Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Baby Babbeh posted:

What do you people who are cord cutters do for your internet, exactly?

In Canada I have Shaw Cable. $70 a month let me bump up to a higher tier Internet package than I had before. With the cable I had slightly worse Internet and cable I rarely used for $110 a month.

I decided I'd rather save the $40 and spend it on things that actually give me content I want like Netflix or if they start offering it unbundled HBO Go. I've been on the fence about the NFL streaming package as half the time cable didn't have the games I'd want and the sketchy Internet streams they post in SAS aren't always great quality.

It's less about cost savings to me and more cable does a lousy job of always having the content I actually want available. Something like WWE Network is primarily attractive to me for the enormous on demand back catalogue, but tying it to a cable provider not even available in my half of the country is a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Watching an old episode of Nitro and Scott Steiner has a loving mullet. My world has been turned upside down.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

Stall_19 posted:

Watching an old episode of Nitro and Scott Steiner has a loving mullet. My world has been turned upside down.

If you do the math, I think you'll find you've been turned right-side up again.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Stall_19 posted:

That's the Scott Steiner I grew up on and your Scott Steiner is very odd to me.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Baby Babbeh posted:

What do you people who are cord cutters do for your internet, exactly? Because where I live the only real choice in broadband is Comcast and their bundle deals are cheap enough that its almost more expensive for me to just have internet even though I don't watch TV more than a few times a month.

I get 50mbps service plus all local channels and PBS for $66/month. All from Comcast.

On the topic of the network, it needs some work of course, but the draw for me is I can put on Starcade '85 and enjoy the hell out of it. I know other can't enjoy it, so, the value isn't there.

If you don't like it, don't subscribe.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I still can't reconcile Big Poppa Pump with long and dark haired Scott Steiner.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

oldpainless posted:

I still can't reconcile Big Poppa Pump with long and dark haired Scott Steiner.

It's a Doink thing. After the Steiner Brothers broke up, Scott Steiner was replaced by a roidbeast impostor who made no sense.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

When I've looked at old Steiner Bros stuff more recently, I've realized that Scott Steiner in that era was way bigger than I remembered, so the transition seems way less dramatic than it used to. I mean, look at this guy:

He's definitely smaller than he would eventually become, but that physique is already unnatural.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I think he was a monster in high school too. Maybe not as big but super athletic and flexible.

This is scary too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-9WbYlu2dw

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the funny part is the old AWA guys had Rick Steiner picked to be the next big thing.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

coconono posted:

the funny part is the old AWA guys had Rick Steiner picked to be the next big thing.

that's the most AWA thing ever.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Diabolik900 posted:

When I've looked at old Steiner Bros stuff more recently, I've realized that Scott Steiner in that era was way bigger than I remembered, so the transition seems way less dramatic than it used to. I mean, look at this guy:

He's definitely smaller than he would eventually become, but that physique is already unnatural.

Yeah, I think he got noticeably bigger between the WWF stint and his return to WCW too.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

coconono posted:

As a kid I always liked Rick because he had way more of a character than Scott did. It's crazy how that flipped around.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

coconono posted:

Who could have imagined the "dog-faced gremlin" gimmick might doom a guy to the mid-card?

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

Before Scott could talk I would've picked Rick too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucc4FGfmWiQ

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Astro7x posted:

I am honestly surprised we didn't get any mention of Oklahoma, Cruiserweight Champion.

They probably didn't want to call attention to their own treatment of the Lightweight/Cruiserweight belts. Which is worse: Oklahoma as Cruiserweight champion or Hornswoggle?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

As a kid I liked Rick more too. Good nicknames beat out boring, non-cool/boring job nickname dudes 9 times out of 10.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

there's nothing boring about huge suplexes

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

oatgan posted:

there's nothing boring about huge suplexes

Huge suplexes are cool, but not as cool as Big Daddy Cool.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

What if Big Daddy Cool did a big suplex?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Rick would also inform people that if they wanted some, they should come get some.

Which is clearly a line that John Cena has appropriated in his reign of doom. (Ignoring that DDP also used it in WCW later on).

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Wrong thread.

So uh. What's Monday night wars covering this week.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Goldberg.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Can't wait to hear Nash talk about Goldberg wanting to punch the window with his fist instead of a bat again

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

You see the fans wanted a realistic character like Goldberg while the WWF was insulting the fans intelligence with cartoony gimmicks in the mid 90s

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Astro7x posted:

Can't wait to hear Nash talk about Goldberg wanting to punch the window with his fist instead of a bat again

In a main event he needed to go 20. You were lucky if he did 12 at a house show.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Its crazy how I could have sworn Shawn kicked Marty through the glass window but he didn't. I could picture it in my mind but it was a falsehood.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ayn rand hand job posted:

In a main event he needed to go 20. You were lucky if he did 12 at a house show.

The Goldberg matches actually hold up really well when watching the old Nitros because they are so short. The crowd would really get behind him, and its fun watching them explode when he hits his big moves.

Given that his gimmick was the winning streak, I wouldn't want to see the dude go 20 minutes. It's why I can't stand watching these epic long John Cena matches where you know he is just going to rapadoo in the end.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I really liked the DX thing they did on the network. They should do more of those and take questions from the audience.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The MNW episodes about WCW are so much better than the one's about the WWE because it's clear people are being allowed to be more honest in their comments. That said, I wonder what else they're going to cover? Next week is Jericho according to Wikipedia, and I'm guessing Undertaker will get his own episode. Other than Goldberg, the nWo and the cruiserweights, what else from WCW deserves an hour long episode? Sting? DDP?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Seams posted:

Other than Goldberg, the nWo and the cruiserweights, what else from WCW deserves an hour long episode? Sting? DDP?

Three Count.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
If I don't get an hour-long Disco Inferno doc I'm cancelling my subscription.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
A Vampiro documentary consisting of an hour of former WCW talent calling him a dick.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Catching up and watching the Goldberg one just now, it's really striking how every line Cena says about Goldberg could so very, very easily be applied to himself. Especially once they hit the part about repeating the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Can we get more of these on the Network, pretty please WWE?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eA1ZrmdmoA

PS - If anyone can Avatar size/format this, would be forever greatful.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

so I wanna get revved up for hell in a cell Sunday and I wanna know what some of psps favorite hell in a cell matches are!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MrDru posted:

so I wanna get revved up for hell in a cell Sunday and I wanna know what some of psps favorite hell in a cell matches are!

KOTR '98

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

MrDru posted:

Edge vs. Undertaker, Summerslam 08

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

MrDru posted:

Badd Blood '97
No Way Out 2000

There are no other HIAC matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

MrDru posted:

There's a HiaC episode of countdown on the network if you want a sampler.

Of the ones not mentioned HBK/Taker at Badd Blood '97 and HHH/Taker at WM28 are real good, however.