Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

So Zeno Clash 2 is on sale for a buck '94.

As someone who loved the unique atmosphere and aesthetics of the first one, is the sequel worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Hatman101 posted:

Metrocide just came out today, anybody tried it yet?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/313130/

Looks like Hotline Miami and Syndicate mixed together. Most likely going to buy it even though it's early access.

this looks cool. their EA spiel sounds promising, only in EA briefly for balance feedback, all core features and items included minus a couple bonus game modes to be added. 6.99 in EA, 12.99 after

e: it's a buck cheaper at desura and says it includes a steam key

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 20, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

As someone who loved the unique atmosphere and aesthetics of the first one, is the sequel worth it?

Yes. Absolutely.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

That's because it has it's own thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3665705

It's really good, it's a massive step up from Grimrock 1. Much bigger, more refined mechanics but with lots of new stuff added. New monsters and tilesets are great.

Thanks for the link! I'll check up on it there.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well I just bought the Grimrock Bundle for € 25 so I hope you guys are right and it's fun.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

FWIW you can get Zeno Clash II in this Bundle Stars bundle along with the entire Tropico trilogy, Hard Reset, and Inquisitor for $3. http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/reboot-bundle-4/

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Phlegmish posted:

Well I just bought the Grimrock Bundle for € 25 so I hope you guys are right and it's fun.

It is. Probably one of the most rewarding RPGs I've played in recent times. Haven't got 2 yet, but I 100% the first one and every second was a joy.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

poptart_fairy posted:

If someone can confirm this is actually happening and just not an animation quirk I will buy the game this very second.

Buy it regardless. It's worth it.

(And yes, several things like that happen — more and more as the game progresses and it begins to learn how you play.)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ragequit posted:

Everyone went quiet after Grimrock 2 released. Hopefully that is a sign they are all absorbed and having fun. If anyone can provide some info for/against it, I'd appreciate it.
It's basically better Grimrock 1 with a much bigger, partially outdoors map and more polish. Go get it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tippis posted:

(And yes, several things like that happen — more and more as the game progresses and it begins to learn how you play.)
You can't pull a Trespasser and make it keep its distance using an empty gun, right?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

SelenicMartian posted:

You can't pull a Trespasser and make it keep its distance using an empty gun, right?

It's really fun to try and figure out exactly what it's programmed to do, but I do believe it will learn to be frightened/back off if you've attacked it effectively in the past, until it learns that your damage dealing days are over and goes back to tearing you a new one.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Humble Extra Life Bundle

$1

Potatoman Seeks the Troof
Lone Survivor: Director's Cut
Trove (Closed Beta)
Defiance - Extra Life Starter Pack
Landmark 1 Week Beta
Twitch.tv Turbo 30 Day Subscription (lol)
Reddit gold 30 Day Subscription (lol)

$6+
King Arthur's Gold
You Don't Know Jack Collection
Speedrunners
RIFT - Extra Life Starter Pack

$13+
Nom Nom Galaxy (Early Access)
King Arthur's Gold 4 Pack

https://www.humblebundle.com/flash

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

If you use the flamethrower enough, it gets this short period where it'll be worried about your other guns/flamethrower.

It learns really fast though that nothing else bothers it, and then quickly figures out how to get around you using the flamethrower. :stonk:

That's the thing about the game, the "learning" it does is pretty obviously just a reaction to what you do, but it's still a novel concept. If you hide in lockers constantly, it'll just rip the doors off all the lockers. If you hide in vents constantly, it'll start going through the vents on it's paths as well, and will open the doors to check and see if you are hiding inside them. If you hide under tables constantly, it'll start wandering around on all fours, sniffing for you. Use guns often? It'll start flanking you/jump onto the ceiling/use the vents better to grab you. Traps/bombs? It'll eventually put 2 and 2 together, and start investigating your area rather then where you threw the noisemaker.

You basically need to keep trying new things if you want to get through the game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Ahahahahah :cripes:

It will be running for almost a week.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Welp, I'll put Alien on the list for over Halloween then. I'm surprised by the genuinely great reaction it's had.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Humble Extra Life Bundle

$1

Potatoman Seeks the Troof
Lone Survivor: Director's Cut
Trove (Closed Beta)
Defiance - Extra Life Starter Pack
Landmark 1 Week Beta

$6+
King Arthur's Gold
You Don't Know Jack Collection
Speedrunners
RIFT - Extra Life Starter Pack

$13+
Nom Nom Galaxy (Early Access)
King Arthur's Gold 4 Pack

https://www.humblebundle.com/flash
Get this for Lone Survivor if you want a cool little horror game to play on Halloween.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

FWIW you can get Zeno Clash II in this Bundle Stars bundle along with the entire Tropico trilogy, Hard Reset, and Inquisitor for $3. http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/reboot-bundle-4/

None of the other games in that bundle interest me and I already own Inquisitor, so I just went ahead bout Zeno Clash 2.

It's worth the $1.94.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
So hey, it looks like Dark Souls is finally ditching GFWL, it just got achievements: http://steamcommunity.com/stats/211420/achievements
I didn't like DS2 so this is great news for me, I think I might 100% the thing.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Looks like Door Kickers is out of Early Access. I've been pretty excited to check this out, any goon thoughts on this one?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Terminally Bored posted:

So hey, it looks like Dark Souls is finally ditching GFWL, it just got achievements: http://steamcommunity.com/stats/211420/achievements

Has anyone figured out a consistent to run smoothly yet? I run a very midrange computer with 8 gigs of RAM and a Radeon 7850HD or something, and most modern games play relatively smoothly at Ultra or High settings, including the recent Shadow of Mordor.

However, this game constantly stutters at under 20 FPS, even with the DSFix, so I haven't tried it since earlier this year. Have there been any major updates?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Tales of Maj'Eyal is on sale. I played AD&D games and didn't like the system, while D&D 4e was pretty fun and I enjoyed it. I also remember enjoying the combat system in Dragon Age. Is the underlying system anything close to them, or more of a grognard game?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Azran posted:

Tales of Maj'Eyal is on sale. I played AD&D games and didn't like the system, while D&D 4e was pretty fun and I enjoyed it. I also remember enjoying the combat system in Dragon Age. Is the underlying system anything close to them, or more of a grognard game?

It's a classic roguelike, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is similar to it but they're pretty different games. I think, if I recall correctly, the game is actually free and the Steam version is if you want it on Steam or to support the developper.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Supporting the developer if you enjoy the game is a kind thing to do.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Azran posted:

It's a donation-supported free game, so feel free to try it out. The donation/Steam version just has an infinite-lives mode (default is like three lives with the ability to earn more) and an extra dwarf-only class. It very much has modern design sensibilities, so you'll feel right at home coming from D&D 4E.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Azran posted:

It's a straight rogue-like with enormous amounts of depth that is the answer to conference calls. it's also free for download on their website, but it's worth paying for due to the dedication of the developer. It and Dredmor have utterly destroyed the roguelike landscape for being so awesome, IMNSHO.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Morter posted:

Has anyone figured out a consistent to run smoothly yet? I run a very midrange computer with 8 gigs of RAM and a Radeon 7850HD or something, and most modern games play relatively smoothly at Ultra or High settings, including the recent Shadow of Mordor.

However, this game constantly stutters at under 20 FPS, even with the DSFix, so I haven't tried it since earlier this year. Have there been any major updates?

What kind of processor do you have? I had the same video card, 4 gigs of ram, and a Athlon x4 965, and it ran perfectly for me at 30fps, even in blight town.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

Thank loving christ. I got so frustrated with the GFWL registration poo poo that I uninstalled the game and refused to touch it until it was purged. I've been looking forward to playing this for a long time.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Getting it off Steam nets you a few minor bennies, too. I didn't really care for it, but I'm not upset about tossing the dev a few bucks.

Edit: Beaten. If you like roguelikes, it's hard to go wrong with TOME.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Somebody described Banner Saga as "Oregon Trail-like," which got me to go back and play it again, after not really taking to it when I played it as an Xcom-like

My question is, is the big bad guy who seems like the end of the game the end of the game?

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"
Who wants some free Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD?

http://www.indiegala.com/game?game_id=74a56a23588c11e4ac23cf6430265632

Terminally Bored posted:

Nice, finally.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 20, 2014

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Thanks a lot!

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Terminally Bored posted:

I don't normally give a poo poo about achievements - so why did I click the install button as soon as I read this?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Azran posted:

If you are a completionist you may as well end your life now. There are like 1300 achievements. Fun game though. Give the free version a shot first if you don't want to drop a few dollars.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Dr Suntory posted:

I don't normally give a poo poo about achievements - so why did I click the install button as soon as I read this?

Do note that achievements don't work yet, Steamworks patch will be appearing soon apparently.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Leper Residue posted:

What kind of processor do you have? I had the same video card, 4 gigs of ram, and a Athlon x4 965, and it ran perfectly for me at 30fps, even in blight town.

One of these. i5, 2.90 GHz

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you're going to get Lone Survivor go for it but for the love of God beat that thing in a single sitting or within a few days. Put it down for a week and you'll come back confused and screwed.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Terminally Bored posted:

Do note that achievements don't work yet, Steamworks patch will be appearing soon apparently.

I'll be ready!

(oh god, what am I saying?)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I personally found Lone Survivor really boring and I love survival horror games.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Dr Suntory posted:

I'll be ready!

(oh god, what am I saying?)

Hah, I'm the same really. Can't wait to play through it again without all the GFWL poo poo. Shame there's no achievements for the DLC content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
re: lone survivor - I liked it better when I thought that was a smile, and not a face mask.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 20, 2014

• Locked thread