Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Yeah, my landlord at first told me he has "never seen a spider, not even a web" around the house in the 3 months he was working on the place. That's bullshit because I killed one the day I moved in, and the neighbors told me they've been dealing with them for a while. I just didn't realize how infested the place was until I started walking around the perimeter tonight with a newspaper in hand.

Last night I killed at least a dozen of them outside, then I took a picture of one in the kitchen and sent it to him to show him I'm not making it up. I'm going to take more pictures tonight when they all come out again, just so he understands the extent of the issue. These things are nocturnal so of course he didn't see any when he was working in the day.

The real issue is that there are a ton of smaller bugs around this place, so the spiders are flourishing because there is so much food. I'm worried that killing all of the spiders will make the other bugs so much worse. I want spiders around the house, I just don't want ones that can kill me when I go to take out the recycling past sunset.

The neighbors all have black widow problems too so I'm sure they'll come back unless we get some pro-grade pesticides out here.

Bug bomb will kill the little ones too, so the food source will be gone (till they get in again). I'd get a good exterminator to treat the exterior of your house so they can't get in. If your landlord owns both halves of the duplex they should get the whole building treated or they'll just keep bouncing between your half and the neighbor's half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Bug bomb will kill the little ones too, so the food source will be gone (till they get in again). I'd get a good exterminator to treat the exterior of your house so they can't get in. If your landlord owns both halves of the duplex they should get the whole building treated or they'll just keep bouncing between your half and the neighbor's half.

Yeah that's what I'm gonna tell him. Gotta convince him there's a problem first. My lease is month to month so if he doesn't fix it I either pay for an exterminator myself or just move.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Yeah that's what I'm gonna tell him. Gotta convince him there's a problem first. My lease is month to month so if he doesn't fix it I either pay for an exterminator myself or just move.
Bug bombs are a few bucks at any big box retailer. They come in multi-packs. Light a few off when you leave for work in the morning, or when you're out of town for the night. If you're really industrious, coordinate with your neighbor and do it at the same time.

As a landlord, I have had people come to me 24 hours after moving in and tell me about the hideous infestation *MY* apartment has. Similarly as to your guy... I've been in there on my hands and knees laying tile for a week, and haven't seen a single ant. I don't necessarily think they're lying, and I do think we all have different tolerances for eight legged critters in our space, and I'll admit than mine is particularly high... but I know they're exaggerating, and I don't exactly drop everything to rush over there. Also, I find that about 75% of the time, they brought the infestation with them.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
So, I had a lovely experience this last week. I moved to an apartment just outside of Atlanta two weeks ago, and this past Monday they were digging ditches around some of the buildings with the intent of redoing the waterproofing on the foundation to be followed up with additional waterproofing work inside the ground-floor units (one of which being mine). The contractor they hired dug out the ditch, piled the dirt up in front of the building, and left the ditch open at the end of the day, thus leaving the foundation exposed. Tuesday it rained from before dawn through dusk and I came home from work to find half of my apartment flooded.

I can appreciate the irony. :gonk:

The carpets in the two bedrooms along the outside wall (running along the ditch) were completely, thoroughly soaked, and there was a little bit of standing water in the hallways that seeped a few feet into the other carpeted areas. Fortunately, there was already a carpet restoration company on the property vacuuming out another unit that had flooding (albeit much less than mine), so they were able to remove the carpets, throw out the saturated padding, and then vacuum/steam clean the carpets. Since then I've been running the A/C, fans, dehumidifiers, and leaving the windows open round-the-clock, and the carpeting has since been re-cleaned multiple times and properly restored.

tl;dr - The management's stepped up to repair the apartment without any fuss and I'm not worried about about mold or mildew.

Unfortunately, the two rooms that were flooded had furniture and cardboard boxes with some of my things in them. Any boxes touching the carpet were soaked along the bottom, and some of the contents damaged; a couple of stacks of boxes toppled over as the one on bottom lost its structural integrity. I've been talking with the apartment management about damages and the corporate office insists that my renters insurance should be the one to cover any personal property damages in the event of a flood, per the terms in the leasing agreement. While I agree that would be true in the event of a normal flood, my thinking is that this flood was caused by the work they had contracted out: had the ditch not been there and the foundation exposed, water would not have gotten in. A representative from maintenance who was there the night of the flood agreed with me, though I realize that his opinion is not legally binding. As such, while it was an accident, it's my belief that the apartment is responsible for compensation. This certainly wouldn't qualify as "willful misconduct", and even calling it "negligence" is a bit of a stretch, and these are the only two terms stipulated on the lease under which the apartment is liable for any damage to my personal property. The total amount of stuff permanently damaged as a result is minor--- $900 worth of things had gotten wet, and nearly half of it has dried and seems fine at a glance; if I received compensation for the half that is permanently damaged, I would be completely satisfied. Either way, the amount of damage is less than the deductible on my renter's insurance policy.

At this point I'm wondering what my options are. I was informed of management's refusal to pay the damages via voicemail and I'll be speaking with them in person tomorrow; I'm expecting the property manager to pass the buck and make me deal with corporate. Maybe they're hoping I'll back down and not push the issue, or maybe they'll hold firm and insist that they're not responsible. Because the amount of damages, all things considered, is pretty small I would really like to avoid taking this to small claims court and souring my relationship with management so early into my lease. Not to mention that this technically was a flood, and the lease terms specifically mention reimbursement for anything damaged in a flood as being the responsibility of my renter's insurance; the fact that this flood was their fault makes this a grey area. Any thoughts?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

GFBeach posted:

calling it "negligence" is a bit of a stretch

the fact that this flood was their fault

These two statements seem potentially at odds. I think you would need to know what other steps could have been taken to prevent this. If you can say to the management that their contractor was negligent based on the lack of [standard protection measure here, if one exists], you might be able to convince them.

I don't know where you might go to get this information though.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If you have renters insurance, file a claim with your renters insurance and tell them all the details, and they will go after your apartment complex - but you will be made whole.

If you don't have renters insurance, things get more complicated, as you will have to be the bad guy, doing the dirty work that your renters insurance would otherwise do. I can sort of see both sides, but I would think a judge would side with you.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Leaving it exposed like that seems negligent to me. That said, let your renter's handle it and then they will fight the landlords insurance company who will probably then take it up with the sub's insurance.

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
Assuming corporate keeps giving me the run-around when I speak with them, will my renter's insurance take care of matters even though the amount of damage I'll be claiming is less than my deductible?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
How much is your deductible? How much damage do you think you have?

Your OP artfully tiptoed around declaring whether you actually have renters insurance or not, and the lack of mention kind of indicates that's something you hadn't quite gotten around to yet.

Call your agent (if you have one), this is their whole job. Other than selling you insurance, which is their other whole job.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

photomikey posted:

Your OP artfully tiptoed around declaring whether you actually have renters insurance or not, and the lack of mention kind of indicates that's something you hadn't quite gotten around to yet.
They outright state the damage is less than their deductible.

GFBeach posted:

Either way, the amount of damage is less than the deductible on my renter's insurance policy.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Right. But in the OP, which is a rather verbose telling of the story, there is no mention of insurance.

Renters insurance typically has a low deductible. <$500.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
And he's seeking $450 in damages. It's not that long a post, dude.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Random question: I know someone whose apartment lease has ended and the complex defaulted them to a month-to-month. She's mad that they didn't notify her ahead of time, and saying that the complex is "required to inform tenants when their lease is about to expire." I'm not sure I believe that; I figured it's your own responsibility to keep tabs on your own lease. Anyone know?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

The lease probably spells out what happens at the end. I highly doubt there is any law (or paragraph on the lease) that says they must notify the tenant, even though they usually do, because it's in their best interest.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
California has a bunch of dumb laws, is she in Cali?

But yeah, she signed the original contract, she should know when it expires.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

drat Bananas posted:

Random question: I know someone whose apartment lease has ended and the complex defaulted them to a month-to-month. She's mad that they didn't notify her ahead of time, and saying that the complex is "required to inform tenants when their lease is about to expire." I'm not sure I believe that; I figured it's your own responsibility to keep tabs on your own lease. Anyone know?

Personally, I wouldn't be upset. Now she can leave with 30 days' notice (or less) because of that, if she wanted. What's the issue?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skutter posted:

Personally, I wouldn't be upset. Now she can leave with 30 days' notice (or less) because of that, if she wanted. What's the issue?

She couldn't leave with less than 30 days. An annual lease will fall back to month to month status after it expires, and a 30 day notice of termination would be required.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
No, I think she's in one of the Carolinas (internet acquaintance). The problem is that she wants to renew because she can't afford anywhere else, but thinks that her complex is trying to get rid of her (she says the office lady is racist). I really don't know the situation since I was just politely consoling an e-stranger, but when she said that in response to my gentle "Unfortunately I think it's on the tenant to keep on top of when the lease expires" it made me raise an eyebrow. Later I learned that she has some late payment fees she's not paying as well, so who knows what else is going against her in the eyes of The Man instead of her skin color. She probably just belongs in the BFC "bad with money" thread to be honest.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Every lease I've had defaulted to month-to-month when it expired. The only time I was given notice was when the landlord told us a few months before it expired that we'd have to leave when the lease was over because he wanted to sell the place. If they wanted her out, they'd just say so. If she wants to renew, she probably can, though they may not let her if she has a history of late payments.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

drat Bananas posted:

No, I think she's in one of the Carolinas (internet acquaintance). The problem is that she wants to renew because she can't afford anywhere else, but thinks that her complex is trying to get rid of her (she says the office lady is racist). I really don't know the situation since I was just politely consoling an e-stranger, but when she said that in response to my gentle "Unfortunately I think it's on the tenant to keep on top of when the lease expires" it made me raise an eyebrow. Later I learned that she has some late payment fees she's not paying as well, so who knows what else is going against her in the eyes of The Man instead of her skin color. She probably just belongs in the BFC "bad with money" thread to be honest.

If she has a history of late payments and the landlord can easily rerent the apartment, then i can see why she doesn't want to renew her. I've seen landlords that automatically non-renew folks with 3 lates in a year.

edit: I just reread that and realized she hasn't paid her late fees. Lol that she thinks anyone would renew her if she is in arrears.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
The lease terms of my apartment states that smoking in the building is not allowed. However I know for a fact that one of the downstairs tenants is smoking inside their apartment. This has become a bigger problem recently with the cold weather because all of the heat and hot air comes from downstairs right into my apartment. If the tenant is smoking it comes right up into my living room and stinks up the place.

I reported this issue to the property manager a couple months ago and their response was to use the excuse of checking the smoke detectors in the units to have a maintenance guy walk in and snoop around. Not sure what that was supposed to accomplish because the smoking continued only a few days later.

Do I have any legal or practical recourse here to make the property owner actually enforce the lease terms?

I anticipate filing another complaint will just result in another non-resolution from the property manager. They can't just walk in and catch the tenant smoking and its not like I can take a video of the smoke smell in my apartment for proof.

EDIT: I'm in Massachusetts.

StickFigs fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 24, 2014

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Keep complaining, they will keep checking. One of you will give up and move. Hopefully it will be the smoking guy. Sorta depends on your landlord.

If the guy had a dog that wasn't allowed, they could make him get rid of the dog. But it's not like he's going to up and quit smoking - either they will cajole him into moving, or you'll give up and break the lease.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Practically speaking, continuing to complain until the landlord does something about the other tenant or agrees to let you out of your lease is about your only choices. I suppose you could talk to the tenant downstairs, there is always a small chance they're actually a considerate person who doesn't realize it seeps up into your unit, but I have literally never heard of a smoking dispute being resolved amicably.

Legally, there isn't really a good way you can force the landlord into effectively enforcing that portion of the lease agreement against another tenant. Bear in mind that even if the landlord decided to be really aggressive about it all on his own, his solution is essentially to start an eviction process against the smoker for breaking the lease. Depending on where you are, that could take months to resolve. If the landlord doesn't really give a poo poo and drags their heels (while still making some effort) your lease will probably run out before the matter is close to solved.

I suspect most lawyers would tell you to make complaints to the landlord requesting they remedy the situation, and then move out and use the situation defensively - i.e., if the landlord tries to sue you for rent when you break lease and leave, you contest that their failure to enforce the smoking policy violating your right to quiet enjoyment of the property and they had refused to take any action, so you were forced to move out.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
My mum is down in the dumps because for weird e/n reasons she's renting and not in her own home atm. She really wants some nice homewares to make the flat feel more 'hers' and has asked for two items I can find NOWHERE although they seem like they should be easy.

Plain Ceramic Teaspoons: Plain pottery teaspoons. Not for measuring, no hole at the end, not enamel over metal, no pictures or bows.

'Rabbit Ear' Plates: Does anyone know what these are actually called? Googling for that gets me nothing. The flat plates with little lips on either side so you can carry them more easily. Like the stuff you have green beans in at special occasions.

Failing that what are goons favourite 'design' homeware stores?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Rolled Cabbage posted:

My mum is down in the dumps because for weird e/n reasons she's renting and not in her own home atm. She really wants some nice homewares to make the flat feel more 'hers' and has asked for two items I can find NOWHERE although they seem like they should be easy.

Plain Ceramic Teaspoons: Plain pottery teaspoons. Not for measuring, no hole at the end, not enamel over metal, no pictures or bows.

'Rabbit Ear' Plates: Does anyone know what these are actually called? Googling for that gets me nothing. The flat plates with little lips on either side so you can carry them more easily. Like the stuff you have green beans in at special occasions.

Failing that what are goons favourite 'design' homeware stores?

If you're willing to drop a bit of cash, Le Creuset offers both those things. But be warned that stuff is very expensive (but it has a lifetime warranty and excellent customer service). I get my fancy kitchen stuff from Williams Sonoma and Sur La Table.

Le Creuset shows up a lot at places like TJ Maxx, however frequently there are knockoffs of poo poo quality mixed in with the real stuff. I'm not talking factory seconds, I mean actual counterfeits.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I'm in Philadelphia PA and have a mildly odd situation that I am not sure how to deal other than just being a pain in the rear end about it with the property manager. I am hoping it will be taken care of this weekend, but considering how its gone the past few weeks I am not confident that will be the case so I want to know what, if anything, I can do when I call Monday to try and get answers beyond just keep pressing for a deadline or any other info.

I had to move suddenly at the end of last month and found a nice 1BR on the first floor of a house. There is a basement that has an external entrance and an entrance directly into my apartment. During the tour the property manager showed me the basement, which was full of crap, and told me I could use the basement, all the stuff was their plumbers (which I still don't understand unless he is family or something), and it would be cleared out by my move in date of October 4th.

I went to pick up the keys on the 3rd and head over to the apartment to check out the place and make sure the keys work. Everything is fine except when I get to the basement and notice it looks like they haven't touched anything. I call and they say there was more stuff down there than the plumber thought but he would get it out soon but it would take multiple trips. I was annoyed and told them this messes with my move and what I am bringing with me, etc. and they apologized but said it would be taken care of soon.

I move in over the weekend and after everything is inside and I have a break I try to check out the basement and find that I can't open to door that leads to the basement through my apartment. Note that I don't have a key to access it through the external door. I come to find out the plumber went and installed a latch on the other side, but they insist he is going to clear it out still and just unlock it when he is done.

After about a week and a half I am as unpacked as I can be without putting stuff I was planning on putting in the basement into the basement. My bedroom has pretty much become storage for this stuff, so I am sleeping on a couch in the living room, which is cramped and am cramped in my kitchen as well because of all of this. I am starting to get really annoyed and start calling and emailing daily. They tell me now the plumber isn't going to get everything out but he is going to make sure there is enough space cleared for me to store what I need to down there, and that he is supposed to be doing that this weekend.

Its mid-afternoon on Saturday, he isn't here yet and its totally possible he was planning on coming tomorrow, but should he not come at all what can I do other than just keep pestering them? The basement is not explicitly listed on the lease, but it isn't like the rooms, etc. of the unit are explicitly listed on there either. I have a verbal agreement from them, and some mention in emails about being able to use the basement. Thoughts?

Before you suggest I throw out all this extra poo poo, a lot of it stuff I need for my home brewing and bee keeping hobbies that gets used at certain periods of the year. Without turning this into an E/N, this move was the result of an unexpected breakup with my 4.5 year girl friend and I had to get out ASAP. I feel like this space isn't mine yet because of all the crap around, and worse I have some stuff at her place still (not a lot but its still there) that I can't get out until I can get into this basement and really start to give me closure on this relationship. I'll get a storage unit if I have to, but this is really frustrating and at this point if they are trying to dick me over I wish they would just come out with it instead of stringing me along to some mysterious end. I am not entirely comfortable sharing basement space with this mysterious plumber but right now I just need to move things.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

I just wanted to say that my experience with U-Pack was great! When I called to schedule the truck in the first place, I waited on hold for half an hour, and they knocked off $100 as an apology for that. The trailer was dropped off Friday, we packed it up Sunday evening, they picked it up first thing Monday morning, and it beat us down to Florida by a day! They scheduled our drop-off for between 4-5:30PM and they showed up at 4:00 on the dot. We had it unpacked in an hour (which they didn't believe) and they picked it up about an hour after that. I have nothing but nice things to say about the process, and I'm really glad we used them. There was some minor damage to our furniture, but that was our fault (USE LOTS OF MOVING BLANKETS PEOPLE!). I would recommend this place to anyone looking to move long distances.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Skutter posted:

(USE LOTS OF MOVING BLANKETS PEOPLE!)

Adding to this, U-Haul rents moving blankets for cheap and you don't have to return them to the same location you got them from. They saved our asses this past move since our movers sucked and didn't come prepared AT ALL to pack our furniture.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

nesbit37 posted:

The basement is not explicitly listed on the lease, but it isn't like the rooms, etc. of the unit are explicitly listed on there either. I have a verbal agreement from them, and some mention in emails about being able to use the basement. Thoughts?
"You can use the basement" says to me that you can use the basement. The plumber will be storing his poo poo there, and so will the people who live in the apartment on the 2nd floor, and from time to time the property manager's extra items from other properties will be stored there, but you can store your poo poo down there too. That's what "you can use the basement" means to me.

Someone installing a lock on the inside of the door to the basement, and not providing you a key to the other door to the basement certainly seems to fly in the face of "you can use the basement", as you can't use it if you don't have access to it.

There is a vast middle ground between "I need the plumber to get all his crap out of the basement" and "I was told I could use the basement, and now I can't." Basically that the plumber can store his crap there, as long as you can "use the basement".

I'd call the property manager on Monday and tell him that your tenancy at your old space will be ending on Friday, and you've arranged to rent a storage space until such time as you can use the basement. The storage space will be $x, and you'd like to know if you should back that out of the rent, or if he'd like to pay it directly. Or, of course, have the latch to the basement removed and have enough space to justify the phrase "use of the basement" by Friday.

The "use of the basement" thing is really dubious, it could mean a lot of things. It's late now, but it would be good to clarify that. Perhaps an e-mail to the property manager asking about your use of the basement, i.e. is it part of the apartment, for your exclusive use, or will you be sharing it with contractors for the duration of the lease. At least then you will have your answer. I would iron this out before you go nuclear with your "back the cash out of the rent" conversation.

photomikey fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 27, 2014

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
I'm very strongly considering moving from NYC to the SF Bay Area with my girlfriend when my lease is up in May. I've never moved more than 40 miles away from where I grew up, and I've been lucky to have my friends to help me the two times I've moved, but I feel like it's a bit too much to ask them to help me move cross country.

So, what are my options for getting our stuff there? We have a 700 square foot one bedroom apartment right now, and would be getting rid of a lot of things before we move. I'd prefer not to drive a U-Haul across the country. Would they deliver those pod things across the country? I don't even know if I could put one on our insanely crowded street. I know it's probably hard to estimate, but what would it cost to hire a moving company?

Also, whats the best way to find an apartment on the other side of the country? Any other tips or things I may not be thinking of? I have a while to plan this out, thankfully.

As far as the job situation goes, I have already been approved to transfer to the California office if I so choose, so at least thats one less thing to worry about.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

photomikey posted:

"You can use the basement" says to me that you can use the basement. The plumber will be storing his poo poo there, and so will the people who live in the apartment on the 2nd floor, and from time to time the property manager's extra items from other properties will be stored there, but you can store your poo poo down there too. That's what "you can use the basement" means to me.

Someone installing a lock on the inside of the door to the basement, and not providing you a key to the other door to the basement certainly seems to fly in the face of "you can use the basement", as you can't use it if you don't have access to it.

There is a vast middle ground between "I need the plumber to get all his crap out of the basement" and "I was told I could use the basement, and now I can't." Basically that the plumber can store his crap there, as long as you can "use the basement".

I'd call the property manager on Monday and tell him that your tenancy at your old space will be ending on Friday, and you've arranged to rent a storage space until such time as you can use the basement. The storage space will be $x, and you'd like to know if you should back that out of the rent, or if he'd like to pay it directly. Or, of course, have the latch to the basement removed and have enough space to justify the phrase "use of the basement" by Friday.

The "use of the basement" thing is really dubious, it could mean a lot of things. It's late now, but it would be good to clarify that. Perhaps an e-mail to the property manager asking about your use of the basement, i.e. is it part of the apartment, for your exclusive use, or will you be sharing it with contractors for the duration of the lease. At least then you will have your answer. I would iron this out before you go nuclear with your "back the cash out of the rent" conversation.

Thanks, went in this morning to complain in person as the plumber didn't show up at all this weekend. The property manager did seem surprised and frustrated about it so that was good to see at least. I mentioned some of what you have there, and he needs to talk to his manager so we'll see where that goes. If this doesn't get a resolution or at least some plan of action than I am going to go back in a day or two and just be more of a pain about it since the longer this goes on the more it feels like they are just stringing me along for some unknown end.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
New people moved in to the apartment next to my girlfriend and are already complete assholes. In the span of about a week, they've already proved that they:

-love blasting lovely club music at nearly all hours of the day
-love letting their door slam shut (this is loud enough that it shakes her door)
-come home late from the bar with company, blast music and talk extremely loud
-smoke weed in their apartment (non smoking community)
-have company that walks naked down the halls (allegedly)

She's already asked them to close their door instead of letting it slam. She's left a couple of voicemails with the building management, but is under the impression that they don't check voicemail. I told her to make an in person complaint.

My deal is that I work two jobs. One of my jobs is club security. I really don't want to knock on their door because it won't be a friendly visit. Since I'm not on the lease, this will have a negative affect on her.

What other course of action does she have?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

DEAR RICHARD posted:

New people moved in to the apartment next to my girlfriend and are already complete assholes. In the span of about a week, they've already proved that they:

-love blasting lovely club music at nearly all hours of the day
-love letting their door slam shut (this is loud enough that it shakes her door)
-come home late from the bar with company, blast music and talk extremely loud
-smoke weed in their apartment (non smoking community)
-have company that walks naked down the halls (allegedly)

She's already asked them to close their door instead of letting it slam. She's left a couple of voicemails with the building management, but is under the impression that they don't check voicemail. I told her to make an in person complaint.

My deal is that I work two jobs. One of my jobs is club security. I really don't want to knock on their door because it won't be a friendly visit. Since I'm not on the lease, this will have a negative affect on her.

What other course of action does she have?

Cops with a noise complaint if their noise is during hours where a noise ordinance is in effect.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Cheesegod posted:

I'm very strongly considering moving from NYC to the SF Bay Area with my girlfriend when my lease is up in May. I've never moved more than 40 miles away from where I grew up, and I've been lucky to have my friends to help me the two times I've moved, but I feel like it's a bit too much to ask them to help me move cross country.

So, what are my options for getting our stuff there? We have a 700 square foot one bedroom apartment right now, and would be getting rid of a lot of things before we move. I'd prefer not to drive a U-Haul across the country. Would they deliver those pod things across the country? I don't even know if I could put one on our insanely crowded street. I know it's probably hard to estimate, but what would it cost to hire a moving company?

Also, whats the best way to find an apartment on the other side of the country? Any other tips or things I may not be thinking of? I have a while to plan this out, thankfully.

As far as the job situation goes, I have already been approved to transfer to the California office if I so choose, so at least thats one less thing to worry about.

Check out my post a few spots up, use U-Pack. They are cheap and awesome, especially if you don't have a lot of stuff. We packed up all of our kitchen stuff, furniture, clothes, and other non-breakables, and drove with our valuable/fragile items. Also, from reading several threads on here (there's an interesting one that was in e/n recently about a roommate issue), but SF housing is insane. It sounds even worse than in NYC, because in NYC you can build new buildings. Good luck either way.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Cops with a noise complaint if their noise is during hours where a noise ordinance is in effect.
This. Also, the goal is to get the cops out there twice in one night, and when you call the second time, ask for the same cops you got the last time. This will generally get the cop sufficiently pissed off enough to write a citation.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock

Skutter posted:

Check out my post a few spots up, use U-Pack. They are cheap and awesome, especially if you don't have a lot of stuff. We packed up all of our kitchen stuff, furniture, clothes, and other non-breakables, and drove with our valuable/fragile items. Also, from reading several threads on here (there's an interesting one that was in e/n recently about a roommate issue), but SF housing is insane. It sounds even worse than in NYC, because in NYC you can build new buildings. Good luck either way.

Thanks, I'll look into that. My problem though is theres not really much space to store a trailer where I currently live. The office where I'll be working is outside of SF, so I'll probably be living outside of SF as well. I would much rather live in SF but the commute doesn't make sense and like you said, finding a place there is insane.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

photomikey posted:

This. Also, the goal is to get the cops out there twice in one night, and when you call the second time, ask for the same cops you got the last time. This will generally get the cop sufficiently pissed off enough to write a citation.

That's the next step that we are hoping on not getting to. We're trying to give them the benefit of the doubt because they just moved in, but it's starting to get excessive at this point.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
You know, you can make it known you don't like them, so that eventually when you have to call the cops, they'll know it's you, and they'll dump dog poo poo in your sunroof and steal your mail.

Or, when they break the laws that we have formed so we can live as a peaceful society, you can call the cops and have the people that we as a society have appointed deal with it.

I used to feel kinda bad about it. In fact, I hadn't ever called 911 until I was beyond 30 years of age. Then I moved into a "transitional" neighborhood, and I called a *lot*. But, as long as you are on the right side of the law, and they are on the wrong side of the law, and you are patient about it... eventually, they will move. (Or clean up their act. But probably move.)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You'd better choose a good night to call the cops, because they are not going to be pleased if they're called out for a conversation or a slammed door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Also don't call 911, find your local police office and get their regular number online or something. Don't take up spots in emergency calls.