Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Luigi Thirty posted:

Even if you haven't created kingdoms, it'll create them and give them to your kids. Best go create an empire within two or three generations.

This. Then your empire will split into like 4 pieces with you getting the empire title and the smallest piece when you die. Independence faction at 300% gently caress yessss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Slavic paganism is now even more of a tease.

There are significantly more Slav starts than the Germanic starts, but the holy sites are still in loving garbage places and at least one of them involves getting uncomfortably close to the Karling Hellstorm that is the Frankish Kingdoms.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It's so hosed. I could go feudal but I would have a levy of 50 people and no tax income. If I stay tribal my country will blow into a million pieces and I'll get the smallest one unless I smother the kids as they pop out of my wife.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

monster on a stick posted:

Banishing doesn't net you gold in most cases with the Charlemagne patches.
I figure that if I righteously imprison someone or if I capture someone in battle, I'm entitled to that gold, so I just hit ~ and whatever amount of money they had to my coffers.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So for the new patch I've finally abandoned CK2+. I've never actually played the game without it - it sucks to go back to the old factions. It is a shitload easier though - being able to Holy War constantly is a big change to me. I also managed to grab Aragon from the muslims without getting utterly rolled over.
All this time I just assumed I was really poo poo at the game and didn't know how everyone found it so easy, I never imagined just how hard CK2+ was making it for me.

I do miss the "Ransom All" and "Ransom Foreigners" buttons though.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I had a host army declare war. I immediately surrendered the desired holdings because I did not want to get completely wiped. I am now waiting to take them back but they still have huge army levies. Do they ever drop?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Frijolero posted:

So I had a host army declare war. I immediately surrendered the desired holdings because I did not want to get completely wiped. I am now waiting to take them back but they still have huge army levies. Do they ever drop?

When the ruler dies I think they vanish. That said some places (the Seljuks for one) will continually respawn horde troops. Which is pretty irritating.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I miss the old Empire of Francia flag, the red one with the yellow flowers. Does anyone know how to get it back?

My instinct is to roll back to a older patch, download the old flag from the GFX folder to my desktop, update again, and then replace the new flag in the GFX folder with the old one. Would this work?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
First time playing the expansion (ran Karlmon just to test things out). The game did not seem any more difficult than before the patch. I just ignored my brother and invaded the second someone revolted against him. Really, really easy to buck history there. The new vassal limit seems annoying more than anything and just means I'm tediously transferring counts to the "closest" fitting duke.

I do have a question though do the flavor events with your mother do anything but hurt you playing Karlmon? I mean the whole thing would be cute, if you know absolutely nothing about the history.

In that case, yes mother I'd love to drink that wonderful wine you are bringing me! And how thoughtful your advice to get rid of my loyal 24 intrigue spymaster. For the good of the realm, of course.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 20, 2014

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
When did they add the Shepherds' Crusade event? I was participating in a drawn-out crusade when suddenly the Master of Hungary appears in my realm with 30,000 troops (where I can only muster ~6000). I move my retinue to an island and start a plot to kill the Master (he's got no Intrigue and my character has tons, so instant 145% plot power), since the new rules give me 3 years before I'm forced to surrender. Suddenly there's an event that the Shepherds' Crusade is losing steam and the war ends, with the Master of Hungary joining my court. He instantly dies in an accident (an honest accident, not an "accident") and I get a ton of gold.

Never seen this before or heard it mentioned. What's weirder is that I couldn't find it in the game's event files, so I have no clue when this was added.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Anyone else having a crash anytime they click the "religion" icon?

edit:
code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	CK2game.exe
  Application Version:	1.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:	543be9dc
  Fault Module Name:	CK2game.exe
  Fault Module Version:	1.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:	543be9dc
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	0010a8d0
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:	1033
  Additional Information 1:	0a9e
  Additional Information 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:	0a9e
  Additional Information 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

ssb fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 20, 2014

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

shortspecialbus posted:

Anyone else having a crash anytime they click the "religion" icon?

edit:
code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	CK2game.exe
  Application Version:	1.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:	543be9dc
  Fault Module Name:	CK2game.exe
  Fault Module Version:	1.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:	543be9dc
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	0010a8d0
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:	1033
  Additional Information 1:	0a9e
  Additional Information 2:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:	0a9e
  Additional Information 4:	0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Several: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?808251-2.2.0.1-and-2.2-religion-tab-CTD-for-loaded-games

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I haven't had much of a chance to play Charlemagne, aside from Kingdoms not disbanding, does Elective Gavelkind work exactly how I predicted then?

Reveilled, September 10th posted:

I'm currently guessing that the heirs to your top-level titles are decided electively by your vassals, while your remaining titles are divided by gavelkind, and possibly--since it's meant to be worse than gavelkind--your vassals will prefer to elect people other than your children to the primary titles, possibly even preferring landholding vassals. This way if you have multiple children, you are likely to see their inheritances actually get divided as they all end up with the same title rank, and you end up as your eldest son under some other dickbag from outside your dynasty who got elected.

Additional ultradick moves that I don't think they'd put in but I think are worth considering would be automatically granting (with no prestige gain or gold loss) all possible creatable de jure titles in your realm to your ruler instantly upon death, so that you can't get around the mechanics of gavelkind by ensuring you have only one of each title; and allowing your vassals to elect nobody high king if you are at minimum crown authority, destroying the kingdom title and leaving everyone independent. It would reflect why places like, say, Ireland could elect high kings periodically, but there was not necessarily any expectation that having a high king meant there was now a Kingdom of Ireland as a permenant thing.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.

Reveilled posted:

I haven't had much of a chance to play Charlemagne, aside from Kingdoms not disbanding, does Elective Gavelkind work exactly how I predicted then?

Pretty much, except that electors prefer adults of your dynasty (although usually of a different branch). Also, heirs other than the primary heir can choose to become independent on succession. With my play style, they usually become independent with counties in my capital duchy, so I just reclaim them within a year or two.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'm beginning to appreciate the charms of Ultimogeniture.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Luigi Thirty posted:

Even if you haven't created kingdoms, it'll create them and give them to your kids. Best go create an empire within two or three generations.

I just captured Lithuania from the Danes, but even after I do the festival thing I'll end up about 100 piety short of forming the Wendish Empire. My new ruler only gets a fraction of a piety a month, and I picked up Kinslayer getting Poland back under Pomeranian rule. What, other than a lot of conquests, can I even do as a Slavic pagan to get piety? Unless the festival is a "once every X years" event, and not a "once every ruler" thing, I have a lot of ground to cover to keep my gains from falling over again.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Well, if you've reformed the faith you can give money to Warriors of Perun, but that's often not an option..

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

Red Minjo posted:

I just captured Lithuania from the Danes, but even after I do the festival thing I'll end up about 100 piety short of forming the Wendish Empire. My new ruler only gets a fraction of a piety a month, and I picked up Kinslayer getting Poland back under Pomeranian rule. What, other than a lot of conquests, can I even do as a Slavic pagan to get piety? Unless the festival is a "once every X years" event, and not a "once every ruler" thing, I have a lot of ground to cover to keep my gains from falling over again.

I don't know if it works for pagans but you can try giving whatever your temple holding baron level dudes are a county/dutchy to get piety.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

A question to you all, out of Sons of Abe, Rajas of India and Charlemagne, which one should I buy? (I have all the other ones, they came with the game when I bought it).

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Haha, wow, the other Zun guys are way easier, just keep that chancellor parked on the Abbs and take the one county to reach the lower ones, so if they declare on you, you can just surrender and lose relatively little but still reach those juicy single counties towards the Indian coast while tearing chunks out of your neighbours. Still, getting up to 50 will be poo poo unless I either start bordering the big Hindu kingdom, head for the steppes or the Abbs collapse properly, unlike the last few runs.

Unimpressed posted:

A question to you all, out of Sons of Abe, Rajas of India and Charlemagne, which one should I buy? (I have all the other ones, they came with the game when I bought it).
Ignore Charlemagne for now, the draws of that are Zun, which interact with India and Charlemagne (duh) which really needs Sons of Abraham to work.

Basically, sons of Abraham makes Christians almost as interesting as the Norse (best religion) and adds events and the college of Cardinals while Rajas gives you the three Indian religions which are a lot of fun to huck around with on the other end of the map where you usually didn't do much. Depends on which you like more though.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Same, so long as you can keep your fucker long enough the kid grows up and you have a young, chipper lad to take over. And once you get a good one you just arrest your wife and toss out yer concubines. What a deal.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

Well duh. It's far and away the best system. It just takes like 3 generations after forming a kingdom to meet the prerequisites for it. Even longer if you start as a tribe.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Is Rajas even a popular DLC? I hardly ever see anyone in this thread chatting about doing anything in India, much less playing an India-focused game.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Cythereal posted:

Is Rajas even a popular DLC? I hardly ever see anyone in this thread chatting about doing anything in India, much less playing an India-focused game.

I don't know if it's /popular/, but I enjoy playing Indian games, particularly if I'm playing a Hindu in the Northwest, and it also makes playing Persians a lot better, too.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Rajas seems like it secretly seems to be for nonindians. It gives those eastern muslims something to do other than sit around and wait for the caliph to kill you.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I'll probably try an India game once I get bored of taking over the world Eastern Europe with the Carpathian Empire.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Rajas is the only main DLC I don't have. It'd be like paying 15 dollars for Abyssinia. Little piece of land that will be completely shut off by the Abassids to the west with a bunch of useless poo poo to the north that does nothing when you own it except ensure that the Mongols come straight through you. Western Europe has got to be like a year long trek for an invasion if you manage to get moving before the Byzantine/Abassids shut you out. And even if you make it, their bases of power are a hell of a lot closer to that stuff than yours. Seems like it would get old fast.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Volkerball posted:

Rajas is the only main DLC I don't have. It'd be like paying 15 dollars for Abyssinia. Little piece of land that will be completely shut off by the Abassids to the west with a bunch of useless poo poo to the north that does nothing when you own it except ensure that the Mongols come straight through you. Western Europe has got to be like a year long trek for an invasion if you manage to get moving before the Byzantine/Abassids shut you out. And even if you make it, their bases of power are a hell of a lot closer to that stuff than yours. Seems like it would get old fast.

India has hundreds of provinces. One thing I like about playing in India is the caste system. You can't just cheese a million religious people via the intrigue menu to fill your conquered holdings and only pay piety. Everyone has their place.

I've only ever played there to get the achievements, though.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Yeah, India is about as large as Francia + Hispania + Italia + HRE (227 vs 238 provinces).

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
It's very easy to play an India only game. Out of the three you listed, it feels most like an old-style "expansion set" to me.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

pwnyXpress posted:

It's very easy to play an India only game. Out of the three you listed, it feels most like an old-style "expansion set" to me.

One of Paradox's first English language games was Svea Rike but with a map of England instead. When you united the realm, it congratulated you for conquering Scandinavia.

Anyway, Carpathia is formed and the Romans are back on their side of the river :toot:

I still need to become feudal but fuuuuck upgrading all my holdings.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Luigi Thirty posted:

One of Paradox's first English language games was Svea Rike but with a map of England instead. When you united the realm, it congratulated you for conquering Scandinavia.

Anyway, Carpathia is formed and the Romans are back on their side of the river :toot:

I still need to become feudal but fuuuuck upgrading all my holdings.

Burgundian Italy is beautiful.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

GSD posted:

Burgundian Italy is beautiful.

Might as well post the whole map.

Karl der Verdammte never formed the HRE, dying and splitting the six kingdoms of West, Middle and East Francia, Aquitaine, Burgundy, and Bavaria among his four sons. Pepin got France and Germany but he wasn't legitimized so the Australding family ended up with the two crowns for a generation before the Karling family got them back via claims. Except for Middle Francia which ended up in the hands of the former Duke of Modena and remains in Italian hands to this day. And then the current King of Burgundy inherited Italy somehow.

The Byzantine Emperor lost an independence revolt about 70 years ago and has been slowly trying to incorporate the various duchies that split off back into the empire. At one point part of Aquitaine fell to the Muslims but as soon as crusades were enabled one was declared and Christendom got it back. A decade later they picked up Jerusalem despite the Abbasids spanning from Tunisia to Baluchistan. And yes, that's Bavaria in Wessex.

Also, some of the titles in England have spotty title records going back to Roman times. Maybe we're getting a 476 expansion after all.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 20, 2014

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
So did anyone notice this in the decisions file?

code:
convert_to_local_religion = {
		potential = {
			is_playable = yes
			capital_scope = {
				NOT = { religion = ROOT }
			}
			OR = {
				independent = yes
				liege = {
					NOT = { religion = ROOT }
				}
			}

# The Indian religions can convert to each other anyway
			OR = {
				NOT = { religion_group = indian_group }
				capital_scope = {
					NOT = { religion_group = indian_group }
				}
			}

controls_religion = no
			holy_order = no

has_dlc = "Rajas of India"

NOT = {
				has_dlc = "Charlemagne"
				has_landed_title = e_byzantium  # May instead renounce iconoclasm
				has_landed_title = c_byzantion
				religion = iconoclast
				capital_scope = { religion = orthodox }
			}
		}
Buying Charlemagne disables one of the features of Rajas of India. Nicely done!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Agnostalgia posted:

Buying Charlemagne disables one of the features of Rajas of India. Nicely done!

A NOT block like that means that all of those conditions have to be true for the decision to be disabled, so it looks like an ultra-specific edge case that's handled by something elsewhere, probably.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
At the moment, I can't suggest my infidel vassals marry anyone I suggest, due to 'Cannot Marry Infidel' even when the person I'm suggesting is the same religion as my vassal.

Also, I've installed that mod that lets me plot to kill my own children, because current Gavelkind is a mess - my current heir is set to inherit no land, just a title. Marvellous.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

DStecks posted:

A NOT block like that means that all of those conditions have to be true for the decision to be disabled, so it looks like an ultra-specific edge case that's handled by something elsewhere, probably.

That is probably what they intended, but instead the decision is disabled if any of those conditions are true. It should be

code:
NOT = {
	AND = {
				has_dlc = "Charlemagne"
				has_landed_title = e_byzantium  # May instead renounce iconoclasm
				has_landed_title = c_byzantion
				religion = iconoclast
				capital_scope = { religion = orthodox }
	}
}
Or something like that. And yeah, they want the Emperor to renounce Iconoclasm instead of using this decision.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So is the vassal limit capped at 45? My Karloman victorious game is starting to get a bit cramped as I now have all the land from Iberia to Poland in the HRE and I'm running out of titles to consolidate things under.

Also, do barons count against the limit? Because if so that's really dumb, you're usually better off adding a Duke level vassal than a baron in the middle of nowhere.

Last thing, how many event troops do the Aztec spawn with? I'm debating turning on their DLC just to see if I can kick them out but if they come with 200k guys then screw that.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
I came across a strange bug just now. I have an older savegame of my Scandinavian Empire. The Fylkir/Emperor is was about 30 when I loaded it up post-patch and lived to be over 60 so I had a while to play. Then he died and the empire title disappeared along with his other held title of the kingdom of Sweden. His sons ended up with random counties and all the member kingdoms of the empire became independent. Except Sweden which broke apart into its component counties and duchies. And I ended up in control of the Duke of Saxony, a distant relative.

So long, wacky world of empires. Everyone had an empire in this game and they were mostly super stable. There are six in the screenshot above plus 2-3 more you can't see. The Catholics got smashed by my reformed Norse faith and most of the former Catholic states are now Orthodox. Catholicism only exists in Spain and the British isles. The world is either Germanic, Sunni, or Orthodox. India is mostly all Jain & all one empire.

The Mongols showed up but both of us being pagans made relations a breeze. Then they converted to Orthodox and had no holy wars and basically went nowhere after that.

That black country around Aragon is the Teutonic Knights. They've been there for about 100 years and are a constant annoyance in any fight I start.

The Arabs declared exactly one holy war for Africa (the King of Norway took it on his own, I had no part in that). I beat the crap out of them and got lucky and imprisoned a large portion of their nobility. I held a blot for some and executed the rest. They were left with new nobles and kids in place all over and no manpower and you can see the fractured results on the map above.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

DStecks posted:

It looks like it's centered around the Iconoclasm heresy that's got a fairly large grip in Byzantium at the new start date. Pretty sure they've got their own unique events or decisions about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Early game is a bit counter intuitive - you need to be super aggressive at the start. You have a strict timer - there's a lopsided war to your south, where one side has ~8000 event troops. The moment it ends, the now large kingdom will bear down on you and, at best, force you to convert. If you run down and attack them while they're fighting other muslims, you'll cut down that number enough that the war will drag on. Everyone will then be too busy in wars at the start to intervene in any of your aggressive holy wars, so go hog wild. After their wars end, you become the vassal of one of them around equal size to you, and push through elective succession / your own kingship. I managed to get both with the dudes to my south no civil war with around 110% strength relative to the liege, after having taken a bite out of every muslim neighbor.

Its kind of gamey, and there's a lot of room for it to go wrong. I wouldn't manage on Ironman mode without a lot of luck. Took me around, oh, ten restarts.

I'll try again! Thanks.

• Locked thread