Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pope Guilty posted:

Why would a sovereign citizen dude want to be part of the government? :psyduck:

Many soverign citizen dudes earnestly believe that they could "fix" government by returning it to their idea of a "legal" state. So you know, the child support and driver's license laws are clearly unconstitutional but having city roads is ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'd use the same standard Scalia would on the issue: I know 'Mozzerella' when I taste it.

You're confusing Potter Stewart and Scalia. Scalia's standard is "I know mozzarella when the Founding Fathers taste it, unless it conflicts with my policy preferences."

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

lil mortimer posted:

I wonder how long it'll take Hannity and Ann Coulter to whine about anti-American liberals and their Republican President Derangement Syndrome whenever another Republican takes office.

Now look you might not agree with his politics, but you have to respect the president. Unless he's a black Democrat. Then being disrespectful is the only American way to register your disgust at his unconstitutional policies.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "In 2017, I believe a Republican president will repeal Obamacare in its entirety." ~ Ted Cruz

You could do a find and replace on this article and run it in 2004 or 2006 or 2008 or 2010 or 2012. The pundits are firmly convinced that THIS will be the shakeup that makes the Republicans become serious about governing and responding to the base problems of the country instead of being a bunch of talk radio Fox News nuts out to one up the craziness of each other for votes while they sell off the country to the highest bidder. Every time THIS event will make them serious because otherwise they will be out of power and the Dems will set the agenda and every time the GOP sets up a nice bit of regulatory capture for the rich and then proceeds to paint the wall with its own poo poo while screaming and smashing the machinery of government with a pipe wrench. And the press comes out and presents both sides, that it's just a matter of opinion if "vaccines cause autism" or not or "witchcraft is real" or not or "agenda 21 is a new world order plot" or not or whatever.

Christ on the cross

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Sorry friend, but if you don't agree that Both Sides Have Good Points then clearly you are just not listening to Very Serious People in Washington who are out to protect Small Business Owners from the stifling hand of Big Government and its over-regulation. Our nation's Job Creators need to be free to experiment with Disruptive new techniques that Big Pharma and the SJWs don't want you to know about. But they can't do that when Obamacare and the PC Police are forcing them to hire only Hyphenated Americans and to give those Welfare Queens these ridiculous and ungodly healthcare plans. Our Small Business Owners simply can't afford to pay for all these Late Term Abortion Pills, and even if they could afford it they shouldn't have to, because forcing them to pay for those Ungodly things goes against the beliefs of the company. Corporations are people after all, and America is a Christian Nation. Do you want to give all these Illegals even more reason to flood over the border and infect us all with their Ebola-soaked Muslim Prayer Rugs, or shoot the Real Patriots protecting the border with their Fast and Furious machine guns? If we don't Close The Border then we'll all suffer when ISIS comes up from Mexico and institutes Sharia Law and uses FEMA to force us all into Death Panels while they use vaccines to infect our children with Autism. Why Do You Hate America???

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

An Angry Bug posted:

Sorry friend, but if you don't agree that Both Sides Have Good Points then clearly you are just not listening to Very Serious People in Washington who are out to protect Small Business Owners from the stifling hand of Big Government and its over-regulation. Our nation's Job Creators need to be free to experiment with Disruptive new techniques that Big Pharma and the SJWs don't want you to know about. But they can't do that when Obamacare and the PC Police are forcing them to hire only Hyphenated Americans and to give those Welfare Queens these ridiculous and ungodly healthcare plans. Our Small Business Owners simply can't afford to pay for all these Late Term Abortion Pills, and even if they could afford it they shouldn't have to, because forcing them to pay for those Ungodly things goes against the beliefs of the company. Corporations are people after all, and America is a Christian Nation. Do you want to give all these Illegals even more reason to flood over the border and infect us all with their Ebola-soaked Muslim Prayer Rugs, or shoot the Real Patriots protecting the border with their Fast and Furious machine guns? If we don't Close The Border then we'll all suffer when ISIS comes up from Mexico and institutes Sharia Law and uses FEMA to force us all into Death Panels while they use vaccines to infect our children with Autism. Why Do You Hate America???

This is so beautiful. I think we all need to take a moment and admire how elegantly this captures everything wrong with America up to this point.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Joementum posted:

Oh, allow him to learn ya' 'bout some traffic laws.

These people honestly think that having a BAC > 0.2 and barreling down a school zone doing 60 is only self inflicting harm.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

An Angry Bug posted:

:pusheen:

Yup, I think that's a blackout

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

An Angry Bug posted:

OP for US Politics November: Why did the IRS give Ebola to all those Tea Party groups anyway? found.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

I absolutely adore the bit where he goes 'I should be able to freely express any opinion I want, without other people calling me names'.

What's the matter Cliven, I thought you were a rugged individualist. Are the big meanies in the liberal media/establishment/whatever bullying you? :jerkbag:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It's free expression when I say what I want

But when you react to what I say it's a violation of the first amendment

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

richardfun posted:

I absolutely adore the bit where he goes 'I should be able to freely express any opinion I want, without other people calling me names'.

What's the matter Cliven, I thought you were a rugged individualist. Are the big meanies in the liberal media/establishment/whatever bullying you? :jerkbag:

I love that he actually said that. He thinks the Constitution means that people have to be nice to him when he's saying things that aren't nice about them, so long as he doesn't think he's being mean to them. Or think of them as people.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Fried Chicken posted:

OP for US Politics November: Why did the IRS give Ebola to all those Tea Party groups anyway? found.

I couldn't help but think US Politics November: Ebola-soaked Muslim Prayer Rugs while reading that. It's really a piece of art.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cheekio posted:

I couldn't help but think US Politics November: Ebola-soaked Muslim Prayer Rugs while reading that. It's really a piece of art.

I'd be way more delighted with that post if I didn't know that between 10 and 30 million Americans would agree unironically and enthusiastically with the entire thing.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Warszawa posted:

You're confusing Potter Stewart and Scalia. Scalia's standard is "I know mozzarella when the Founding Fathers taste it, unless it conflicts with my policy preferences."

I'm gonna need a cheese plate to compare, barrister.

E:

This just in, Thomas' wife reported to run an italian mozzerella operation on the side. Will this influence his vote on protectionist cheese policy?

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 20, 2014

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just visited Politifact again, and god drat does that site suck. It's amazing that one site can miss the point so many times.

My recent favorite was the one that involved the claim that "almost four million women have fallen into poverty in the last six years", which was completely substantiated by Census data, but Politifact rated it as "Mostly False" because "women" only means females above the age of 18.

Of course, nothing will ever beat the "this plan will destroy Medicare" claim rated as false, because there will technically be a plan called "Medicare", even if it in no way resembles the plan it replaces.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Let's be frank here, Politifact are lying, opportunistic backstabbers. They don't care about the truth or doing good for other people. They only care about being seen as Very Serious People, and nowadays that means constantly fellating horrible people and throwing anyone remotely leftist under the bus. If they didn't, they'd be seen as radical and threatening, which would stifle their ambitions and make it harder for them to gain money and power. They were never good people in the first place.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
What I think is frustrating is that gas prices are flirting with dropping below $3 for the first time in who knows how long, unemployment is down, healthcare is down, everything that the media was screaming about being important just two years ago is suddenly second to two nurses catching ebola because :supaburn:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Necc0 posted:

What I think is frustrating is that gas prices are flirting with dropping below $3 for the first time in who knows how long, unemployment is down, healthcare is down, everything that the media was screaming about being important just two years ago is suddenly second to two nurses catching ebola because :supaburn:

There was no way the media was going to give Obama any benefit of what's going on, because regardless of the facts people do not feel there is a recovery and reporting as if things are fine will bite them in the rear end when Republicans take over government and the media has no reason to explain how that happened.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

An Angry Bug posted:

Let's be frank here, Politifact are lying, opportunistic backstabbers. They don't care about the truth or doing good for other people. They only care about being seen as Very Serious People, and nowadays that means constantly fellating horrible people and throwing anyone remotely leftist under the bus. If they didn't, they'd be seen as radical and threatening, which would stifle their ambitions and make it harder for them to gain money and power. They were never good people in the first place.

Politifact throws leftists under the bus about as much as Jon Stewart, which is to say JUST often enough to seem non-partisan, when it's pretty obvious that both are liberal hacks who enjoy attacking conservatives at a higher volume than liberals (which isn't to say they attack them unfairly, they're just partisan in their focus on conservatives-saying-stupid-poo poo versus liberals-saying-stupid-poo poo).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

An Angry Bug posted:

Please stop dropping brutal truth bombs on the USPOL thread.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Amergin posted:

Politifact throws leftists under the bus about as much as Jon Stewart, which is to say JUST often enough to seem non-partisan, when it's pretty obvious that both are liberal hacks who enjoy attacking conservatives at a higher volume than liberals (which isn't to say they attack them unfairly, they're just partisan in their focus on conservatives-saying-stupid-poo poo versus liberals-saying-stupid-poo poo).

Jumping around like you're Yosemite Sam, ranting about Urban Ferals to a group of armed supporters tends to be a lot more newsworthy then some hippy pining to nobody in particular over our use of coal.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Nonsense posted:

There was no way the media was going to give Obama any benefit of what's going on, because regardless of the facts people do not feel there is a recovery and reporting as if things are fine will bite them in the rear end when Republicans take over government and the media has no reason to explain how that happened.

To be fair, the recovery isn't going so well for normal people. Unemployment is down, but that is from minimum wage service industry jobs replacing the former decent paying jobs. Wages are still completely stagnant. College graduates are still completely buried under student loans. People may not be on the unemployment rolls any longer, but they likely don't have much in the way of spending power. Most of the recovery has gone to the already rich.

Sure, this isn't the fault of Obama or the Democrats, but most people don't know that. They see "Democrat in white house, my life still sucks, it is the democrats' fault."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the (Senate-style) morning, "Michelle sent these. We got broccoli, carrots." ~ Barack Obama, delivering donuts to a Pat Quinn campaign office.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Amergin posted:

Really any site or group that 'dedicates' itself to revealing political truths is going to be biased and thus worthless.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Quote of the (Senate-style) morning, "Michelle sent these. We got broccoli, carrots." ~ Barack Obama, delivering donuts to a Pat Quinn campaign office.

Michelle absolutely loaths Quinn.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Necc0 posted:

A lot of people don't think any of those things are true thanks to our fair and balanced media and the GOP's ability to flat out lie without being held accountable.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Talmonis posted:

Jumping around like you're Yosemite Sam, ranting about Urban Ferals to a group of armed supporters tends to be a lot more newsworthy then some hippy pining to nobody in particular over our use of coal.

I was listening to a talk by Gen. John Allen and he mentioned that military planners were now coining the phrase "feral cities" to refer to heavily urbanized areas that had "fallen out of the writ of law and the government". A quick google just now tells me that this is a actually a thing, but I still found the use of word rather unsettling.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

An Angry Bug posted:

I agree that they're generally pretty bad and some of their individual rulings have been downright terrible but the site still paints an overall somewhat negative picture of Republicans and definitely of tea partiers. Obama and Biden's numbers look pretty good, Boehner and McConnell's are average while Cruz and Bachmann's are downright awful.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

God drat it I ended up in the democrat mailing list somehow and they keep sending me emails with titles like "all hope is lost" and "accept defeat", which I guess is the new Democratic platform.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

To be fair, the recovery isn't going so well for normal people. Unemployment is down, but that is from minimum wage service industry jobs replacing the former decent paying jobs. Wages are still completely stagnant. College graduates are still completely buried under student loans. People may not be on the unemployment rolls any longer, but they likely don't have much in the way of spending power. Most of the recovery has gone to the already rich.

Sure, this isn't the fault of Obama or the Democrats, but most people don't know that. They see "Democrat in white house, my life still sucks, it is the democrats' fault."

Oh no I agree, I was trying to sound a bit sarcastic with "regardless of the facts" thing, because if the recovery is genuine or not, people in general don't seem to be feeling it.

I was just stating there can be no state the media is in currently where its going to give great press to a party that pretty much flubs every mid-term.

The numbers do not seem to be lying though, and Democrats really have colossally hosed up.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

God drat it I ended up in the democrat mailing list somehow and they keep sending me emails with titles like "all hope is lost" and "accept defeat", which I guess is the new Democratic platform.

Wendy Davis' team sends like 4 emails an hour. Also she lost 10 points in a weekend :lol:

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 20, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Luigi Thirty posted:

Nah its always been that they're just being more honest about it now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Wendy Davis' team sends like 4 emails an hour. Also she lost 10 points in a weekend :lol:

What poll?

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Is it really her team doing it? Weren't there some dirty tricks being played where I think a Republican candidate was flooding Democratic voters with fake robocalls pretending to be his opponent to get the Dems to not vote out of spite?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zoux posted:

What poll?

I thought you were the one who posted that poll. Or was it one of those local newscasts: DO YOU THINK A THING? YES NO?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nonsense posted:

I thought you were the one who posted that poll. Or was it one of those local newscasts: DO YOU THINK A THING? YES NO?

KHOU had her down by 15 but I don't think she was ever within five points.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

They alternate the 'all is lost doom and despair' emails with poo poo like 'nate Silver says its too close to call! Your 5 DOLLARS COULD BE WHAT PUTS US OVER THE EDGE!' and poo poo like that.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zoux posted:

KHOU had her down by 15 but I don't think she was ever within five points.

Her internal polling email last week(or was it two weeks ago, I Just delete them very quickly) had her within 6. I suppose it does not really matter because she never led in a poll once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Her internal polling email last week(or was it two weeks ago, I Just delete them very quickly) had her within 6. I suppose it does not really matter because she never led in a poll once.

Yeaaaah I'd recommend she should fire her internal polling firm because she hasn't been within single digits since last fall.

• Locked thread