Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Can someone explain to me why a lot of red aggro decks are including 'Eidolon of the Great Revel'? It would seem to hurt the red player more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Xeom posted:

Can someone explain to me why a lot of red aggro decks are including 'Eidolon of the Great Revel'? It would seem to hurt the red player more than anything else.

It's two mana and it deals an almost guaranteed two damage to your opponent, and often deals much more.

Aggressive red decks win by killing their opponent before their own gameplan really comes online, so it really doesn't matter how much damage you take.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Xeom posted:

Play it at the proper time and a lot of decks can't do one goddamn thing to it without shocking themselves. You're the guy on the offensive so taking 2 damage to drop a rabblemaster isn't nearly as big of a deal as the person getting punched repeatedly.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Post your list? I like to compare mine vs others. Currently my mainboard is creature-less and heavy on walkers. I got to playtest against jeskai tempo this week and also found that matchup to be fairly comfortable.

This list: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=8278&d=247579&f=ST
+ confluence
-Urborg (lots of junk decks that also run their own Urborg)
-3 Sarkhan
+3 wing mate roc
- thoughtseize
+despise
-empty the pits
+ soul of Innistrad. It's ok but i just didn't like 2 pits in there. Might try Sarkhan in that slot but I actually don't like him right now. He doesn't kill rhinos and trading him for a courser is disgusting.
Played Jeskai twice, mono red twice, Mardu "aggro" (blood champ engine and ash cloud which is really bad in the mirror), and junk 3 times. Lost to junk once due to the siege train rolling in. The only real problem this deck has is that stupid death dealer. It's usually a 2-1 unless you have an utter end.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Chill la Chill posted:

This list: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=8278&d=247579&f=ST
+ confluence
-Urborg (lots of junk decks that also run their own Urborg)
-3 Sarkhan
+3 wing mate roc
- thoughtseize
+despise
-empty the pits
+ soul of Innistrad. It's ok but i just didn't like 2 pits in there. Might try Sarkhan in that slot but I actually don't like him right now. He doesn't kill rhinos and trading him for a courser is disgusting.
Played Jeskai twice, mono red twice, Mardu "aggro" (blood champ engine and ash cloud which is really bad in the mirror), and junk 3 times. Lost to junk once due to the siege train rolling in. The only real problem this deck has is that stupid death dealer. It's usually a 2-1 unless you have an utter end.

Ah ok thats way different than the walker control I'm running.

Do you like mardu charm? I'm not sold on it. I can't imagine wanting it over a downfall or crackling doom very often, but I guess the tokens are good with butcher?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Posting to say 5-color in draft is extremely fun / not out of the question to even force. Tried it for the first time today where I just kept taking lands and powerful cards, and ended up with a sweet deck with a lot of play to it that wasn't boring (like the clan decks can be, I've found). Maybe not the best strategy for an 8-4, but for swiss where you just want to have fun interactive games with a gorgeous mana base it's a sweet deck to draft. The life-gain on the lands + ability to cast morphs in a pinch makes it much more consistent/less painful than you'd think.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Ah ok thats way different than the walker control I'm running.

Do you like mardu charm? I'm not sold on it. I can't imagine wanting it over a downfall or crackling doom very often, but I guess the tokens are good with butcher?

Yeah. They're mostly there against RDW (huge 2-turn blow out) and the more planes walker heavy junk decks. Usually it's turn 1/2 thoughtseize into sign in blood or read the bones and then charm away a walker - or vice versa on the draw. Post board it's not as necessary but there's only one utter end main. You are probably right since charm isn't as good vs. death dealer and rhino but I just really love that instant duress effect.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Sultai going 8-0 warms my heart.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Posting to say 5-color in draft is extremely fun / not out of the question to even force. Tried it for the first time today where I just kept taking lands and powerful cards, and ended up with a sweet deck with a lot of play to it that wasn't boring (like the clan decks can be, I've found). Maybe not the best strategy for an 8-4, but for swiss where you just want to have fun interactive games with a gorgeous mana base it's a sweet deck to draft. The life-gain on the lands + ability to cast morphs in a pinch makes it much more consistent/less painful than you'd think.
Yeah, I had a great run with one on Friday. I feel like I could have taken the semi-finals at least if I hadn't run into an Ashcloud Phoenix, and also if my opponent hadn't watched me play my first round opponent and see most of my morphs.

Am I being a bit weird for being annoyed at that? It probably didn't matter, and I didn't feel comfortable telling him not to watch... but he did have information that I didn't have.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Daily reminder that people who play with their lands in front of their creatures are literally monsters.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Pinwiz11 posted:

Eh? Where is this? Been trying to come up with a good Sultai deck. :ohdear:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So I Jeskai Won Gameday today. I got very lucky in that I didn't see the mirror match all day in the swiss or the top 8. My sick tech(tm) was 4 Glare of Heresy in the SB and it was an all star vs Abzan as well as Mardu (I also boarded 3 Brimaz to bring in vs the mirror and i didn't get to play them all day.) I must have killed Sorin with it at least 4-5 times, Butcher of the Horde too. Apparently there are people who play Abzan without Siege Rhino which led me to shake their hand after winning easily and thank them for not playing Siege Rhino.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
It's on the magic stream. http://www.twitch.tv/magic

It's currently a 8-0 sultai deck vs. a 8-0 temur deck. So its basically win-win for cool decks.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Anyone got that UB list people were talking about earlier on? This standard looks amazing really, pretty tempted to buy into a paper format for the first time in a while!

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Obscil posted:

It's currently a 8-0 sultai deck vs. a 8-0 temur deck. So its basically win-win for cool decks.
Glad both of them are going to Day 2 I think. Neat to see more diverse decks. Now all that's needed is a UW deck or some variation of it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Obscil posted:

Is there a RUG list anywhere?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I ended up placing first at my LGS's Game Day thing with a Mardu Warriors deck that I thought was awful. Ended up beating two Abzan Midrange decks, a Mardu Midrange deck, and a Jeskai Combo, only losing to Mono-Black Aggro in the final round (I was the only undefeated player by round five). It's a fun deck, but there were a few cards I didn't really see played much that I could probably take out and replace with something else. I'll throw up the deck in the deck-building thread thing.

A+ set would pull fetch lands again

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

He said Temur so yes there is, Kibler is running it, 9-0.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

It's looking like a super mild modification of the deck he ran at PTKTK (Pedro Carvalho ran something quite similar). Additions to the 75 look like at least Sarkhan and Disdainful Stroke. I was out most of the day and only saw the tail end of things.

neetengie posted:

gently caress yeah Temur monsters, knew that deck would show up eventually.

It was there last weekend and Pedro scored 21 points with it. It just wasn't paid attention to, even though it was literally the only Temur deck that scored 21+.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

ShaneB posted:

It's looking like a super mild modification of the deck he ran at PTKTK (Pedro Carvalho ran something quite similar). Additions to the 75 look like at least Sarkhan and Disdainful Stroke. I was out most of the day and only saw the tail end of things.

It was there last weekend and Pedro scored 21 points with it. It just wasn't paid attention to, even though it was literally the only Temur deck that scored 21+.
Ah, I didn't notice it at the PT, or I forgot about it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Zorak posted:

Siege Rhino doesn't care if you've got removal, even if you remove it you're basically not outracing the deck it's in. I'm not sure what kind of deck could be built to actually combat it at this point.

I have a deck that beats this one a fairly high percent of the time.

4 mardu ascendancy
4 goblin rabblemaster
3 butcher of the horde
4 swiftspear Monestary
4 crackling doom
2 bloodsoaked champion
3 street denizen
3 magma jet
2 stoke the flames
4 Akroan Hoplite
3 Seeker of the Way
4 Mardu land
4 Bloodstained Mire
1 Plains
1 Swamp
4 Mountain
3 Battlefield Forge
3 w/b pain
3 mana confluence
1 urborg

4 Lightning Strike
1 Magma Jet
2 Stoke the Flames
2 Utter End
4 Thoughtseize
2 Ride Down

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Xeom posted:

It's really easy to fall into the trap of undervaluing effects because they cause you to lose life. Lots of players do it. Try thinking about life as a resource to be spent. The win condition is getting the other guy to zero life as fast as possible. If you're at two life and they're at zero, you win just as much as if you're at twenty and they're at zero.

to phrase it another way, it's fine if your stuff hurts you as long as it kills them before it does you.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

neetengie posted:

He said Temur so yes there is, Kibler is running it, 9-0.

That's why I asked for the list?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'd love to see the 9-0 mardu list.

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
went 3-1-1 on gameday, lost first round of top 8, with minotaurs. Best thing is seeing the surprise on people faces when you drop kragma warcaller for 3 colorless on turn 4 and hit them for a million.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Pinwiz11 posted:

As someone who got utterly destroyed playing sultai I'd also be very interested in seeing this deck

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

That's why I asked for the list?

I too would like the Temur list,

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I head judged a PTQ yesterday at Brothers Grim in Long Island that went pretty well. We got 128 players on the dot. I don't know how many people know this, but 129 players is 8 rounds. We were one player short of having to be there an extra hour.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
Heads up, MTGO appears to be having a meltdown again. The event I'm in has stalled and the tech support chatroom suggests that it's far from the only one.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
Ended up taking 2nd at Game Day yesterday with Mardu Control. Got a playmat and my only loss was to a deck running Clever Impersonators and Scuttling Doom Engines which I just couldn't figure out how to deal with short of pulling them from his hands with Thoughtseize and Despise which I didn't see game 2 or 3.

Deck List:
Deck: Mardu Control

//Lands
2 Battlefield Forge
2 Caves of Koilos
3 Mountain
4 Nomad Outpost
2 Plains
2 Swamp
3 Temple of Malice
3 Temple of Silence
2 Temple of Triumph
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

//Spells
1 Murderous Cut
4 Anger of the Gods
4 Crackling Doom
2 Despise
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
3 End Hostilities
4 Hero's Downfall
2 Utter End
1 Liliana Vess
3 Mardu Charm
3 Read the Bones
2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
2 Thoughtseize

//Creatures
3 Stormbreath Dragon

//Sideboard
3 Nyx-Fleece Ram
2 Thoughtseize
2 Despise
1 Mardu Charm
3 Drown in Sorrow
2 Hushwing Gryff
2 Resolute Archangel

Display deck statistics

Edit: changed the decklist style.

Obsoletely Fabulous fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 19, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I wonder why Andre Basista didn't run a playset of Courser of Kruphix like every other green deck for Temur Midrange.

Puzzling.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Count Bleck posted:

I wonder why Andre Basista didn't run a playset of Courser of Kruphix like every other green deck for Temur Midrange.
Did you puzzle over Sigrist's list as well?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Ended up taking 2nd at Game Day yesterday with Mardu Control. Got a playmat and my only loss was to a deck running Clever Impersonators and Scuttling Doom Engines which I just couldn't figure out how to deal with short of pulling them from his hands with Thoughtseize and Despise which I didn't see game 2 or 3.

Deck List:

Whatever you are using to make this decklist, please don't. It absolutely trashes the mobile client.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Toshimo posted:

Whatever you are using to make this decklist, please don't. It absolutely trashes the mobile client.

Looks fine on Awful

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I played against this UG morph deck on MTGO last night that seemed really complex and interesting, so I found a rough list for it (version I played against had Caryatids, although I don't know if they're worth running) and it's a ton of fun to play. It's also cheap as poo poo with the one mythic in it not even being $1. And who knows, maybe the next set will bring more morph enablers and it could become a legit archetype. Nobody packs enchantment removal and if you're able to get one Trail of Mystery and one Secret Plans down, every creature you have basically becomes value town.

Here's the list.

http://deckstats.net/decks/4727/135759-ug-morph/en

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Wurzag posted:

As someone who got utterly destroyed playing sultai I'd also be very interested in seeing this deck

From what I could tell it was at least

4 Elvish Mystic
4 Caryatid
4 Courser
4 Nyx Weaver
4 Sidisi
4 Downfall
4 Murderous Cut
4 Satyr Wayfinder

And at least 2 Whips and 2 Hornet Queens and 1 Soul of Innistrad.

The only thing with Delve main deck was Murderous Cut, but there was an Empty the Pits in the sideboard. Sideboard also had 3 Bile Blights, 2 Silence the Believers, and 3 Negates.

We'll probably find out the exact list at the end of the weekend.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 19, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fish Of Doom posted:

From what I could tell it was at least

4 Caryatid
4 Courser
4 Nyx Weaver
4 Sidisi
4 Downfall
4 Murderous Cut
4 Satyr Wayfinder

And at least 2 Whips and 2 Hornet Queens

The only thing with Delve main deck was Murderous Cut, but there was an Empty the Pits in the sideboard. Sideboard also had 3 Bile Blights, 2 Silence the Believers, and 3 Negates.

We'll probably find out the exact list at the end of the weekend.

Someone has brewed this on my LGS and it seemed awfully lackluster. There has to be some other tech to make this work.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Toshimo posted:

That's deckstats.net's bbcode output, and it seems fine on awful for me.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ShaneB posted:

Looks fine on Awful

It's the mana icons. For some godawful reason, deckstats is still using .gifs for it so the android awful app does this:

Like, every other deckstats list I've seen has been fine, but they don't do the mana icons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Toshimo posted:

It's the mana icons. For some godawful reason, deckstats is still using .gifs for it so the android awful app does this:

Like, every other deckstats list I've seen has been fine, but they don't do the mana icons.

Yeah, I've seen that a lot too, but forgot to mention it.

• Locked thread