Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Stuck on Preparing Update for delta update.

Tried to update iTunes..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

nickutz posted:

Yeah I downloaded it surprisingly fast but its taking forever on the Preparing Update...

Same. The bar's moving, though, so I'm pacified for now.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I win.

EDIT: NOOOOooooOOOOooOOOOO!!!!!!!

Whirlwind Jones fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 20, 2014

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
http://www.redmondpie.com/ios-8.1-download-links-for-iphone-and-ipad-released-direct-links/

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I win.

EDIT: NOOOOooooOOOOooOOOOO!!!!!!!

Wait, there are supported and unsupported cards??

[edit] What bank you got, bro? First Credit Union of Saskatoon?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I, too, have updated my phone to 8.1

e: In all seriousness I'm fangirling so hard right now that I can sms on my computer.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 20, 2014

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
So, how does Apple Pay work for those of us with an iPhone 5? Can we still use it to make online purchases and whatnot, and maybe even in stores if they have a starbucks-esque barcode scanner? Or is this 100% exclusive to the iPhone 6?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

Wait, there are supported and unsupported cards??

[edit] What bank you got, bro? First Credit Union of Saskatoon?
My US Bank card didn't work, my Chase card did.

Since US Bank was on the main list of supported banks I'm just gonna assume they haven't turned it on on their end yet.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

chupacabraTERROR posted:

So, how does Apple Pay work for those of us with an iPhone 5?

It doesn't. The 5 has literally none of the hardware it needs.

You can solve that for brick-and-mortar sales by pairing it to a nice, attractive Apple Watch, however!

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Molten Llama posted:

It doesn't. The 5 has literally none of the hardware it needs.

You can solve that for brick-and-mortar sales by pairing it to a nice, attractive Apple Watch, however!
You can still use it for in App / online stuff though.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Whirlwind Jones posted:

You can still use it for in App / online stuff though.

Using what TouchID sensor?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Here's the list of currently supported banks. I guess US Bank isn't ready yet. :argh:

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

jackpot posted:

Speaking of cables, are there any good knock-off lightning adapters that are as good as Apple's "We'll charge you $35 because gently caress you" adapter? I couldn't find one on Monoprice; it's for my car, so I just need the adapter, not the cable.

I don't have that brand, but I have one of those cloth-covered cables for my old iphone and it's been excellent. Mine has this humongous base-piece, though, that surrounds the cord where it reaches the charger, which I'm guessing prevents it from getting twisted around. My OEM charging cable is a shameful piece of equipment that's just begging for an electrical fire; it's twice as bad as this one that got ridiculed earlier (but it still works).

Hey - those are my cables! Apple replaced them, too.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Third party keyboards are MUCH faster and also they properly push up the conversation in iMessage now.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Jesus, I know it's no big thing... but the letter/number recognition overlay when you scan a card is freaking neat looking.

So futurey!

[edit] I have 2 Chase cards. One my own, and the other a joint account with my wife. My joint card keeps saying "Card not added, contact your issuer for more information."

Weird.

[edit-edit] 4th time was a charm.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 20, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

Jesus, I know it's no big thing... but the letter/number recognition overlay when you scan a card is freaking neat looking.

So futurey!
It's quick as hell too. One of my cards is old and beat up and has none of the original "paint" on the numbers and yet it still picked it up in about 2 seconds.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Welp 8.1 didn't fix the goddamn images half-loading problem.

Also my phone is getting really hot.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
Does Apple Pay work at any of those PayWave NFC readers or do they require Apple-specific stuff? I've seen conflicting information around the internet.

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

various cheeses posted:

Welp 8.1 didn't fix the goddamn images half-loading problem.

Was just going to post this. Sigh.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Well, none of my cards are 'supported'.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

CoasterMaster posted:

Does Apple Pay work at any of those PayWave NFC readers or do they require Apple-specific stuff? I've seen conflicting information around the internet.
If the business supports the NFC wave card thing then they automatically support Apple Pay. My work has the NFC terminals but I don't think we support the actual thing so I don't think it'll work. I'll have to try later.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So how's this supposed to work now? I don't want to embarrass myself at a fine dining establishment like a McDonald's drive through. I see my cards in my Passbook. I can't like, DO anything with them here/now. When I get to McDonalds and they wave a reader near me will it like, auto-prompt me to pick a card and thumb-scan? Or do I need to load something up orrrrr?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

So how's this supposed to work now? I don't want to embarrass myself at a fine dining establishment like a McDonald's drive through. I see my cards in my Passbook. I can't like, DO anything with them here/now. When I get to McDonalds and they wave a reader near me will it like, auto-prompt me to pick a card and thumb-scan? Or do I need to load something up orrrrr?
NO ONE KNOWS!

BE OUR GUINEE PIG

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was going to go to Starbucks but I don't want to lose stars by not using my Starbucks card.

Guess it'll have to be McDonald's or Target.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

My phone's a bit toasty at the moment, thinking the update was hard work plus the normal heat it gets while charging.

Should I preemptively coin Heatgate or Burnghazi?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

NO ONE KNOWS!

BE OUR GUINEE PIG

God Im gonna be embarrassing the poo poo out of myself at MICKEY DEES.

(I have a phone meeting but should be able to go right after...)

xilni posted:

My phone's a bit toasty at the moment, thinking the update was hard work plus the normal heat it gets while charging.

Should I preemptively coin Heatgate or Burnghazi?

Osama Burn Laden

Burnrack Obama

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
:siren: :siren: OK boys, should I trek to Walgreens and buy some toilet paper or something to see how this poo poo works? :siren: :siren:

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Josh Lyman posted:

I was going to go to Starbucks but I don't want to lose stars by not using my Starbucks card.

Guess it'll have to be McDonald's or Target.

The Starbucks App is supposed to be getting the in app version of ApplePay soon, so none of the fancy phone waving tricks but one click refill payments is still nice.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Other than the camera not picking up the black on grey card number on my Amex Plat everything worked well and my card is activated.
Now to actually find a place to use it. :ohdear:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/talkingtech/2014/10/19/how-to-use-apple-pay/17399647/
(How it works) (Sorry in advance for this schleppy shame.)

(It sounds like the NFC "field" turns on your phone when you get it really close?)

Also: Let's talk iCloud Photos Beta whatever. Where is it? What is it? How do I do it?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Feenix posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/talkingtech/2014/10/19/how-to-use-apple-pay/17399647/

(It sounds like the NFC "field" turns on your phone when you get it really close?)

Also: Let's talk iCloud Photos Beta whatever. Where is it? What is it? How do I do it?

Well I'm going to go see what happens at Walgreens. Wish me luck.

iCloud photos syncs all your photos between devices. I was able to enable it on my iPhone 6 on 8.0. I guess it works well. After enabling it took a day or so for my 2,500 photos to sync to my iPad.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

dutchbstrd posted:

Well I'm going to go see what happens at Walgreens. Wish me luck.

iCloud photos syncs all your photos between devices. I was able to enable it on my iPhone 6 on 8.0. I guess it works well. After enabling it took a day or so for my 2,500 photos to sync to my iPad.

What I really need is an easy way to go through all my photos and delete old/irrelevant ones I don't want anymore.

If I delete them in the browser will it kill the original on my phone?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is iCloud Photos beta opt-in somewhere or will it just now start working?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

It's under the iCloud menu. It'll just eat up all your iCloud storage unless you actually have an iPad.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Feenix posted:

Is iCloud Photos beta opt-in somewhere or will it just now start working?

The iCloud photos beta option has been up in my settings for weeks, kind of odd how it's enabled/disabled at a different pace for people.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

xilni posted:

What I really need is an easy way to go through all my photos and delete old/irrelevant ones I don't want anymore.

If I delete them in the browser will it kill the original on my phone?

If you end up doing it (or needing to) on your phone, I have to recommend Flic. It's 99 cents but it's made the process really, REALLY easy. (and kinda checks in with you every month to see what was just utilitarian junk you may no longer need.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It's under the iCloud menu. It'll just eat up all your iCloud storage unless you actually have an iPad.

I have an iPad. Will it NOT eat up all my storage if I enable it and I have an iPad?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

dutchbstrd posted:

:siren: :siren: OK boys, should I trek to Walgreens and buy some toilet paper or something to see how this poo poo works? :siren: :siren:

I definitely recommend having toilet paper when checking how your poo poo works, yeah.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
Whelp, my Amazon Visa (issued by Chase) doesn't seem to be supported even though Chase is listed as a supporting bank. My Wells Fargo cards have been added though. Has anyone gotten a Chase card to work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snoring
Oct 21, 2008
Huh, Spotlight is still a buggy piece of garbage just like in 8.0.2. I thought for sure that would be fixed in this update. Everything else seems to be working okay though.