Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

Just got Charlemagne. What should I know about the new tribe system? And what happens when/if you go over the vassal limit? I'm assuming that mega blobs are less frequent now, unless you limit yourself to emperor titles and hand out King and Lower stuff.

Tribes: Stay Tribal until you have maxed out Hillforts in ALL of your demesne holdings or oyu'll get painful wrong holding penalties and every other tribe near you will jump on your dick and kill you. When you do go feudal, vassals who are still tribal will get a wrong government type opinion malus so keep that in mind.

Vassal limit is like going over your demesne, limiting the amount of troops you can call up. I don't think there's an opinion penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

My really good tip for making money as a tribe is to set your chaplain on permanent religious relations improvement on any vassal bishops that are paying tax to the pope instead of you. It makes a huge difference when you are getting nothing from your crummy tribal holdings.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

europe is unlovable

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

For some reason my caliph can't start any plots, which is a problem because I really want some of his wives dead. He doesn't have the content trait so that's not what's causing this. Is this a bug or are there other traits/conditions that can prevent you from running plots? I'm running the beta patch if it matters. Restarting doesn't fix it.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

What is the fastest way to get to primogeniture as Charlemagne?

Since you can only raise crown limit once and it's two steps above where the game starts, you can't do it as king.

I created the Francia empire, but then that required High Authority to switch from Gavelking.

What the heck am I missing?

crm fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 19, 2014

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Hreinhold posted:

Does it make any kind of sense for the Shia Caliph to be a vassal under the Sunni Caliph?

No, especially because stabbing out his entire line as the Sunni Caliph will lead to you inheriting the Shia Caliphate (at least this used to be teh case, haven't tried since CM came out)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

crm posted:

What is the fastest way to get to primogeniture as Charlemagne?

Since you can only raise crown limit once and it's two steps above where the game starts, you can't do it as king.

I created the Francia empire, but then that required High Authority to switch from Gavelking.

What the heck am I missing?

1. Set succession to ultimogenerature
2. Wait
3. Raise Crown Authority
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3

If you're more daring.

1. Set Free Investiture
2. Set any unmarried male sons to be bishops
3. Plot murder current bishop (this usually is really easy)
4. Hope you only have one kid left in the line for succession.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

axeil posted:

1. Set succession to ultimogenerature
2. Wait
3. Raise Crown Authority
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3

If you're more daring.

1. Set Free Investiture
2. Set any unmarried male sons to be bishops
3. Plot murder current bishop (this usually is really easy)
4. Hope you only have one kid left in the line for succession.

What does the Ultimogeniture step do?

And what am I waiting for?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Ultimogeniture is a lot better than Gavelkind. What you wait for is for the next opportunity to raise the Crown Authority - i.e. your next ruler.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

crm posted:

What does the Ultimogeniture step do?

And what am I waiting for?

Ultimogeniture works like primogeniture does except your youngest son inherits. It'll allow you to keep all your kingdoms, dukedoms and counties with one kid rather than splitting them up. Since you can only change crown authority once in a ruler's life time you up it once you can an then wait for the current king to die.

Honestly, playing with gavelkind once you have Francia established is way more fun, so I'd go with that route. Plus you're going to royally piss off all your vassals when you switch to ultimo.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

axeil posted:

Ultimogeniture works like primogeniture does except your youngest son inherits. It'll allow you to keep all your kingdoms, dukedoms and counties with one kid rather than splitting them up. Since you can only change crown authority once in a ruler's life time you up it once you can an then wait for the current king to die.

Honestly, playing with gavelkind once you have Francia established is way more fun, so I'd go with that route. Plus you're going to royally piss off all your vassals when you switch to ultimo.

I can't play without having personal control over the whole world.

I'd actually be ok if I could pick and choose what each son gets, but alas.

Ultimogeniture doesn't seem to be an option?

crm fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 19, 2014

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

crm posted:

I can't play without having personal control over the whole world.

I'd actually be ok if I could pick and choose what each son gets, but alas.

Ultimogeniture doesn't seem to be an option?

One thing you could do is to let gavelkind split things up, but then either plot murder your brother, wait for him to plot and imprison/execute him or make your character celibate so when he dies your brother gets everything. Also try marrying your kids to women in their 30s so they only have a few kids.

Check your crown authority. I think ultimo might require medium.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

The Cheshire Cat posted:

When I was playing Charlemange, I kept the Lombard wife until I had a son, then assassinated the King of Lombardy followed by my wife so the claim would pass to my son, then pressed the claim, then revoked the title after he raised crown authority to low.

Presto, HRE formed!

A few notes:
-The King of Lombardy actually died on his own, but I could have assassinated him if I wanted since I had enough support to get about 100% plot power.
-The successor to the king needs to be under 16 so you'll be able to press your son's weak claim (you don't want to press your wife's strong claim since she won't be a vassal after you win, not being part of your dynasty). Generally this will be the case, but you might need to kill a couple Lombardy Kings depending on how the timing of everything works out.
-You need to form the Empire of Francia before pressing your son's claim, but doing so is pretty trivial as Charlemange so odds are good you'll have it before you can even set any of this up.

As it turns out, Karloman's wife fleeing gives you a claim on the top level title of whomsoevers court she flees to. My first game she fled to Asturias, this game she fled to Lombardy, and presto!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Tiler Kiwi posted:

europe is unlovable

what the hell happened :pirate:

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

lenoon posted:

United France is an anachronism in much of the period anyway - even periods in our history was France was a united country, south of the Loire was ethnically, linguistically an politically a different country. The treaty of verdun may well have make Aquitaine a nominal kingship, but there's no necessary reason why that should happen in any alternate timeline. If you'd gone back to Carolingian times, it would have seemed absolutely bizarre to say that France somehow "naturally" went from the channel in the north to the Pyrenees in the south.

Aquitaine was only made into France in the 12th century and then, after Eleanor's marriage to Henry the second of England, it became a separate country again - part of England. It was taken by France at the en of the Hundred Years' War.

Even after that (so "France" as we know it now exists, the South was effectively a separate country. Cathars, Huguenots, Occitan and more connection to Italy and the basques than to the northern franks.

It's not ahistorical to have the country completely riven by war over who owns Aquitaine. If anything, it's too drat historical and forces a weak France until someone sufficiently badass comes along and welds the country into one nation, which really is probably the bourbons!

As you say the kingdom of Aquitaine was absorbed into West Francia shortly after the Treaty of Verdun. Also, the last holder of the title of King of Aquitaine was in 884. Under normal game mechanics the title would have drifted into "West Francia" by 984. Any independence for Occitania at 1066 is better represented by independent or low crown authority dukes - as exists in the 1066 start. It's also worth noting that by 1066 the notion of a channel to Pyrenees "West Francia" was not at all alien.

Again, the problem with the Aquitaine title is that it always ends up being created. This always results in a weak France so that the medieval France as we did know it never becomes a possibility.

Besides, if a player or AI duke of Aquitaine wants to go totally independent and recreate the title of King of Aquitaine the duchy set up at 1066 is tailor made for this possibility, now that custom kingdom titles are in.

Tercio fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 19, 2014

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Has anyone here been playing HIP with the new EMF module? Just downloaded the new version of the mod and saw that. Thoughts?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Where the hell is the option to create/upgrade stone hillforts? Every one of my economic techs is at least 1, but the only holdings I or drat near anyone else have are temples. I can't build new holdings as a tribe, and all the temples just show your standard church upgrades. Shouldn't I have the tribal version of a barony, not the tribal version a church, at least in my capital? Not seeing anyone else ask this, so hopefully my game isn't bugged. I was trying to figure out how to switch to feudalism before...well

So hosed. Created the empire of scandinavia with my last character. When he died, it split up 3 kingdoms, the empire, and the fylkarite. Not sure exactly why the kingdom of svibjod became independent with the new viceroyalty thing when Norway stayed my vassal. :iiam: Also lolfrance. The Umayyad's came up and took over Aquitane, so the pope called a crusade, and then the teutonic order took over. Then the Umayyad turned into the Fezzid which I'd never seen before.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

What they need to do is remove France's desire to become Francia because it's only forming Aquitaine in order to start meeting the requirements for Francia.

Creating Francia requires at least 2 kingdom titles and one of them has to be something other than its four de jure kingdoms (France, Aquitaine, Brittany, Burgundy I believe). So in fact the king of France creating Aquitaine accomplishes nothing toward that end.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

When splitting up new areas to give to vassals, should I keep the ones that have like 5 possible holdings for myself and pass the one or two holdings ones to my courtiers as vassals? I'm assuming the more holdings the better, so I can keep money and troops for myself?

Edit: and does it matter if they're spread out or grouped up? I have 6 personal areas, and some of them are at the bottom of sweden and some in the middle, since they seemed like the best provinces.

queeb fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 19, 2014

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

Where the hell is the option to create/upgrade stone hillforts? Every one of my economic techs is at least 1, but the only holdings I or drat near anyone else have are temples. I can't build new holdings as a tribe, and all the temples just show your standard church upgrades. Shouldn't I have the tribal version of a barony, not the tribal version a church, at least in my capital? Not seeing anyone else ask this, so hopefully my game isn't bugged.

Stone Hillforts are the level 4 upgrade of forts in your actual tribe building list.

Should be

Hillfort
Town
Shipbuilder
those 4 prestige buildings that probably have names but gently caress them.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dunatis Ishmael posted:

Stone Hillforts are the level 4 upgrade of forts in your actual tribe building list.

Should be

Hillfort
Town
Shipbuilder
those 4 prestige buildings that probably have names but gently caress them.

How do I get to that page?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

queeb posted:

When splitting up new areas to give to vassals, should I keep the ones that have like 5 possible holdings for myself and pass the one or two holdings ones to my courtiers as vassals? I'm assuming the more holdings the better, so I can keep money and troops for myself?

Edit: and does it matter if they're spread out or grouped up? I have 6 personal areas, and some of them are at the bottom of sweden and some in the middle, since they seemed like the best provinces.

Try and keep counties which have a lot of holdings, yes. If you can, move your capital duchy to one where you can hold as many really good counties as possible.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Volkerball posted:

How do I get to that page?

Just click on the image of the tribal holding itself. You'll then see a list of all sorts of things you can upgrade - some costing gold some costing prestige. The hillfort is, I think, at the top of the list and costs gold to upgrade.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ray and Shirley posted:

Just click on the image of the tribal holding itself. You'll then see a list of all sorts of things you can upgrade - some costing gold some costing prestige. The hillfort is, I think, at the top of the list and costs gold to upgrade.

please tell me you don't mean it's supposed to be here.

edit: I FIGURED IT OUT.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 19, 2014

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Yes, but the holding in that image is religous. You want a tribal holding, which is the little collection of huts above it.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Volkerball posted:

Nono, click the other holding, the one that's all huts and stuff.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Your capital is the city at the top left, not the Temple. Click on that to upgrade your holdings. This confused me a bit to start with too, TBF.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I got it now. Never noticed that picture up there before. Thanks guys.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
I wish founding republics wasn't so buggy. Even pre-expansion it seems like every republic I found has two houses from my dynasty. Its nice cause whatever they build(like palace upgrades) goes to you instead. Its annoying because they build trade posts in annoying places keeping you at the cap so you can't build any where you want(like main will be 5/3 while the ai will be 0/2 and allowed to build). Thanks AI, I really needed that one county trade zone with no cities in western ireland.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

lenoon posted:

United France is an anachronism in much of the period anyway - even periods in our history was France was a united country, south of the Loire was ethnically, linguistically an politically a different country. The treaty of verdun may well have make Aquitaine a nominal kingship, but there's no necessary reason why that should happen in any alternate timeline. If you'd gone back to Carolingian times, it would have seemed absolutely bizarre to say that France somehow "naturally" went from the channel in the north to the Pyrenees in the south.

Aquitaine was only made into France in the 12th century and then, after Eleanor's marriage to Henry the second of England, it became a separate country again - part of England. It was taken by France at the en of the Hundred Years' War.

Even after that (so "France" as we know it now exists, the South was effectively a separate country. Cathars, Huguenots, Occitan and more connection to Italy and the basques than to the northern franks.

It's not ahistorical to have the country completely riven by war over who owns Aquitaine. If anything, it's too drat historical and forces a weak France until someone sufficiently badass comes along and welds the country into one nation, which really is probably the bourbons!

I mean historically the military authority of the first Capetians ended at their personal domain and if they even tried to tour the "realm" they had a pretty good chance of being arrested by the dukes. Maybe France should be tribal or explode if a non-Karling ends up on the throne.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 19, 2014

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

what the hell happened :pirate:

i have no idea. assuming a bug, since the sunni horde in india went loving catholic as well despite being utterly disconnected from any catholics.

the 2nd crusade for greece saw, at the very least, 500,000 dead. it went on for around 15 years.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Sankis posted:

I'm having an issue where my neighbors seem to be in perpetual war state with me.

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/23967657847697912/79BAD2BC87D3744344A844B8C1BD0D6917D5F47F/

As you can see, I'm not in any wars. I also don't believe I have any vassals that are at war. It seemed to have happened about 10 in game years ago and never went away. I can't tell if it's a bug or something i'm overlooking.

I'm Saxony and currently Catholic. Poland and the various OPMS in Scanadanavia are the only pagans. The only thing I can think of is that I married a daughter to the Byzantine Emperor who is orthodox.

I wish I had something productive to say, but the three or four times I hit that bug my save was ultimately corrupted. I hope someone here can actually help fix the thing but my advice would be to roll back to before you hit it, if you're able.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i have no idea. assuming a bug, since the sunni horde in india went loving catholic as well despite being utterly disconnected from any catholics.

the 2nd crusade for greece saw, at the very least, 500,000 dead. it went on for around 15 years.

another crusade

you know things are going to be great when a battle with 100k people in it is worth only 5.55% warscore :unsmigghh:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

another crusade

you know things are going to be great when a battle with 100k people in it is worth only 5.55% warscore :unsmigghh:

doublepost but who cares because ahahahahahahahaha what the loving hell

the pope is a goddamn sayyid. the gently caress has gone wrong in this medieval shithole????

also the aztec, whom i were hoping were going to smash into the mainland, went and hosed around in england and scandenavia before imploding near instantly, without ever getting a crusade called on them.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the pope is a goddamn sayyid. the gently caress has gone wrong in this medieval shithole????

No, the Pope is Umayyad. :staredog:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the pope is a goddamn sayyid.

The Pope is an Umayyad. :stare:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

also the aztec, whom i were hoping were going to smash into the mainland, went and hosed around in england and scandenavia before imploding near instantly, without ever getting a crusade called on them.

And the pope has over 500,000 gold?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I wish the game would give you the option to go to the character portrait of the person that is being targeted by a plot. I don't know all of my courtiers' names by heart, I usually just click End Plot to be on the safe side because I have no idea who they're trying to assassinate. I also wish the game would give you more information when it says someone acted dishonorably towards you and you can imprison them. What exactly did they do?

Am I missing something, is there an easy way to find these things out?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Cantorsdust posted:

And the pope has over 500,000 gold?

Well if 2/3 of the world is Catholic, that doesn't seem unreasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I need to vassalize and banish that pope. I need that papal gold.

e: speaking of religious heads, the head of the Zoroastrian faith is a vassal of the Golden Horde for some hosed up reason. He was mine, then the Ilkhanate got him after I lost Khiva, then he bounced over to the Mongols for some reason after the Ilkhanate got overthrown by rebels. I'm never going to see him again.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 19, 2014

• Locked thread