Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Chairman Capone posted:

Didn't one of the 8th Doctor books or comics do this, which was its explanation for the Peter Cushing Doctor or something like that? Or maybe my memory is just completely making this up.

Actually Moffat had the idea for the 50th, that in the Black Archive they would have the Peter Cushing movie posters up, because in the Doctor Who universe those films exist as a fictional retelling of real events.

I was there when he said this.

So we know he's had similar ideas before, which means it's only a small skip to having the season mystery be built around a massive Doctor Who fan who manages to enter the reality of the 'show' and side with the Cybermen in an attempt to meet her boyfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

'Little Miss Moffat'

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

"Doctor Who? Doctor Who?! DOCTOR WHO?!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PriorMarcus posted:

"Doctor Who? Doctor Who?! DOCTOR WHO?!"

"DOCTOR WHO?! ...will be on at the slightly earlier time of 8:25 next Saturday. Have you never wondered why so many of your adventures can get resolved in less than an hour, Doctor?"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Edit: dbl post

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Wasn't William Hartnell a character in an audio or book at one point?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Not only would that reveal by awful, but the general fandom would love it and embrace it and it would become even more popular than River and at that point I'd have to find the tallest bridge around and jump.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Star Trek did it in 1998 in Far Beyond the Stars.
That was one of the best, if not the best, Star Trek episode though

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not only would that reveal by awful, but the general fandom would love it and embrace it and it would become even more popular than River and at that point I'd have to find the tallest bridge around and jump.

The way you phrased that somehow planted a seed in my mind that next season's Moffat Horror is going to be an episode titled "Jump" about monsters that cause fear of heights.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Harlock posted:

That was one of the best, if not the best, Star Trek episode though

I know. I am just saying see how its done before saying this twist is godawful.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I'm more inclined to believe that it's just incompetence and it's not supposed to be there.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jsor posted:

The way you phrased that somehow planted a seed in my mind that next season's Moffat Horror is going to be an episode titled "Jump" about monsters that cause fear of heights.

I guess I must have seen those monsters, because I've had that problem since I was like six.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

I'm more inclined to believe that it's just incompetence and it's not supposed to be there.

It's a parked bus in a forest. It's definitely meant to be there.

Let's not forget the jacket thing from Time of Angels. Two camps, one arguing the jacket was a production error and the other that it was deliberate.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The_Doctor posted:

Let's not forget the jacket thing from Time of Angels.

I think to this day, the jacket thing is my favorite thing to ever happen in the revival.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
People were also arguing that the time on Amy's alarm clock being set to AM, not PM was significant, and that came to nothing. At the end of the day any continuity error can in theory be a critical plot point.

Which is why I want the Doctor to battle a villainous race of sentient continuity errors.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The_Doctor posted:

Let's not forget the jacket thing from Time of Angels. Two camps, one arguing the jacket was a production error and the other that it was deliberate.

Reminder that the context for the jacket thing was the "Rory is a nurse from the past" thing due to a production error on his name badge, and the Garth Merenghi style clock flipping over multiple numbers for no reason production error.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Jsor posted:

The episode is called "Jump," and it is just a 3-second, out-of-context clip of the Doctor leaping over a shark.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

DirtyRobot posted:

The episode is called "Jump," and it is just a 3-second, out-of-context clip of the Doctor leaping over a shark.

It's already been leaked!

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
An... interesting choice for doctor.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DocBeard posting some stealth (possible) spoilers in the main thread.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
DocBeard posting some random speculation that a couple of people have as their pet theory based on a recent set photo, SOUND THE SPOILERS ALARM

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

DocBeard posting some random speculation that a couple of people have as their pet theory based on a recent set photo, SOUND THE SPOILERS ALARM

I don't care dude. I always have a giggle when people do that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Every other sci-fi show has done it. "Eerie Indiana" did it over 20 years ago. "Supernatural" did it. I'm kind of surprised it's taken Who 51 years to do it. If that is what's going on.

I thought Who did it in "Remembrance of the Daleks", or is that not the same thing?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

The_Doctor posted:

but this is way more likely to be a little easter egg/joke from the SFX crew

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Riptor posted:

but this is way more likely to be a little easter egg/joke from the SFX crew

actually having the Doctor's face on a poster on a bus is a bit more obvious than your usual SFX joke

especially on HDTVs, where you can MAKE OUT THE TEXT and, presumably, so can the characters

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

actually having the Doctor's face on a poster on a bus is a bit more obvious than your usual SFX joke

especially on HDTVs, where you can MAKE OUT THE TEXT and, presumably, so can the characters

People said literally the same thing about Rory's badge. Like, word for word

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We'll see what comes of it.

Again, it's been done well before-but if they go the wrong way with it, especially in regards to Missy, it could be just kind of really awful.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I can't read what that is...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mooseontheloose posted:

I can't read what that is...

Yeah, I can't either.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Fungah! posted:

That was before my SA Posting Career. And the print on a badge is a bit small-time compared to a full-wrap ad on a bus. Might JUST be a joke, but WHO KNOWS?

WHO knows? Hmm?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The text beside the Doctor/Clara pic is actually for 'The Maze Runner', an advertising strapline - "It's a-maze-ing!". So they covered an advert for a movie, which is fair enough. But they covered it with a 4th wall breaking picture of the Doctor, Clara and the TARDIS. :confused:

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Fungah! posted:

What WAS the thing with the badge? I've heard it brought up but I don't think I've ever heard what it was supposed to be.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

The Senator Giroux posted:

What WAS the thing with the badge? I've heard it brought up but I don't think I've ever heard what it was supposed to be.

Rory's badge has November 20, 1990 listed as its date of issue. A lot of people made a lot of this, especially since Moffat had teased at one point that Amy would actually be from the mid-nineties. This turned out to be one of his coy little half-lies, in reference to the fact that the Doctor first meets Amy in 1996. When she's the wee Amelia Pond.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
A far more likely explanation is that the bus was rented, placed in the shot, they didn't notice the advert on the side until afterwards, and didn't want to waste money with a reshoot. So now it's an easter egg.

You turbonerds.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A far more likely explanation is that the bus was rented, placed in the shot, they didn't notice the advert on the side until afterwards, and didn't want to waste money with a reshoot. So now it's an easter egg.

You turbonerds.

Or the world loving with them, by placing them on the side of the bus.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You turbonerds.

Seriously? You think the set dressers, production team, director, etc. wouldn't immediately notice the giant ad with their lead actors' faces on it? Do you think they hired blind set dressers, or what? Or really inattentive set dressers who also have face blindness?

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 23, 2014

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

The_Doctor posted:

But they covered it with a 4th wall breaking picture of the Doctor, Clara and the TARDIS. :confused:

The art department will have thousands of high resolution images that they can use in a pinch to fit the context of the shot that won't require licensing and can be quickly approved?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Just watched Flatline, it was actually kinda good. First Doctor Who episode I've enjoyed in a long while.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Like some, I misheard him calling them "The Boneless" and instead I heard "The Bumrush" before blowing them all away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

DoctorWhat posted:

did you even look at the picture

its obscured by trees and stuff and not the focal point of the scene

• Locked thread