Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (August 15, 1927, and yes, we just skipped a couple of weeks; Crosby must've taken another vacation.)

Peanuts (October 23, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean launches himself into the void.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 23-24, 1925)

That accent over the O is kind of throwing me. Is he a Hungarian outlaw?

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

EasyEW posted:

That accent over the O is kind of throwing me. Is he a Hungarian outlaw?

I read it like "pin-yawn". Seemed Spanish to me.

Jane's World

Non Sequitur

Meh.

Heavenly Nostrils

Aww!

Kliban

:stare:

9 Chickweed Lane 10/20/2003

Whatever.

Zits

Good thing that's not all blood, I guess.

Kevin & Kell

Good job getting him expelled, Coney.

:v:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way now returns you to The Lives of the Cowboys. (November 20-21, 1925)

I thought Wash Funk's horse already fell through a bridge. Williams really hated that thing, didn't he?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

Good job getting him expelled, Coney.

Okay, so the teacher is at least saying that it's wrong to threaten to murder a child. That's honestly better than I would expect from Holbrook. Still worried about where it's going though. And wow it's hosed up to send a kid, or anyone, a picture of a dead person of their... Race, I guess is the closest thing? (Tangentially that arguably makes this a hate crime as well as generally hosed up.) Also also I only just realized that this means that, in the non-segregated stores, people get to see the carcasses and products made from the bodies of their fellows being sold and holy gently caress I already knew that K&K was terrible (I'm one of three people complaining about it most in this thread) but seeing how capitalist the society is about the murder and stuff just made it hit me all over again.

(Also it was probably Lin who sent that, since she's the one crushing on Wendell and all. But yeah.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 20, 2014

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, so the teacher is at least saying that it's wrong to threaten to murder a child.

I'm pretty sure it's only because he's a "prey" species, if he was a "predator" species there would be nothing wrong with it.

The K&K world is horrible.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

This is some deep poo poo right here. :350:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac Puts the clown to rest.

The Creeps has your nightmare fuel for today.

Poptropica Is going to be doing this penguin pirate thing for a bit.

Heathcliff is hanging out with Felix today.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Roland Jones posted:

(I'm one of three people complaining about it most in this thread) but seeing how capitalist the society is about the murder and stuff just made it hit me all over again.

And I'll just say that, once you think of it as a post-apocalyptic society of atomic cannibal mutants, it becomes so much more fun.

And makes more sense.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mehuyael posted:

Is Deanna the one who dies in the car crash? Makes these comics kind of morbid.
Wasn't she a redhead? Is this more colorist-not-giving-a-poo poo or am I remembering wrong?

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

The Creeps has your nightmare fuel for today.

See, first I thought, well there's your explanation - fat creep has "handy" sweatshirts (like feety-pajamas), but then I remembered that his fingers keep falling off, so that can't be true either! I love this comic.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Intelligent Life of Crime

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Wow. I mean... just wow. The strips I'm posting now seem completely sugar coated compared to this. That said, if you think about it, this would be a helluva Mary Worth storyline though. :v:

I need to go dig up more Classic K&K don't I. :smithicide:

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I read it like "pin-yawn". Seemed Spanish to me.
That would be if it was a ~ over the n.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Trent posted:

Wasn't she a redhead? Is this more colorist-not-giving-a-poo poo or am I remembering wrong?

You're remembering wrong. She's always been blonde. Michael's high school girlfriend Martha ("Marty") was a redhead.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ham Shears has a lot in common with Boss.

The Dinette Set gets into the spirit of the season.

Working Daze knows the essence of comedy is timing (yet still manages to screw it up).

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

James' parents were eaten by an escaped rhinoceros you insensitive bastard!

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, so the teacher is at least saying that it's wrong to threaten to murder a child. That's honestly better than I would expect from Holbrook. Still worried about where it's going though. And wow it's hosed up to send a kid, or anyone, a picture of a dead person of their... Race, I guess is the closest thing? (Tangentially that arguably makes this a hate crime as well as generally hosed up.) Also also I only just realized that this means that, in the non-segregated stores, people get to see the carcasses and products made from the bodies of their fellows being sold and holy gently caress I already knew that K&K was terrible (I'm one of three people complaining about it most in this thread) but seeing how capitalist the society is about the murder and stuff just made it hit me all over again.

(Also it was probably Lin who sent that, since she's the one crushing on Wendell and all. But yeah.)

Man, I don't know if I would put a loving warthog in the "prey" grouping. Suppose they wouldn't really be a "predator" but man they sure don't belong with no rabbits.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Johnny Aztec posted:

Man, I don't know if I would put a loving warthog in the "prey" grouping. Suppose they wouldn't really be a "predator" but man they sure don't belong with no rabbits.

And, apparently they're not really herbivores but omnivores. C'mon Holbrook, you should have a separate grouping for omnivores. I'm sure they'd call discrimination if they're constantly lumped in with the herbivores.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Silly Walker*! That's not Kit, that's Devil! He can't wear the rings!

*For the Ghost who Walks!

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

LvK posted:

(they don't even fit)

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Mehuyael posted:

Is Deanna the one who dies in the car crash? Makes these comics kind of morbid.

In real life, yeah. In the comic, she lives and Michael gets a talking-to about his bad behavior at the crash, and then Michael and Deanna get married and live happily ever after and he says that he can't imagine possibly being any happier than with his wife and the children she bore him, after real-life Michael came out of the closet.

Also, I'm liking Poptropica a lot more than I thought I would when it first started getting posted. It's not fantastic, but it's fun in a silly sort of way and some of the jokes have made me smile. Jorge's weird bug face with the lack of nose and the huge eyes sticking above his head gross me out, though. The other kid's the same way but at least his big hair sort of hides it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

LvK posted:

*For the Ghost who goes Walkies

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

In real life, yeah. In the comic, she lives and Michael gets a talking-to about his bad behavior at the crash, and then Michael and Deanna get married and live happily ever after and he says that he can't imagine possibly being any happier than with his wife and the children she bore him, after real-life Michael came out of the closet.

Also, I'm liking Poptropica a lot more than I thought I would when it first started getting posted. It's not fantastic, but it's fun in a silly sort of way and some of the jokes have made me smile. Jorge's weird bug face with the lack of nose and the huge eyes sticking above his head gross me out, though. The other kid's the same way but at least his big hair sort of hides it.

Man, I'm glad you are. I was certain that it was one of those strips that is neither good nor bad enough to be commented upon.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Paul Gilligan writes good gags, and we've all seen how good Kory Merritt's art can be in Lost Side of Suburbia.

A good creative team can easily overcome the inherent soullessness of a marketing tie-in. The lead writer of the G.I. Joe comics back in the day wrote introspective, personal stories based on the challenges he faced as a Japanese-American, the fact that they starred uzi-wielding cyborg ninjas was incidental. Although somebody really should have told Snake Eyes that he was Looking Ridiculous Comix.

Pooch Café

Congratulations, Poncho, you made her head look like one of your weird deformed clover paws.

Ballard Street

...by getting high on MDMA and nearly biting a hole through his own cheek.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician
Mandrake's dad is just the best. "SHUT UP AND THROW A ROCK AT MY HEAD!"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Say Nothing posted:

A plant growing in the coffee?
Must be fresh ground.
You should write Pearls Before Swine.

Speaking of which here is Sunday's PBS just because I found it funny. Reminded me of an Animaniacs Slappy Squirrel cartoon.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Johnny Walker posted:

You should write Pearls Before Swine.

Speaking of which here is Sunday's PBS just because I found it funny. Reminded me of an Animaniacs Slappy Squirrel cartoon.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Pastis can go way overboard on the Sunday Punnery sometimes but I really like this one. Abbott and Costello is a bit played out but this is, in my opinion, a great take on it. Especially the sting line.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones

The Lighter Side of...

Don Martin Dept. (MAD #29, September 1956)
This was Don Martin's first comic for MAD. At the time, "Alfred E. Neuman" was just some name that showed up in MAD a lot as a gag (like "Melvin" during Kurtzman's reign). The name wasn't used to refer to the mascot until later.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Classic Funky

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County unveils startling developments.

Calvin And Hobbes find inspiration in irritation.

Ripley's

reclusivemind
Dec 17, 2002
Man of little importance

quote:

Mary Worth

Looks like Mary is going to skip the waiting list and go straight for sabotaging someone's breaks.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Wanamingo posted:

No, but to be fair, I don't think anybody named Guy can feel shame.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

That last panel will forever be the dialogue for every beer commercial I see.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Bern, you had the perfect opportunity to say, "Terrifying," and you didn't take it. I'm pretty disappointed in you, to be honest.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Speaking of "terrifying," check the anatomy in the middle panel. Nice pelvis, Pete. Yikes.

Apartment 3-G

For the second storyline in a row, the blonde woman who looks exactly like Lu Ann is not Lu Ann. (And last time we saw Lu Ann, she did not look like Lu Ann.)

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G

For the second storyline in a row, the blonde woman who looks exactly like Lu Ann is not Lu Ann. (And last time we saw Lu Ann, she did not look like Lu Ann.)

This looks and sounds like a repeat from a couple of stories ago. Wasn't Evan one of the interchangeable manipulative bad-guy boyfriends? The name Skyler seems familiar too.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

TofuDiva posted:

This looks and sounds like a repeat from a couple of stories ago. Wasn't Evan one of the interchangeable manipulative bad-guy boyfriends? The name Skyler seems familiar too.

They are characters from the past. I'm pretty sure I was even posting this while their plot occurred. A3G is so homogenous, though, that I don't remember what happened. Josh kind of recapped it:

The Comics Curmudgeon posted:

Well, this is certainly the most shocking development in Apartment 3-G in some time: during Tommie’s multi-month absence, Margo hasn’t gotten bored and come up some new vaguely aspirational business plan, but has instead continued to be a publicist when the plot demands it! You might remember Skyler as the young starlet who Margo’s employee/sex slave/secret enemy Evan flirted with so that Margo would refuse to take her on as a client. Skyler used to be a brunette and then had black hair and now is a blonde, which is par for the course for actresses, I suppose. Less realistic is that she’s wearing a shapeless pink sweatshirt, or that she now looks more or less exactly like Lu Ann, or that Margo is a good enough publicist that anyone would try to hire her after she cruelly rejected them for no good reason.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (October 22, 1956)

There's a possibility that Albert's gluttony after chasing off the Khrushchev pig isn't supposed to be about Cold War American foreign policy, and it's just Albert being Albert. But y'know, if the boot fits, start kicking.

Peanuts: Year One (August 9-11, 1951)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 21, 2014

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

(from February 1. 1977)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G

Of course that's not Lu Ann, it's plain as day! Right now Lu Ann looks like a lumpy-faced man in a blonde wig, duh.

Anyways, some belated Monday Comix for you:

Intelligent Life

Oh phew, she's got a Superman t-shirt on, I thought this Intelligent Life was completely free of nerd poo poo for a second!

Big Nate

I wouldn't mind reading a paper on why the hell people are still so crazy for zombies. It's been played out for a while.

Francis

I'm liking Brother Leo's inclusion here, and I wish this strip was updated more than twice a week!

• Locked thread