Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

floofyscorp posted:

Booked into the vet next weekend, I just hope she's not in too much discomfort in the meantime.

Next weekend? You got to get her to the vet as soon as possible, Monday would be best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Kidney Stone posted:

Next weekend? You got to get her to the vet as soon as possible, Monday would be best!

Really? The receptionist didn't seem to think it was that urgent. She said for male cats it's an emergency, but for female cats, not so much. We'd have difficulty getting to the vet on Monday cause I don't drive and my partner works too late to get to the vet before they close :/

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

She is looking for other places to pee because she's associated the litterbox with pain. If you've ever had a bladder infection... They HURT. I would really try getting her checked out sooner.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

fozzie dunlop posted:

We took him to the vet last week and got him all his shots, and the vet estimated his age at around two or three months. Now all that's left is to get him neutered, but I've heard conflicting reports about when the best time for that is. Some say three to six months is the best window, others say any time from six months up to a year old. What would you recommend?

Such a cutie :3

Tali was fixed at 11 weeks, we took her home when she was 11 weeks 4 days. I wouldn't wait longer than you have to, as soon as the vet says it's safe you should provably get it done.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

When I adopted my little terror from the Humane Society, they said "2 months or 2 pounds" for spaying - and I think Betty was right around both. She was just fine after!

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Well, drat, I sprayed my cat like around 6 months when she got her first... dark urges? (Don't know the technical term.) I'm pretty sure I'd read a recommendation somewhere on the Internet... Oh, my Grams was surprised to find that out, thinking it was supposed to happen after the first litter... Things people think used to be so different (6 years ago)... I feel old... :(

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's the best way to get my cat to stop chewing on cords? When I first got him I was worried about this behavior but he seemed fine about it until just recently, he's destroyed a few of my cords now - various device charges and some headphones, he seems to like the thinner cords, I also thought he was only doing it when I was around but I found a destroyed cord I'm not entirely sure when he got to it. I've heard of sprays - would that be safe or the kind of thing I'd want to use on cords/around electronics?

e: In particular, if I do use sprays, will he start to associate cord = bad taste in general? I want to make sure it's a habit he stops so I don't have to coat all my cables.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 20, 2014

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

What's the best way to get my cat to stop chewing on cords? When I first got him I was worried about this behavior but he seemed fine about it until just recently, he's destroyed a few of my cords now - various device charges and some headphones, he seems to like the thinner cords, I also thought he was only doing it when I was around but I found a destroyed cord I'm not entirely sure when he got to it. I've heard of sprays - would that be safe or the kind of thing I'd want to use on cords/around electronics?

e: In particular, if I do use sprays, will he start to associate cord = bad taste in general? I want to make sure it's a habit he stops so I don't have to coat all my cables.

I put hot sauce on all my wires until my cat stopped chewing them. It only took one or two tastes until she started ignoring all the wires in the house.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

The one convenient thing about cats is that most of them form associations of "I did this thing and it was unpleasant so now I will never do it again" very quickly. The best way to get them to stop doing anything is to make it seem like a bad idea to do it for a while, and hopefully it'll stick. So if you can get a spray that's safe and that your cat hates, you're in with a pretty good chance.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Slimy Hog posted:

I put hot sauce on all my wires until my cat stopped chewing them. It only took one or two tastes until she started ignoring all the wires in the house.

This sounds like a much better idea than bitter apple spray, seeing as I've seen a bunch of cats who simply dgaf about those sprays.

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe

Slimy Hog posted:

Until you get the cats like ours who LOVE spicy things. Noisy will try to climb inside your mouth for Sriracha.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

(Don't actually give this to a cat)

England Sucks
Sep 19, 2014

by XyloJW
The cat my sister ended up getting is a total sweetheart.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Today is the 3-month mark on introducing my two cats to the GF's two cats. Three of them have gotten along since about the 4th week, but one of the new cats has LOATHED my pair since they first "met" through the doorframe after a week in the new house. I'm talking death shouts, spitting, and pissing herself in fear just from seeing the other cats on the other side of a patio door.

Last night she walked by my cats and just let out a brief "hiss" before keeping on her way. PROGRESS

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
My cat likes to take what I call 'Pudding Poop'. It's gross and smelly and I think it started after I took him to the vet 2 weeks ago. It started before I started switching him away from purina so don't think it's a diet change. He seems nice and meowy and normal besides from his poop smell making you want to throw up when it makes its way around the house.

:(

England Sucks
Sep 19, 2014

by XyloJW
What food do you recommend that is somewhat affordable my sister's boyfriend uses Iams Proactive Health but i'm not sure whether that's really all that great.

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
I feed my cat Wellness Core dry in the evenings and a little can of Wellness in the morning. It's worked really well for me, the dry food lasts longer than the other foods I've tried, I guess because the cat doesn't need to eat as much as with other foods?

I think if I fed just dry it'd be somewhere around $30-$35 a month. You might find a better deal online.

Danith posted:

My cat likes to take what I call 'Pudding Poop'. It's gross and smelly and I think it started after I took him to the vet 2 weeks ago. It started before I started switching him away from purina so don't think it's a diet change. He seems nice and meowy and normal besides from his poop smell making you want to throw up when it makes its way around the house.

:(

Toast had this problem when he was much younger. For him, it was the food I was feeding him, and I had to try a bunch of different brands until I found one that didn't screw up his digestive tract. Stress will cause pudding poop, too, and I've found that it often doesn't take much to stress him out.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
My cat just tried to groom me, and of course my long hair ended up getting tangled up on her tongue.

A new reason for me to get another cat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pudding's been making... well pudding-ish poops in the cat litter. Very soft wet poops, three from today and one last night. What should I do here besides call the vet? He's as active as ever and his usual self, just his poops are squishy

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 21, 2014

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Pudding's been making... well pudding-ish poops in the cat litter. Very soft wet poops, three from today and one last night. What should I do here besides call the vet? He's as active as ever and his usual self, just his poops are squishy

Check with your vet, if they can test a poo samples without seeing the cat. When was Pudding last wormed?

Make sure Pudding doesn't get dehydrated. This video will show you how to check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyJTJ0sFkmQ

I personally would boil all my bowl and wipe all feeding areas down with hospital grade disinfectant. Salmonella is really hard to get of pet dishes according to this study . I would also probably clean out the litter boxes because of the paw to month action.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1555674/

Someone else might have some better ideas.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

England Sucks posted:

The cat my sister ended up getting is a total sweetheart.

:hellyeah:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I wash their food bowls daily and their water bowls every few days since both cats showed signs of feline acne. His skin is bouncy and fine. I dont worm them because they're indoor cats, though I did have a catsitter come in last week while I was away. Could they have been exposed?

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
So I've been doing a lot of reading up on Feline Interstitial Cystitis and I guess I'm just stuck with a pee-prone cat for the rest of her life.
I've got a Feliway diffusers in every room of the apartment, took the cover off of the litterbox, added a second one, and put the CatAttract additive in both.

So far so good. Apparently when FIC flares up there's not much you can do about it except wait it out, and the only thing you can do is prevent it by reducing the cat's stress levels. My girlfriend and I are doing everything we can for Stella, including giving her more play time when she shows interest, giving her more space, and avoiding further drastic changes.

Even if it comes down to getting Stella prozac, I'll do it. You may have lived on the street at one time, cat, but never again :argh:

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

FWIW my black cat has been doing better. Fewer hisses yesterday and she even played with the white cat.

We had 3 15 year old boy house guests for a few days and they just left so I think maybe that's why she was acting a fool.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

I wash their food bowls daily and their water bowls every few days since both cats showed signs of feline acne. His skin is bouncy and fine. I dont worm them because they're indoor cats, though I did have a catsitter come in last week while I was away. Could they have been exposed?

Possibly, if the sitter brought a flea in and cat ate it. Could also be that she's just stressed out because you were away? I'd just call the vet and see what they recommend.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Now they're both squirting from their butts. Cookie's lost his appetite completely and isnt even up to grooming himself, Pudding's still a playful happy butthead. :smith: Gonna be a long hour before the vet opens.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

This is Betty, 5ish months old, about to try and eat my face:

Three or four hours ago, when she was trying to kill me, I thought I saw two fangs on the lower left.

Looked it up, saw that it sometimes happens.

So, an hour or so ago, when she was trying to kill me, I got a looksie in her mouth, and saw only one fang and a little blood.

(Wasn't my blood.)

She seems fine, just ate an errant piece of cereal… doesn't appear to be in pain.

S'all good?

She's currently on a time out for running at full speed and jumping six feet up into the vertical blinds. Sigh. Cat.

SynthOrange, I hope your kitties feel better soon. :(

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

spinst posted:

S'all good?

Probably just lost her baby tooth. No worries. Our little idiot didn't have front teeth for a couple weeks!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

spinst posted:

SynthOrange, I hope your kitties feel better soon. :(

I hope so too, having the cats blasting the litterbox with watery poops is getting kind of gross.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

marchantia posted:

Probably just lost her baby tooth. No worries. Our little idiot didn't have front teeth for a couple weeks!

I was pretty alarmed seeing the double fang action. One fang hurts bad enough!

Hopefully now that it's not bothering her, she'll chew less… right? …right? :ohdear:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
We have three cats that we feed separately. At this point they're 5,6 and 7 years old. The 6 year old is a male and has been checked at the vet who says he's all good (like, 3 months ago). We feed them solid gold indigo moon during the day and wellness core wet food at night. For the night time feeding we put them in separate rooms since the 6 year old is a greedy rear end in a top hat and eats the other cats' food.

Today he was in the bedroom and wanting to get out, he'd been in there for 40 minutes. The smallest cat takes an hour to eat sometimes and doesn't eat a lot, so we leave the cats in separate rooms for up to an hour regularly with no problems. The six year old suddenly started pissing on our clothes 40 minutes into his dinnertime, while my wife and I were in the room. He's not done that before. After hearing horror stories about cats pissing in beds etc, it could have been worse. it hardly even smelled at all.

Well, apparnently it was a bit longer than normal between cat litterbox cleaning, like 1 day more than normal. Thankfully the carpet was untouched, I wiped down the wall, and we're washing the clothes. What else should we do to deter the cat from doing this again? Is there something I can wipe down the area with? I just asked my wife and the litterboxes are old. We'll add one (we have 2, which has been ok until now, I know it's fewer boxes than recommended). What brand or box type is recommended?

edit: he doesn't hiss or bite or anything and is a friendly loving cat. We give him some cuddles and scritchings every day and cat drugs once a week or so.

edit 2: just bought 3 new litter boxes.

redreader fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 22, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Update on these two:

They're eating and playing again. Still blasting out runny poops though, so gotta keep an eye on them a bit further after some vet advice.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010

spinst posted:

This is Betty, 5ish months old, about to try and eat my face:

Did you steal my cat?

(I woke her up.)

They have remarkably similar patterns, and Tiger gets the same maniacal look when she gets hyper!

On that note, she's taken to using the vertical scratching post, and turns into a little monster at least once a day. Nothing terrible, just needing lots of play time, and mischievously running away when she does something she knows she's not supposed to. She's still very good at letting us sleep, though in the morning she tends to hang out in the clothes closet, because the last two days she smelled suspiciously like clean clothes :)

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
My two cats have also had chocolate pudding poops for the past 6 weeks or so. The vet ran a bunch of tests but found nothing wrong. She put them on prednisolone and metronidazole which seemed to help some, but now that the bottles are empty, they are back to wet poop again. Thankfully, they both seem to be in good spirits and show no signs of not feeling well.

I read online that adding 1/2 tsp of plain Metamucil to their wet food can help with diarrhea and, sure enough, it fixed them right up. The one day I forgot to give it to them though, they went right back to pudding poop, so it hasn't cured whatever is causing the diarrhea - it's just treating the symptoms by adding fiber to their diets.

They've been eating the same food for at least a year (Blue Basics - Sensitive Solution Formula - Grain-free and they split a can of Fancy Feast in the evening) so I don't know what the gently caress. Maybe Blue changed their formula or something? My next move is to try different brands until I (hopefully) find one that works for them, as Aghastly suggested (oh, and disinfecting their bowls and litter boxes again).

I don't know what I hope to accomplish with this post - everyone has already given what advice they have - I guess I just wanted to vent to people who know what it's like. I'll be interested to hear what SynthOrange's vet has to say.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

My kitten (3 1/2 months now) is obsessed with climbing peoples legs. We have tried pretty much everything to deter her, removing her as soon as she does it, ignoring her, distracting her with the cat tree and encouraging her to use it, but she just comes straight back and goes for our legs. I haven't tried the squirt bottle yet because I've heard mixed opinions, but I'm really at my wits end.
In one of her excited moods today she started climbing my legs and when I went to remove her she hissed the most aggressively I've ever heard her, dug her claws in then leaped off me. I'm worried she's getting aggressive towards our hands now since we're always removing her :(

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
Did you try distracting her with toys? My little monster tends to try to get my attention by playing with my clothes too, but she is always successfully distracted by toys :)

Alternatively, does the cat tree have a scratching area? If so, try scratching it on the opposite side of her, she'll try to grab your hand, but in the process will find out it's fun to scratch the post. At least, that's how I managed to get my kitten to use it. It took a few tries, but now she uses it on her own.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Vampess posted:

Did you steal my cat?

(I woke her up.)

They have remarkably similar patterns, and Tiger gets the same maniacal look when she gets hyper!

On that note, she's taken to using the vertical scratching post, and turns into a little monster at least once a day. Nothing terrible, just needing lots of play time, and mischievously running away when she does something she knows she's not supposed to. She's still very good at letting us sleep, though in the morning she tends to hang out in the clothes closet, because the last two days she smelled suspiciously like clean clothes :)

They DO look alike! :3:

Yup, sounds like my kitty... Though she's pretty nice in the morning, just sits by my head, staring down at me… purring… Nice, but creepy.

Twins!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Octolady posted:

My kitten (3 1/2 months now) is obsessed with climbing peoples legs. We have tried pretty much everything to deter her, removing her as soon as she does it, ignoring her, distracting her with the cat tree and encouraging her to use it, but she just comes straight back and goes for our legs. I haven't tried the squirt bottle yet because I've heard mixed opinions, but I'm really at my wits end.
In one of her excited moods today she started climbing my legs and when I went to remove her she hissed the most aggressively I've ever heard her, dug her claws in then leaped off me. I'm worried she's getting aggressive towards our hands now since we're always removing her :(

Have you tried yelping loudly at her as you remove her?

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Yea, tried both those things. Toys work for a little while but as soon as you stop she comes right back no matter how long you play with her for. She also mainly seems to use it as a way to try to get onto things, if I'm doing anything in the kitchen I have to lock her out cause she just repeatedly climbs me and her claws are sharp as hell now. I'm maybe not yelping right cause she never really seems to be affected by it :( I'll keep trying though, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
Play with her until she's really tuckered out, lying down, sleepy kind of tuckered out.

How about the scratching pole? Did you introduce it when she's scratching things (your legs)? While she's hyped up, she doesn't really care what she's scratching. If you don't have a cloth couch, or anything similar, your legs might be the best thing to a vertical scratcher she has.

Edit: As for jumping up, maybe pick her up, and let her smell the food, or give her a sample (depending on whether you're cooking yummy meat foods), also let her know the stove is hot, and dangerous.

Vampess fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 23, 2014