Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I like the metal thread as it is. My tastes are mostly rooted in stuff that falls under the doom/black metal/hardcore threads, but I know where to look if I want music like that, whereas I pick up random recommendations from this thread. Like, I tend to enjoy about 1 brutal death metal/slammish album a year, and I never would've caught on to Disentomb if there hadn't been a few posts about them in this thread. Yeah, a lot of stuff I don't care about gets talked about in here, but it's easy to sift through that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
That (Vultures Descend from Disentomb's new record) is about the first brutal death song I've actually enjoyed. I'm still not convinced that there is any point at all to the vocals, but the instrumentation is fun.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Kumbamontu posted:

That (Vultures Descend from Disentomb's new record) is about the first brutal death song I've actually enjoyed. I'm still not convinced that there is any point at all to the vocals, but the instrumentation is fun.

I dunno. I like to think of the vocals in this sort of music as an extra layer of percussion. A well timed "URGH!" can make the following riff change or breakdown or whatever so much more enjoyable. That might just be me though.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

The new At the Gates album is making me caremad. I should've known better.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Caremad?

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
He wants it to be good, but like getting kicked in the groin repeatedly, it just hurts.

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
I seem to remember Keldian's Outbound getting a lot of love in this thread; what are some other modern power metal bands with a similar style (space/sci-fi lyrics preferred, but not essential)? I especially like the layered/harmonized choruses.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Duncan Doenitz posted:

I seem to remember Keldian's Outbound getting a lot of love in this thread; what are some other modern power metal bands with a similar style (space/sci-fi lyrics preferred, but not essential)? I especially like the layered/harmonized choruses.

Voyager is the only band I can think of that sounds really close to Keldian. I can't think of much other power metal with AOR/pop influences as overt as Keldian, though.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Fenrir posted:

Yeah, that.

Also, it's finally here, been waiting a few months now for this:

So hyyyype.

Skeletonwitch canceled :(

Sabaton and Amon Amarth put on a good show but :sigh:

I took me a while to even get into it after the main reason I went to the show wasn't there.

Oh well. Still a fun night. Got drunk, got banged up in the pit, got cool t-shirts, good times.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Fenrir posted:

I took me a while to even get into it after the main reason I went to the show wasn't there.

Oh well. Still a fun night. Got drunk, got banged up in the pit, got cool t-shirts, good times.

Did they cancel their participation for the entire tour, or just that night?

Seeing the show tonight in NY, pumped as hell.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

sniper4625 posted:

Did they cancel their participation for the entire tour, or just that night?

Seeing the show tonight in NY, pumped as hell.

As far as I know it was just for a couple shows, but I couldn't say which ones.

Man, I'm feeling rough the morning after. I think I'm just getting a little too old to hack it in a mosh pit with the kids. My legs and my back are killing me.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 18, 2014

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Fenrir posted:

I saw Skeletonwitch a couple of years ago in Baltimore and it was easily one of the best live shows I've been to. I don't even care for them that much recorded, but after seeing them perform, it really changed my perspective on them. Skeletonwitch canceling sounds like a major bummer.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The place where Amon is playing here is seats only :(

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Possibly Chicken posted:

The place where Amon is playing here is seats only :(

What the gently caress kind of metal band books a show at a venue like that?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Probably ones who like money and would like to earn more from people willing to see them regardless.

You know, fuckin' sellouts.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Did Skeletonwitch cancel to see King Diamond? :3: Their drummer was posting pics of it all day yesterday.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Fucknag posted:

Probably ones who like money and would like to earn more from people willing to see them regardless.

I'm fairly certain the band doesn't book their own venues or even the tour dates.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Fucknag posted:

I just feel like a huge amount of metal fans would never go to a venue like that for a metal show. I also can't think of any seating-only venues small enough to book a death metal band, at least in my area.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

So I saw Revenge last night. Do yourself a favor and don't miss them on their tour with Mayhem coming up. Perhaps the best live show I've ever seen.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Show owned.

Replacement band (Valenfyre?) was pretty forgettable, but Sabaton rocked it as usual. The difference in crowd enthusiasm was palpable.

Amon Amarth brought a Viking longboat (or at least the front half of one), which was pretty neat.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
So I fell in love with the Myrkur debut, but I'm getting tired of listening to 7 tracks on repeat. Any other bands that go for a similar vibe?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Henchman of Santa posted:

At the last Amon Amarth show my buddy went to, the whole pit sat down and started rowing during one song and Johan thought it was hilarious. Amon Amarth shows really are something special.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

kirkjames posted:

So I saw Revenge last night. Do yourself a favor and don't miss them on their tour with Mayhem coming up. Perhaps the best live show I've ever seen.

Devastating band. Better live than on record. Keen to see them again. Hope they find a reason to come to the UK again soon.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

While it may be nothing entirely original and a drunken bold statement, but the new Horrendous album may very well be the best death album I've ever heard. Yes, I said it.

While I find that statement to be incredibly sad if true, this is a really loving good album. Monarch is a ridiculously good track.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly8D5H6yYEQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl1iciar4rk

more portland metal

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

This doesn't really belong in here maybe but I saw Jim Breuer last night. Couldn't believe more then half of his show was him doing jokes and stories that are on youtube for years already.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
More new Bloodshot Dawn: http://bloodshotdawn.bandcamp.com/track/the-image-faded

This single track has guest solos from Teemu Mäntysaari, Per Nilsson, Andy James and Chris Amott. Which is just ridiculously awesome.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Klaaz posted:

This doesn't really belong in here maybe but I saw Jim Breuer last night. Couldn't believe more then half of his show was him doing jokes and stories that are on youtube for years already.

A bunch of comics do the same act with little to no variation for years. Jeff Dunham's had essentially the same set since the 80s.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Slayer did, back in '88, and the fans responded by destroying the seats. Whoops.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The 2015 Decibel Magazine Tour was announced today. It consists of At the Gates (alright), Converge (awesome) and Vallenfyre (Apparently a Paradise Lost/My Dying Bride/At the Gates supergroup?). There's also one more band to be announced.

Not as good as this year but I'd probably go.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Misogynist posted:

Slayer did, back in '88, and the fans responded by destroying the seats. Whoops.

I would've expected nothing less from 80s metalheads.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So, you guys heard the latest single from Jess and the Ancient Ones yet? Seems they're sticking with the surf rock sound they had on Astral Sabbat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXfnzVUNbVo

Not my favourite style, but the song is pretty good so I can't really argue against it either.
Still, I hope they'll also keep making those amazing long songs like Sulfur Giants and More than Living, because god drat those songs rule so much.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

There are people in this thread who don't know about Vallenfyre and that makes me sad.

http://youtu.be/4lJfwDP8zKk

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Hulk Krogan posted:

There are people in this thread who don't know about Vallenfyre and that makes me sad.

I didn't know about Vallenfyre until the Amon Amarth show in NY, and I've already forgotten most of what they sounded like.

Also they didn't have a viking ship.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I thought they sounded pretty awesome at that show, especially considering they were using Sabaton's gear and those two bands sound absolutely nothing alike. They were admittedly a weird opener for that lineup though. I could see there not being a lot of overlap between people who like Vallenfyre and people who like Sabaton or Amon Amarth.

Different strokes :shrug:

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 21, 2014

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
It sounds like Skeletonwitch with be performing without Chance for the remainder of the dates. This was posted to their Facebook page just a few hours ago...

"Lately there have been a lot of rumors, speculation, and assumptions,
regarding Skeletonwitch. We want to set the record straight.

Unfortunately, Chance is unable to finish out the tour as he has some
serious personal matters to attend to. We ask you to respect his and
our privacy regarding these matters.

This obviously left us with a very difficult decision to make and
we've decided to finish out the tour as a 4-piece.

We made the assumption that Skeletonwitch fans attending the shows
would rather see 4 of us ripping through our songs, than a piece of
paper on the door announcing our cancellation. If the first 2 shows
were any indication, we assumed correctly.

You have our sincerest apologies for not being able to bring you the
full show, and for canceling the stop in Albany.

We thank everyone for their understanding and their support now and in
the future.

Please come out to the remaining shows for riffs, beers, and hi-fives
with us. At the risk of sounding too sentimental, music is equally
important, if not more so, during rough times as well as the good.

Skeletonwitch is not going anywhere. See you soon."

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Hulk Krogan posted:

Seriously they're pretty good.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I didn't know about Vallenfyre but that song wasn't terribly interesting. I would much rather listen to something like Agatus if I was in that mood.

Completely unrelated, this might just be my favourite Countess song after all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuZdDp9kCQI

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

MrBling posted:

I would much rather listen to something like Agatus if I was in that mood.

Is there more than one band called Agatus? I looked them up hoping to find another crusty death-doom band and instead got some keyboardy black metal. Which is also cool, and I dug the song I found, but they don't really sound similar at all.

That's a legitimate question - I'm not trying to be a dick. I was just expecting something in the same vein.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Hulk Krogan posted:

Is there more than one band called Agatus? I looked them up hoping to find another crusty death-doom band and instead got some keyboardy black metal. Which is also cool, and I dug the song I found, but they don't really sound similar at all.

That's a legitimate question - I'm not trying to be a dick. I was just expecting something in the same vein.

nah, its just these guys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AonUgGoPI9U

some greek guys jamming out. I don't know why you would expect crusty anything since there's nothing real crusty about Vallenfyre.