Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Transient People posted:

Real talk, Starks is actually a ridiculously strong item for certain ADCs like Lucian. By having your support surrender a slot to give you lifesteal, you end up free to pick up a defensive item, dual arpen in youmuus and LW, IE and a shiv without getting poked out of teamfights. Zeke's Herald isn't bad, it's just underused because the situation where you need to give your carry a bonus slot to win the game doesn't come up often enough.

Or sacrifice your own defensive item to give your team an aura that is awesome for you as well.

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/1589367127/35935640

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
How to fix league of legends

Step 1: Nerf infinity edge
Step 2: Thats it go home welcome to season 5

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Observe Me posted:

How to fix league of legends

Step 1: Nerf infinity edge
Step 2: Thats it go home welcome to season 5

IE is pretty much ruining the game right now, even though it is really fun and a good item to get 2 of lategame but the enemy team surrenders before you can do it and impress them with your 2 thousand damage crits gently caress

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If you don't have IE, you don't need ADCs. I'd be fine with it but they specifically design for the position.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Libertine posted:

Or sacrifice your own defensive item to give your team an aura that is awesome for you as well.

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/1589367127/35935640

Starks tends to result in somewhat fucky itemization choices on the ADC though. It gives so much CDR that you tend to end up with some wasted stats because you really want a brutalizer on anybody who really appreciates that CDR, except on maybe Corki (who does appreciate getting more-than-lucidity-boots' worth of CDR to spellspam with).

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Featuring a guest who is a decent fella and not a fart smella

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Bholder posted:

Also the last thing we would need is Dota's item snowballing.

It's weird you post in both threads but seem unaware Dota is the less snowballing game (and because you're in the thread where more gold = more stats on items which isn't how it works in Dota).

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

How Rude posted:

I think more along the lines of having no chance in hell of winning, when in League the team with the upper hand can easily throw and lose the game because comeback mechanics exist in Baron, Dragon, and Buffs.

I promise you League is not the only game with giant embarrassing throws. There's also a Baron/Dragon parallel.

Bholder posted:

It just makes them hit harder, it doesn't give them a stun or immunity to CC.

So what? Items offering advantages besides doing what you already did except better doesn't inherently make it snowball harder. I'd actually argue League is the more snowbally game based on items getting more efficient the more they cost, weaker CC, and less powerful base damage on abilities.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

here's a cool picture for lovers of ISports.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Starks is good in theory but in practice its kind of hard to build and does nothing for you vs. Mikes Crucible which also helps your ADC a lot and lets you build a chalice in lane.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

BigLeafyTree posted:

I promise you League is not the only game with giant embarrassing throws. There's also a Baron/Dragon parallel.

So what? Items offering advantages besides doing what you already did except better doesn't inherently make it snowball harder. I'd actually argue League is the more snowbally game based on items getting more efficient the more they cost, weaker CC, and less powerful base damage on abilities.

I think the first part of that is the biggest one, having 3s+ stuns being commonplace is one of the worst things I can think of to counter snowballing, and powerful base damage was what made season 1/part of season 2 so insufferable with Tanky DPS

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

brennon posted:

I love that jump from S1 to S2.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

brennon posted:

i am a lover of iSports

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Starks is good in theory but in practice its kind of hard to build and does nothing for you vs. Mikes Crucible which also helps your ADC a lot and lets you build a chalice in lane.

Which is why you build it later. It doesn't have to be your first item. Nobody sane rushes BT in lane either anymore, but that doesn't mean it's a bad item.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

brennon posted:

having 3s+ stuns being commonplace is one of the worst things I can think of to counter snowballing,

Why would you think this - it's completely counter to reality.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Why would you think this - it's completely counter to reality.

Because binary gold checks are dogshit, and that's precisely what super long, super hard CC enforces. Nobody actually enjoys fighting Zed more than Khazix as ADC for precisely this reason - he gets free kills off you until you have QSS, then he's a worthless sack of poo poo. That's boring.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm really ashamed I started playing MadStone Udyr. I'm even more ashamed that it's the highest average scores I've had playing a jungler since Release Vi. I'll probably just play regular Udyr now, but the difference between my Udyr and Trick2g ShitStone Udyr is I gank before level 18.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

Wol posted:

This is consistent with the way the game treats physical and magical damage on the whole, though. Physical is very much the default. All champions can deal physical damage (yeah, even Karthus has an autoattack). All champions passively gain armour as they level up (except Thresh), but only some gain MR. Physical damage itemization and armour itemization are both more robust than their magic counterparts. On the damage side, physical damage carries get to multiply a whole bunch of stats together - damage, attack speed, crit and armour pen - while magic carries are stuck with the relatively flat and limited scaling of just buying more AP and magic pen. On the defense side, there really aren't any beefy pure MR items comparable to Thornmail or Frozen Heart. The most MR you can get out of a single item is 55 (BV), whereas the most Armour you can get out of a single item is nearly twice that at 100 (Thornmail). So yeah, there's a number of things in the game that serve to make physical damage the default and magic damage somewhat niche. It's not just that towers and monsters deal physical damage.

In fact, magic damage is so marginal compared to physical that whenever MR itemization has been any better than it is now, having more than one magic damage dealer on your team has been kind of a terrible idea. Just look at season 3 - AFAIK the AP items haven't really changed since then, but Aegis of the Legion was better than it is now. It wasn't even ridiculously overtuned or anything, just a fair amount better - and even that was enough to choke out double AP comps.

Yes, but what I'm saying is: if there were more sources of magical damage in the game (some champions already have the option to deal AP-scaling magic damage in their autoattacks, such as Teemo, Kayle, Azir, Diana, to name a few), then MR itemisation wouldn't be so risky to overdo because you would have an incentive to build MR and therefore you could approach the same style of balance as you do for physical damage (with some caveats, of course). DFG actually synergises very well with multiple-AP comps, for example. If AD has multiple ways of scaling, why can't AP be given nice things too (other than the three items that build off the Needlessly Large Rod)?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Transient People posted:

Because binary gold checks are dogshit, and that's precisely what super long, super hard CC enforces. Nobody actually enjoys fighting Zed more than Khazix as ADC for precisely this reason - he gets free kills off you until you have QSS, then he's a worthless sack of poo poo. That's boring.

You're playing against garbage if you think qss alone will save you from a zed.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

xeose4 posted:

Yes, but what I'm saying is: if there were more sources of magical damage in the game (some champions already have the option to deal AP-scaling magic damage in their autoattacks, such as Teemo, Kayle, Azir, Diana, to name a few), then MR itemisation wouldn't be so risky to overdo because you would have an incentive to build MR and therefore you could approach the same style of balance as you do for physical damage (with some caveats, of course). DFG actually synergises very well with multiple-AP comps, for example. If AD has multiple ways of scaling, why can't AP be given nice things too (other than the three items that build off the Needlessly Large Rod)?

That would require an overhaul considerably more extensive than what Riot does in the preseason. Basically it'll happen at the same time as Riot figures out how to fix bruisers.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

brennon posted:

I think the first part of that is the biggest one, having 3s+ stuns being commonplace is one of the worst things I can think of to counter snowballing, and powerful base damage was what made season 1/part of season 2 so insufferable with Tanky DPS

It's more like 2s+ and having CC that doesn't require skillshots, but fair enough. Bruisers are their own tangled ball of problems and I think it's unfair to lump it all on good base damage, although it's definitely part of it.

xeose4 posted:

The closest things in the game right now are probably Ryze and Karthus. It would be neat if they had a champion come out that had different item wants, like maybe their CDR caps at 60% or 80% instead which would make their itemization really strange. They could also do a champ that had some extra bonus on item actives or summoner spells, they've left that design space completely untouched so far.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Methanar posted:

Zed is a fucker to play against in other words.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

BigLeafyTree posted:

Another part of it is that, because you dont have those early/mid-game, highly efficient but deadend items, if you come back from your first recall with worse items than the other guy, you're hosed. And you will get more and more hosed as the other guy can more easily push you out of lane. There are no stopgap items you can build to stem the bleeding, no Drums of Endurance that are really good early but dont build in to anything lategame. The Doran's items come close, but there needs to be more of them.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Methanar posted:

It lets you actually him him around, so it's a start. Obviously he'll probably still kill you if he rushes you and nobody else is around, but having QSS means he can't really do poo poo in teamfights at the least.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Meat Recital posted:

Another part of it is that, because you dont have those early/mid-game, highly efficient but deadend items, if you come back from your first recall with worse items than the other guy, you're hosed. And you will get more and more hosed as the other guy can more easily push you out of lane. There are no stopgap items you can build to stem the bleeding, no Drums of Endurance that are really good early but dont build in to anything lategame. The Doran's items come close, but there needs to be more of them.

The problem with that is that any easily abused champions with strong early game damage, but who tend to fall off later, would gobble that poo poo up and be massive assholes with it. Remember 4 Dorans Blade into Tiamat Rengar from Ryan Choi? With a stronger, mid game equivalent of the Doran's items the jackass lane bully champions like Renekton, Darius, Rengar, LeBlanc, etc. would have huge potential to be oppressively strong.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If Madstone Udyr is so easy I'm doing this on my third time ever touching the champion how do so many players gently caress games entirely up

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

A Stupid Baby posted:

Im bad at Alistar, cannot do the combo anywhere near consistently, and still have like a 60% winrate with him which is higher than all my other supports, including ones I think I'm actually good with like Nami/Lulu. Having 75% true armor is really, really good and as a support you can just play cow-raka if you want to and wait for them to try something dumb and then just flash q w someone back in. You don't run out of mana doing that if you take 1 blue pot, the mastery points and coin IME.

I thought his headbutt-> free auto had been patched out?

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Flameingblack posted:

If Madstone Udyr is so easy I'm doing this on my third time ever touching the champion how do so many players gently caress games entirely up

By applying zero pressure and allowing an opportunistic jungler on the other team to secure ganks and objectives, the entire point of this 'madstone' crap is hoping your team will be completely fine without a jungler. If they are, well, you got carried into your lategame fantasy by good lane play or the other jungler not being active.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

brennon posted:

By applying zero pressure and allowing an opportunistic jungler on the other team to secure ganks and objectives, the entire point of this 'madstone' crap is hoping your team will be completely fine without a jungler. If they are, well, you got carried into your lategame fantasy by good lane play or the other jungler not being active.
I don't get it though. I was able to gank constantly and still got my Wriggle really early on. Those players are just awful.

It's nice though, I feel like I'm carrying games with this stupid loving build because he doesn't 100% rely on team members to stuff. He does damage and has a stun, and gets to lanes for a countergank quickly.

The only thing that sucks is since he has to run straight into lane, if there's a ward or your support/top/mid don't use any CC you're just standing around wasting your time. The Braum that game didn't even use his Q at all the first three times I tried to gank he was just useless.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Why can't riot just loving dumpster Maokai so I don't have to deal with him. gently caress that champion so hard right now.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Be the change you want to see, join riot and work up the ladder until you can order maokai to be deleted.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I kinda wish instead of being removed executioner's calling, runaan's hurricane, and frozen mallet all had their prices and maybe stats slashed, and then added the ability to combine the three into a Trifarce.

Also I just got completely destroyed by a Support Cait and AD Lux bot lane and I kinda don't want to play anymore.

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
I once won a game as support Ashe with an AD Thresh, before he was nerfed. It was pretty drat fun. Just play a gimmick in a normal and you'll feel better.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I just want to see recurve bows not build into trap items for newbies.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Just make it replace the two daggers for the botrk recipe.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Wit's End isn't a trap item, it's just bad. Except on Warwick. and Master Yi but don't let anyone else know

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

ungulateman posted:

and Master Yi but don't let anyone else know

This is why it's called a trap item.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Sword of the Divine Twitch :shepface:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Wits end is a terrible yi item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.
Any reason why Akali is suddenly in vogue again? Every game she slips through bans she loses lane but inevitably snowballs because Silver players are allergic to carrying pink wards and not facechecking bushes. Also have been seeing a lot of Katarinas too but she only gets ahead if no one brings hard CC or misuses it, which they always do.

• Locked thread