Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crafty posted:

There's no joy in waiting though, just ask the people who have to wait for a 20 gig day one patch to download.

Soul Glo posted:

poo poo, dude, Halo ODST came on two discs.

e: I can't remember if you had to play the second disc or just install it though.

It was kind of weird, disc 1 was the single player campaign mode, and disc 2 was basically Halo 3 but only a specific map pack (mystic map pack, I think?) and you could instead just buy those maps as DLC for regular Halo 3. Halo: Anniversary did a similar thing with a map pack for Halo: Reach, so there are basically only three core multiplayer products (regular Halo 3, Halo Reach and Halo 4) and the other Halo games were just a repackaging of one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Crafty posted:

Did the xbox 360s success depend entirely on its first year, or are you exaggerating for dramatic effect?

lol yes, hugely. it ran unopposed for the first year and when the PS3 came out was cheaper and had better multiplatform performance. this is what gave them an early lead and dominance over most of the gen, unquestionably.

Crafty posted:

Insiderp is right up there with vgchartzzz for their accuracy of their 'sales figures'. Luckily we don't have to rely on them for reviews of both games, which tell a slightly different story that stux likes to ignore :(

If driveclub did sell well it would offer some explanation for the the most recent crippling of psn though.

no one but you cares about reviews since like 2002

Soul Glo posted:

It sucks that MS has had to add so much stuff in; it's obvious they had to rush release to meet the PS4, but the PS4 isn't some great illustration of a complete console at launch either.

2.0 is apparently coming out soon at which point the PS4 will finally get advanced features such as a YouTube app, customizable theme colors and MP3 playback. How long did the PS3 have those?

I'm no console warrior, I have and play both, but boy howdy is it lovely on both sides for lots of stuff.

Still fun games on each at least :unsmith:

god knows why google have dragged their feet on the ps4, they did the same last gen as well. i think the real point is that game and OS critical features were all in place since launch on the ps4 in stark contrast to the xbone.

psyman posted:

Now that's not true, the only difference was not literally just a sub fee. XBL was way superior to PSN back in the early days, especially when the 360 launched with the overlay Guide menu. The invite to game, matchmaking, party system, universal chat and friends list was all very robust and intuitive.

Even the "recent players" list made it so easy to rejoin a match if you dropped out by finding the last random person you were playing with then just clicking on them to join back in.

AFAIK PSN hardly had any of that until recently. Isn't it still lagging behind?

you know all those updates the xbone has been having to reinstate party etc to 360 levels? ps4 has had them the whole time. beyond that, xbl as a service has had quite a few more outages, and at critical times, than psn. driveclub for example is on evolutions end, whereas FH2 being unable to unlock at release was because xbl itself was down.

never mind the fact XBL digital game preloads need to access to live to unlock for some god drat reason, even though you can preload a game on PS3/4 and then go into the desert with absolutely no internet and play exactly at midnight as they don't use a fuckheaded phone in system for unlocks.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Stux posted:

never mind the fact XBL digital game preloads need to access to live to unlock for some god drat reason, even though you can preload a game on PS3/4 and then go into the desert with absolutely no internet and play exactly at midnight as they don't use a fuckheaded phone in system for unlocks.

Yes this must come in very handy for those people that digitally pre load games via their internet connection and subsequently move to the desert and demand immediate access to the aforementioned title at midnight.

What might be more useful would be multiplayer for the million people that bought driveclub, but what do I know. :D

It's odd how you post more in here than in your beloved ps4 thread, it's not too late to trade in you know.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

more people bought a broken lovely racing game then a working not as lovely racing game. lol

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
The PS4 thread is boring, much like Sony's Holiday 2014 lineup of console exclusives!! Everyone agrees about this :) but not much else :(

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crafty posted:

Yes this must come in very handy for those people that digitally pre load games via their internet connection and subsequently move to the desert and demand immediate access to the aforementioned title at midnight.

It does help when the online service shits the bed when the game launches, however. It's less about your internet stability and more about the service center's.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

incorporeal posted:

more people bought a broken lovely racing game then a working not as lovely racing game. lol

More people bought a console with a broken lovely multiplayer network then a working not as lovely multiplayer network. lol

Bass Bottles posted:

The PS4 thread is boring, much like Sony's Holiday 2014 lineup of console exclusives!! Everyone agrees about this :) but not much else :(

Sonys holiday line up 2014 doesn't exist. They blew their load on the Space Shuttle Columbia inspired launch of the poorly reviewed, year late, micro transaction fuelled driveclub. Bringing a below average racing experience to sony players, strictly one at a time.

But it's all ok because apparently it sold quite a few copies so stux is happy, that's what's important you see. :laugh:

I really couldn't give a poo poo if a games actually good or not, if it sells well then that's the one for me!

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

Crafty posted:

More people bought a console with a broken lovely multiplayer network then a working not as lovely multiplayer network. lol

Sonys holiday line up 2014 doesn't exist. They blew their load on the Space Shuttle Columbia inspired launch of the poorly reviewed, year late, micro transaction fuelled driveclub. Bringing a below average racing experience to sony players, strictly one at a time.

But it's all ok because apparently it sold quite a few copies so stux is happy, that's what's important you see. :laugh:

I really couldn't give a poo poo if a games actually good or not, if it sells well then that's the one for me!

Why do you keep talking about driveclub in the Xbox One thread?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Barent posted:

Why do people keep talking about PS4 in the Xbox One thread?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Barent posted:

It's a metaphor, both are tedious and repetitive.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
first rule of Drive Club: Do not talk about Drive Club.. in the XBONE thread

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Spacebump posted:

Why do people keep talking about PS4 in the Xbox One thread?

I can answer this one. Because most of the people in this thread own ps4s and only post here because they are bored of the ps4 'is psn down for anyone else?' thread.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Bass Bottles posted:

The funny thing is the X1 has more attractive exclusives than the ps4, but this is like comparing the best looking corn nugget in a turd.

X1 and ps4 still having nothing worth playing one year later. Meanwhile the Wii U had and has the best games console exclusive titles period.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If only other hard drive based platforms had solved the "it's too big for one disc" problem in the past, 343i wouldn't have to have gone to such crazy lengths.

I for one fondly remember having to swap out cd-roms every time I wanted to play a different act of diablo 2, or a different map and game mode for unreal.

Hell I remember having to swap floppies every time I wanted to open a different system setting in windows 3.1, lol!

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The funny thing is the X1 has more attractive exclusives than the ps4, but this is like comparing the best looking corn nugget in a turd.

X1 and ps4 still having nothing worth playing one year later. Meanwhile the Wii U had and has the best games console exclusive titles period.

I read three quarters of this post and was astonished to see you hadn't mentioned the wii u. Then you ruined it.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Got married this weekend. Can't wait to show this baby off at the Master Chief Collection midnight release!

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Crafty posted:

I can answer this one. Because most of the people in this thread own ps4s and only post here because they are bored of the ps4 'is psn down for anyone else?' thread.

To add to this, the ps4 thread is awful and so are the posters while the X1 thread is entertaining. Also the ps4 thread gets the worst case of butt hurt over any criticism.

The Wii U thread is good but sometimes it can get old arguing over what amazing console exclusive title makes the Wii U is the best console.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

To add to this, the ps4 thread is awful and so are the posters while the X1 thread is entertaining. Also the ps4 thread gets the worst case of butt hurt over any criticism.

The Wii U thread is good but sometimes it can get old arguing over what amazing console exclusive title makes the Wii U is the best console.

Be honest :If you could only buy one console out of the big three which one would it be?
Bear in mind that the xbox one has halo and sunset overdrive and a twenty gb patch. Ps4 has no games that aren't on ps3 and no online multiplayer, no YouTube app and no download pausing. The wii u has bayonetta but the console is made with children aged 3-6 in mind, and only gets 5 games per annum.

Be honest

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Driveclub is just boring old developer incompetence. Microsoft is malicious about this poo poo. They wouldn't even spend an extra dollar to put an extra disc into the four games that they're reselling you, holy crap.

Also it's a great time to own a WiiU, sadly I think the console will have peaked at Super Smash Bros. But it's a pretty great peak.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Crafty posted:

Sonys holiday line up 2014 doesn't exist. They blew their load on the Space Shuttle Columbia inspired launch

First of all, Columbia disintegrated on reentry; Challenger is the one that disintegrated shortly after liftoff.

Second, that is extremely unchill.

Teresa Heinz-Kirby
Jan 2, 2007

i was here first i had a reservation
sometimes I like to pause my downloads because all 20 gigs at once is just too much!!!

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Squeezy Farm posted:

Got married this weekend. Can't wait to show this baby off at the Master Chief Collection midnight release!

Pretty cool dude, is that a thumb ring? Either way make sure you get it sized and stuck on tight before the halo launch.

fisheyel83l posted:

sometimes I like to pause my downloads because all 20 gigs at once is just too much!!!

If you're on a monthly 10gb data cap you take that poo poo to 9.99 then count down the days till next months allowance. In three short months I'll be in multiplayer nirvana

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Crafty posted:

Be honest :If you could only buy one console out of the big three which one would it be?
Bear in mind that the xbox one has halo and sunset overdrive and a twenty gb patch. Ps4 has no games that aren't on ps3 and no online multiplayer, no YouTube app and no download pausing. The wii u has bayonetta but the console is made with children aged 3-6 in mind, and only gets 5 games per annum.

Be honest

I own a Wii U like an normal person.

Mario Kart 8 loving owns and still looks better than anything on the ps4 and X1.

Plus the YouTube app on the wii u is hilarious with the "presenter mode" at parties. Curtains on the TV then BAM!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've owned a PS4 since launch and I've maybe had... one day that the network wasn't working that wasn't announced downtime? I'm sure there's been others when I wasn't playing but the whole "Playstation network is broken" is laughable.

I wish Evolution made a next-gen Motorstorm instead of a driving game, personally. Those games were fun as heck.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Knowing whether PSN was down or not requires you to have a reason to turn on the ps4 in the first place. Lucky for Sony, there hasn't been one yet.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Reminder: Bayonetta 2 and Super Mario 3d World have higher metacritic scores than any game on the Xbox One.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Haquer posted:

First of all, Columbia disintegrated on reentry; Challenger is the one that disintegrated shortly after liftoff.

Second, that is extremely unchill.

Evolution studios pictures shortly before driveclubs release

"Server stress tests completely successful"

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Reminder: Bayonetta 2 and Super Mario 3d World have higher metacritic scores than any game on the Xbox One.

whoa whoa whoa

Metacritic scores don't matter, man.

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006
Two of those people were actually totally absent for the launch and another didn't show up for 20gi....minutes afterwards. Really poor showing since people thought they would be included.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

seiferguy posted:

whoa whoa whoa

Metacritic scores don't matter, man.

They don't to me, but there's a lot of people who seem to put a lot of stock in them.

The Xbox One's highest rated game, btw, Rayman Legends, has extra fun stuff on the Wii U.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The Xbox One's highest rated game, btw, Rayman Legends, has extra fun stuff on the Wii U.

Every game is best on Wii U, I mean even developed-on-Xbox game Bayonetta works best on the Wii U.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Knowing whether PSN was down or not requires you to have a reason to turn on the ps4 in the first place. Lucky for Sony, there hasn't been one yet.

Console exclusive Spelunky daily challenge.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

cronox2 posted:

Console exclusive Spelunky daily challenge.

lmbo if you don't play Spelunky on a Vita

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Crafty posted:

Evolution studios pictures shortly before driveclubs release

"Server stress tests completely successful"

I'm really broken up about your explosive and inflammatory comments on this matter

You're tearing me to pieces :(

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

The vita is worth owning over the ps4.

Teresa Heinz-Kirby
Jan 2, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

Can Vita remote play PS Now stuff or does it have access to PS Now? Also can it pause downloads?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The vita is worth owning over the ps4.

By Xbox's definition, the Vita is an all-in-one console capable of playing every PS4 game, so this is objectively true.

fisheyel83l posted:

Can Vita remote play PS Now stuff or does it have access to PS Now? Also can it pause downloads?

PS Now is directly accessible from a Vita. Also the Vita can pause downloads.

Teresa Heinz-Kirby
Jan 2, 2007

univbee posted:

PS Now is directly accessible from a Vita. Also the Vita can pause downloads.

That seems nice, I think I'll look into a Day One purchase maybe around Christmas if there's a deal. I have been wanting to play PS1-era RPGs that I missed out on, and there's always remote play/handful of PS+ games waiting for me

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Crafty posted:

Be honest

PS4 has no games you can't play on PS3, but Xbox has Halo.

You don't see it, do you. It must be like the difference between 1080peas or 912.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006

Hey Univbee. I think i remember you talking about nhl 15 before. Do you know if they re-added all the poo poo they took out of the next gen versions, or if they even plan too? Or should I just get 14?

• Locked thread