Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Single Tight Female posted:

A lapsed goon friend of mine might be, I can check with him in a couple hours. He only has the core set and Lions of the Rock too, so he might be interested in a pile.

Awesome. Let me know. :)

Hortism posted:

If you were willing to ship to Australia, I was just thinking about getting into it, and it'd probably be easier for me to buy a bulk collection. Though I get the feeling the shipping costs could be ridiculous.

I'd be fine with it, but as you say, I'd expect shipping to be horrendous. I'll send anyone a PM or mail of the inventory if they're interested, rather than clutter the thread any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I played a game of Conquest last night and we had only one question come up.

When, during battles, can you play events and actions (like on a location card)? In two places in the rulebook it seemed to indicate these cards could only be played in between battles, but several of the cards seemed to take place during a battle.

We went that you could use them during a battle, but that was your turn. Like you couldn't use an event and attack on the same turn.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

omnibobb posted:

When, during battles, can you play events and actions (like on a location card)? In two places in the rulebook it seemed to indicate these cards could only be played in between battles, but several of the cards seemed to take place during a battle.

We went that you could use them during a battle, but that was your turn. Like you couldn't use an event and attack on the same turn.

The reference guide has a diagram showing when action windows occur, but it is essentially after every step. They do not replace your turn.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

omnibobb posted:

I believe those fall under the action windows that are before and after exhausting someone to attack. I think that you can play as many as you want during that time. The only thing is that if both players need to go at the same time, the initiative player goes first. This may be wrong, but it is how we are playing it.

I have a question as well. In shadowsun, you cannot use his power to place army units that can be played as attachments, with the one exception printed in the text. However, there is a tau card that makes attachments cheaper. Do that support card make army units played as attachments cheaper or does the same logic apply?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rusty Kettle posted:

I have a question as well. In shadowsun, you cannot use his power to place army units that can be played as attachments, with the one exception printed in the text. However, there is a tau card that makes attachments cheaper. Do that support card make army units played as attachments cheaper or does the same logic apply?

Yeah, the Ambush Platform will make things like Gun Drones and Stealth Cadres cheaper as long as they are deployed as attachments. The difference is that Shadowsun herself "puts into play," whereas the wording on Gun Drones and Stealth Cadres "may be deployed as attachments." That is, you can't put a Gun Drone "into play" as an attachment, but you can "deploy as" an attachment.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Ok. I was looking at the "combat phase" sequence in the rules reference guide. If I would've turned to page I would've seen the "battle resolution" sequence.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

GrandpaPants posted:

The reference guide has a diagram showing when action windows occur, but it is essentially after every step. They do not replace your turn.

I'm not sure if this is different than Star Wars or not but in Star Wars during the deploy phase taking an action and deploying a card are both your "action" while battles there's a separate action window in between combat actions. What that means is that you couldn't for example deploy a card and then play an action card back to back. Maybe someone who's able to check the rules could clarify if that's the same in Conquest or if its different than Star Wars.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

PaybackJack posted:

I'm not sure if this is different than Star Wars or not but in Star Wars during the deploy phase taking an action and deploying a card are both your "action" while battles there's a separate action window in between combat actions. What that means is that you couldn't for example deploy a card and then play an action card back to back. Maybe someone who's able to check the rules could clarify if that's the same in Conquest or if its different than Star Wars.

I was referring to the Battle Phase, but I didn't think about that in the Deploy. I've been playing it as Event = your turn, but I guess it matters far less in the Deploy phase so we never actually bothered to look it up.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

I was referring to the Battle Phase, but I didn't think about that in the Deploy. I've been playing it as Event = your turn, but I guess it matters far less in the Deploy phase so we never actually bothered to look it up.

Yeah, this is right. When it's your turn to Deploy, you can take an Action or Deploy a card, then it's your opponent's go. This is why all the deploy cost reducers are Interrupts rather then Actions.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Yeah, this is right. When it's your turn to Deploy, you can take an Action or Deploy a card, then it's your opponent's go. This is why all the deploy cost reducers are Interrupts rather then Actions.

It's important as well because it means you can't chain the Orc that comes into play and deals damage with the Chaos Flamers unit action ability without giving your opponent a chance to play an action of their own. You could chain in a battle though, attacking with the Flamers then sacrificing them to deal 2 damage if you had initiative before your opponent had a chance to play an action card.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
We played an Orc starter versus a Dark Eldar starter. It seemed that the orcs way overpowered the de. Is that because of using a single core set or just bad draw on de? I was pulling out tons of dudes and he could pick off one every now and then but it was just a green tidal wave swamping over them.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

omnibobb posted:

We played an Orc starter versus a Dark Eldar starter. It seemed that the orcs way overpowered the de. Is that because of using a single core set or just bad draw on de? I was pulling out tons of dudes and he could pick off one every now and then but it was just a green tidal wave swamping over them.

Any game with a single core set will depend on draw, since almost everything will be 1-ofs.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Me and my friend are progressing through the LOTR LCG mostly in the order they came out and I have a question: is there supposed to be a massive difficulty spike at Heirs of Numenor? We'd been doing well up to this point with half-assed decks but now we can barely get passed the first couple rounds without a perfect starting hand. It seems like these quests are extremely front-loaded. So much so, that even when we get by the starting enemies the damage they've done has caused us to play the rest of the game on a knife's edge.

Also we got to use the new Gandalf and he is exactly as amazing as you'd expect. Playing the top of the deck saved us a few times but mostly just acted as a ridiculous amount of free card draw. I was also extremely impressed by Gandalf's staff, having a free hasty stroke every turn is pretty good it turns out, and if you don't need it for that then a free resource or card is good too.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

sirtommygunn posted:

Me and my friend are progressing through the LOTR LCG mostly in the order they came out and I have a question: is there supposed to be a massive difficulty spike at Heirs of Numenor? We'd been doing well up to this point with half-assed decks but now we can barely get passed the first couple rounds without a perfect starting hand. It seems like these quests are extremely front-loaded. So much so, that even when we get by the starting enemies the damage they've done has caused us to play the rest of the game on a knife's edge.

Also we got to use the new Gandalf and he is exactly as amazing as you'd expect. Playing the top of the deck saved us a few times but mostly just acted as a ridiculous amount of free card draw. I was also extremely impressed by Gandalf's staff, having a free hasty stroke every turn is pretty good it turns out, and if you don't need it for that then a free resource or card is good too.

Heirs of Numenor and the Against the Shadow cycle can be very difficult. My friends and I frequently dropped to Easy Mode during the Heirs of Numenor quests and the quests from AtS that we've done so far. You really need to think about strategy and building or modifying your decks for the specific quests in this cycle. Thematically, many of them are pretty cool, but boy are they rough.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I'm trying out playing Orks and Chaos, giving that 9 damage Daemon a rockit launcher is just awesome. You have initiative? Well too bad I have ranged, BOOM. I'm trying to build the deck around swarming the first plant everyturn and trying to take out the enemy Warlords with enchanced units like giving Goff Boys the Rune Encrusted Armor.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
So I'm playing conquest, and if you deploy a unit to a non-first planet, do they just sit there?
Can I get them back? If they don't have mobile are they just goin to sit there forever?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

So I'm playing conquest, and if you deploy a unit to a non-first planet, do they just sit there?
Can I get them back? If they don't have mobile are they just goin to sit there forever?

I don't have my rulebook handy but I think if your warlord goes to a planet and then retreats, you have the option to retreat units back to HQ along with him.

edit: Actually I believe at any planet with a battle, after everyone fights the first round and exhausts, both players ready all units and have the opportunity to retreat to HQ.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 16, 2014

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

That's right and units will eventually get to attack because the first planet marker
moves one closer every turn.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

plester1 posted:

I don't have my rulebook handy but I think if your warlord goes to a planet and then retreats, you have the option to retreat units back to HQ along with him.

I don't think this actually happens until the end of the combat round where each player gets the option to retreat. I don't think this happens if a battle ends through victory or if your warlord does the Warlord retreat.

So yes you're basically seeding the planet for a future battle. This is SUPER important if you have dudes with Ranged in your HQ.

EvilChameleon posted:

Are there good resources for making some good starter decks that I can just hand to people and play with? I haven't actually played the game myself yet but I've watched some videos so I have a decent understanding, I'm just worried I might make lovely decks that aren't well balanced or always end up giving people bad decks and crushing them or not having a representative game. Ramble ramble help me goons.

I realized that this wasn't actually answered, but going by absolutely nothing, I get the feeling that Space Marine/IG (or Tau probably works well too if you just want stuff like Ion Rifle and Ranged units) vs Chaos/Orks seems like a pretty simple matchup. Tau and Eldar both rely on card knowledge to be really effective, dark eldar are pretty fragile and would wipe pretty quickly against anything with area effect (and rely on some card interactions as well, since they have a lot of event-based poo poo), whereas the two pairings above are pretty much combat oriented with a solid smattering of tricks. SM and Chaos both also have their respective wipes, which are really, really good things to watch out for.* Chaos can also teach the importance of Action Window timing with the Flamers, and SM can learn to retreat their warlord immediately if Zarathur and one of his Flamers is on the same planet.

If you have one core, it shouldn't be too hard to cobble together decent enough decks for both. I think that getting to use a variety of cards would trigger a deckbuilding desire response in anyone who is already prone to deck construction games.

*Make sure both sides are aware of the other's wipes! It is a lovely surprise!

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

GrandpaPants posted:

I realized that this wasn't actually answered, but going by absolutely nothing, I get the feeling that Space Marine/IG (or Tau probably works well too if you just want stuff like Ion Rifle and Ranged units) vs Chaos/Orks seems like a pretty simple matchup.

I bought two core sets because I am a crazy person, so I was thinking I could just make a deck for each faction so people can play for flavour I guess, but that is not really that solid? I just got the game today so I don't know what would give people a good feel for the game, but I might take these suggestions and try something out. Is there a good site up already that has some good decklists?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

EvilChameleon posted:

I bought two core sets because I am a crazy person, so I was thinking I could just make a deck for each faction so people can play for flavour I guess, but that is not really that solid? I just got the game today so I don't know what would give people a good feel for the game, but I might take these suggestions and try something out. Is there a good site up already that has some good decklists?

These decks probably suck because I made them in like 5 minutes, but someone else can critique them for "ease of play." Based on 2x Cores.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

GrandpaPants posted:

These decks probably suck because I made them in like 5 minutes, but someone else can critique them for "ease of play." Based on 2x Cores.

Gonna give them a go, we'll see how it works out. I think I got the rules mostly down, but just to be clear, the damage that units take doesn't just go away at the end of the round or something like in, say, Magic where if you don't kill a thing it just heals up for next turn?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

EvilChameleon posted:

Gonna give them a go, we'll see how it works out. I think I got the rules mostly down, but just to be clear, the damage that units take doesn't just go away at the end of the round or something like in, say, Magic where if you don't kill a thing it just heals up for next turn?

You use damage markers to track damage, it doesn't go away unless something specifically removes damage.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
Do Warlords just sit at the planet they were assigned to until the next Command Phase? I just played my first game and we thought it was a bit weird that warlords would just sit around doing nothing, but I can see why you would leave them there to be open to card effects, etc. Also, if dudes generally come into play Ready, what is the point of Experimental Devilfish's text? "Reaction: After this unit commits to a planet, ready it."

Oh, and I squished my roommate with the Space Mehrines deck GrandpaPants posted.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

EvilChameleon posted:

Do Warlords just sit at the planet they were assigned to until the next Command Phase? I just played my first game and we thought it was a bit weird that warlords would just sit around doing nothing, but I can see why you would leave them there to be open to card effects, etc. Also, if dudes generally come into play Ready, what is the point of Experimental Devilfish's text? "Reaction: After this unit commits to a planet, ready it."

Oh, and I squished my roommate with the Space Mehrines deck GrandpaPants posted.

Warlords, assuming they didn't retreat, return to HQ during the HQ phase (I think?). In any case, they return. They're generally not even applicable to most card effects, since most will usually target either "Army Unit" (a Warlord is not an Army Unit) or even explicitly "non-Warlord unit."

Experimental Devilfish is for when you have it in HQ (because it either retreated or came from first planet) and gets deployed with the Warlord. Those units come into play exhausted.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Conquest has been great so far, the only thing we're hung up on now is what type a card is.
At first we were confused with Squigs Bombin' or whatever Ork card that lets you blow up a support, but the rulebook explained that.
But now, we have no idea what's a 'WARGEAR' or not? I mean, it makes sense you wouldn't be able to give a tank a sword or whatever. But the Relic Sword just says 'Relic Weapon' not 'Relic, Wargear, Weapon' or what have you.
I feel like we're missing something pretty obvious in the rulebook but I haven't been able to find anything.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Conquest has been great so far, the only thing we're hung up on now is what type a card is.
At first we were confused with Squigs Bombin' or whatever Ork card that lets you blow up a support, but the rulebook explained that.
But now, we have no idea what's a 'WARGEAR' or not? I mean, it makes sense you wouldn't be able to give a tank a sword or whatever. But the Relic Sword just says 'Relic Weapon' not 'Relic, Wargear, Weapon' or what have you.
I feel like we're missing something pretty obvious in the rulebook but I haven't been able to find anything.

There is no Relic Sword, are you talking about Tallassarian Tempest Blade? Technically you would be able to attach it to vehicle, but it doesn't matter because there aren't, right now, any unique vehicles, so it doesn't matter. Take a look at Godwyn Pattern Bolter: Wargear. Weapon. It's definitely a type. Every card subtype is listed in italics on the card.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 18, 2014

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

GrandpaPants posted:

Experimental Devilfish is for when you have it in HQ (because it either retreated or came from first planet) and gets deployed with the Warlord. Those units come into play exhausted.

Where is this in the rules? I've been playing super wrong, always un-exhausting everything and having huge armies with the Warlord every command phase. This would make more sense but I think I skimmed over the part that says things come from HQ exhausted. Other newbie questions: If there is only one side at a planet during the battle phase, like I commit my Warlord to an empty planet, does the battle text on the planet still happen since I "win" but I didn't actually fight? And secondly, does Zarathur (Chaos Warlord)'s ability increase all damage or just attacks? Specifically, I was using an AoE and wasn't sure if it was amplified by Zarathur's ability. Based on the rules I could find it makes sense that it would, but I am not sure.

Are there any good resources for Conquest yet besides the deckbuilder? Theorycrafting and whatnot? I think I'm gonna try to make two more decks so I can have two games going at once (since I have the two core sets) -- which factions would you recommend going to next since I have Space Marines and Chaos already?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

EvilChameleon posted:

Where is this in the rules? I've been playing super wrong, always un-exhausting everything and having huge armies with the Warlord every command phase. This would make more sense but I think I skimmed over the part that says things come from HQ exhausted. Other newbie questions: If there is only one side at a planet during the battle phase, like I commit my Warlord to an empty planet, does the battle text on the planet still happen since I "win" but I didn't actually fight? And secondly, does Zarathur (Chaos Warlord)'s ability increase all damage or just attacks? Specifically, I was using an AoE and wasn't sure if it was amplified by Zarathur's ability. Based on the rules I could find it makes sense that it would, but I am not sure.

Are there any good resources for Conquest yet besides the deckbuilder? Theorycrafting and whatnot? I think I'm gonna try to make two more decks so I can have two games going at once (since I have the two core sets) -- which factions would you recommend going to next since I have Space Marines and Chaos already?

All of the units that commit to a planet alongside the warlord (followed him from your HQ) commit exhausted. If there is an uncontested battle then yes, you still win the battle and you may choose to trigger the battle ability of the planet. Zarathur's ability adds +1 to the damage that gets assigned to units during the first part of the damage process, so in the case of Warpstorming or using AoE at the same planet as Z, yes, you'd assign 3 damage instead of 2 or 4 damage instead of 3 to your opponents units. However, it wouldn't add +1 to the assigned damage if you attacked with something with a 0 attack value, because the attacking unit wouldn't deal damage at all and so would completely skip over the damage step.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I can't find anything in the rules, but is there a limit to the number of attachments I can have on a unit? I had a stupid mulligan hand where my only unit was a Flash Gitz, but I also drew 2 Rune-Encrusted Armors and Cybork Body, so I loaded them all on that one Flash Gitz. If I did the math correctly, he had 18 hit points and 6 ATK. I drew a Rokkit Launcher at some point later, but whatever. That guy solo'ed like two first planets by himself.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

In LOTR, I've managged beat the Black Riders box for the first time, and with themtic-ish decks and in campaign mode to boot. I have previously finished the first two scenarios with the suggested deck, but hace had trouble trying to run two-handed.
I went with a Sam/Merry/Pippin and an Aragorn/Gimli/Legolas set of decks. With the first deck relying heavily on having spare willpower to throw around for hide tests, it was a rough start. It took maybe 2 or 3 tries to get it - with one of the failed attempts not even getting past th first quest card despite killing all the nazgul easily enough. But I perservered and got through it, eventually, with a bit of thanks to lucky draws no doubt.
I took "The Ring draws them" and the elf boon card (oh god I fell bad for forgetting his name).
The rest was actually fairly easy considering now Tactics had more kills to make. I got through to Rivendell one-shotting the next two scenarios. A buffed up Gimli and a Legolas/Merry combo was good for both kills and bonus quest tokens. Sam became a tireless ranger and Aragorn a noble hero. And in going from Weathertop to Rivendell I only picked up one burden card, and didn't explore the Bruinen opting to kill all the nazgul myself.
All in all it's looking good for my decks and I am ready to get the Road Darkens and continue my journey. Then go back and try with different heroes.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

GrandpaPants posted:

I can't find anything in the rules, but is there a limit to the number of attachments I can have on a unit? I had a stupid mulligan hand where my only unit was a Flash Gitz, but I also drew 2 Rune-Encrusted Armors and Cybork Body, so I loaded them all on that one Flash Gitz. If I did the math correctly, he had 18 hit points and 6 ATK. I drew a Rokkit Launcher at some point later, but whatever. That guy solo'ed like two first planets by himself.

Not that I'm aware of, though normally this is very risky thanks to cards like Fury of Sicarius, Archon's Terror, etc.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Amoeba102 posted:

In LOTR, I've managged beat the Black Riders box for the first time, and with themtic-ish decks and in campaign mode to boot. I have previously finished the first two scenarios with the suggested deck, but hace had trouble trying to run two-handed.
I went with a Sam/Merry/Pippin and an Aragorn/Gimli/Legolas set of decks. With the first deck relying heavily on having spare willpower to throw around for hide tests, it was a rough start. It took maybe 2 or 3 tries to get it - with one of the failed attempts not even getting past th first quest card despite killing all the nazgul easily enough. But I perservered and got through it, eventually, with a bit of thanks to lucky draws no doubt.
I took "The Ring draws them" and the elf boon card (oh god I fell bad for forgetting his name).
The rest was actually fairly easy considering now Tactics had more kills to make. I got through to Rivendell one-shotting the next two scenarios. A buffed up Gimli and a Legolas/Merry combo was good for both kills and bonus quest tokens. Sam became a tireless ranger and Aragorn a noble hero. And in going from Weathertop to Rivendell I only picked up one burden card, and didn't explore the Bruinen opting to kill all the nazgul myself.
All in all it's looking good for my decks and I am ready to get the Road Darkens and continue my journey. Then go back and try with different heroes.

Do you mind posting your Aragorn/Gimli/Legolas deck? I've been thinking of making one myself but I can't even decide which Aragorn to use let alone what else to put in the deck.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
I love playing with Gandalf. I've been fiddling with different builds with him, and my latest is a Gandalf/Outlands deck:

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com The Lord of the Rings Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (50)

Hero: (3)
1x Gandalf (The Road Darkens)
1x Hirluin the Fair (The Steward's Fear)
1x Glorfindel (Foundations of Stone)

Ally: (30)
3x Anfalas Herdsman (The Steward's Fear)
3x Ethir Swordsman (The Steward's Fear)
2x Forlong (The Drúadan Forest)
3x Hunter of Lamedon (Heirs of Numenor)
3x Knights of the Swan (The Steward's Fear)
3x Warrior of Lossarnach (The Steward's Fear)
2x Denethor (Encounter at Amon Dîn)
2x Faramir (Core Set)
2x Galadriel (The Road Darkens)
3x Snowbourn Scout (Core Set)
1x Elrond (The Road Darkens)
3x Errand-rider (Heirs of Numenor)

Attachment: (10)
1x Sword of Morthond (Assault on Osgiliath)
1x Celebrian's Stone (Core Set)
2x Gandalf Staff (The Road Darkens)
2x Steward of Gondor (Core Set)
2x Wizard Pipe (The Road Darkens)
1x Light of Valinor (Foundations of Stone)
1x Asfaloth (Foundations of Stone)

Event: (10)
3x A Very Good Tale (Over Hill and Under Hill)
2x Men of the West (Assault on Osgiliath)
2x Sneak Attack (Core Set)
3x A Test of Will (Core Set)

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

Do you mind posting your Aragorn/Gimli/Legolas deck? I've been thinking of making one myself but I can't even decide which Aragorn to use let alone what else to put in the deck.

I used the leadership Aragorn, and I only worked with cards from the.core, hunt for.gollum, dead marshes, Over hill and.Underill, On the doorstep and the black riders. The deck mostly focused on handling the fighting side while the hobbits were more for questing.

Cards numbers for some are approximate because I don't have the deck on hand, and I forget how many copies come in the core for some cards. These were made specifically for the first encounter, which has very few enemies and you're supposed to focus on willpower for hiding. I went for went for mainly direct damage which is good against high defense enemies, and some other defensive stuff in case I failed a hide test with a black rider around. Faramir and Celebrian stone were to help with willpower. It's tough to go extremely thematic because otherwise you'd have no ally cards - or a second deck to play two-handed either. I may one day make a truly thematic deck for it and see how I go, in a similar fashion to how I did the Hobbit saga. But then again, in the Hobbit you could get all 15 companions out using two decks.

The decks are a little fat, though.

Total Cards: (61)

1x Aragorn (Core Set)
1x Gimli (Core Set)
1x Legolas (Core Set)

Ally: (19)
2x Faramir (Core Set)
2x Gondorian Spearman (Core Set)
2x Guard of the Citadel (Core Set)
2x Silverlode Archer (Core Set)
2x Snowbourn Scout (Core Set)
3x Vassal of the Windlord (The Dead Marshes)
3x Winged Guardian (The Hunt for Gollum)
2x Gandalf (Core Set)
1x Gandalf (Over Hill and Under Hill)

Attachment: (19)
1x Black Arrow (On the Doorstep)
2x Blade of Gondolin (Core Set)
1x Celebrian's Stone (Core Set)
2x Citadel Plate (Core Set)
2x Dwarven Axe (Core Set)
2x Great Yew Bow (On the Doorstep)
1x Horn of Gondor (Core Set)
2x Steward of Gondor (Core Set)
3x Song of Kings (The Hunt for Gollum)
3x Song of Battle (The Dead Marshes)

Event: (23)
2x Blade Mastery (Core Set)
2x Common Cause (Core Set)
2x Ever Vigilant (Core Set)
2x Feint (Core Set)
2x For Gondor! (Core Set)
3x Goblin-cleaver (Over Hill and Under Hill)
1x Grim Resolve (Core Set)
1x Quick Strike (Core Set)
2x Rain of Arrows (Core Set)
1x Swift Strike (Core Set)
3x The Eagles Are Coming! (The Hunt for Gollum)
2x Valiant Sacrifice (Core Set)

There are some really good cards from leadership and tactics which aren't here because they went into the hobbit deck. with an approximation here again:

Total Cards: (57)

1x Merry (The Black Riders)
1x Pippin (The Black Riders)
1x Sam Gamgee (The Black Riders)

Ally: (14)
3x Barliman Butterbur (The Black Riders)
3x Bill the Pony (The Black Riders)
3x Farmer Maggot (The Black Riders)
2x Gandalf (Over Hill and Under Hill)
1x Gandalf (Core Set)
2x Miner of the Iron Hills (Core Set)

Attachment: (22)
1x Black Arrow (On the Doorstep)
3x Cram (Over Hill and Under Hill)
3x Dagger of Westernesse (The Black Riders)
2x Dunedain Cache (The Dead Marshes)
3x Dunedain Mark (The Hunt for Gollum)
3x Fast Hitch (The Dead Marshes)
3x Hobbit Cloak (The Black Riders)
2x Protector of Lorien (Core Set)
2x Self Preservation (Core Set)

Event: (21)
3x Campfire Tales (The Hunt for Gollum)
3x Halfling Determination (The Black Riders)
3x Lore of Imladris (Core Set)
2x Lorien's Wealth (Core Set)
2x Radagast's Cunning (Core Set)
2x Secret Paths (Core Set)
3x Take No Notice (The Black Riders)
3x Frodo's Intuition (The Black Riders)

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 20, 2014

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
I don't quite understand how actions on units work. Can I use, say, Captain Markis' action during any action window as described in the huge flow-chart? Does that exhaust him? If he is exhausted, can he use that?

Also, can I use Foresight with Eldorath Starbane to tap two guys in a single turn? Can I chain Foresight twice to move him twice and get three exhausts?

I've been having quite some fun with this game and I think I'll like it more with a few expansions since Tau and Dark Eldar and even Orks only seem so-so so far, and I really want to play Tyranids because everyone knows they're the best. I made an IG deck and an Eldar deck along with the two decks (Chaos and SM) that GrandpaPants recommended so I have four decks to play with. The only problem is some of the bestest cards can only go to one deck so I have four okay decks instead of, say, 2 great ones.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

These are all based on my non-definitive interpretation of the rules.

EvilChameleon posted:

I don't quite understand how actions on units work. Can I use, say, Captain Markis' action during any action window as described in the huge flow-chart? Does that exhaust him? If he is exhausted, can he use that?

It is used in the action window of any phase, with Markis itself stating that it can only be used once/phase. That does mean you can use it once in the Deploy Phase and once in the Battle Phase for maximum :commissar:. Neither will exhaust him and he can still use it while exhausted.

quote:

Also, can I use Foresight with Eldorath Starbane to tap two guys in a single turn? Can I chain Foresight twice to move him twice and get three exhausts?

Yes and yes.

quote:

I've been having quite some fun with this game and I think I'll like it more with a few expansions since Tau and Dark Eldar and even Orks only seem so-so so far, and I really want to play Tyranids because everyone knows they're the best. I made an IG deck and an Eldar deck along with the two decks (Chaos and SM) that GrandpaPants recommended so I have four decks to play with. The only problem is some of the bestest cards can only go to one deck so I have four okay decks instead of, say, 2 great ones.

I'd really like to point out I didn't "recommend" the decks so much as made them in literally 5 minutes :v:. I'm glad that they worked out well for you, though! I think you can probably make 3 decks pretty safely without any overlap. Orks/IG (or vice versa) would seem weak as hell though, since I really do thing IG kinda suck in the core set, but I'm sure someone will convince me otherwise.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

GrandpaPants posted:

I'd really like to point out I didn't "recommend" the decks so much as made them in literally 5 minutes :v:. I'm glad that they worked out well for you, though! I think you can probably make 3 decks pretty safely without any overlap. Orks/IG (or vice versa) would seem weak as hell though, since I really do thing IG kinda suck in the core set, but I'm sure someone will convince me otherwise.

Well, recommend, make them in 5 minutes, whatever. Your fault! Anyways, this is the IG + Orks deck I'm rolling with and I've been doing pretty well. Caveats: I am mostly playing against complete newbies, and I do have two core sets so that might even things out a bit.

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Warhammer 40,000: Conquest Deckbuilder

Total Cards: (50)

Warlord:
1x Colonel Straken (Core Set)

Army Unit: (29)
4x Straken’s Command Squad (Core Set)
2x Bad Dok (Core Set)
2x Elysian Assault Team (Core Set)
2x Captain Markis (Core Set)
2x Assault Valkyrie (Core Set)
3x Ratling Deadeye (Core Set)
2x Leman Russ Battle Tank (Core Set)
2x Stalwart Ogryn (Core Set)
2x Sanctioned Psyker (Core Set)
1x Void Pirate (Core Set)
2x Shoota Mob (Core Set)
2x Cadian Mortar Squad (Core Set)
3x Goff Boyz (Core Set)

Attachment: (8)
1x Straken’s Cunning (Core Set)
3x Promotion (Core Set)
2x Bodyguard (Core Set)
2x Rokkit Launcha (Core Set)

Event: (6)
2x Glorious Intervention (Core Set)
2x Preemptive Barrage (Core Set)
2x Suppressive Fire (Core Set)

Support: (7)
1x Omega Zero Command (Core Set)
2x Imperial Bunker (Core Set)
2x Catachan Outpost (Core Set)
2x Rockcrete Bunker (Core Set)

Edit: This deck builder is awesome.

EvilChameleon fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 22, 2014

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I got the LotR core set the other day from a buddy for $15 and have been loving it ever since. Even better since I can play it solo - my BG group only meets up once a week, and even then it's not always.

I love the LCG format, but it looks like LotR is the only one that can be played solo? Is that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That is correct.