Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
I saw Rachel Parris at the Fringe last year and she was really funny but that was musical comedy rather than stand up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Does Noel fielding actually do anything nowadays apart from making GBS threads up NMTB?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He did those huge shits on channel 4.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Big Taff Man posted:

Is there like a list of female comedians because I just tried to think of one I like and I couldnt, but thats more because I was thinking of the ones I hate

There's been a few female comedians on WILTY and Mock the Week that are pretty funny in small doses but like most comedians listening to them for a full hour of stand up would be unpleasant.

Just imagine Andy Parsons or Chris Addison doing a full stand up routine. By the 4th minute they'd be unbearable.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
Josie Long? Isy Sutie? To be honest, I'm not a big fan of either of their stand up. I really enjoyed them on panel shows a few times though.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

pentyne posted:

imagine Andy Parsons
No

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Josie Long is awful and Ive never heard of the other woman

Seaside Loafer posted:

Im really struggling. Oh French and Saunders of course. Sarah Silverman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Silverman is loving awesome but she's from one of those big country's over the atlantic so doesn't count.

There are bloody loads of really great actresses in our sketch shows but I'm loving struggling to think of a good UK female standup.

Yeah I can think of great comedy actresses but not any stand ups who I like. I dont like Sarah Silverman tbh.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

The Big Taff Man posted:

Josie Long is awful and Ive never heard of the other woman

AKA Dobbie from Peep Show?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The Big Taff Man posted:

Josie Long is awful and Ive never heard of the other woman.

The other woman is Dobbie from Peep Show but she is also awful so you're not missing much.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Miranda Hart........................................................

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Undead Hippo posted:

AKA Dobbie from Peep Show?

I like her in Peep Show but Ive never seen her do stand up. I mean I like Mitchell and Webb in Peep Show but their sketch show was awful and I think David Mitchell is awful on most panel shows so....

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I like Shappi Khorsandi

Though this is might because I find her attractive

also why does david mitchell look like he has a bleeding lip in this weeks WILTY

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Have we finally reached the point in this discussion where we can say "It's almost like humour is a subjective experience"?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I thought this thread liked Victoria Coren?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The thread both loves and hates everything.

Except Jim Davidson.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Intolerant people always say it's subjective.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Burqa King posted:

I think having respect for women is closely related to growing up with positive female role models. Cilla Black? Yes please. Challenge Anneka? Don't mind I'd I do.

Personally, I think that people saying 'i def respect women, its just uhhh her ventriloquist skills arent up to scratch' should take a long look in the mirror. For it is only in the mirror that you will find someone who will believe that - yourself.

...This is a gimmick, right? You're aware of how sexist it is to say that women in any field should be praised just for being women in that field, rather than on merit, right? If someone doesn't think Nina Conti is a very good ventriloquist or that her act is funny, that's all it means.

It's only sexist if they say something like "Women aren't funny" that...

Haggis Heed posted:

Women are not funny.

Oh.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Haggis Heed posted:

Women are not funny.

You're not very good at this trolling business yet are you? Of with yous to gibbis to train.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I think it would be sexist to say that. But I didn't so I'm in the clear I think.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Josh Lyman posted:

I thought this thread liked Victoria Coren?

I dont

The Big Taff Man posted:

Rarity posted:

Taff, what do you think of Victoria Coren?

Shes too posh, and everytime I see her Im reminded of her brother who I hate. Ive read two of her books and neither were very good.

Although I do find her attractive but her voice is a bit too posh

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

You're not very good at this trolling business yet are you? Of with yous to gibbis to train.

I've been here longer than you newbie.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Big Taff Man posted:

Yeah I can think of great comedy actresses but not any stand ups who I like. I dont like Sarah Silverman tbh.

Hear, hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNQQwg_CLts

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

goatface posted:

Have we finally reached the point in this discussion where we can say "It's almost like humour is a subjective experience"?

I read somewhere that it's because a lot of shared experiences or something

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I mean no one says that harry hill isn't a good ventriloquist when he does the thing with Stouffer. It doesn't matter because the material is funny. Let's extend the same courtesy to this woman and congrats to her for making it against the odds I say.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Burqa King posted:

I mean no one says that harry hill isn't a good ventriloquist when he does the thing with Stouffer. It doesn't matter because the material is funny. Let's extend the same courtesy to this woman and congrats to her for making it against the odds I say.

Harry Hill isn't a good ventriloquist when he does the thing with Stouffer

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Big Taff Man posted:

Is there like a list of female comedians because I just tried to think of one I like and I couldnt, but thats more because I was thinking of the ones I hate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:British_women_comedians

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Women_comedians

While the only lists of female stand ups I could find were all pretty terrible clickbait sites with lists drawn out over a dozen or more pages, Wikipedia nearly always has lists for that kind of thing - though I'm not sure how many of those regularly perform stand-up. Some of them may never have for all I know and could be listed just because they primarily do comedy shows. I also wasn't aware Ruby Wax was a British Citizen until now. I doubt there's many of them that have DVD's for sale of full length shows, but you can find bits and pieces of them on Youtube. Katherine Ryan is another I found quite funny when she appeared on Live at the Apollo.

Burqa King posted:

Personally, I think that people saying 'i def respect women, its just uhhh her ventriloquist skills arent up to scratch' should take a long look in the mirror. For it is only in the mirror that you will find someone who will believe that - yourself.

You are of course, completely correct. I had merely deluded myself in to thinking that I liked and respected quite a few other women. The laughter that I had gotten out of other female comedians and actresses over the years nothing but an elaborate ruse to cover my basic problem. Thank god your precision argument that disliking one female comedian for a perceived lack of skill and difference in personal taste has burst that bubble. Until now I thought I just didn't like her professionally, when really it turns out I hate all women personally. This revelation will, I assure you, change my life.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Morgan Murphy

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Bridget Christie is A) a Woman, B)Does stand up comedy, C) is funny and great and D) very hot.

She flirted with me at a show she did a couple of weeks ago. Well, asked my name, so that's pretty much the same thing.

Also she is married to Stewart Lee, which isnt important but kind of is, so I'll mention it.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Ugh Im a bit annoyed by this because I dont like any of these and now I feel mysogenistic as hell, I love women as well so I'm definitely not sexist

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Big Taff Man posted:

Ugh Im a bit annoyed by this because I dont like any of these and now I feel mysogenistic as hell, I love women as well so I'm definitely not sexist

You've displayed enough distaste for men in even the few pages that I've read of this thread that you probably have issues with them too if Burqa King is anyone to go by, so at least you're an equal opportunity hater if that's any consolation.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Being married to Stewart Lee would be my worst nightmare, were I female.

Imagine trying to watch the 6 o'clock news without a boring 5 minute rant about every news story.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

tsob posted:

You've displayed enough distaste for men in even the few pages that I've read of this thread that you probably have issues with them too if Burqa King is anyone to go by, so at least you're an equal opportunity hater if that's any consolation.

Thats a relief, theres plenty of men and women in UK TV thread that I love, and plenty that I hate and this threads the ideal output for my thoughts on UK TV and the people who are on it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Whorelord posted:

also why does david mitchell look like he has a bleeding lip in this weeks WILTY

Rob Brydon punched him just before going on air

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I think the person who took twice as many words as my post to agree with it really sarcastically is protesting too much.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I quite liked nina conti until i realised she was a woman

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Burqa King posted:

I think the person who took twice as many words as my post to agree with it really sarcastically is protesting too much.

I decided to try a different tack after calling your point stupid and then explaining why failed to dissuade you. I could try a different method, but I doubt it'd be any more likely to produce results either. Unfortunately, I must therefor consign myself to disliking you, for the rather petty reasons that (a) you hold stupid view points and (b) can't argue them very well, even relative to my own fumbling efforts. Assuming you're male, this then means that I obviously have a problem with all men because I dislike one of them - since that's how it works for women and I want to treat them equally. What a sad and horrible person I am.

Also, it's not so much (or at least, not just) protesting, as taking the piss out of. An easy target sure, but it provides some small, simple pleasure all the same.

Russ
Dec 17, 2005

Chimping around, kick my brains round the floor
These are the days - it never rains but it pours

The Big Taff Man posted:

Harry Hill isn't a good ventriloquist when he does the thing with Stouffer

That's right taff, you help

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I used to like Lucy Porter on panel shows, but haven't seen her on one in a while.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I can't think of that many funny stand up comedians regardless of gender. French and Saunders, Ab fab, Drop the dead Donkey, 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps and Miranda all have great comedians on so more or less.

Has anybody seen 'The Kitchen' on bbc 1 or 2? When reality television first started sneer artists liked to say how it wasn't real enough and now we live in an age of Gogglebox and The Kitchen. Although The Kitchen is practically unwatchable by how cringey and cuddly it is. It's a documentary about how people act when people film them cooking, which combines all the ideas of Sartre, Pinter and Come Dine With Me taken to the extreme in it's sheer banality.

justcola fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Who cares whether she's a good or a bad ventriloquist, ventriloquism is pretty much never funny regardless of quality.

There are plenty of funny women in general, though. Most of the ones I can think of seem to be mostly radio rather than TV eg Sandi Toksvig.