Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teresa Heinz-Kirby
Jan 2, 2007

i was here first i had a reservation

Residency Evil posted:

I was worried that the old xbone thread had been retired but I see that everything's ok.

If i'm thinking of maybe buying a console within the next few months, is there any reason at all to get an xbone or should I still just get a PS4?

just pay the geek squad 400 dollars to pull half your computer parts out.

you'll still have a more believable amount of RAM than the x box one, you'll have more indies than the PS4, and you'll have more "less virtualboyCOLOR and Widestancer" than the WiiU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

incorporeal posted:

Doesn't bayonetta 2 come out soon? So, do what this man says.
It comes out on Friday, yeah. Mario Kart's been out for months, too, so

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

fisheyel83l posted:

you'll still have a more believable amount of RAM than the x box one, you'll have more indies than the PS4, and you'll have more "less virtualboyCOLOR and Widestancer" than the WiiU

Lol

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

fisheyel83l posted:

You will have exactly 0 Mario Kart 8s and 0 SSBs if you do that.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
If you like video games, you should get a Wii U.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

elf help book posted:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

elf help book posted:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
i like videogames and i own a wii u life is a gift to be cherished

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What if I like race car games and batman because I am a manchild?

Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW

Residency Evil posted:

Mario Kart and Batman are on the Wii U

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Wootman posted:

Mario Kart and Batman are on the Wii U

praise iwata-san

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Residency Evil posted:

Buy an Xbox one, we'll befriend one another and play halo co-op into the small hours (after we download the 20gb patch). Also the best racing game not aimed at 8 yr olds is forza horizon 2

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I got a Wii U and bought the wrong Mario game, I wanted the 3D one and got the 2D one, so I went out today and got the 3D one.

The upside is that I now have both and they are both good.

I wish I knew as much about the Wii U as I do about the The One

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Crafty posted:

Buy an Xbox one, we'll befriend one another and play halo co-op into the small hours (after we download the 20gb patch). Also the best racing game not aimed at 8 yr olds is forza horizon 2

Dude Forza 2 tanked, sorry :(

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Residency Evil posted:

If i'm thinking of maybe buying a console within the next few months, is there any reason at all to get an xbone or should I still just get a PS4?

I'm happy with my xbone, but I would probably be just as happy with a PS4. But if you want to play current gen games and don't really care about minute differences some nerds harp on, the bone is a completely fine choice.

Seriously though, don't get a wii u.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Bohemian Nights posted:

mods?!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

Dude Forza 2 tanked, sorry :(

Of course it did! It's a racing game that apparently doesn't appeal to 8 year-olds. :psyduck:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
mods? Mods?? MOOOOODS?!?!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If you own a decent budget gaming PC then the overlap in games between the The One is too big in my opinion.

PC gamers get all the bargain bin turds like Titanfall (then we instantly forget them, fair enough) and all the exclusives for the The One are either tanking sales wise (Forza) or re hashes of old games that offer nothing interesting at all (Halo) or are better on PS4 (Destiny lol).

So that is why I'd go for a PC and a Wii U because between them you have a lot more ground covered.

If you need a TV set top box that doesn't work, has no RAM, no games, no players, no international presence and you desperately need to shout falsetto commands at a piece of electronics hardware while it spies on you then get a the The One as it loving excels at all that poo poo and more.

It also excels at being worse than the PS4 at everything so bear that in mind as well when buying one, they are great machines, the have lots of fans (3).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the best racing game this year is wreckfest and it isn't even done yet

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

univbee posted:

Of course it did! It's a racing game that apparently doesn't appeal to 8 year-olds. :psyduck:

That's the issue, it appeals to 8 year olds but no fucker else, that's why no one bought it :lol:

Cubey posted:

the best racing game this year is wreckfest and it isn't even done yet

Potentially very true, I'd love to see the 'next gen' consoles CPUs deal with those physics :laugh:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

elf help book posted:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

peter gabriel posted:

If you own a decent budget gaming PC then the overlap in games between the The One is too big in my opinion.

PC gamers get all the bargain bin turds like Titanfall (then we instantly forget them, fair enough) and all the exclusives for the The One are either tanking sales wise (Forza) or re hashes of old games that offer nothing interesting at all (Halo) or are better on PS4 (Destiny lol).

So that is why I'd go for a PC and a Wii U because between them you have a lot more ground covered.

If you need a TV set top box that doesn't work, has no RAM, no games, no players, no international presence and you desperately need to shout falsetto commands at a piece of electronics hardware while it spies on you then get a the The One as it loving excels at all that poo poo and more.

It also excels at being worse than the PS4 at everything so bear that in mind as well when buying one, they are great machines, the have lots of fans (3).

You could have just emptyquited any of the pists saying to buy an a Wii U

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

qnqnx posted:

You could have just emptyquited any of the pists saying to buy an a Wii U

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
It's probably time to either move this thread to the imp zone, or move it back behind the shed to get shot and buried

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bohemian Nights posted:

I'm happy with my xbone, but I would probably be just as happy with a PS4. But if you want to play current gen games and don't really care about minute differences some nerds harp on, the bone is a completely fine choice.

Sorry about your eyesight :(

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
If you like video games, you should get a video game console such as the Xbox One, the All In One Entertainment System from Xbox. Probably after you buy a PS4, unless you prefer the Xbox One exclusives in which case get the Xbox One first, it's really a pretty easy choice.

Also buy a Wii U for its exclusives after you buy one of the real next current gen consoles so you can actually play new games like Far Cry 4.

This is Soul Glo with Buying Advice Minute, signing off~

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

It's probably time to either move this thread to the imp zone, or move it back behind the shed to get shot and buried

Face off your life's errors like a man, shortsighted, no-fun-haver kid

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

If you want to have fun, buy a Wii U.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Bohemian Nights posted:

:staredog:

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

welcome to the shark tank

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

For the record, complete list of current Xbone exclusives:

True Exclusives:

Dead Rising 3, but only the parody Capcom DLC (everything else is on Steam)
    Forza Motorsport 5 and its $2000 in DLC or whatever it is now, it's like Train Simulator minus the Steam sales
    Forza Horizon 2, although there's a less good take on it on 360
    Crimson Dragon
    Killer Instinct
    Powerstar Golf (although it's not the only video game version of golf)
    D4, poor Swery :(
    If you don't have a 360, also Zoo Tycoon
    Sunset Overdrive
    Call of Spacey 30-day DLC exclusivity. Irrelevent if you don't have really poor impulse control.
    Halo 2: Anniversary via the Master Chief Collection (the rest of the games are playable in some form using a 360, as is the original Xbox One version of Halo 2's campaign mode)

Read the above list very carefully and ask yourself if these exclusives are worth $399 + game cost. Because that's it for the immediate future.

If you have a Kinect, you also have these exclusives:

Fighter Within and its 23 Metacritic average
    Kinect Sports Rivals and its "not as good as Wii Sports sponsored by State Farm"-ness
    Just Dance 2014, but only if you have more than 3 friends and a mansion in which up to 6 of them can dance, otherwise it's on basically every other console in some form with a 4-player cap
    Dance Central: Spotlight
    Paid subscription service to get workout videos you can find on DVD at most Goodwills

Everything else is also on PS4 and/or PC with higher-quality visuals

univbee fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 19, 2014

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

koolkal posted:

welcome to the shark tank

Is this like the shark tank at a run down aquarium with old sharks that eat spam thrown in and should probably be put down?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Widestancer posted:

Is this like the shark tank at a run down aquarium with old sharks that eat spam thrown in and should probably be put down?

yes

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
If you like games you should get the Xbox One All In One system that was designed to be a TV box first and game console second.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

eric posted:

If you like games you should get the Xbox One All In One system that was designed to be a TV box first* and game console second.

* - Xbox One, All In One Entertainment system (TV and TV box sold separately)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

univbee posted:

For the record, complete list of current Xbone exclusives:

True Exclusives:

Dead Rising 3, but only the parody Capcom DLC (everything else is on Steam)
    Forza Motorsport 5 and its $2000 in DLC or whatever it is now, it's like Train Simulator minus the Steam sales
    Forza Horizon 2, although there's a less good take on it on 360
    Crimson Dragon
    Killer Instinct
    Powerstar Golf (although it's not the only video game version of golf)
    D4, poor Swery :(
    If you don't have a 360, also Zoo Tycoon
    Sunset Overdrive
    Call of Spacey 30-day DLC exclusivity. Irrelevent if you don't have really poor impulse control.
    Halo 2: Anniversary via the Master Chief Collection (the rest of the games are playable in some form using a 360, as is the original Xbox One version of Halo 2's campaign mode)

Read the above list very carefully and ask yourself if these exclusives are worth $399 + game cost. Because that's it for the immediate future.

If you have a Kinect, you also have these exclusives:

Fighter Within and its 23 Metacritic average
    Kinect Sports Rivals and its "not as good as Wii Sports sponsored by State Farm"-ness
    Just Dance 2014, but only if you have more than 3 friends and a mansion in which up to 6 of them can dance, otherwise it's on basically every other console in some form with a 4-player cap
    Dance Central: Spotlight
    Paid subscription service to get workout videos you can find on DVD at most Goodwills

Everything else is also on PS4 and/or PC with higher-quality visuals

Do you save lists like this to pull up as you need them?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

elf help book posted:

No, I just pulled that from listwar.com

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

elf help book posted:

If he did he's been missing Halo 5 for a while :colbert:

If someone for real asked me which one to buy, I'd tell them to base their decision on whichever one their friends have, then on whether they want Halo/Gears or Uncharted/TLOU 2 (still bummed they're sticking with Ellie, I want new characters in that universe :argh:) and finally on if they're the type to get butthurt over five FPS or 100~ p's at which point a normal person would probably stare at me like I was autistic.

Both consoles are going to play 95% the same games for the rest of the generation with an ever-diminishing quality gap as devs get used to the Xbone's dumbass ESRAM which you can already see going back a year to the resolutions of games then versus now: there were 720p launch games on the 'Bone, and now they're regularly 900 and soon it'll be 1080 on both, probably. The vast, vast majority of people pay precisely zero attention to the tech stuff like we do anyway, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

However things like the Xbone not being able to do poo poo as simple as delta patching will never go away and forever be a hindrance to every game that ever receives a patch. Waiting for an hour or more to download a day one patch is a pretty big quality of life difference between the PS4 and Xbone.

• Locked thread