Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I found the worst mission ever. It's one of those "allied captains can't flee" missions where there are a million enemies with high morale, all of the enemy captains are Moblins or Redeads, Volga is an enemy VIP, Zant is the enemy commander, and then you fight the Imprisoned after that, and you have to do all of this as Fi. This mission sucks.

e: There's a Cucco that follows you too.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

I found the worst mission ever. It's one of those "allied captains can't flee" missions where there are a million enemies with high morale, all of the enemy captains are Moblins or Redeads, Volga is an enemy VIP, Zant is the enemy commander, and then you fight the Imprisoned after that, and you have to do all of this as Fi. This mission sucks.

e: There's a Cucco that follows you too.

YES this one is absolutely garbage. Thankfully it is totally isolated and you only get a heart container for A-ranking it so gently caress that I'm never touching it again.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

JavaJesus posted:

Last week I posted an Open Office spreadsheet to track badge creation, and this week I finished the replacement that the spreadsheet sorely needed: Using actual programming languages to make a tracker that doesn't suck! Similar to the spreadsheet it does have one slight drawback in that if you want your completed badges and material counts to persist even after you close and reopen the page you'll have to make an account on my site. But since it's pretty much the most rudimentary account system that can still be called an account system, you don't actually need anything beyond a username and password...

Thanks a ton for this. I really liked the spreadsheet, but this looks like it'll be even easier to use! I'll let you know if I notice anything not working correctly.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I just realized that if they ever really did a Mushroom Warriors game, they could totally use the art style from Mario Strikers Charged.

Suddenly I can see it.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So, is there some resource to help me figure out how to trigger these hard mode Skulltulas? Like, I'm on the Twilight Realm level and I have the weapon they want (books) and I've killed over 2000 guys and I'm basically about to beat the level and no skulltula. What gives?

I've been using this list but I'm not sure how accurate it is since I've just started going for them.

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/wiki/Hyrule_Warriors_Gold_Skulltulas

It's a hell of a lot better than figuring out that I need to wait for ??? and then fight them again after ??? happens.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Just did Zelda's level 2 Baton mission... and it was magical. After failing once due to taking too much time, and again due to too much damage, I shelled out for Magical Armor III and Din's Fire III and caught every enemy captain in an infinite lightning juggle until they died. Except for Volga, he was fast enough to get out of it and actually threaten me.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Any advice on the Hard skultulla at lake Hylia?

It gives you 3 minutes to kill King Dodongo and Sheik must survive, but even full HP Sheik just melts in a minute and I can't seem to get any decent damage on Dodongo with Impa. Grind more or is there a trick to it?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

BioTech posted:

Any advice on the Hard skultulla at lake Hylia?

It gives you 3 minutes to kill King Dodongo and Sheik must survive, but even full HP Sheik just melts in a minute and I can't seem to get any decent damage on Dodongo with Impa. Grind more or is there a trick to it?

Try to leave some regular guys in the center of the temple so that Sheik has to wade through them to get to the boss, and remember that Focus Spirit can instantly knock down large bosses.

Also Impa's rank 3 sword is pretty easy to get, and more damage helps a lot.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I can't stop playing this game. It's addicting and frustrating and satisfying at the same time. I'm struggling here and there, I still haven't gotten Agitha unlocked yet and getting A-rank in some missions just seems like a distant dream right now.

This game is all kinds of right though. It's pretty amazing, and I love how perfectly well-suited Zelda was for this sort of gameplay. I hope this is a partnership that continues, perhaps in a sequel if the DLC doesn't cover the whole gamut of the franchise, but even if this is stand-alone, I'd love another collaboration between Nintendo and Tecmo down the line, maybe in an original IP.

blue font
Feb 28, 2011

Psyker posted:

Beat Zelda's r2 baton mission pretty easily...

by plugging in a second controller, leaving Zelda in the keep, and mowing through everything with my level 99 Link.

You might say that's cheating, but they said repeatedly that the Hero's greatest strength is the power of friendship.

The only problem I've had with this method is reaching 1200 kills within the time limit. Performance is a lot worse in co-op, there are less enemies on screen at once, plus they take longer to respawn and in smaller numbers when you're clearing out hordes of them, ultimately making keeps or other objectives take a lot longer to finish.

Maybe there's a secret to helping the performance of the 'lead' character, like stashing P1 in a corner somewhere with no friends or enemies to render.

Either way it looks like I'm going to give this another try, at least for Agatha and (cringe) Zant's missions.

blue font fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 20, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Is the Zelda baton mission in the corner near the Great Fairy the one everyone has been complaining about? That one only took me like two tries with my level 40 Zelda. I got it easier than I got Link's Level 3 Fire Rod! I find it way harder to A rank most of the other level 3 weapons, and I still can't even break through to that big mass of red on the upper left side of the map. Maybe the baton and I get just get along well, or else I'm just terrible at everything else. :v:

Does that plugging in a second controller work on all the tiles? If so, Sheik is going to be helping a lot of people on anything involving the Imprisoned and Link is going to be doing a lot of Adventure Battles.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I will never stop laughing at the game when it asks me to play as Volga.

Just did the top right panel with his alt colors on it (which are lame, was hoping for blue but the orange looks too similar) and he just tore through the map with 1300+ kills in about 5 minutes. He's just waaay too goddamn strong.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Alacron posted:

remember that Focus Spirit can instantly knock down large bosses.

How exactly does this work? Activating focus spirit will make a boss trigger their seal? Or is it ending it?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Oxyclean posted:

How exactly does this work? Activating focus spirit will make a boss trigger their seal? Or is it ending it?

If you end it with a full or nearly full bar, it triggers the seal.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Every character has two big end of focus spirit attacks. If you just let it run out it does a huge AOE that does a lot of damage. But if you press X anywhere before it actually runs out they'll do their weak point stun attack. It works on both giant bosses and captains, though of the latter there's not much point of using it except against the actual playable characters.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

Every character has two big end of focus spirit attacks. If you just let it run out it does a huge AOE that does a lot of damage. But if you press X anywhere before it actually runs out they'll do their weak point stun attack. It works on both giant bosses and captains, though of the latter there's not much point of using it except against the actual playable characters.

Because I am a big doofus, that's pretty much all that I use focus spirit on. I go into the keep at the end of every Adventure Battle and open with the focus spirit special combo, smack down the weak point gauge, then follow it up by hitting with a special two-three times, depending on how far they are with their badges. It usually leaves the person in the keep at about half for the level I'm playing at now, which is a lot easier to chip away.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

RyokoTK posted:

If you end it with a full or nearly full bar, it triggers the seal.

I learn something new about this game every day.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Because I am a big doofus, that's pretty much all that I use focus spirit on. I go into the keep at the end of every Adventure Battle and open with the focus spirit special combo, smack down the weak point gauge, then follow it up by hitting with a special two-three times, depending on how far they are with their badges. It usually leaves the person in the keep at about half for the level I'm playing at now, which is a lot easier to chip away.

No that's what I do too. I just meant that it's not really using the weakpoint exposure on something like an aerolfos or whatever since if you're in focus spirit fighting them, you might as well just let it run all the way out and do more damage with the big AOE at the end.

Although, something that can make it a bit easier, is don't immediately blow your weakpoint exposure attack right away. Remember, Focus Spirit has other benefits like doing more damage, breaking guards, and slowing down enemies. What I usually do is activate it right when I enter the final keep, pound away on the boss for a few combos and then activate their weakpoint.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Something that helps is trying to check to see what kind of pots are in the keeps you take that are close to your end goal, too. If there's a green one sitting in a keep, you can always blow your focus spirit to get a speed and attack boost for that inevitable moment when the Allied Base can't clean up a few Lizalfos and need your help, then smack the green jar on way back to the Enemy Base. There's a chance it will be just the 20%, though.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Dear Nintendo , please patch Mandalhala out of the game.

Thank you

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Could someone give a quick primer on Volga to make me good with him? Don't get me wrong, I can see that he's great, but he's just not clicking for me. What's the deal with his strong attack and combo finishers? His weapon description is kind of vague, and sometimes I can make his strong attack break weak points, but not consistently.

Also, holy poo poo Wizzro's 360 bullet spin attack chews through loving weak points if you're standing right up on the boss. Apparently the hit box for each bullet completely encompasses Wizzro at first, so you end up hitting the boss a hundred times in the span of a second.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I don't use strong attack at all with Volga. BBBY is your crowd clearer, and BBY does really good damage against captains so I basically just spam that over and over, using regular B attacks to break their weak points.

Against giant bosses, BBY completely wrecks them and I'm pretty sure you can one-cycle every boss (except Imprisoned, obviously) with it.

e:

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Dear Nintendo , please patch Mandalhala out of the game.

Thank you

Manhandla is super ineffectual and probably the second-easiest boss aside from Argorok. You can block the seed spit attack, and once I figured that out I never take damage from Manhandla ever.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 20, 2014

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Dear Nintendo , please patch MandalhalaImprisoned out of the game.

Thank you

ftfy

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ya'll are terrible at spelling "Gohma"!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Silver Falcon posted:

Ya'll are terrible at spelling "Gohma"!

Gohma just needs less RNG for it's beam weapon trigger

Imprisoned is just awful unless you have full special attack bars

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Is this the map to which all the guides refer to?

http://www.kasuto.net/image/zelda1/z1overworld_2.gif

I.e., to unlock Ghirahim, go to square 7-C?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gohma is usually pretty good about using one of his beam attacks for me. Sometimes it feels like it's all he'll use. King Dodongo can be a real fucker though, it feels like harder difficulty version of him just seem to love to spam the roar and stomp.

Imprisoned isn't too bad on his own, but quite annoying if paired with almost anything else that doesn't go down quick. Particularly so in the challenge battles where you're locked to a small arena. Also I hate that he has to do that stupid "wriggle around on the ground" attack after every time you knock him down.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Gohma just needs less RNG for it's beam weapon trigger

Imprisoned is just awful unless you have full special attack bars

Gohma is the loving worst on any "Kill X enemies in Y minutes" missions. The fucker is way too fast, has way too much range, and will pursue you relentlessly. Killing her takes too long to get an A rank. She sucks.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Gohma is the loving worst on any "Kill X enemies in Y minutes" missions. The fucker is way too fast, has way too much range, and will pursue you relentlessly. Killing her takes too long to get an A rank. She sucks.

I've honestly never had a problem killing gohmas in those. If you have specials available you can do a weakness attack on her basically every down, and it should only take one or two.

I'm just glad the imprisoned never shows up in those.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

chumbler posted:

Let me tell you about the top left corner.....

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

chumbler posted:

I've honestly never had a problem killing gohmas in those. If you have specials available you can do a weakness attack on her basically every down, and it should only take one or two.

Top left corner requires 1000 KOs and spawns four Imprisoned, have fun with that poo poo.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm pretty much only going to play those "defeat x mobs in 10 minutes" coop from now on, with one of us dealing with the giant bosses and the other killing mobs

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I feel like there's something seriously wrong with me. Everyone in this thread seems to say that Ganondorf's level 3 mission is crazy easy, but it's giving me serious trouble. Everything seems like a huge damage sponge and I can't really kill the elite moblins quickly enough to make the 15 minute mark while staying safe enough to keep damage low. I'm level 38 with 3 star level 2 swords -- do I have to just suck it up and grind for a bit, or is there some vital strategy that I'm not seeing?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Manhandla is a joke on its own but any of the maps where two spawn on top of each other can be a nightmare, especially if there's other giant bosses around. Dealing with two of those fuckers while an Argorok is flying around over your head is a special kind of hell.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Not a Children posted:

I feel like there's something seriously wrong with me. Everyone in this thread seems to say that Ganondorf's level 3 mission is crazy easy, but it's giving me serious trouble. Everything seems like a huge damage sponge and I can't really kill the elite moblins quickly enough to make the 15 minute mark while staying safe enough to keep damage low. I'm level 38 with 3 star level 2 swords -- do I have to just suck it up and grind for a bit, or is there some vital strategy that I'm not seeing?

You could stand to be a bit higher level. The level 3 weapon stages are mostly geared to mid-40s or low 50s. Just pump him full of rupees, you shouldn't really need to grind.

That said yeah his stage is filled with some seriously beefy enemies. Focus on killing only what you need to. Avoid using his combo attacks and instead just wail on the moblins with regular attacks and go for weakpoint breaks. You can rack up kills extremely quickly by using his final combo attack when you're surrounded only by mooks.

Also don't get caught up with fighting Dark Agitha. Do a bit of damage to her and let Zant take care of her. She'll just stay over there for the whole mission and won't cause you trouble and shouldn't be able to kill Zant.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 20, 2014

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Not a Children posted:

I'm totally in the same boat.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
For those who play co-op and haven't noticed, if you stick together the game runs just like one player so it can render more mobs. :ssh:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Naerasa posted:

Manhandla is a joke on its own but any of the maps where two spawn on top of each other can be a nightmare, especially if there's other giant bosses around. Dealing with two of those fuckers while an Argorok is flying around over your head is a special kind of hell.

This is real problem with Manhandla and Gohma. It's not even really a problem in the stages where you have to fight multiple bosses, it's the stages where you basically have to ignore them so you can get your kills on time. Two Gohmas rushing around firing eye lasers at everyone really want your attention! Manhandla is fine except that he spins all over the stage.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Locke Dunnegan posted:

For those who play co-op and haven't noticed, if you stick together the game runs just like one player so it can render more mobs. :ssh:

But then he whines that I'm stealing all his mobs :|

I just unlocked Ruto's 25k Legendary on a weapon this morning, I'm loving the "kill as many as you can in 6 mins" Master Quest map for it. XXY spam through mobs of enemies, and I learned that if you run over a magic potion while under the effects of magic it'll add more time to the meter- I guess that might be covered in one of the Legend Mode maps, but I haven't played the beginning few yet... it was nifty to get 300-400 per, could probably get that 1k medal if I go around killing magic dropping things and then chain them all toward the end, hmm...

Really liking this game :3:

Edit- oh and Ruto's Standard Outfit for Master Quest is awesome. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I've got the Master Quest DLC but I'm less than halfway done with the stock Adventure Mode. I would kind of like to get all of the costumes before proceeding with the longer Adventure Mode map. Is this feasible? Some of the Master Quest map segments seem a bit hard.

• Locked thread