Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The MSJ posted:

Peter Pan was a villain in Once Upon A Time, right? I know they made Hook into an ally of the protagonists and also a really hot guy.

Yes. Hook is also awesome in OUAT and now hangs with the Frozen characters because that show is loving insane in all the best of ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhvLNs-5QxE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That is some amazing creative capitalism in action. They must have had their ratings go sky-loving-high for that episode.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

umalt posted:

I would more frame it as, 'he know's what he's doing, but he doesn't know what he should be doing.'

I mean, he probably thinks that he's making great films (no capital 'g') but he could take notes on how to make certain scenes more impressive and important if he didn't try to make all of his scenes impressive.

If you want to see Michael Bay actually directing, watch Pain & Gain. It is a legitimately amazing movie and doesn't feel like something you expect Bay to have directed.

Fun fact: Michael Bay also directed the iconic Aaron Burr "Got Milk?" commercial.

Bay is a lovely, sexist human being who treated Megan Fox like a piece of trash but the man can actually direct when he gets a project he's excited about. Dude didn't even want to do Transformers until Steven Spielberg, of all people, convinced him to.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

mind the walrus posted:

That is some amazing creative capitalism in action. They must have had their ratings go sky-loving-high for that episode.

That episode? She's a major recurring character. The show is retarded as hell and I don't understand why people, my wife included, watch it.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Literally Kermit posted:

So his name is Thud Pan now, right? You get to be the leader, you get to be the Pan.

Thud Pan is fun to say.

So wait, you mean David Lo Pan is... :stare:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Who What Now posted:

That episode? She's a major recurring character. The show is retarded as hell and I don't understand why people, my wife included, watch it.

Because the concept of "all the fairy tale characters interact in the same universe" has been a slam-dunk can't-fail proposition for literally centuries and for some reason it's only been since the Marvel movies that TV executives have realized it.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I wish they had decided to make a Fables TV show, since Fables is really good, instead of whatever Once Upon a Time really is. I'm pretty sure I'll end up watching it some day, when I have run out of other sci fi and fantasy television shows, but I swear to god I'm not going to enjoy it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's on ABC. The changes they've made are already wild for Disney.

A Fables TV show has failed to happen twice now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Iggy Koopa posted:

I wish they had decided to make a Fables TV show, since Fables is really good, instead of whatever Once Upon a Time really is. I'm pretty sure I'll end up watching it some day, when I have run out of other sci fi and fantasy television shows, but I swear to god I'm not going to enjoy it.

You will. The writers embrace the insanity behind the premise with such joy its entertaining just to see how they explain poo poo. The other half is spent with actors chewing scenery and if you're a lady you're set as every male actor is a hot dude.

Also Star Wars has been directly referenced in the show as part of the canon. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if they actually add leia and the rest of the Star Wars characters by the time the movies are coming out.

Really, Star Wars and Tron need to make it into the show.

Happy Noodle Boy has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Oct 19, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Iggy Koopa posted:

I liked Fables until I realized it was literally just the X-Men with a fairy tale skin over its bones. Much as I hate to say it Once Upon a Time seems to deliver on the concept in a way audiences want, and it's flexible enough to allow for inclusion of such marketing grand slams as the Frozen characters at the height of their popularity.

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also Star Wars has been directly referenced in the show as part of the canon. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if they actually add leia and the rest of the Star Wars characters by the time the movies are coming out.

Wait, when did this happen?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lurken posted:

the characters were talking about something that happened "a long time ago"

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
The only way that could be better is if they said that, looked up to the starry skies, and then this background music plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZUDWKs4HZ0

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I fully expect Disney to make this show into some kind of madcap League of Extraordinary Gentlemen mishmash. Anything and everything that could go in, goes in.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Judge Clayjar posted:

the characters were talking about something that happened "a long time ago"

My Great Great grandparents fought in part of a revolution/rebellion a long long time ago. So clearly I am talking about Star Wars, and not just something that happened 'a long time ago.' From what I can tell all they had was a ring tone in the show. The spin off Wonderland directly referenced a Sarlac.

edit: maybe this was sarcasm

Leper Residue has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Oct 19, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lurken posted:

In the spinoff Once Upon a Time in Wonderland they're talking or reading about horrible ways to die / be tortured and they mention one of the many worlds having someone slowly digested by a Sarlacc Pit as one of them.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

In the spinoff Once Upon a Time in Wonderland they're talking or reading about horrible ways to die / be tortured and they mention one of the many worlds having someone slowly digested by a Sarlacc Pit as one of them.

It's Jafar (the villain from Aladdin) and The Queen of Hearts discussing ways to make Alice use up her wishes (given to her by her genie boyfriend). You can see the clip here: http://io9.com/once-upon-a-time-in-wonderland-just-dropped-a-big-old-s-1452292100

I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel characters starts showing up.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The 10 seconds of that clip is the only time I've ever watched that show... and I think it'll stay that way forever.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Once Upon a Time is what happens when some producer looks over Fanfiction.net and sees a tab called Fiction Crossover.

gently caress the show writes itself after a point. My mom used to watch it but stopped after Neverland and the poo poo with loving Oz. It really would be a shocker if they DIDN'T put Star Wars or Spiderman in at some point now.

Here's subtle for Once Upon a Time: main character's ex and father of her child pops back into the show, and though he is engaged and he and the main character haven't seen each other in over ten years, there is no way they are not getting together. Amazingly enough his new soon-to-be wife is revealed to be totally evil and a bitch and who the gently caress saw that coming?

Things I remember from Once Upon a Time instead of actual useful memories of trig: Peter Pan is Rumplestilken's dad, Snow White's father almost married the Evil Witch's mother, Snow White kills the Evil Witch/Stepmother's mother, the reason Jafar is such an rear end in a top hat is that he's the bastard of a sultan who beat and abandoned him so the entire storyline for him is to have his captive father admit he loves him, and there is no real limit to any kind of magic (even the kind everyone says can't work ever, but it always does at the last minute, of course), and for some goddamn reason Dr. Frankenstein is in the show.

Not sure how subtle this is, but watching Megamind with the kids, and the first time we see the reporter's assistant, he's goofy and bumbling which would be endearing, but his comments about 'always watching you' takes it over the line and shows that MRA/creepy non-hero side. Megamind's a villain but even he never acts weird to the lady reporter in that stalker-y way.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Michael Bay discussion reminded me of another thing from Age of Extinction. The Bugatti Veyron robot Drift has a face similar to a mengu faceplate on a samurai's helmet. On real samurais, this is supposed to resemble monsters or other terrifying things. Darth Vader's faceplate was based on the same thing. Drift's face resembles a human face, in a movie where humans are hunting down and killing Transformers to melt their bodies down for raw material.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yes. Hook is also awesome in OUAT and now hangs with the Frozen characters because that show is loving insane in all the best of ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhvLNs-5QxE
I just want to point out that the guy trying to get Hook out of the ice is Prince Charming and telekinetic Emma is his daughter with Snow White. Because of magic and stuff, Hook is played by Colin O'Donoghue who is almost a year older than Josh Dallas who plays Prince Charming. Jennifer Morrison who plays Emma is older than both.

The MSJ has a new favorite as of 11:43 on Oct 20, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You will. The writers embrace the insanity behind the premise with such joy its entertaining just to see how they explain poo poo. The other half is spent with actors chewing scenery and if you're a lady you're set as every male actor is a hot dude.

Given both this and Kingdom Hearts, I think it's safe to say that if there's one good thing Disney can do well, it's crossovers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Given both this and Kingdom Hearts, I think it's safe to say that if there's one good thing Disney can do well, it's crossovers.

The producers of Once Upon a Time have said that they actually had to fight Disney corporate pretty hard to be able to use the Frozen characters.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The MSJ posted:

...in a movie where humans are hunting down and killing Transformers to melt their bodies down for raw material.

Wait, what? Is that what's going on in that movie? Hell, I might have to watch that now; sounds badass.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, there was some bizarre plot point where there was a special property of Transformer metal that allowed it to change and humans wanted to make their own Transformers with it.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Transformers 2 contains the ultimate statement on Michael Bay-style action movies. A scene early on has a US military officer tell the transformers that if they don't do whatever he wants him to do, they will have to leave the Earth forever.

Or, you know, just go to Canada, or China, or Nigeria, or any of the other 192 countries in the world that would be totally on board with having giant robots with rocket launchers for hands be their friend. It's the gag from Team America: World Police where every country has "XXX Miles from America" only played totally straight.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

The producers of Once Upon a Time have said that they actually had to fight Disney corporate pretty hard to be able to use the Frozen characters.

Wow Disney corporate must hate easy-as-gently caress money.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Wow Disney corporate must hate easy-as-gently caress money.

I read it was the opposite, actually. Disney has barely even begun mining the Frozen well, and they didn't want to start toying with the characters and stuff because they thought it would impact merchandise and future movies.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Michael Bay is a brilliant satirist who has figured out that the best way to make money from satire is to market it almost exclusively to people who won't get it.

See also: Paul Verhoeven.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

You know what, Age of Extinction was pretty dope.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

Michael Bay is a brilliant satirist who has figured out that the best way to make money from satire is to market it almost exclusively to people who won't get it.

See also: Paul Verhoeven.

I'm sure Starship Troopers was bought up early on in the thread- I can't remember offhand- but man I love that movie. The only responses I hear when I say it's one of my favourite movies ever are "Oh but it was so cheesy!" or "The book was better". gently caress everyone.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

NtotheTC posted:

I'm sure Starship Troopers was bought up early on in the thread- I can't remember offhand- but man I love that movie. The only responses I hear when I say it's one of my favourite movies ever are "Oh but it was so cheesy!" or "The book was better". gently caress everyone.
Verhoeven is seriously underrated but I think the greatest satirical action movie is Running Man. Stephen King is a fool for having his name removed from that.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

NtotheTC posted:

I've only really ever heard good things said about Starship Troopers, really. I love it, I even love the third one (what second movie can't hear you lalalalala...)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Starship Troopers is probably the 3rd greatest sci-fi movie of all time behind Prometheus and Event Horizon.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

LoonShia posted:

You know what, Age of Extinction was pretty dope.

Yeah. If you want deep meditations on the meaning of life then watch Kurosawa. If you want to watch poo poo exploding at dawn, watch Bay. I don't find it inconsistent that I have both in my DVD collection. It's like food. Just because I eat regular home cooked meals doesn't mean I can't enjoy a pizza now and again; it would only be bad if I lived on pizza rather than eating anything decent.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

NtotheTC posted:

It's pretty fun watching it now. The only young cast member who totally gets it is Neil Patrick Harris who plays his role with the right side of high arch to it. It's an amazing gambit on Verhoven's part to stock it with a cast who he knew would play it completely straight.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Wasn't the book actually 100% straight-faced zero-irony pro-fascism?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Wasn't the book actually 100% straight-faced zero-irony pro-fascism?

Yes, and loving POWER ARMOR. I don't care how much of a political commentary Verhoven's interpretation was, it failed the one point of bringing Starship Troopers to the screen.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DandyLion posted:

Yes, and loving POWER ARMOR. I don't care how much of a political commentary Verhoven's interpretation was, it failed the one point of bringing Starship Troopers to the screen.

The sequels had power armor and sucked.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

DandyLion posted:

You can always tell how stupid a Starship Troopers fan is by how often they mention Power Armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Aphrodite posted:

The sequels had power armor and sucked.

The show had power armour and it rocked.