Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

Mr. Onslaught posted:

And it did that by letting you manually select a backup to restore from? I'll look for it, thanks....gah I'm super nervous right now
No, your phone is fine, it just put itself in recovery mode. If you use the app to get out of recovery mode you can finish the update and everything will still be on it. (Assuming you're having the same problem I had).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
I'm guessing the program you used was TinyUmbrella, which currently has the "exit recovery mode" buttons greyed out for me after detecting my phone. Hmmm...

korora
Sep 3, 2011

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I'm guessing the program you used was TinyUmbrella, which currently has the "exit recovery mode" buttons greyed out for me after detecting my phone. Hmmm...
I just re googled and I think it was RecBoot.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Recboot let me kick it out of recovery mode, but that just makes it try to power on and then go to black. So I put it back into recovery mode, and iTunes will only let me "restore and update", and it implies that some of my 7.0 backup stuff won't completely transfer over after I update to 8.2. That can't possibly be true, right? I am just thrown off by the last sentence in this warning not mentioning "media" like it did in the erased portion.

So I should just go ahead and hit the "restore and update" button and be fine from there, right?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

iPhone case chat time. I am ready to spring for a case I think and I want a leather one and before I just go ahead and get apple's leather case I figured I'd ask if there are any out there with a higher quality material?

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx

Sextro posted:

iPhone case chat time. I am ready to spring for a case I think and I want a leather one and before I just go ahead and get apple's leather case I figured I'd ask if there are any out there with a higher quality material?

Honestly Apple's leather case is the best there is from what I've seen. Especially for the money. There are tons of posts detailing why this case is so great but the main benefit is that it doesn't add much to the phones overall width and is very comfortable to hold.

There are few sexy looking wallet cases but I don't like the idea of having some that covers the front face of the phone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Recboot let me kick it out of recovery mode, but that just makes it try to power on and then go to black. So I put it back into recovery mode, and iTunes will only let me "restore and update", and it implies that some of my 7.0 backup stuff won't completely transfer over after I update to 8.2. That can't possibly be true, right? I am just thrown off by the last sentence in this warning not mentioning "media" like it did in the erased portion.

So I should just go ahead and hit the "restore and update" button and be fine from there, right?

Yep.. clicking yes to that doesn't delete anything stored on your computer hard drive. It only modifies data on the phone itself.

If you want to be super extra sure, the backups are stored in %AppData%\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup. Just send whatever directories are in there into a zip file and put 'em someplace safe. Then once you get the iPhone back into a usable state attempt a restore in iTunes to get all your settings back.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

I got my 6+ Friday afternoon, and I was walking home tonight, (Saturday) and I pulled my camera from my back pack and my headphone cable got caught in my mini tripod and pulled the phone out of my pocket. now my one day old phone's screen is cracked to poo poo. This is the second time out of all my cell phones that I have cracked a screen, I'm going to try to go to the closest Apple store tomorrow and get a replacement and a case.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Kinda surprised at how long it is taking for some of the bigger case companies to release iPhone 6 Plus cases.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Choadmaster posted:

Seriously, you've missed all the posts where people say they find the iPhone 6 is way more slippery due to its thinness and rounded edges? It doesn't matter if someone understands how to press a circle or not you nitwit.

Yes it does. The phone isn't water. It's not like someone forgets how to hold a phone to take a picture or is somehow less cautious of a device because it's thinner and therefore "more slippery". That's ridiculous.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I think some people feel like you need a delicate touch when holding someone else's phone because they know it's an expensive, vulnerable, item so they treat it like they were handling a newborn baby. In reality a more firm grip is better and I've had to subconsciously train myself to do that with my 6. The rounded edges really do make it more susceptible to slipping out of your hands. It's happened to me a few times already.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

While expensive I really love the apple leather case for the 6+. I bought one of the cheaper spigen cases but I felt like it added too much bulk.

Oh yeah and I truly love the battery life on this 6+. It's drat amazing. It's really almost iPad level.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 19, 2014

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm very happy with my silicone Apple case. I got it in bright rear end green. Plenty of grip, not too much bulk. I've been using my phone naked since the 3GS, but after the phone nearly slipped twice within 20 minutes of owning it I had to get a case.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

ShoogaSlim posted:

I think some people feel like you need a delicate touch when holding someone else's phone because they know it's an expensive, vulnerable, item so they treat it like they were handling a newborn baby. In reality a more firm grip is better and I've had to subconsciously train myself to do that with my 6. The rounded edges really do make it more susceptible to slipping out of your hands. It's happened to me a few times already.

Yeah, I have beat up, damaged goon sausage fingers and I was having problems picking it up cleanly stock or with the very sturdy and attractive Spigen case I originally used. The apple leather case has more grip to it for sure but obviously not at gel levels.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I hope 8.1 hits early enough that I can go get a healthy lunch at Whole Foods Mcdonalds tomorrow.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Apple Pay should move to other countries pretty quickly right? I haven't seen a place without an NFC payment system (except small businesses) in awhile so it would be really convenient. What kind of legal barriers are there keeping it out of Canada?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

tuyop posted:

Apple Pay should move to other countries pretty quickly right? I haven't seen a place without an NFC payment system (except small businesses) in awhile so it would be really convenient. What kind of legal barriers are there keeping it out of Canada?
Banks.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Feenix posted:

I hope 8.1 hits early enough that I can go get a healthy lunch at Whole Foods Mcdonalds tomorrow.

At worst you'll be able to do it for dinner. Let's just wait for the news report to talk about McDonald's huge boost in business thanks to iPhone.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Does anyone work retail or something like that have any idea how Apple Pay will work practically? Like, what am I going to do with my phone in order to pay? Will it work at restaurants and will the lil dudes come to the table with some machine thing?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How do I turn on the send/read a SMS on my Mac thing?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

noirstronaut posted:

Does anyone work retail or something like that have any idea how Apple Pay will work practically? Like, what am I going to do with my phone in order to pay? Will it work at restaurants and will the lil dudes come to the table with some machine thing?

You will have to wave it in a figure 8 and spin it like you do when recalibrating the compass. ;)

No idea about the restaurant thing. Was curious of that myself.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Not sure if this was posted here yet but if you were looking for some better backgrounds this site is pretty awesome.

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/downloads/rating/iphone/iphone_6/index2.html

It has options for all of the iPhone screens.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MarcusSA posted:

Not sure if this was posted here yet but if you were looking for some better backgrounds this site is pretty awesome.

InterfaceLift has always ruled for desktop/mobile landscape wallpapers, though I've pretty much exclusively used solid color wallpapers on my iPhones and I don't think IFL has any of those.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

MarcusSA posted:

Don't forget the true 6+ wallpaper size is 2208x2208, anything else will look poo poo.

P.S. I haven't been to a fast food "restaurant" in 25+ years and NEVER been to McDonald's, but I figure apple pay is a good enough time to give them a try.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

McDonald's is literally poison.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

carry on then posted:

McDonald's is literally poison.

Any better places to give a quick try to? Not cool with edible poison at all.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Pandora Bread.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Panera is less poisonous (unless you've got celiac or are paleo I guess), or if you have a Walgreens nearby they take NFC too.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey Siri just started giving stupid answers? It started saying things like "a watched iPhone never boils" when setting a timer and stuff. I can really do without Siri trying to be clever.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

fleshweasel posted:

Hey Siri just started giving stupid answers? It started saying things like "a watched iPhone never boils" when setting a timer and stuff. I can really do without Siri trying to be clever.

It's always done that. Ask Siri what her favorite movie is.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Giving silly answers to silly questions is fine. Trying to make cheesy comments in response to normal stuff would be annoying.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Pandora Bread.

I hope you meant Panera because Pandora Bread sounds like a bad time.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

NinetySevenA posted:

I got my 6+ Friday afternoon, and I was walking home tonight, (Saturday) and I pulled my camera from my back pack and my headphone cable got caught in my mini tripod and pulled the phone out of my pocket. now my one day old phone's screen is cracked to poo poo. This is the second time out of all my cell phones that I have cracked a screen, I'm going to try to go to the closest Apple store tomorrow and get a replacement and a case.
Think about picking up some Bluetooth headphones while you're at it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I hope you meant Panera because Pandora Bread sounds like a bad time.
Maybe she started making really good bread after that whole box incident.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, the stupid responses to setting a timer remind me of Apple keynote jokes.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I've never gotten anything other than "Ok, 5 minutes and counting." What locale/how are you asking for the timer?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

withak posted:

Giving silly answers to silly questions is fine. Trying to make cheesy comments in response to normal stuff would be annoying.

Every time I set a three minute timer she gives me flack about overcooking eggs. It's never been eggs Siri. Never been eggs. :(

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

noirstronaut posted:

I don't know specifically, but if it's anything like what we've had for the last few years in Australia there's just a little reader next to the register that you hold your card against for a second. Like this:

At restaurants, a lot of them have wireless EFTPOS terminals with the NFC chip in them as well, so they just bring the unit to your table. Or you can pay at the counter if you'd prefer.

edit; I'd guess you'll need to provide your card details inside Passbook on your phone, and maybe provide a thumbprint via TouchID to enable each payment?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

fleshweasel posted:

Next time she gives you lip say "That's not funny" and she'll go back to the stock responses.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

webmeister posted:

At restaurants, a lot of them have wireless EFTPOS terminals with the NFC chip in them as well, so they just bring the unit to your table.
If only they did that in the US. Here in the US, they take your card and usually go in the back with it, or somewhere else generally out of sight, where they could be skimming your card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
In Canada many of them have the sensor integrated into the pin pad device, so you just tap it on the readout screen. It can be kind of funny since the pads are pretty much identical and the only difference is some say "swipe/insert card" and others say "swipe/insert/tap card" so I end up standing there with my fistful of cards mashing it against the reader until the cashier says something.

They usually look like this, though we have the big explicit sensors with the symbol as well.