Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

What are you trying to do where this is a concern?

Expanding gas blowing off the top. Probably highly unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Has anyone done a corned beef/silverside sous vide? I want to try do one soon, my butcher gets fantastic local meat and they do amazing smallgoods so I'm sure their silverside would be good. If so, cooking temps/times?

fuckwolf
Oct 2, 2014

by Pragmatica
Searzalls are available for order on Amazon now.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

fuckwolf posted:

That kinda irks me. I still haven't seen an email, and given Prime I would probably receive a Searzall faster if I ordered it from Amazon now.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just checked my ups tracking info

UPS posted:

A late UPS trailer arrival has caused a delay. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible. / Delivery will be rescheduled.

Looks like I won't be searing as soon as I had hoped.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

.Z. posted:

That kinda irks me. I still haven't seen an email, and given Prime I would probably receive a Searzall faster if I ordered it from Amazon now.

Same. I got my email last night but I wouldn't have waited really any longer to get it if I had kept my money.

Oh well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That sucks.

And I still haven't gotten a shipping email.

Dave Arnold you butt :argh:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 16, 2014

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

fuckwolf posted:

This item does not ship to Waterloo, Canada.

Oh well.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I can't find them on Amazon - I think they're just going through fulfillment there.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

They just sent this out:

quote:

Dear Backers,

We were extremely disturbed to learn that Amazon decided to start selling the extra inventory of Searzalls without our authorization prior to completing the fulfillment of your orders. Rest assured, we have removed the listing that was posted, and Amazon has cancelled all pending orders. Also rest assured that Amazon has enough Searzalls in inventory to fulfill all of your orders. We do not think it is appropriate to sell ANY Searzalls until ALL the Kickstarter and Shopstarter orders have been shipped and we never intended to.

Booker and Dax

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

Chemmy posted:

They just sent this out:

quote:

quote:

Dear Backers,

We were extremely disturbed to learn that Amazon decided to start selling the extra inventory of Searzalls without our authorization prior to completing the fulfillment of your orders. Rest assured, we have removed the listing that was posted, and Amazon has cancelled all pending orders. Also rest assured that Amazon has enough Searzalls in inventory to fulfill all of your orders. We do not think it is appropriate to sell ANY Searzalls until ALL the Kickstarter and Shopstarter orders have been shipped and we never intended to.

Booker and Dax

Just got this from Amazon so they are getting canceled, bastards.

quote:

Hello,

We're very sorry to inform you that won't be able to fulfill one or more items from the following order(s) due to a technical error. We have canceled items from the Order(s) listed below:

105-8772095-9845857
B00L2P0KNO

We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.

We value your business and hope that we’ll see you again at Amazon.com.

Sincerely,

Customer Service
Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/

Please note: this e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

No Wave posted:

I can't find them on Amazon - I think they're just going through fulfillment there.

It showed in stock with Prime shipping a few hours ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Booker-and-Dax-Searzall/dp/B00L2P0KNO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1413474417&sr=8-7&keywords=searzall

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, they were listing units for sale that had already been promised to backers apparently. GG amazon.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah, they were listing units for sale that had already been promised to backers apparently. GG amazon.

Read the message again, it was the excess stock being sold. Not the already paid for kickstarter/shopstarter units. Whether intentional or by accident, it wouldn't have impacted backers getting their units. Just pissed people off, which it did.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
It is pretty cool that amazon got the excess stock before the people who actually funded the thing.

So for those of yall who have one, is the searzall THAT much better than just using a cast iron pan?

edit: vvv oh.... well. this is embarrassing.

Foodahn fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 17, 2014

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Foodahn posted:

It is pretty cool that amazon got the excess stock before the people who actually funded the thing.

Yeah that is kind of expected seeing how Amazon is the one handling the actual shipment of the Searzalls to backers.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Foodahn posted:

So for those of yall who have one, is the searzall THAT much better than just using a cast iron pan?

Probably the same for steaks, but there are a lot applications that the searzall can do that a pan might not.. delicate things you don't want smushed (like smores), and broiling round foods (like porchettas or turkeys).

You can also see how cooked the meat is as it's cooking, which takes some guesswork out

It's also handy as a portable broiler if your oven's broiler sucks and is underneath the main chamber instead of inside the roof of the main chamber.

edit: finally got my notification :toot:

estimated delivery date: Oct 23 :tootzzz:

Did anyone order the $200 package? It looks like those and the higher tiers are the only ones with recipe books

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 16, 2014

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
I ordered it from Amazon as soon as I saw it come up and got a shipping notice with a tracking number this morning saying that it will be here Saturday. Apparently if you got it soon enough for Amazon to have processed it they just let it slide.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got mine this morning, and I'm on the other side of the country from point of origin (which was Phoenix). Am I the only one?

Edit: I can't remember what I read a few days ago, at least someone else itt has one

Hed fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 17, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mine is at home waiting for me. I picked up some camping tanks of propane because I don't want to have to hold the drat thing til it cools down. Something is getting seared tonight.

And if I can get good lamb, I'm gonna sv some chops, then bread them and get them all crispy with this.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004
I just got mine and it's pretty great. Installation was easy and seasoning wasn't bad (although watch your hand placement because it gets hot as gently caress). Using a propane tank I had; I have a few Map tanks but I wanted to see how long cool down takes first. It's long enough to be a pain in the rear end to just sit around holding the thing but for how hot it gets its relatively cool in under 5 minutes and safe to handle the actual searzall attachment in about 10.

I searzalled a brioche bun I had laying around and then melted some cheese on it. Works very well but practice on something less important because I wrecked the first piece of bread. After like 10 seconds it very quickly goes from no visible toasting to black. No off flavors that I normally associate with the torch so far either.

I've got a leg of lamb in my water bath right now that should be done in a few hours, will post pics after

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012
Okay so in the interest of making sure everything's safe and hot, I'd like to run through my first sv meal so I'm sure I got the process down.

• Get 3-4 flatiron steaks, season and stick them in a 131 degree water bath for 3-5 hours.
• Lower it to 125 degrees and stick the mashed potato puree from this recipe for the half hour it requires.
• Evacuate the water bath and get the potatoes up to temp in a pot, then sear the steaks and serve.

Do these times and temperatures sound about right? I'm mainly curious if the steaks will be tender enough and if being at 125 plus searing the outside means I won't be serving them lukewarm.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Hi, I came to post that Anova is finally shipping, meaning I should have my five cookers in the next month or so assuming everyone is still interested! I saw someone already said this but had some other things to say!

1) I like shopping and already have everything I want so I feel like I should get a Searzall, if I don't already have a torch what exactly is best to use it with in terms of gas + torch?

2:

McSpergin posted:

Has anyone done a corned beef/silverside sous vide? I want to try do one soon, my butcher gets fantastic local meat and they do amazing smallgoods so I'm sure their silverside would be good. If so, cooking temps/times?
Sous vide corned beef is loving amazing, I've done that more than anything else besides ordinary ribeyes, just leave it in the bag with seasoning etc (don't buy one of the ones that puts the seasoning in a little packet) and throw it right in the pot out of the fridge/freezer, no need to repackage, it is literally as easy to cook as a hot pocket or kraft dinner but tastes a million times better and isn't revolting.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/how-to-make-corned-beef-st-patricks-day-simmering-brisket-meat-the-food-lab.html is a really really nice and thorough writeup of what you can do with it.

I've tried higher temps for a more conventional product, but I really really like 160 degrees for 36 hours, it's like nothing else, kind of like what you can do with SV short ribs. Its texture is more or less like cool butter, soft and dense. I don't bother broiling it or anything after because I mean, normally people just boil them anyway right? Save the juice when you cut the bag open, it's enough to cook cabbage in and will make loving awesome cabbage/carrots/whatever, you might have to add just like a cup of water.

Straker fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 18, 2014

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

McSpergin posted:

Do it, it's one of the best SV things I have ever made. I stocked up on like 20lbs of corned been when it was on super sale for like 99c a pound after St. Pattys day and made it for a few weeks. I think I posed about it here. It turns out absolutely amazing. Pretty sure I did 160 for like 36 or 48 hours.

E:

155 for 40 hours was shooting for 48 but I'm bad at math and it would have been done in like the middle of the night.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Straker posted:

Hi, I came to post that Anova is finally shipping, meaning I should have my five cookers in the next month or so assuming everyone is still interested! I saw someone already said this but had some other things to say!

1) I like shopping and already have everything I want so I feel like I should get a Searzall, if I don't already have a torch what exactly is best to use it with in terms of gas + torch?

They explicitly state that they only support the Bernzomatic ts4000 and ts8000 heads on a 16.4oz propane cylinder (although apparently it will work with other gasses, the 16.4oz camping cylinder is wide enough to support the additional weight on the head)

edit: searzall!

Butterflied lamb leg, seasoned and 136F for 24 hours:

Searing:

Post-sear:

Plated:

I added some pressure cooked carrots and a simple sauce of balsamic, honey, and the bag juice but I forgot to take a picture. Searing takes slightly longer than a naked torch but the "torch taste" is non-existant. Definitely a great product assuming the screens either last a long time or are cheap to replace. Does take a bit of practice to get the feel down though, some places on the lamb are a bit over done and under done but not charcoal-ey

granpa yum fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 19, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
That's the thinnest, most defined crust I've seen on a steak.

Maybe buttering or oiling up the surface would help distribute heat and caramelize the crust?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

That's the thinnest, most defined crust I've seen on a steak.

Maybe buttering or oiling up the surface would help distribute heat and caramelize the crust?

Possibly? I'm wondering if it's just a matter of getting used to how a searzall applies the heat.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Okay, now I "get" what the point of the searzall is. Pretty cool!

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

.Z. posted:

Possibly? I'm wondering if it's just a matter of getting used to how a searzall applies the heat.

Definitely a big factor. The orange glow it casts makes seeing what you're doing a bit tough with certain items (toast was certainly much easier) but even without that there's definitely a "feel" to it.

I didn't think about oil; I remember seeing a video where they did a chicken breast and brushed it with oil prior to searing so it's probably a good idea.

This thing is just insane for cheese though, that alone makes it worthwhile to me. With the right touch you get that perfect food artist tv ad kind of melting or you can push a bit more and get really nice browning as well.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Straker posted:

Still interested, and very freakin excited to finally get my puddle on! I think you may have just convinced me that corned beef should be the first thing I make.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

Kind of lovely they blamed amazon for loving up when fulfillment by amazon doesn't actually allow that to happen in the first place unless the customer that sends amazon the inventory explicitly enables it from the web portal.

I sell stuff on amazon and I know the exact button they hit to do that.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Straker posted:

Hi, I came to post that Anova is finally shipping, meaning I should have my five cookers in the next month or so assuming everyone is still interested!

Definitely still interested.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Has anyone else who should be getting a searzall not received any type of shipping notification yet?

The last one I've gotten is from the 9th, and that was saying they existed, not even the bullshit Amazon done goofed email.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Straker posted:

Hi, I came to post that Anova is finally shipping, meaning I should have my five cookers in the next month or so assuming everyone is still interested!

Also still interested, thank you.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Mr. Wookums posted:

Has anyone else who should be getting a searzall not received any type of shipping notification yet?

The last one I've gotten is from the 9th, and that was saying they existed, not even the bullshit Amazon done goofed email.

You should get an email from fba-customer-ship-confirm@amazon.com with subject "Your Booker and Dax order has shipped (Order-xxxxxx-xx)"

The seasoning step was kind of frightening in my tiny kitchen. The orange flames were licking up mighty high, so I was eagerly counting the seconds down. Post-seasoning I am getting a tighter blue flame, so it's not worrying me anymore.

I torched the skin side of some salmon tonight. Actually prefer pan finishing in this case, but at least there is zero torch taste. I'll do a steak tomorrow or the day after. Will post pics if they're not embarrassing.

wasey
Apr 6, 2009

Straker posted:

I'm still interested, thanks Straker!

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

geetee posted:

I'll do a steak tomorrow or the day after. Will post pics if they're not embarrassing.

Pretty much hosed this up, but sharing to help others avoid my mistakes.

It took too long to brown, so I ended up cooking it past medium (puddled at 130F for an hour). I lost complete sense of time while torching. I was to busy focusing my brainpower on not setting the apartment on fire. I'm going to try getting closer next time to speed it up. I thought I was only an inch above, but maybe not.

I also need to get a better rack because this one leaves the meat sitting in its juices. All my cooling racks are nonstick coated and will most definitely melt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqZEDydQ_JE
This lovely video is over 5 minutes long with nothing interesting to speak of. It's also out of focus because I'm a dumbass and forgot to refocus the camera once the steak was on the pan. The pan is in perfect focus.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hey uhhhh my spacer is ever so slightly less than 1/8 of an inch thick, like exactly 3mm instead of 3.25mm. Should I go by the thickness of the included spacer or the stated measurement of the spacer

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Double post

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Where are Canadians getting Cambro containers? I've only ever seen them at a couple of restaurant supply places that either sell in packs of six or are incredibly expensive. I have the Rubbermaid equivalent of the standard 12x18x9 Cambro, but it's annoying as poo poo because the Anova clip doesn't clear the lip properly, so the only option is to leave it hanging loose. I can't even find the little poly containers people use for cooking small items.