Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

projecthalaxy posted:

So is the Undertaker with his three separate major, protected submission finishes (Hell's Gates, the Triangle Choke, and Taking Care of Business which was his dumb ABA dragon sleeper) have the most submission finishers of anyone? I was thinking about this and as far as I can remember, all of the Submission Guys (Angle, Joe, Flair, Benoit) have just one move they specialize in their whole career (Ankle Lock, RNC, Figure 4, Crossface). Now for Angle you could argue that late in his career they got the grapevine ankle lock over as a different, better technique he had picked up while still sometimes using the standing ankle lock for low-threat situations. But still, that's just two.

Benoit would pull out a win with a sharpshooter every now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

projecthalaxy posted:

So is the Undertaker with his three separate major, protected submission finishes (Hell's Gates, the Triangle Choke, and Taking Care of Business which was his dumb ABA dragon sleeper) have the most submission finishers of anyone? I was thinking about this and as far as I can remember, all of the Submission Guys (Angle, Joe, Flair, Benoit) have just one move they specialize in their whole career (Ankle Lock, RNC, Figure 4, Crossface). Now for Angle you could argue that late in his career they got the grapevine ankle lock over as a different, better technique he had picked up while still sometimes using the standing ankle lock for low-threat situations. But still, that's just two.

Chris Jericho

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Web Jew.0 posted:

That's my favorite. It's racist, misogynistic, inappropriate, and makes no loving sense as a wrestling move name.

Like Christy Hemme's Flaming Firecrotch Guillotine?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

flatluigi posted:

One of the threads in here linked this video recently, which is Steve Austin commenting over his match vs the rock at wrestlemania 17. I found it extremely entertaining and I'd love it if someone could point me towards other similar videos - i.e. wrestlers going over good matches of theirs with a particular spin on actually non-keyfabe performing the match ("here's where I drew the camera away so he could blade safely", "here's me positioning for a clothesline", etc)

That video is awesome. WWE needs to pay Austin to just hang out and teach guys how to tell stories in the ring like that.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

actually Angle did the triangle choke for a period of time and that's the one time Taker tapped out. He also pinned Angle at the same time, however, so it was a draw

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I think he said that people actually tap to

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jericho got Kofi to tap out in a leadup match to Bray Wyatt. And...that was it, no one's tapped to that thing in years.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

DeathChicken posted:

Jericho got Kofi to tap out in a leadup match to Bray Wyatt. And...that was it, no one's tapped to that thing in years.

Break the walls doowwwwwwnnnnn

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Neodoomium posted:

That video is awesome. WWE needs to pay Austin to just hang out and teach guys how to tell stories in the ring like that.
What is it from? A one-off thing? I figured it would be an Austin DVD except for the network reference. I'm hoping there's more too.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

podcast

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

DeathChicken posted:

If it had gone long enough Bray would have tapped in a match eventually and need Harper and Rowan to save him.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

I think he said that people actually tap to

Jericho knows like 400 versions of the armbar, ok.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Writer Cath posted:

Hey! That one's not racist. :v:

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

DeathChicken posted:

I think he got Ziggler with it a few returns ago too.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Writer Cath posted:

Gaz-L posted:

Hey! That one's not racist. :v:

Also guillotines are dangerous, unlike happy endings.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Wasn't the last time he busted out the full knee-on-your-neck, cranked-back Liontamer when he did it on the ramp during his Punk feud? That was pretty cool.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
All I know is that I want Lesnar to win his next match with the Brock Lock.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

oatgan posted:

actually Angle did the triangle choke for a period of time and that's the one time Taker tapped out. He also pinned Angle at the same time, however, so it was a draw

Other way around. Angle was in the Hell's Gate and tapped at 3.1.

Incidentally that was actually the first great latter-day Undertaker match and doesn't really get talked about a lot.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Lesnar has won matches with the bearhug, Brock Lock and Kimera.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
I remember he beat hogan with the bear hug on smacksown.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

ColeM posted:

I remember he beat hogan with the bear hug on smacksown.

The only time I've ever seen the arm drop 3 times, and it owned. gently caress Hogan.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Hogan's run without creative control was so good.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I think you'll find that Taker's previous submission hold was actually called "Taker Care of Business", because :ughh:

DeathChicken posted:

They were doing a thing for Jericho's last heel run for a while where nobody would tap to the Walls, but they'd tap to the Liontamer version.

AkumaHokoru posted:

The Axe Kick to the back of the head was called the ghetto blaster a few times.

That was Bad News Brown's enziguri, so yeah, it's had a history of that.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Nut Bunnies posted:

Other way around. Angle was in the Hell's Gate and tapped at 3.1.

nope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbs0OsZWEAc&t=66s

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Angle also used to Crossface Chickenwing for a brief period in early 2000. Pre-Ankle Lock of course.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!

Yup. But actually you're both right because at No Way Out 2006 Undertaker had Angle in a triangle choke and Kurt turned it into a pin.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Maybe I'm off my rocker, but didn't they refer to Undertaker's gogoplata as the Death Sentence a few times before they settled on Hell's Gate?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

They may have, and I swear I remember it being called the Devil's Triangle as well. Or maybe that was the triangle choke.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

TL posted:

Maybe I'm off my rocker, but didn't they refer to Undertaker's gogoplata as the Death Sentence a few times before they settled on Hell's Gate?

It went through a bunch of different names. It was originally the Devil's Triangle, then Devil's Gate, then Hell's Gate. Death Sentence might've been in there for a while too.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Web Jew.0 posted:

Also guillotines are dangerous, unlike happy endings.

Also dangerous: Fire, some crotches.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

For a while, Taker's choke was simply "THAT MOVE!"

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

oldpainless posted:

For a while, Taker's choke was simply "THAT MOVE!"
How long was Daniel Bryan's labeled "That's the move that beat John Cena!"

Did it ever get a genuine name? Or was it just changed a dozen times?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

How long was Daniel Bryan's labeled "That's the move that beat John Cena!"

Did it ever get a genuine name? Or was it just changed a dozen times?

what does WWE 2k14 call the move because I think I've heard commentary refer to it as "the flying goat" more than anything else

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

oatgan posted:

what does WWE 2k14 call the move because I think I've heard commentary refer to it as "the flying goat" more than anything else

That's his suicide dive.

I believe they've settled on either "The Knee that Beat <the last guy it beat>!!" (it was referred to as The Knee That Beat Triple H at Wrestlemania) or "The Flying Knee".

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's really OK if they keep it at "the flying knee" because it looks like death and they try too hard on names anymore.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the flying miss kick

Demp
Nov 5, 2003

GLORIOUS
FWIW, Daniel Bryan's Legendary card on WWE Supercard says it's called the "Knee Plus" but that's probably just someone at 2K just funnin' around.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Demp posted:

FWIW, Daniel Bryan's Legendary card on WWE Supercard says it's called the "Knee Plus" but that's probably just someone at 2K just funnin' around.
that's what they called it on-air with the Triple H feud, which was changed as soon as that feud was over.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

gonna need some evidence of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

epitasis posted:

gonna need some evidence of that
That's the only way I'd know they called it that, I've never owned a WWE game.