Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I need to vassalize and banish that pope. I need that papal gold.

Banishing doesn't net you gold in most cases with the Charlemagne patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

Everything is terrible.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Tehan posted:

But you do? They get converted into barracks/mustering/training grounds/whatever.
Ahhh, my bad, looked better at it and yea, there's that mustering ground. I never got anything else for most of them because the prestige prices are way too loving high. I suppose that the intent is that I parcel them out to a bunch of fuckers so they all improve them themselves but aside from the marriage boost to prestige I don't see any way for them to get the huge amounts, especially if they can't raid.

Are Zun not supposed to be able to raid? Seems pretty idiotic for them to be the sole Pagans who can't. And for the Republic poo poo to block off their religion thing, leaving you without even that empty event.

Phlegmish posted:

I wish the game would give you the option to go to the character portrait of the person that is being targeted by a plot. I don't know all of my courtiers' names by heart, I usually just click End Plot to be on the safe side because I have no idea who they're trying to assassinate. I also wish the game would give you more information when it says someone acted dishonorably towards you and you can imprison them. What exactly did they do?

Am I missing something, is there an easy way to find these things out?
Yea, it should be there in the intrigue panel under 'known plots'. I know I've gotten rid of some unwanted sons that way just by letting them slide thru.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

monster on a stick posted:

No, please be trolling :negative:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Phlegmish posted:

I wish the game would give you the option to go to the character portrait of the person that is being targeted by a plot. I don't know all of my courtiers' names by heart, I usually just click End Plot to be on the safe side because I have no idea who they're trying to assassinate. I also wish the game would give you more information when it says someone acted dishonorably towards you and you can imprison them. What exactly did they do?

Am I missing something, is there an easy way to find these things out?

Can't you get it from the intrigue screen?

Also, I'm having a huge issue getting money. Playing on Tutorial Ireland again after taking a couple years away from this game and all the castle improvements seem to cost a hell of a lot more than (I think) they used to, from 120->395 or something of the sort. I'm making ~4 a month at the moment which means it's going to take absolutely forever to save up for them even if I never create a fabricated claim or anything else. Is that just how it is now? There's so many changes.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Tiler Kiwi posted:

europe is unlovable

My attempts to spread Zoroastrianism never go that well :saddowns:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

lenoon posted:

Aquitaine was only made into France in the 12th century and then, after Eleanor's marriage to Henry the second of England, it became a separate country again - part of England. It was taken by France at the en of the Hundred Years' War.
Actually the Angevin monarchs had to make a formal homage (basically swearing fealty without any kind of military duty)to each new king of France for all their 'french' holdings including Normandy AND Aquitaine. And when some of their 'french' vassals were in conflict with them, most of them preferred to have the affair judged in Paris by the french king parliament and not in London. It was a source of endless bickering, especially when the french kings started dropping like flies after Philippe Le Bel. Aquitaine was literally "de jure" France.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 19, 2014

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Abbasids...48k troops in 833.

This is going to be fun.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Toplowtech posted:

Actually the Angevin monarchs had to make a formal homage (basically swearing fealty without any kind of military duty)to each new king of France for all their 'french' holdings including Normandy AND Aquitaine. And when some of their 'french' vassals were in conflict with them, most of them preferred to have the affair judged in Paris by the french king parliament and not in London. It was a source of endless bickering, especially when the french kings started dropping like flies after Philippe Le Bel. Aquitaine was literally "de jure" France.

It seems worth noting that this situation was Paradox's frequently cited inspiration for the entire de jure-vs-de facto system.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Excelzior posted:

Abbasids...48k troops in 833.

This is going to be fun.

This is pretty much the state of my Abyssinia game right now. My only hope is that the Rise of the Shia event can still fire with the Shia Caliph being a vassal of the Abbasid Blob. It used to be that the event would only fire if there was no Shia Caliph.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Arnold of Soissons posted:

My attempts to spread Zoroastrianism never go that well :saddowns:

Early game is a bit counter intuitive - you need to be super aggressive at the start. You have a strict timer - there's a lopsided war to your south, where one side has ~8000 event troops. The moment it ends, the now large kingdom will bear down on you and, at best, force you to convert. If you run down and attack them while they're fighting other muslims, you'll cut down that number enough that the war will drag on. Everyone will then be too busy in wars at the start to intervene in any of your aggressive holy wars, so go hog wild. After their wars end, you become the vassal of one of them around equal size to you, and push through elective succession / your own kingship. I managed to get both with the dudes to my south no civil war with around 110% strength relative to the liege, after having taken a bite out of every muslim neighbor.

Its kind of gamey, and there's a lot of room for it to go wrong. I wouldn't manage on Ironman mode without a lot of luck. Took me around, oh, ten restarts.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 19, 2014

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
Is there a hotfix out there that allows you to renounce iconoclasm without magically reverting from Imperial to Feudal when you do so (or will I have to wait for an official patch)? I want to go wild holy warring all my neighbors and take on the Abbasaids, but I also don't want this heresy to continue to actively spread in the meantime.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

No, please be trolling :negative:

It's in the patch notes, as fixing an "exploit." There have been a few complaints over at the Pdox forums, the main discussion thread is here - short version, it looks like it annoyed one of the devs so they just changed it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Just console yourself money. It has the same effect, just quicker.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Its not Papal Gold. Its console gold. I don't want it.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

My really good tip for making money as a tribe is to set your chaplain on permanent religious relations improvement on any vassal bishops that are paying tax to the pope instead of you. It makes a huge difference when you are getting nothing from your crummy tribal holdings.

You can get quite a bit of gold as a tribe by moving your capital to the county with the most empty holdings and maxing out the town market. But this is good advice too.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
So I finally got the devilspawn event. Unfortunately I'm a republic, so the daughter of satan managed to accomplish absolutely nothing before I married her off to the king of France or something.

It was kind of disappointing, really.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Going from tribal to republic is rough man. You probably have no money to build posts (Jew gold being used to buy market towns) and your levies go to poo poo until the patricians get their poo poo together.

Oh and apparently all of the other Irish tribes can develop a solid alliance web within a generation that will gently caress you up.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
To be honest, it just feels like this patch had some really interesting ideas (vassal limits, expanded plotting system etc), but never really followed up on them; while just limiting things in game. I can understand them fixing certain exploits but I can't help shake the feeling they've made the game lot less fun overall.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Is the banishment thing just to get rid of North Korea mode?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
I think it's also to block the Cluny gold exploit (event gives a bunch of gold to the holder of the Baron of Cluny, so over time he collects 10k+ or something, which made imprison + banishing him worthwhile at all points)

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Nah. You can still banish like the Duke of Aquitine if you really really wanted him gone. I think it's more a 'Banishment shouldn't be a major gold sorce' type thing?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Mortabis posted:

Is the banishment thing just to get rid of North Korea mode?

Yes. In fact, is is the ONLY thing they needed to do in order to remove NK mode. I called it back when they nerfed levies "to fix nk mode" and somebody proceeded to WC in 25 years anyway.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

Funky Valentine posted:

Going from tribal to republic is rough man. You probably have no money to build posts (Jew gold being used to buy market towns) and your levies go to poo poo until the patricians get their poo poo together.

Oh and apparently all of the other Irish tribes can develop a solid alliance web within a generation that will gently caress you up.

Half the island is the same dynasty so unless you start as one of them it can be a bit of an uphill climb.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Excelzior posted:

Yes. In fact, is is the ONLY thing they needed to do in order to remove NK mode. I called it back when they nerfed levies "to fix nk mode" and somebody proceeded to WC in 25 years anyway.

And now that they've gotten rid of the banishment-for-gold trick, and nerfed retinues, they've decided to de-nerf levies... oh.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh gods, are you guys also seeing the Byzantine Empire crumpling more often? 2 games in a row now, Bulgaria invades, stomps, triggering crusades before 800. Which btw is incredibly annoying when every shitfaced count of Ireland can now hire the holy orders to gently caress over my armies. Annoying.

Is there some way to enable raiding for Zun in the defines or is there a mod for it? Seems a dumb oversight to be honest or is it something new with forbidding it to Merchant Republics? (Which makes sense if they hate fun, as that made Norse Merchant Republics such an incredibly game breaking magical beast)

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
Is the -30 opinion "wrong government type" malus only for feudal lieges? My irish republic has a few tribe->feudal vassal counts but they don't have the malus. Wondering if its a bug or not.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

This is the demon child that I disowned when I was Charlemagne and I decided to check up on him.

That intrigue :stare:. It's a shame that stats don't affect council actions past 20.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

My lesbian queen of wales just started an affair with her half brothers wife, nest, the maid of Gloucester. My preist just discovered catharism and I'm eating up Mercia. It's 793. I think I'm going to like this run.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Tribal merchant republics are the worst thing you can play in this game, it's a shame there is no way to form republics without having to pray that the AI doesn't decide to delete you from existence for no reason.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Oh gods, are you guys also seeing the Byzantine Empire crumpling more often? 2 games in a row now, Bulgaria invades, stomps, triggering crusades before 800. Which btw is incredibly annoying when every shitfaced count of Ireland can now hire the holy orders to gently caress over my armies. Annoying.

Is there some way to enable raiding for Zun in the defines or is there a mod for it? Seems a dumb oversight to be honest or is it something new with forbidding it to Merchant Republics? (Which makes sense if they hate fun, as that made Norse Merchant Republics such an incredibly game breaking magical beast)

I've had it split into independent realms but not collapse into nothingness.

And apparently it simulates Hungarian migrations by letting you form Hungary once you own two Pannonian duchies at the cost of any province east of the Carpathians. But Magyar is a king title already so there's no incentive to do that. Maybe if it made all your holdings feudal it would be.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Grizzwold posted:

So I finally got the devilspawn event. Unfortunately I'm a republic, so the daughter of satan managed to accomplish absolutely nothing before I married her off to the king of France or something.

It was kind of disappointing, really.

The one time I ever got it was similar. I was playing a Muslim so she got sent away for tutoring almost immediately after, taking her nanny with her. When she came back the possessed trait was the only sign that anything was wrong and I have no idea what happened to the nanny. I convinced her to convert to Zoroastrianism (which I had done while she was away) and she just kinda sat around my court doing nothing, with a mutual 100 relations with me.

I imagine it a lot like one of those sickly sweet Full House-style sitcoms except they're all Persian and one of them is the Antichrist.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Swedish Horror posted:

This is the demon child that I disowned when I was Charlemagne and I decided to check up on him.

That intrigue :stare:. It's a shame that stats don't affect council actions past 20.

A couple of them do as I found out when I cheated my steward to have 99 stewardship and was able to rush build holding upgrades in a day :D

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

How does the demesne limit work now? I was a count but I managed to form the Duchy of Mide and I'm now Duke of Mide (well, Petty King, whatever) and I still have a demesne limit of 2. I would have thought that would be 3 now that I'm a Duke but no? I swear it used to be higher than it is now. My Stewardship is 8 with state stewardship of 19. Wife's is a piddly 1. Is that the entire reason I only have a limit of 2? I still swear it was higher than that back in the day, but I'm easily misremembering.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yes, but not to Bulgaria. My current game had Greece somehow becoming independent while the Abbassids just steamroll the rest of the empire.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

shortspecialbus posted:

How does the demesne limit work now? I was a count but I managed to form the Duchy of Mide and I'm now Duke of Mide (well, Petty King, whatever) and I still have a demesne limit of 2. I would have thought that would be 3 now that I'm a Duke but no? I swear it used to be higher than it is now. My Stewardship is 8 with state stewardship of 19. Wife's is a piddly 1. Is that the entire reason I only have a limit of 2? I still swear it was higher than that back in the day, but I'm easily misremembering.

There's a new set of laws - Centralization. They increase your demesne and vassal limits.

They also make your vassals somewhat irritated, but all the laws do that.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

There's a new set of laws - Centralization. They increase your demesne and vassal limits.

They also make your vassals somewhat irritated, but all the laws do that.

Oh look at that. It was on Minimum. Got it on Low easily even with a brand-new ruler. Thanks!

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Well, I had just gotten 3 Holy Sites of the Slavic faith as Pomerania, and only needed some extra Moral Authority to reform it. And of course, in the wars that would have raised the MA above 50, my ruler dies and Elective Gavelkind creates and gives away the Kingdom of Wallachia, taking away two of my holy sites. What Hell is this, that Paradox has created?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

How hard would it be to mod the game to allow Irish and Scottish tribals to raid their own religion and give some sort of conquest CB to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Red Minjo posted:

Well, I had just gotten 3 Holy Sites of the Slavic faith as Pomerania, and only needed some extra Moral Authority to reform it. And of course, in the wars that would have raised the MA above 50, my ruler dies and Elective Gavelkind creates and gives away the Kingdom of Wallachia, taking away two of my holy sites. What Hell is this, that Paradox has created?

Even if you haven't created kingdoms, it'll create them and give them to your kids. Best go create an empire within two or three generations.

• Locked thread