Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

DeadBonesBrook posted:

A friend of mine is going as Hodor from Game of Thrones for Halloween and we are trying to find out the exact name for the style of clothing/outfit he is wearing in this picture to get it as close as possible (we are also making a fake Bran for him to carry). I was wondering if any of you cosplay knowledgeable folk could help us out?

Monk cassock I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DeadBonesBrook posted:

A friend of mine is going as Hodor from Game of Thrones for Halloween and we are trying to find out the exact name for the style of clothing/outfit he is wearing in this picture to get it as close as possible

Sneak into Shaquille O'Neal's house and steal one of his turtleneck sweaters and you're done.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

EDIT: Dumb joke, please ignore

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

Ooh! What are you doing this time? Is it your chaos berserker again or something new?

Since my Chaos outfit I have also done a new Sister of Battle suit, my first version was back in 2011 before I knew how to make things light and relatively comfortable :gonk: but I love the look so much I rebuilt it this year and it is probably my favorite of all my costumes. My group is normally 4 people but we had only previously been able to do a photoshoot with myself and my husband so today we finally got all 4 of us together for some shots. I'll post some pictures once I get them back from our photographer but in the meantime here's me from our last photoshoot!

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

"You don't like it, you can kiss my furry little butt!" :3:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
You too might one day join... THE PARADE OF SUPER-STARS
if you go back in time to 1971

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That Blackbolt is loving fly

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

To give some perspective when I was a kid other than Batman there were almost no live-action superhero shows so costume contests were a place to see something like a "real" superhero.

In the late 1970s there was a TV show called "Legends of the Superheroes" that I was very pumped for because it was loaded with characters including the main actors from Batman, and for unknown reasons Charlie Callas as Sinestro!

Take a look at this image and see the state of the art in 1979. Don't miss the bomb-rear end Solomon Grundy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dick Trauma posted:

"Legends of the Superheroes"

There's a few snippets of it kicking around youtube, like the intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg2EvhTAer8

And then there's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Dv83BM_5w

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: Dumb joke, please ignore

Do even get SA?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

mind the walrus posted:

I'm surprised that there were 2 Black Bolts there. 70's cosplay was weird.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
There's also 2 caps. One with Red Shield and one with Trashcan Shield.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A bunch of grown nerds in the 70s identify/have a power fantasy about an unassuming man in a badass outfit who is a king, is married to a hot redhead, and can destroy cities with his voice but is too noble to ever use such power? Yeah I'm shocked.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The first ever known cosplay at a con:

quote:

1939: Forrest J. Ackerman, perhaps the greatest fan of science fiction who ever lived, attended the first ever World Science Fiction Convention, or Worldcon, in “futuristicostume.” Ackerman “strode the streets looking like a proto-superhero” speaking Esperanto with his friend and the designer of his costume, Myrtle Douglas. He was the first sci-fi fan to attend a conference in costume.

People have been cosplaying at scifi cons for seventy five years.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The first ever known cosplay at a con:

Ackerman was a cool dude. He's a picture of him dancing at the con.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Dick Trauma posted:

This looks like bonus material that should come with some collector's edition of The Watchmen.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Had a ton of photos taken, I'm justing hoping that the photographers rememeber to e-mail me the copies. In the meantime, here's what I managed to find from Saturday -

Guess who managed to tuck their cloak under the belt. Also, it is extremely difficult to get the cloak/cowl just right when you've got gloves on. I need an official handler to make sure ma head looks gud.

McKilligan has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Oct 19, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:stare:

I apologize for the 1970s. There were at least four or five minutes of that decade that weren't like this.

Content:

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

McKilligan posted:

Had a ton of photos taken, I'm justing hoping that the photographers rememeber to e-mail me the copies. In the meantime, here's what I managed to find from Saturday -

Guess who manages to put tuck their clock under the belt. Also, it is extremely difficult to get the cloak/cowl just right when you've got gloves on. I need an official handler to make sure ma head looks gud.

Bah, best Artorias has horribly shredded legs. Where's your dedication?
It is amazing

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Being that Halloween's this month and Blizzcon's next month...

e: 2011 IIRC

DeusExMachinima has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Oct 19, 2014

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

McKilligan posted:

Guess who managed to tuck their cloak under the belt. Also, it is extremely difficult to get the cloak/cowl just right when you've got gloves on. I need an official handler to make sure ma head looks gud.

drat, you look fantastic. Never played Dark Souls (im guessing dark souls?) but that looks sick. Looks like it would actually work as armour, which is a bonus. Whats it made out of?

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

McPantserton posted:

Since my Chaos outfit I have also done a new Sister of Battle suit, my first version was back in 2011 before I knew how to make things light and relatively comfortable :gonk: but I love the look so much I rebuilt it this year and it is probably my favorite of all my costumes. My group is normally 4 people but we had only previously been able to do a photoshoot with myself and my husband so today we finally got all 4 of us together for some shots. I'll post some pictures once I get them back from our photographer but in the meantime here's me from our last photoshoot!

This is so awesome. You and the Sisters of Battle own.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Flakey posted:

This is so awesome. You and the Sisters of Battle own.

Thank you! I have been in love with the Sisters since I first discovered Warhammer when I worked at a game store in high school. My best friend went as a Sister Hospitaller and for this shoot I finally remembered to do my fleur de lis face tattoo (still wearing it because I'm extremely cool) so I am super, super excited to see how the pictures came out :D

McKilligan posted:

Said it before, saying again, this turned out soooooo badass. Makes me want to do something with chainmail so bad.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
That's a loving dope Artorias. Congratulations.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

McKilligan posted:

The important thing is do you have the off-kilter walk down?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

McKilligan posted:

A Badass Artorias
No giant wolf with comically large sword in it's mouth, 2/10. :colbert:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm amused that someone went as Super Steranko. If Mr. Miracle hadn't debuted a few months before that con, I'd suspect some influence there.

Also, I saw Ghost Rider in the list of characters and it took me a second to remember that flaming skull Ghost Rider hadn't debuted yet. So someone went as the western character Ghost Rider...

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Dooky Dingo posted:

No giant wolf with comically large sword in it's mouth, 2/10. :colbert:

Who do you think took the picture?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Manus.

I could imagine post-corruption that the guys chilled out and hang together.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
Boy I'm dumb sometimes. Mispost.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Roblo posted:

drat, you look fantastic. Never played Dark Souls (im guessing dark souls?) but that looks sick. Looks like it would actually work as armour, which is a bonus. Whats it made out of?

EVA foam and Polyurethane resin. Not the easiest crap in the world to work with, but the only materials I could find in ready supply, and suprisingly resilient! I'm proud to say that the entire costume made it through the day without any noticeable wear and tear. That was a big relief, since I'd only ever worn the drat thing for about 5 minutes at a time before. It was also suprisingly comfortable, the only drawback being that I've got a lot of difficulty bending down, but standing is just fine.

McPantserton posted:

Said it before, saying again, this turned out soooooo badass. Makes me want to do something with chainmail so bad.

Hope you've either got pre-made rings or about a billion spare hours - that crap takes FOREVER (but goddamn does it feel good when it's done)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
FF14's Garuda at the fan festival cosplay competition:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Since my Doctor's been all over this thread as of late, I think it's appropriate to allow my... ugh... replacement some well-deserved attention. Behold, the best Seventh Doctor cosplayer you'll ever see:

He's an NY local, so we've established a bit of an in-character double-act for conventions and events that largely consists of me indignantly objecting moralistically to his machiavellian machinations while he taps his umbrella to the floor impatiently while calmly walking away.

He's about a head-and-a-bit shorter than me, too, which makes it even better because I have to really contort to make eye contact, especially around the brim of his hat, so the "blocking" of the bit is really easy to maintain even while navigating crowded convention halls.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

McPantserton posted:

Hay fever is herecy.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

McPantserton posted:

Well let's make up for it with real cosplay, here's my best friend as Kerrigan and me and my other bestie lumbering along behind her.

McKilligan posted:

These two pics are reason enough for this thread to exist. So loving amazing.

As an aside, I have one week to make a Meganman buster cannon. Anyone have any advice on what to use to construct it?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Benson Cunningham posted:

These two pics are reason enough for this thread to exist. So loving amazing.

As an aside, I have one week to make a Meganman buster cannon. Anyone have any advice on what to use to construct it?

Check out a few tutorials on instructables.com , there is one a dad did for his son that isn't challenging.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Since my Doctor's been all over this thread as of late, I think it's appropriate to allow my... ugh... replacement some well-deserved attention. Behold, the best Seventh Doctor cosplayer you'll ever see:

He's an NY local, so we've established a bit of an in-character double-act for conventions and events that largely consists of me indignantly objecting moralistically to his machiavellian machinations while he taps his umbrella to the floor impatiently while calmly walking away.

He's about a head-and-a-bit shorter than me, too, which makes it even better because I have to really contort to make eye contact, especially around the brim of his hat, so the "blocking" of the bit is really easy to maintain even while navigating crowded convention halls.

You really do need a curly haired wig now to complete the look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Found a few more! The e-mails from photographers begin to trickle in. I'm hoping the best are yet to come.

This last one was one I found on some Korean messageboard - someone went ahead and photoshopped me in the arena.

• Locked thread