Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

JackMann posted:

...Goddammit. Had a bit of setting fluff I was showing off. Link should be fixed now.

no no this is much better

quote:

"That'll do," the Master said, satisfied.

"Belay those gears! We need this up for at least a fortnight, and I don't want to see so much as a glimmering between here and Ul Mach, you hear?"

On the other side, the Machist Leymen worked to stabilize their end.

Powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

"The author ... writes ... with ... pen."

- The NY Times

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

fosborb posted:

no no this is much better

Powerful.

I want this framed and on my wall, how do I back a KS for that?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Okay, so I'm no Hemingway. Like none of you assholes have ever hosed up and pasted the wrong thing.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
ACTUALLY I also gently caress up and my gently caress ups are also funny. I misspelled "questionnaire" throughout a whole bunch of sincere :words: on Dread, including linked docs, like a big ol funny gently caress up jerk.

That KS is cool and looks like its doing well, and was also linked and discussed just a few pages back by the way

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

JackMann posted:

Okay, so I'm no Hemingway. Like none of you assholes have ever hosed up and pasted the wrong thing.

I just read a post where a dude found out he's been making GBS threads wrong his whole life. So I wouldn't worry.

(The Google app suggests weird articles.)

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Eh, mostly just annoyed with myself. Anyway, glad the Kickstarter's already gotten some eyeballs on it. I'm leaning towards not backing, personally, but I might go with it if they ever do non-fantasy stuff.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Just a reminder that the Basius KS has eight days to go. How's the US bulk order looking? Is it on, or did it never really go anywhere?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

berzerkmonkey posted:

Just a reminder that the Basius KS has eight days to go. How's the US bulk order looking? Is it on, or did it never really go anywhere?

Never really went anywhere. I'm still down for it but I don't have the money to front it this time. I would participate though.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/563681582/the-folio-neo-retro-gaming-modules-for-5th-edition

I'm confused. Why would I back at 'full level' ($50 digital and $100 print) when he might not reach a single stretch goal and leave me with the same amount of content as someone who backs for just the firet module. What am I missing here?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

spoon daddy posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/563681582/the-folio-neo-retro-gaming-modules-for-5th-edition

I'm confused. Why would I back at 'full level' ($50 digital and $100 print) when he might not reach a single stretch goal and leave me with the same amount of content as someone who backs for just the firet module. What am I missing here?

Well, of course he's going to hit stretch goals! All of his other Kickstarters did, which means this one will too!*

*Please ignore the fact that none of his other Kickstarters got $15k, let alone $15k over the goal.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

berzerkmonkey posted:

With Mantic helping to ship 'em out, the Canadian rates are low enough it's more economical for me to grab a few at the standard price than double up on shipping via the US bulk order. Really wish I had more spare cash at the moment with how great some of those pads look.

How did people prefer using them? Glob a small ball in and press it to the base with some side details to fill in or go larger and cut off the excess? Basius seems to use the latter method with toothpick 'rough detailing' to blend in the edges but I'm not sure that'd work with all the pads. Going to have fun experimenting with them one way or another though!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

thiswayliesmadness posted:

How did people prefer using them? Glob a small ball in and press it to the base with some side details to fill in or go larger and cut off the excess? Basius seems to use the latter method with toothpick 'rough detailing' to blend in the edges but I'm not sure that'd work with all the pads. Going to have fun experimenting with them one way or another though!

I pressed the greenstuff/milliput onto the plastic base, spread it to the edges then pressed it into the pad and cut off the excess once it was dry. Lacks some finesse, and my first few tries had way too much greenstuff per base, but I don't really have the fine motor control to pull off a lot of the more intricate things others have been doing.

Sweet spot for RoW shipping is 4 pads, but I don't think I can afford that many. Fortunate then that I can really only see 2-3 tops that I want right now, considering the ones I have already. Kinda wish my series 1 Baker St Infinity AD pad was the new series 2 Hex pad, but if I hadn't backed the original then this one might not be happening at all, right?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 19, 2014

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

senrath posted:

Well, of course he's going to hit stretch goals! All of his other Kickstarters did, which means this one will too!*

*Please ignore the fact that none of his other Kickstarters got $15k, let alone $15k over the goal.

Was just making sure I didn't miss something here. Thanks

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Outer Earth is a kickstarter I came very close to backing but a few oddities kept me away.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/486573907/outer-earth-a-strategic-space-development-card-gam?ref=category

For one, there's the US shipping tier at $35 and a "World" shipping tier at $45, which would be fine if the text of the world tier didn't tell you to add $5 for shipping to the EU. That doesn't mesh well with the claims that they are going out of their way to putting effort into EU shipping.

The other one is sillier, but the game includes secret bidding and bizarrely rather than using the tried and tested method of putting your bid in your palm and then revealing simultaneously with the other players, you have a pair of bidding paddles which secretly determine whether you enter an auction, but then you just go around either raising the bid or bowing out. A clumsy element that just turns me off wholly for some reason.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

Mojo Jojo posted:

Outer Earth is a kickstarter I came very close to backing but a few oddities kept me away.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/486573907/outer-earth-a-strategic-space-development-card-gam?ref=category

For one, there's the US shipping tier at $35 and a "World" shipping tier at $45, which would be fine if the text of the world tier didn't tell you to add $5 for shipping to the EU. That doesn't mesh well with the claims that they are going out of their way to putting effort into EU shipping.

The other one is sillier, but the game includes secret bidding and bizarrely rather than using the tried and tested method of putting your bid in your palm and then revealing simultaneously with the other players, you have a pair of bidding paddles which secretly determine whether you enter an auction, but then you just go around either raising the bid or bowing out. A clumsy element that just turns me off wholly for some reason.

The guy was on Tabletop Deathmatch and in the written interview it is revealed that he doesn't play a lot of board games and didn't know it was as big a thing as it is. This was a turn off enough for me because everything you read about designing games says you need to play a lot of poo poo to know what works. He was also at the table near mine at a publisher designer speed dating event where you pitch to publishers 6min at a time for 1-2 hours.

Most of the praise of the game has been for its look and it makes sense, he's a graphic designer. Seeing him get on TDM and go through that entire speed dating without getting a hook may just be that his game is not in any of their interests or they have things like it in the works. It still makes me weary as to what made so many industry people keep away though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

thiswayliesmadness posted:

With Mantic helping to ship 'em out, the Canadian rates are low enough it's more economical for me to grab a few at the standard price than double up on shipping via the US bulk order. Really wish I had more spare cash at the moment with how great some of those pads look.

berzerkmonkey posted:

They just added a new kind of bulk order as well, the smallest is 16 pads for 36 gbp shipping

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Only a few hours left on my Kickstarter Boiling Point: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rosspayton/boiling-point-a-superheroic-adventure - if you back at the $15 level or higher, you get a bunch of bonus PDF supplements that have been unlocked due to stretch goals.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm extremely stoked that Lagoon shipments are supposed to be fulfilled by the end of the month. Might be my favorite game of the year, and that's just the no-art PnP version alone. With all the art and the bells and whistles from the stretch goals it might be one of my top all-time games.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

I'm extremely stoked that Lagoon shipments are supposed to be fulfilled by the end of the month. Might be my favorite game of the year, and that's just the no-art PnP version alone. With all the art and the bells and whistles from the stretch goals it might be one of my top all-time games.

Aaargh, with the Watch It Played video showing the awesome components and now this it's getting harder to wait patiently for my copy.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
I don't believe this has been discussed here... but there has been some hullabaloo going on with the Merged D6 KS. Apparently one of the partners fled the project, taking with him half of the dice. The other partner has no access to the kickstarter page, but is taking emails with address and photo of pledge, to send what dice he can. I don't believe there have been any confirmed dice sightings, but there is a possibility there.

The email to send your photo and address to is: md6dice@gmail.com.

good luck!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

sticklefifer posted:

Seriously, he's done a drat near perfect job with that, and I'll back any other project of his without hesitation.

In other news, Tiny Epic Kingdoms is arriving TODAY. Hot drat, I can't wait.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Lucky. Mine only just shipped today.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
... And Tiny Epic Kingdoms is here. It's gorgeous. Can't wait to play. Holy poo poo.

e: I'd post pictures, but :effort:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

LEDs lasers and motors for your terrain powered by wireless cannot possibly be a bad thing, and I wish money wasn't so tight right now

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My Mars Attacks KS order arrived yesterday. I was only in for the Dreadball team and the signed GNs though. Must thank Layman when I get the chance.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

haha that other guy made a dumb game kickstarter and got lots of money i can too right?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

dwarf74 posted:

... And Tiny Epic Kingdoms is here. It's gorgeous. Can't wait to play. Holy poo poo.

Nice, mine gets here Thursday and I'm pretty eager for it.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

dwarf74 posted:

All of the maps are double-sided. Each of the race cards has beautiful art on the back. The box top has art on the inside. All of the bits come in separate baggies so that you can efficiently store them. The stuff barely packs into the box. Best $24 I've ever spent.

Zurui fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 21, 2014

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Zurui posted:

Best $24 I've ever spent.

But how does it play?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

GrandpaPants posted:

But how does it play?

We mucked around with the print & play a bit. It's a simple, solid game that really takes advantage of that simplicity to create strategic decisions. The way turns work put less focus on who is acting and more on what is happening, and everyone has an opportunity to participate. I can't speak to racial balance or anything, but the sheer number of races and maps make it really replayable.

Edit: The breaking alliances mechanic is far and away the most complicated part of the game. It's an escalating Prisoner's Dilemma.

Zurui fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 21, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zurui posted:

All of the maps are double-sided. Each of the race cards has beautiful art on the back. The box top has art on the inside. All of the bits come in separate baggies so that you can efficiently store them. The stuff barely packs into the box. Best $24 I've ever spent.
Yep, I am likewise impressed. It's amazing for the $24. I hope Tiny Epic Defenders is half as gorgeous.

I almost hope I get a lot of cancellations for gaming tomorrow so we can give it a shot.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Did you guys get a shipping notification for Tiny Epic Kingdoms? Because I haven't gotten one yet. :ohdear:

e. OH wait I got one just now! What a weird coincidence on the timing. Like it literally came into my inbox just this moment.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Leperflesh posted:

Did you guys get a shipping notification for Tiny Epic Kingdoms? Because I haven't gotten one yet. :ohdear:

e. OH wait I got one just now! What a weird coincidence on the timing. Like it literally came into my inbox just this moment.

I got the notification yesterday and it was delivered today - so it's quick

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Would it be weird to mention how drat nice the TEK box is? It's astonishingly thick and heavy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Glad to hear about the baggies, my one worry with all the stretch goals and poo poo (seriously for 25 bucks we wound up with so much) was that they were gonna just have to throw poo poo in.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Would it be weird to mention how drat nice the TEK box is? It's astonishingly thick and heavy.

It's very high quality, I'm impressed. Definitely the sort of tiny game you can throw in your bag as an afterthought. If Tiny Epic Defenders is the same quality, it'll be another winner.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
TEK/probably TED are two of my big surprise backing success stories. Not that I didn't think he'd deliver or anything but I just kinda expected a normal 'hey here's a kinda basic game that'll be fun to play as a beer and pretzels thing with your buddies' thing but the amount of legitimate care and effort he put into his project was a huge shocker. Good on him giving indie boardgames a good example.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My copy of TEK arrived today and I just want to reiterate how well-made this is. The cards are really solid, and the fact that they put all the piece in little ziplock baggies already is a highly appreciated touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

NinjaDebugger posted:

It's very high quality, I'm impressed. Definitely the sort of tiny game you can throw in your bag as an afterthought. If Tiny Epic Defenders is the same quality, it'll be another winner.
Yeah, heck, all the components are amazing. The cards are sturdy and well-made, the tokens are nice, etc. But the box just stood out because it's almost wood, that's how heavy we're talking.

I was worried when I saw the game's shipping packaging, but it seems basically uncrushable.

• Locked thread