Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
While what we believe is "real AI" from a pop culture standpoint is in the same realm of feasibility as artificial gravity, that isn't what's being argued for. After all, we're talking about theoretical hard sci-fi fiction on television, the point would be to show artificial intelligence that isn't the "real AI" you're referring to anyway. Sure, like Bicyclops said, that gives a couple of "don'ts" that restrict the kind of stories you can tell but that doesn't mean you can't have interesting stories with it. I definitely agree that avoiding the trap of actually delving into the particulars except on a surface level is probably safest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

MikeJF posted:

Quantum computing bears

I want these now.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

While what we believe is "real AI" from a pop culture standpoint is in the same realm of feasibility as artificial gravity, that isn't what's being argued for. After all, we're talking about theoretical hard sci-fi fiction on television, the point would be to show artificial intelligence that isn't the "real AI" you're referring to anyway. Sure, like Bicyclops said, that gives a couple of "don'ts" that restrict the kind of stories you can tell but that doesn't mean you can't have interesting stories with it. I definitely agree that avoiding the trap of actually delving into the particulars except on a surface level is probably safest.

A lot of cyberpunk features that sort of "real AI" (for example, The Matrix).

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
This is the dumbest loving discussion I've read in a long time.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MikeJF posted:

It'll just let us solve a certain class of problems a lot better, and the issues implied with natural-language processing and problem solving or indeed most machine learning are not really amongst those and thus will almost certainly stay entirely on normal, non-quantum computers.

Counterpoint:

quote:

The team developed a quantum version of 'machine learning', a type of AI in which programs can learn from previous experience to become progressively better at finding patterns in data. Machine learning is popular in applications ranging from e-mail spam filters to online-shopping suggestions. The team’s invention would take advantage of quantum computations to speed up machine-learning tasks exponentially.

quote:

Such quantum AI techniques could dramatically speed up tasks such as image recognition for comparing photos on the web or for enabling cars to drive themselves — fields in which companies such as Google have invested considerable resources. (One of Lloyd's collaborators, Masoud Mohseni, is in fact a Google researcher based in Venice, California.)

“It's really interesting to see that there are new ways to use quantum computers coming up, after focusing mostly on factoring and quantum searches,”

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Let me just sneak this one in I'm super sick and barely can do work today so there's basically no chance I'm doing a review tonight sorry okay go back to that dumb nerd poo poo

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I hate this 'no true sci fi' discussion whenever it comes up. Though I do enjoy it when someone claims that Star Trek, the show with a new god like alien every other week, is somehow more 'hard' sci fi than Doctor Who (not that anyone here has said that, but I've heard the claim made before).

GonSmithe posted:

It appeared recently in the main Doctor Who thread, so I guess it inevitably had to spread here as well. Some people get really snobby about their sci fi and want to dismiss the stuff they don't like as 'fantasy'. Even though sci fi and fantasy are both in the same section of the book shop.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm more of a Stargate guy.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

I'm more of a Stargate guy.

I've been watching that since it's on UK Netflix. It... hasn't aged well.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

marktheando posted:

I just watched it for the first time like a year ago and loved it... your nostalgia might be getting in the way!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

It's actually kind of interesting though, especially as compared with some of the previous tangents the thread has gone on.

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

Well sure, there are absolutely ways in which you can limit your story and still tell it, otherwise every TV show would have literal magic in it. I think it depends on the stories you want to tell, though, and a lot of the driving force behind Star Trek and especially Doctor Who involves limitless possibility and the kinds of what-if scenarios you can concoct with that. There's a point at which explaining it too much almost removes a person's suspension of disbelief, which is probably why Treknobabble is such a popular writing bit. There's always a bit of a balancing act to play, but for better or for worse, Doctor Who decided to go pretty explicitly in one direction a long time ago, and I don't think it was the wrong decision for the show.

Toxxupation posted:

Let me just sneak this one in I'm super sick and barely can do work today so there's basically no chance I'm doing a review tonight sorry okay go back to that dumb nerd poo poo

Good luck, I hope you don't have why I had the past four days.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bicyclops posted:

Good luck, I hope you don't have why I had the past four days.

did you see a doctor

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

thexerox123 posted:

I just watched it for the first time like a year ago and loved it... your nostalgia might be getting in the way!

Teal'c and Major Briggs are still cool, but I kind of hate most of the other characters. And man people think Star Trek and Doctor Who can be too preachy, they have nothing on Stargate. I just watched the episode where they go to the planet where they make their kids learn stuff and then mind wipe them to absorb their knowledge. O'Neill teaches one girl how to be a kid instead of a scientist by teaching her how to paint. Her knowledge is absorbed and now the too-serious race learns the value of having fun. :rolleyes:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Toxxupation posted:

Sorry about your Ebola :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

did you see a doctor

I watched one of the new episodes of the show, but in my delirious haze, the Doctor looked out of the screen and told me that not even mixing all the cures in a huge vat could do anything and I just needed to take a day off from work and spend most of the weekend sleeping.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Soothing Vapors posted:

Sorry about your Ebola :(

YOU CAN'T JOKE ABOUT THAT OR ELSE IT'LL BECOME REAL LIKE COMMIES

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

marktheando posted:

I hate this 'no true sci fi' discussion whenever it comes up. Though I do enjoy it when someone claims that Star Trek, the show with a new god like alien every other week, is somehow more 'hard' sci fi than Doctor Who (not that anyone here has said that, but I've heard the claim made before).

I think as a practical matter, it's important to point out that every dramatized sci-fi show we can consider features fantasy elements that break a "hard sci-fi" convention.

I *don't* think that this lessens the enjoyment of any of those series, at least in my view. I just think that if we're calling it like it is, then nothing on TV is hard sci-fi, and there are very good dramatic and production related reasons for that.

Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009

marktheando posted:

Looking back the first season of Snargate, in particular, features some utterly atrocious and downright offensive poo poo. The show's treatment of Carter in the first few episodes goes way beyond usual Hollywood sexism into downright misogyny and the scene where she flirts with O'Neil while a room full of men catcall like idiots makes me genuinely uncomfortable. Had I started watching Stargate now rather than when I was like 12 I seriously doubt I would have gotten through the first few episodes.

Somehow, out of this utter dross came some very fine sci fi indeed. Stargate was never Breaking Bad but it became a show that, broadly, did what it did very well

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

It's actually kind of interesting though, especially as compared with some of the previous tangents the thread has gone on.

There is literally nothing interesting about debating whether something is "hard" sci-fi or not or whether something that happens in a sci-fi related show/movie could "actually happen." It's fiction. Anything can loving happen because it is NOT REAL. There is literally 0 reason to argue to the contrary besides being a ridiculous pedant.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

There is literally nothing interesting about debating whether something is "hard" sci-fi or not or whether something that happens in a sci-fi related show/movie could "actually happen." It's fiction. Anything can loving happen because it is NOT REAL. There is literally 0 reason to argue to the contrary besides being a ridiculous pedant.

Your opinion has been noted, and it is wrong. I command the rest of the thread to ignore this guy's wrong opinion.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

You sound like a real fun and cool guy, making GBS threads up a sci-fi thread with discussions on why sci-fi nerds are bad and should get wedgies.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Because all fiction is filled with dreamstuffs from the land of make believe and therefore a lie, there is no need to discuss any gradation of suspension of disbelief or to separate fiction into genre. Please adjust your worldview accordingly.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

You sound like a real fun and cool guy, making GBS threads up a sci-fi thread with discussions on why sci-fi nerds are bad and should get wedgies.

Bro I have a giant Doctor Who tattoo on my forearm and listen to Big Finish audios on my way to and from work every day, I'm pretty much the most deserving guy of a wedgie in the world besides maybe DoctorWhat (love ya bro).
I just can't fathom how arguing over whether the technology of a show that is about a space alien who has infinite lives (shut up, I know it's not infinite) who travels through time and space to have awesome adventures is even close to an argument worth having. Too many people try to "win" at movies and shows by arguing what's "real" and how far they can suspend their disbelief, but I feel like there's a time and a place. The show(s) is (are) made to entertain. Who cares if the particle accelerator he uses has no feasible explanation of working? Why does that matter at all? You'll enjoy things a lot more if you accept the fact that something based so far outside the bounds of reality might not be 100% with their science and makes things up sometimes (all the time).

But no you're right I love sports and you nerds deserve a wedgie and *faaaart*

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

GonSmithe posted:

Bro I have a giant Doctor Who tattoo on my forearm and listen to Big Finish audios on my way to and from work every day
lol

Burkion posted:

YOU CAN'T JOKE ABOUT THAT OR ELSE IT'LL BECOME REAL LIKE COMMIES
I'm sorry Occ. I'm sorry I gave you Ebola :negative:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'm broadly with GonSmithe on this one. The scientific accuracy argument is some kind of crippling brain disease as far as I'm concerned. It does no one any good.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Bro I have a giant Doctor Who tattoo on my forearm and listen to Big Finish audios on my way to and from work every day, I'm pretty much the most deserving guy of a wedgie in the world besides maybe DoctorWhat (love ya bro).
I just can't fathom how arguing over whether the technology of a show that is about a space alien who has infinite lives (shut up, I know it's not infinite) who travels through time and space to have awesome adventures is even close to an argument worth having. Too many people try to "win" at movies and shows by arguing what's "real" and how far they can suspend their disbelief, but I feel like there's a time and a place. The show(s) is (are) made to entertain. Who cares if the particle accelerator he uses has no feasible explanation of working? Why does that matter at all? You'll enjoy things a lot more if you accept the fact that something based so far outside the bounds of reality might not be 100% with their science and makes things up sometimes (all the time).

But no you're right I love sports and you nerds deserve a wedgie and *faaaart*

My point has far less to do about arguments over sci-fi (I don't really care), but more about the fact that the thread really wasn't lovely until you stepped in to try and poo poo on it. Now please take my off-handed insult even more literally and try to prove your cred.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm broadly with GonSmithe on this one. The scientific accuracy argument is some kind of crippling brain disease as far as I'm concerned. It does no one any good.

And you're largely wrong except for when you're not.

If an episode builds its entire problem around a real world thing and expects you to take it seriously, they better do their math so to speak.

On the flip side if the episode is something like Power Rangers where reality clearly isn't realistic, such as the moon having an atmosphere, well what the gently caress can you do.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly? I love Culshaw, but the mincing in that sketch bothers me, because it feels like it's done more because Barrowman's gay and does musical theatre than because Jack's bi/omni/whatever. Like he's compensating for a pretty poor impression with it.

The mincing was bad, he should have been eating a piece of wood

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

My point has far less to do about arguments over sci-fi (I don't really care), but more about the fact that the thread really wasn't lovely until you stepped in to try and poo poo on it. Now please take my off-handed insult even more literally and try to prove your cred.

I play Magic: the Gathering too and and and
I guess you have a fair point, but after having recently experienced one of the absolute dumbest "reality" arguments in the main thread, I'd rather Oxx's thread not have 20 pages of turbonerds explaining why their show is bad and silly because the science doesn't match up.
I guess I'm in the minority with that, apparently.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

There's only one option remaining to us:

Oxxidation, initiate killallnerds.exe

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No, you're right, I just think there are better ways to prove that point than to come in and tell nerds that what they're nerding about is stupid and expect them to get anything other than defensive.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

quote:

I just can't fathom how arguing over whether the technology of a show that is about a space alien who has infinite lives (shut up, I know it's not infinite) who travels through time and space to have awesome adventures is even close to an argument worth having.

No-one is claiming that Doctor Who is hard sci fi or anything close to it. Doctor Who is not the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson.

Toxxupation posted:

My animes :qq:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Toxxupation posted:

Actually that wouldn't work as an .exe file because
:goonsay:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

I play Magic: the Gathering too and and and
I guess you have a fair point, but after having recently experienced one of the absolute dumbest "reality" arguments in the main thread, I'd rather Oxx's thread not have 20 pages of turbonerds explaining why their show is bad and silly because the science doesn't match up.
I guess I'm in the minority with that, apparently.

It's because no one is presently ruining the thread or in the process of ruining the thread, at least beyond its pre-existing ruination. The minute I start to think this thread emulates the main one is the minute I lock it, request to have it gassed, and drop off a drugged Occupation in the heart of Cambodia where, I am told, the wi-fi never goes above one bar.

Oh also yeah killin all nerds I guess

Wait, no, MY ANIME

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Oxxidation posted:

It's because no one is presently ruining the thread or in the process of ruining the thread, at least beyond its pre-existing ruination. The minute I start to think this thread emulates the main one is the minute I lock it, request to have it gassed, and drop off a drugged Occupation in the heart of Cambodia where, I am told, the wi-fi never goes above one bar.

There is no difference between this thread and the main one, loads of people post in both. This one has actually been worse for posturing meganerds.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Toxxupation posted:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
weary Forums Administrator William Shatner

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Y'all are coming pretty close to saying "No science fiction is hard because it has fictional elements in it".

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Dabir posted:

Y'all are coming pretty close to saying "No science fiction is hard because it has fictional elements in it".

To be fair, the vast majority of sci-fi isn't hard sci-fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

There is no difference between this thread and the main one, loads of people post in both. This one has actually been worse for posturing meganerds.

I dunno about that, I'm almost caught up on Season 8 now and I made my first foray into the main thread. it's like this thread, except every single poster is DoctorWhat

• Locked thread