Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Buy EL wire for less than a buck a foot and the power inverter, hook it all up. poo poo, they sell ready-made kits for like $20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

SquadronROE posted:

How would you go about doing that?

http://www.adafruit.com/product/320

$20 nets you pretty much everything you need except for some adhesive, but I'd imagine that you could net some gorilla glue for like $5 that would get it done for you, at maximum. So yeah, for like half the price.

Edit: FUUUUUUUCCCCKKK

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Instead of gorilla glue, use a tube of silicone from home depot. You can remove it no problem, unlike gorilla glue.

Maybe I can do something for halloween with this...

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I hate your buddy and everyone like him. I meet people like this on a regular basis. loving idiots. Most of them with no riding experience at all. All they know is they think naked bikes are cooler. They want to remove fairings from anything and everything, including bikes such as BMW RTs and Goldwings on which the fairing is an integral part of the bike, and which makes the bike one of the better touring rigs ever made. They're like the asswipes who hard weld the isolastic frames on Nortons because they think hardtail choppers are sikk.

K bikes do not have many redeeming qualities, but the fairing on the LT was one of them. That's a reasonably fast bike which is heavy and is no fun at all at low speed or in a congested area. So now your buddy has a bike that's just boring and ugly and uncomfortable. What kind of music does he listen to? Is it something vapid empty and horrible? Does he drive a Cobalt or an Aztek?

Hahahah, he drives an old Ford E150 work van (which was preceded by a series of old Ford Rangers, S10s, and Mazda B2000s), his previous two bikes were a Katana and a GS1100C, and he mostly listens to 80's metal. He's 45, has two grown daughters, and he also quite literally makes a living buying old bikes (many of which were hipsterized abominations), cleaning them up, and flipping them (as in, that is his sole source of income for the past several years)

So feel free to rage more.

P.S. I have a goldwing with no fairings in my garage right now, how angry does that make you?

Geirskogul posted:

And now, my friends, I have a new love: the "flying brick" engine of a K100. God help me.

Eh, I really wouldn't compare a fairly reliable older BMW to a janky, falling apart Royal Enfield. As I noted earlier, the one my buddy picked up has 105k on it and still runs great.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 19, 2014

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

M42 posted:

Instead of gorilla glue, use a tube of silicone from home depot. You can remove it no problem, unlike gorilla glue.

Maybe I can do something for halloween with this...

Not a bad idea. I might spring for the $20 necessary for that. Might be super ultra cool.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

rizuhbull posted:

Really? I like my chin. I'd like to go modular instead of full face but I don't know if the comfort is worth the weakened chin area.

If you have a reason to get a modular just get one. Don't get lost in the sperg details of how it might be .01% worse than a full face helmet. If you get one from a reputable helmet maker you're probably going to be fine.

I've had my http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-neotec-borealis-helmet?gclid=CMj-48S6ucECFahr7AodU1EA_g for a decent bit now and it's a drat comfortable helmet. The sound is quiet enough that I don't have to wear ear plugs with it for commuting though it's probably a bit louder than a full face. The internal sun visor is nice as well.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

SquadronROE posted:

Not a bad idea. I might spring for the $20 necessary for that. Might be super ultra cool.

Just be aware that your local jurisdiction might have rules about what colour lights you can display and in which direction. Also be sure that whatever adhesive you use is compatible with the lacquer on your lid.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

SquadronROE posted:

How would you go about doing that?

Original kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1965630601/lightmode-electroluminescent-motorcycle-helmets

Bunch of links I spent literally five minutes finding right after that kickstarter launched:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lemon-Red-Yellow-Green-White-Blue-Purple-Pink-3M-Flexible-Neon-Light-EL-Wire-Rope-Tube/630675517.html
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/hlc/hlc112.htm
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Brand-new-2x-Flat-Mounts-2x-Curved-Mounts-3M-Adhesive-Pads-For-Go-Pro-gopro-accessories/1521092239.html

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

HotCanadianChick posted:

K100LT that he's stripping down into a K100 naked.

Has 105k miles on it and still runs great. Mainly intrigued by the unique engine layout and the fact that it's an EFI bike from the early 80s.

I had an '85 K100RS and I can't really bitch about too much except parts cost. The oil pump and the water pump share a common shaft with a magic seal between them. That failed and I caught it pretty early by spotting drops under it when it was parked. Bad part was that all the original parts had been superseded by revised ones, so it was close to $450 just in parts to get it back together. SSA and shaft drive were pretty cool tho.

The "flying brick" design keeps the center of gravity absurdly low, and if you had a little faith you could do some amazing low-speed moves that I don't think I can do on either of the Hondas. I could easily U-turn the K100 on 2-lane black top, and practiced the figure-8 box drill for my MSF on it. I think the VFR would fall over, and haven't tried with the 'bird. I never had trouble with it in traffic, but I'm fairly tall and could get both feet down easily. The dry clutch is kinda weird, but it was my first serious bike so I didn't really know any different.

Revs top out about 7k, but that's fine since it has a lot of torque and the power band is basically from idle to redline. It's still better than the early Honda FI system (pre-Power Commander on the VFR) because rolling off the throttle doesn't feel like you just slammed on the brakes. It's just coasts down like you would want/expect. Overall, it was pretty nice for a bike pushing 20 years old when I had it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

mungtor posted:

The "flying brick" design keeps the center of gravity absurdly low,
I must disagree a lot with this. I'm not real familiar with VFRs -- maybe they're even worse -- but of bikes in general, K bikes have a ridiculously high CG. How they managed to do this with the bulk of the engine lying so low in the frame, I don't know. But try pushing around a K bike and then push around a boxer or even some Harleys. The K bike feels like a big Japanese four.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I must disagree a lot with this. I'm not real familiar with VFRs -- maybe they're even worse -- but of bikes in general, K bikes have a ridiculously high CG. How they managed to do this with the bulk of the engine lying so low in the frame, I don't know. But try pushing around a K bike and then push around a boxer or even some Harleys. The K bike feels like a big Japanese four.

I dunno. The VFR and 'bird just feel "tippier" to me. Maybe it's the snatchy throttle - or maybe rose-colored glasses. I'll admit to never having tried the MSF box drill since I passed my course. I'm not a cruiser guy at all, but I can see how a Shadow might feel more stable, but it's also like sitting in a recliner. Not something I really go for.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
While we're on light chat - does anyone have a good link to very tightly spaced, waterproof yellow LEDs that would run off of 12v? I'd want a strip about 10 inches long that could be bent slightly (about 20 degrees of bend). I'm trying to figure out some way of putting a cover on them or otherwise that doesn't look like a pile of butfour.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 19, 2014

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

While we're on light chat - does anyone have a good link to very tightly spaced, waterproof yellow LEDs that would run off of 12v? I'd want a strip about 10 inches long that could be bent slightly (about 20 degrees of bend). I'm trying to figure out some way of putting a cover on them or otherwise that doesn't look like a pile of butfour.

What's a butfour ;)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Assuming you're looking to use them as indicators you might run into the problem that LEDs are very, very directional and without a diffuser and/or reflector might be almost invisible at certain angles and blindingly bright at others.

That EL wire mentioned above might be able to do the job you have in mind, but the EL flat panels might be more to your taste if you can find them in a size and shape appropriate (you can use a USB inverter to downstep to the 5v they need, but you'd probably need to use relays to drive them if you want to use them as indicators)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Off topic: Do they really think anyone will "sign up" just to watch a product page and not just enter gibberish to get past their popup?

Helmet looks neat I guess, if you're into Tron.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

Something like this? http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips

Waterproof already, a million variants around the web, no idea about quality.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I'll assume that's something cool. But gently caress those guys:

There's no way to dismiss that.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

I'll assume that's something cool. But gently caress those guys:

There's no way to dismiss that.

Yeah gently caress that. I just noticed that on mobile browsers, it doesn't do that on desktops. Regardless I ordered the kit from AliExpress, so we'll see how it ends up being in a couple months after the airship arrives.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It pops up on desktop as well. I see poo poo like that all the time in my work.

:reject: "Hey it would be really cool if we could get the emails of all potential customers, so hey web monkey, make it so that people have to enter an email address to access our site!"
:v: "Uh, I could do but everyone will hate it and it will drive visitors away. Also, people will just enter fake addresses"
:reject: "Nonsense, I'm the boss here, do it or you're fired!"

*months pass*

:reject: "Sales are down, nobody visits our site any more and all the email addresses we harvest are bogus! Web monkey, what did you gently caress up?"
:suicide:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
There's a whole site dedicated to them (and I've contributed a few) http://tabcloseddidntread.com

The advertising gurus will tell you it "increases conversions up to 80%!" so gullible site owners will do it. They stupid and annoying and on more sites than ever now.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah advertisers finally figured out that everyone blocks pop-up windows nowadays, so instead of having two brain cells to rub together and realizing it's because everyone hates pop-ups they changed it to pop-up div layers that are much harder to block. Clearly the right course of action.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just put in fakeemail1242141242154214@yahoo.com and random numbers as the password if you want to get past that ad.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Assuming you're looking to use them as indicators you might run into the problem that LEDs are very, very directional and without a diffuser and/or reflector might be almost invisible at certain angles and blindingly bright at others.

That EL wire mentioned above might be able to do the job you have in mind, but the EL flat panels might be more to your taste if you can find them in a size and shape appropriate (you can use a USB inverter to downstep to the 5v they need, but you'd probably need to use relays to drive them if you want to use them as indicators)

The annoying thing is that a 10 inch strip of LEDs in a waterproof case from here:
http://www.customdynamics.com/truflex_flexible_led_lighting.htm
Is like 50 bucks for one and I dont really want to spend that much. Plus I'd like something a little flatter and lower profile., and figured "how hard can it be?"

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

So triple A's motorcycle coverage is only available as an add-on. I.e. you must have the basic membership too.

I don't suppose there's any competitors offering roadside assistance?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

rizuhbull posted:

So triple A's motorcycle coverage is only available as an add-on. I.e. you must have the basic membership too.

You can usually get it as an addition to your insurance.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah I actually had roadside and a few other perks thru state farm's motorcycle insurance and I didn't even realize it till they sent a letter detailing some other updates...read those policies carefully I guess?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

nsaP posted:

Yeah I actually had roadside and a few other perks thru state farm's motorcycle insurance and I didn't even realize it till they sent a letter detailing some other updates...read those policies carefully I guess?
Great. I'm actually probably gonna get insurance through state farm since I'm banking with them anyway.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

rizuhbull posted:

State Farm.
(e): beaten, always scroll down.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Wasn't state farm also the one that insures your gear, too?

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
I think so, I'll have to check my paperwork.

ProfessorYesNo
Dec 10, 2006
What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in what?
Does anybody have the name of the guy who made really cool front suspensions for choppers back in the '60s and '70s? I remember seeing a video or something about the guy- the setups were really cool, the forks were kind of offset from the hub of the front wheel, but his work was largely ignored because he was a black guy I think?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

rizuhbull posted:

Great. I'm actually probably gonna get insurance through state farm since I'm banking with them anyway.

State farm is literally the best. Also, for AAA, most times you can just call them, tell them your car is hosed, request a flatbed and tell the driver when he gets there over a nice cup of $20 bill.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My motorcycle keeps getting stuck in neutral when I'm at a stop, and I have to rock it forward and back until it gives and switches to first. Any ideas what's causing it and how to fix it?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

My motorcycle keeps getting stuck in neutral when I'm at a stop, and I have to rock it forward and back until it gives and switches to first. Any ideas what's causing it and how to fix it?

Loose clutch cable adjustment, tight chain adjustment, low on oil. Fix by tightening, loosening or filling as needed.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Ola posted:

Fix by tightening, loosening or filling as needed.

Good advice for many occasions.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ola posted:

Loose clutch cable adjustment, tight chain adjustment, low on oil. Fix by tightening, loosening or filling as needed.

Chain and oil are both good, clutch cable adjustment it is.

SomethingLiz
Jan 23, 2009
I just noticed a hose on my bike that's not connected to anything. Google suggests it's the carb overflow tube, and I'm supposed to route it over to the rear downtube on the frame. It's nowhere near long enough to make it to the frame though. Any idea where this thing goes? It's an 02 Sportster.

Here's the loose end:

And here's where it starts (the small tube on bottom)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SomethingLiz posted:

I just noticed a hose on my bike that's not connected to anything. Google suggests it's the carb overflow tube, and I'm supposed to route it over to the rear downtube on the frame. It's nowhere near long enough to make it to the frame though. Any idea where this thing goes? It's an 02 Sportster.

Here's the loose end:

And here's where it starts (the small tube on bottom)

It's supposed to go to nowhere, it vents out to atmosphere. The routing over the frame bit is just to keep it somewhere neat.

SomethingLiz
Jan 23, 2009

Ola posted:

It's supposed to go to nowhere, it vents out to atmosphere. The routing over the frame bit is just to keep it somewhere neat.

Ah, okay. So if I just tuck it in anywhere it'll be okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SomethingLiz posted:

Ah, okay. So if I just tuck it in anywhere it'll be okay?

Yes. Back towards the swingarm pivot is normal, ideally pointing to the ground.