Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Read posted:

Even in high SM people I don't find players outside of the arena have strong elemental defense setups, which is what would bias you towards physical. Perhaps it's a platform thing? PC has a lot of the PVPers.

In ng+ I find enough players have enough elemental defense to make using elemental weapons not particularly worth it. Even just a single guy can be kind of annoying, which is why I like to stick to pure physical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I stick mostly to low level PVP but even there I prefer all physical unless the weapon forces my hand (has an innate nonphysical damage portion) because A) then I don't have to buff my weapon before every fight like some pregaming teen going to his second nightclub and B) I can swap weapons mid fight which is really great sometimes.

Also I can swap to PVE without feeling weird about no longer buffing all the time.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I strongly prefer pure physical as well, my main PvP build (and also my only NG+ one) is a quality build. The fact that my only NG+ build is physical might mean that I'm just not noticing strong elemental defense setups when they come by, because I've done close to 1000 invasions on that character so it's definitely not for lack of sample size.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Cainer posted:

No multiplayer of any kind though sadly, took it from a "Oh man I need to buy it fast" to a "eh I'll wait till its on steam sale for pennies."

I actually like that there's no multiplayser, sometimes it's better to just focus on one thing. If the reviews are favorable, I'll probably buy it shortly after release just to support the guys to keep making good games I like.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Having any kind of multiplayer is an enormous time investment, and the same company that's really good at designing a singleplayer game maybe isn't necessarily so good at doing multiplayer. The game looks reasonably ambitious so I'd rather them focus really well on one thing and do it right.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
The game does look nice but nowadays I can barely ever bring myself to buy games at full price and a game I can't play with friends just isn't something I'm going to throw money down on till its nice and cheap. Maybe that will change when the game has been out a while and there's a positive reception but right now its a no go.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

I actually like that there's no multiplayser, sometimes it's better to just focus on one thing. If the reviews are favorable, I'll probably buy it shortly after release just to support the guys to keep making good games I like.

Yeah I don't really care whether there's multiplayer, PvP in the Souls games is awful in my opinion. I'll miss the message system if that isn't in the game (haven't watched the video yet since it's over four hours long) but it's not a deal breaker.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I made a Dragon Covenant video. I tried to add a mix of builds, good duels, and a little 'bad manners'. There's no wub wub music and it's plainly edited.

See if you can spot the bros that panic when they can't chug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdQrAQm_yls

Stokes fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 19, 2014

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Stokes posted:

I made a Dragon Covenant video. I tried to add a mix of builds, good duels, and a little 'bad manners'. There's no wub wub music and it's plainly edited.

See if you can spot the bros that panick when they can't chug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdQrAQm_yls

For next time, I think you can omit the scenes of you shotting the guys who don't know how to drop their shields.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Dork Souls 2

Still waiting for the Ears and Dwarf character creation DLC.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
What is a quality build anyway

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mr Dog posted:

It's a term dating back to Demons Souls that basically means a balance of STR and DEX.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Dog posted:

40 str 40 dex not much magic. A claymore (or whatever) upgraded with Clearstone in Demon's Souls became a "Quality Claymore" and scaled at like C/C as opposed to the "Crushing Claymore" you'd get with Greystone that scaled with A from strength and like E from dex. These builds were usually pretty bad in Demon's as any scaling other than A or S was basically negligible. You could get just as much or more damage by going to 40 or 50 in you damage stat and then have a bunch of extra points to shove into your life bar.

In Da2 they're viable, however it's usually best to get the minimum stats for your weapons first then round out your endurance and HP and agility (probably in that order) before trying to improve your damage from scaling as even A Strength scaling often only gives you one or two more measly points of damage per stat point invested.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mr Dog posted:

Back in Demon's Souls, there was an upgrade path called "Quality" that evened out a weapon's STR and DEX scaling so it'd scale equally with both. Ever since then, builds with both STR and DEX came to be known as "quality" builds, even though the upgrade path itself isn't around anymore.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Gortarius posted:

Dork Souls 2

Still waiting for the Ears and Dwarf character creation DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGocMPc7l5M&t=375s

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

In case anyone didn't know/forgot that the upgrade system in Demon's Souls was bad: the upgrade system in Demon's Souls was bad.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

One with a good balance of offense and defense that gives the player options to deal with many disparate scenarios. :mmmhmm:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Read posted:

One with a good balance of offense and defense that gives the player options to deal with many disparate scenarios. :mmmhmm:

Muh katana

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Manatee Cannon posted:

In case anyone didn't know/forgot that the upgrade system in Demon's Souls was bad: the upgrade system in Demon's Souls was bad.

I really do like the infusion system in DS2 over anything from Demon's Souls or DS1. It's really nice that you can experiment with weapons and elements much more easily now and it's a huge improvement to be able to just hand over boss souls for their weapons rather than having to upgrade random stuff to +X for them.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does this game have the balder side sword y/n

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Not really

There's a couple of decent straight swords with thrusting moves as the R2 (Sunlight Straight Sword, Fume Sword, for ex) but their reach and damage is pretty eh compared to the BSS

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Tollymain posted:

It has weapons that are close but not quite.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Small and Blue posted:

I just discovered that if you hit the undead hammersmiths in harvest valley with a full R2-R2 combo from the Nis Curved Greatsword it actually sets them up for a guard break riposte: https://a.pomf.se/vgkrcs.webm

Does anyone know if this is something unique to that weapon/enemy or can it happen to other not normally ripostable enemies if you just break their poise hard enough? What about if you hit another player in PvP with it?
You can do something similar to the syan knights in Drangleic castle with Dark Orb. With their shield up, you can hit them with (I think) three Dark Orbs to stagger them, then walk up an riposte them.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

lordfrikk posted:

This might be of interest to people here: the soon to be released Dark Souls-like Lords of the Fallen is coming out on the 28th and LobosJr did a quicklook thingie. Sadly I only had time to watch about 20 minutes of it but it looks cool so far, might scratch the same itch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNCXprgI9A8

This looks really easy. He was hit by the Commander and adds like a dozen times and never dropped below 60% health.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tollymain posted:

No and it is literally the worst thing about the game (that and the new halberd movesets)

Read
Dec 21, 2010

at the date posted:

This looks really easy. He was hit by the Commander and adds like a dozen times and never dropped below 60% health.

He mentioned that his armour plays a big role in this but yeah, it doesn't look particularly challenging. On the other hand I think it's more a numerical imbalance than the mechanics making it too easy, something that's relatively easy to fix if they wanted to.

Bingo
Aug 18, 2003

Has anyone else been using Yorgh's Spear? It's great to have a lance that also includes different weapons attacks in its moveset, I like the lances a lot but of course they dont have the most versatile moveset. I wish it was classified as a lance instead of a spear though, it's a shame it doesn't have a lance's 160 counter strength and its poise damage is also low for how slow it is. Still, a really fun weapon in pve and pvp!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tollymain posted:

Yes it's called the longsword. Only issue is that it's better now.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bingo posted:

Has anyone else been using Yorgh's Spear? It's great to have a lance that also includes different weapons attacks in its moveset, I like the lances a lot but of course they dont have the most versatile moveset. I wish it was classified as a lance instead of a spear though, it's a shame it doesn't have a lance's 160 counter strength and its poise damage is also low for how slow it is. Still, a really fun weapon in pve and pvp!

Yeah it's cool to use I think. It also looks sweet.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I wish some of the crazy DkS1 mods existed for 2. I saw a run with a mod that switched out your weapon for a random one every 8 or so seconds and it was great. Aggresion is also pretty fun.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Azran posted:

I wish some of the crazy DkS1 mods existed for 2. I saw a run with a mod that switched out your weapon for a random one every 8 or so seconds and it was great.

Do you know if you can download this anywhere? I honestly want to try it because it sounds hilarious.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah it's cool to use I think. It also looks sweet.

That elemental def debuff makes me terribly leery of it though.

Even though I know its not significant.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Do you know if you can download this anywhere? I honestly want to try it because it sounds hilarious.

Here
http://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/1r8p37/new_weapon_every_7_seconds_random_weapon_script/

I have no idea if it works.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Gestalt Intellect posted:

*Whoops, beaten.*

Cainer
May 8, 2008
I was dicking around the first DLC and noticed this cave next to the weird hidden tree path. Any idea how to get there? I don't see any obvious routes.

In other news, scythes are fun but man are they difficult to use. Not the greatest in PvP unless I meet someone who doesn't get the whole "don't hold your shield up all the time" thing, those are always fun since they just let me wale on them till death.

Edit: vvvv Aha! Thanks, was bugging me since I figured I was missing out on some super secret awesome treasure.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 20, 2014

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Cainer posted:

I was dicking around the first DLC and noticed this cave next to the weird hidden tree path. Any idea how to get there? I don't see any obvious routes.

That cave is the dumping ground after you beat the optional boss.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls2/mods/511/

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Any tips for Elana or Aava on SL1? With summons I can't get my damage output high enough, and on my own it's too prone to "whoops you're dead" stuff like pushing the button to take a drink when halfway across the arena only for Elana to teleport, after I push the button and start the motion, and kill me before the jug gets to my lips. She also summons Velstadt at least 90% of the time. I've wasted something like 100k souls on repairing life protection rings and resins. Using a +10 Mace, Ring of the Embedded, Cloranthy +1, Flynn's Ring, Ring of Life Protection, Vengarl's Armor, and Bandit gloves/pants.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

What kind of person keeps affinity and soul shower attuned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cowcaster posted:

What kind of person keeps affinity and soul shower attuned

Sonic the Hedgehog fans.