Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

ullerrm posted:

Rorqual: They're aware that it's lackluster atm. Redesign is in early stages; no promises at this stage.

No kidding. I used to compress ice in remote locations with a Rorq. I needed a small POS to keep the Rorq in it while compressing. Now I just drop the compression module and the Rorq moves ore to it.

Maybe they should let the Rorq compress ores on a station undock at a cost of heavy water with every use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

xilni posted:

Any news of Rorqual or Marauder changes? They both seem quite lackluster at the moment.

Marauders were redone less than a year ago? They are mission grinding ships now and are quite good at it.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

BigPaddy posted:

Marauders were redone less than a year ago? They are mission grinding ships now and are quite good at it.

Some of them are definitely better than others, though.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
The new Glass cannon turrets would be a boon on long range ships like Apocs in PVE settings where everything is supposed to die before they get into their optimal range anyways. Now the question is how well would they be for things like structure grinds?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

SugarAddict posted:

The new Glass cannon turrets would be a boon on long range ships like Apocs in PVE settings where everything is supposed to die before they get into their optimal range anyways. Now the question is how well would they be for things like structure grinds?

Glass cannons only come in short range variants from what I've seen.

Beanage
Oct 17, 2014
So I used to use the gently caress out of battleclinic for load outs whenever i came back to eve from a long break. Was searching though some fits for some quick pve to get back in the flow of things (all my other ships where left in 0.0) but the fits only have like 3-4 votes tops. What is everyone using now? Or should I just say gently caress it and only use EFT.
Looking for pve fits, L4, burners, maybe some wh fits, and whatever this faction warfare stuff is, really need to read more about that.

Beanage fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 20, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Slashrat posted:

Glass cannons only come in short range variants from what I've seen.

'Short range' is a kind of vague term when pulse apocs can hit out to over 90 km and navy omens can zap tacklers at 45.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Anybody that doesn't dual tank and mix guns is a fool. :colbert:

Beanage
Oct 17, 2014

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Anybody that doesn't dual tank and mix guns is a fool. :colbert:

If I have a damage control does that mean I'm dual tanking?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Beanage posted:

If I have a damage control does that mean I'm dual tanking?

no it means you are TRIPLE TANKING :gowron:

Beanage
Oct 17, 2014

Glory of Arioch posted:

no it means you are TRIPLE TANKING :gowron:

Boss mode unlocked.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

uh zip zoom posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but what game is that?

As someone who has played Sins of a Solar empire WAY too much I can confirm the above posters post on the last page

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Siets posted:

So why are glass cannon turrets being added to the game in the first place. They feel sort of... just like a random idea.

Basically what I'm asking is, what was the impetus in the game that prompted for their design? What is it they are solving by existing?

That's kind of the stated point of it. They want to throw in some random poo poo that they don't know fully how it will affect the meta (because they admit they are worse at it than the body of players), but it will do something!

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

darnon posted:

That's kind of the stated point of it. They want to throw in some random poo poo that they don't know fully how it will affect the meta (because they admit they are worse at it than the body of players), but it will do something!

It's called Stochastic Patching, and I'm glad they're going with it. It was absurdly hubristic on CCP's part to think they could make well thought out changes and build on the game in a logical manner, in a way that the community wouldn't metagame to hell and back. Best to throw poo poo at the wall; see what sticks, let what doesn't slide off.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Narciss posted:

It's called Stochastic Patching, and I'm glad they're going with it. It was absurdly hubristic on CCP's part to think they could make well thought out changes and build on the game in a logical manner, in a way that the community wouldn't metagame to hell and back. Best to throw poo poo at the wall; see what sticks, let what doesn't slide off.

The problem is when said poo poo on the wall takes years to slide down until it ultimately rots and mutates into something other than poo poo and CCP forgets about it completely. That is until the players prop up a threadnaught complaining about the mutant fungi monster growing on the wall that is ruining the bathroom for everybody.

See: AoE doomsdays and sentry drones. It took them years to remove the former and they still don't know what the gently caress to do about the latter.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Narciss posted:

Best to throw poo poo at the wall; see what sticks, let what doesn't slide off.

Sounds rather like most of your troll attempts. :)

I'm not sure where this will fit in the meta; however, I'm pretty confident that it's going to not make a huge change. It's going to add a little bit of variety for people who want to try random crap on small scales. Won't affect how most Goons play, either positively or negatively.

Clearly, such concepts are inherently terrible; everyone should be doled out the exact same amount of Crispy Enjoyment Nodules at all times. PICK UP THAT CARGO CAN, CAPSULEER

edit:

On a sharper note, this process is hardly new. CCP has been doing this for years -- namely, experimenting with the sandbox by tossing in modules in limited quantities via BPCs in the droptables, see what the player base responds to, and crank up the drop rate on the modules that the players like.

In some cases, players have responded extremely positively to it, and it became a dominant meta -- i.e. MJDs and ASB/AARs.
In some cases, players didn't care, they buffed it, and now it's interesting without being dominant -- i.e. Reactive Armor Hardeners, or Ascendancy hardwires.
In some cases, it was poo poo and they forgot that it exists -- i.e. Target Spectrum Hardeners.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 20, 2014

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think that the glass cannons will be really good for certain kinds of cloaky bullshit.

Sixx Spades
Aug 16, 2013

While sitting at one of the pubs with Fozzie, I mentioned that some of the older content that was taken out long ago could be restructured with the current code they're working with to do some (old is) new things with it. He joked that Python mines might work if they were remote detonate based (triggered by single action from player) rather than proximity detonate based (pinging server repeatedly for trigger).

A guy can dream, ya know?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Sixx Spades posted:

While sitting at one of the pubs with Fozzie, I mentioned that some of the older content that was taken out long ago could be restructured with the current code they're working with to do some (old is) new things with it. He joked that Python mines might work if they were remote detonate based (triggered by single action from player) rather than proximity detonate based (pinging server repeatedly for trigger).

A guy can dream, ya know?

Space mine fields?

I like.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah, I could dig some space satchel charges. Drop a drag bubble and a grip of space satchel charges on a gate, then wait for idiots to come in.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Glory of Arioch posted:

Yeah, I could dig some space satchel charges. Drop a drag bubble and a grip of space satchel charges on a gate, then wait for idiots to come in.

this combined with that dscan inhibitor could be funny

of course they probably wouldn't let them be used in highsec where they would be the most fun

Sixx Spades
Aug 16, 2013

Before I forget, I also got confirmation from Fozzie that decloaking using moon probes is legit.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Kuvo posted:

this combined with that dscan inhibitor could be funny

of course they probably wouldn't let them be used in highsec where they would be the most fun

But you COULD drop them on an ESS. :getin: :happyelf:

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Sixx Spades posted:

Before I forget, I also got confirmation from Fozzie that decloaking using moon probes is legit.

Wait what?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

pugnax posted:

Wait what?

Things we figured out months ago in Theta but weren't sure if it was safe to use. :)

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Vegas:

Foxfour(?) mentioned dropping the clone upgrade mechanic as something they wanted to do.

Rise wants to (eventually) add a hardcore mode to the game wherein you have a set number of skillpoints, all of your kills/stats are tracked, and you suffer PERMADEATH. :getin:

A pubbie in the game design round table would not loving shut up about wanting to get reimbursed for all of the time he spent improving his blueprints or whatever.

I am an obnoxious drunk.

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 21, 2014

Sixx Spades
Aug 16, 2013

scandoslav posted:

Rise wants to (eventually) add a hardcore mode to the game wherein you have a set number of skillpoints, all of your kills/stats are tracked, and you suffer PERMADEATH. :getin:
Between that and glass canons, it's a good time to be in Miniluv. :quagmire:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

scandoslav posted:

Vegas:

Foxfour(?) mentioned dropping the clone upgrade mechanic as something they wanted to do.

A pubbie in the game design round table would not loving shut up about wanting to get reimbursed for all of the time he spent improving his blueprints or whatever.

I am an obnoxious drunk.

Pubbies are just as insufferable in real life as they are on eve-o/in-game :psyduck:?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Sixx Spades posted:

Between that and glass canons, it's a good time to be in Miniluv. :quagmire:

making GBS threads all over hardcore streamers, all day erry day

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

scandoslav posted:

That's actually neat, multiplayer roguelike of your nightmares.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

ullerrm posted:

Yep. BPCs for them will drop from some new exploration content that they're adding. What we know so far:

* They require a Tech2 turret as input to the BPC, and are expected to sit roughly between T2 and Faction in terms of price/rarity.
* They will be available in frigate/cruiser/battleship sizes at first; short range weapons only.
* Fozzie mentioned off hand that, depending on the amount of time they have to iterate before Phoebe code gets locked down, frigate versions might be in at initial Phoebe launch, and then cruiser/BS later in a minipatch.
* XL-size glass cannons definitely won't be in Phoebe, although they're not strictly off the table. Much balancing would have to be done (plus the fact that there's no T2 XL weapons yet).
* They can use Tech2 ammo.
* They have exceptionally good stats, particularly damage.
* Fitting one or more of them will set one or more armor/shield/hull resists to zero.
* The resist-to-zero mechanic will be an absolute thing and overrides other modules.

The turrets are most likely to be useful for fast ships who primarily mitigate via speed/maneuvering instead of tanking -- Fozzie mentioned the Slicer as a prime example, but I also imagine that the Dramiel and Garmur will also be early key users. Marauders will probably love them as well, as the combination of hull bonuses and Bastion means that they'll have quadruple-strength local tank and can survive despite the lack of resists.

This is odd, and seems like kind of a waste of coding/balancing effort when there are still entire ship classes that haven't been properly balanced yet. The whole setting resists to zero (a random resist? specific to each gun type? in a certain order?) is something that only about a half-dozen ships in the entire game, all frigates, can utilize without facing certain death. If speed were a bit more manipulable, especially for larger ships, this might be a viable if very strange idea, but I don't see anything other than frigates ever using these. Marauders cost way too much to risk zeroing out your resists and being alphaed by two Tornados.

I suppose this is great for people who do nothing but gank single jammed/damped ships, but a complete waste of effort for the rest of the game. Not a very positive indicator of CCP's metagame/balance awareness.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

mikey posted:

This is odd, and seems like kind of a waste of coding/balancing effort when there are still entire ship classes that haven't been properly balanced yet. The whole setting resists to zero (a random resist? specific to each gun type? in a certain order?) is something that only about a half-dozen ships in the entire game, all frigates, can utilize without facing certain death. If speed were a bit more manipulable, especially for larger ships, this might be a viable if very strange idea, but I don't see anything other than frigates ever using these. Marauders cost way too much to risk zeroing out your resists and being alphaed by two Tornados.

I suppose this is great for people who do nothing but gank single jammed/damped ships, but a complete waste of effort for the rest of the game. Not a very positive indicator of CCP's metagame/balance awareness.

They already said the modules are going to be priced similarly to Faction stuff though, right? Is so, the pricing alone should be enough of a deterrent that you won't see very many cheap frigates running full sets of these guns, let alone seeing much ganking with them.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Otacon posted:

They already said the modules are going to be priced similarly to Faction stuff though, right? Is so, the pricing alone should be enough of a deterrent that you won't see very many cheap frigates running full sets of these guns, let alone seeing much ganking with them.

That's my point. This is an almost-useless addition to the game, because so few ships will use it. Cloaking T3s/blackops that are only used for 100% safe ganks, and maybe Garmurs and Slicers? It's not a meaningful choice for 99.9% of situations in Eve. Why are they wasting design and QA time on something like this?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

mikey posted:

It's not a meaningful choice for 99.9% of situations in Eve. Why are they wasting design and QA time on something like this?

Yes, because clearly CCP can only do design and QA for one thing at a time. Clearly, absolutely zero thought, planning, or work can go into recon balancing or T3 balancing or sov or force projection, because the entire CCP dev team was focused on glass cannon turrets. :rolleyes:

There's only thing worse than armchair game designers like me -- and that's armchair project managers.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~
:cripes:
Of course this doesn't mean they're stopping other balancing work, but not every idea (or implementation) is worth the time spent doing coding and content and QA, and this seems like one of those.

I like go-fast shooty shooty ships, so the idea of being able to eke out more damage at the cost of tank is a good one, but this implementation is overly limiting. They should have found a somewhat less prohibitive penalty system for these weapons so that they could be a meaningful choice for more hulls and situations.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

mikey posted:

:cripes:
Of course this doesn't mean they're stopping other balancing work, but not every idea (or implementation) is worth the time spent doing coding and content and QA, and this seems like one of those.

I like go-fast shooty shooty ships, so the idea of being able to eke out more damage at the cost of tank is a good one, but this implementation is overly limiting. They should have found a somewhat less prohibitive penalty system for these weapons so that they could be a meaningful choice for more hulls and situations.

If that's the case, then they'll just iterate on it.

Like I said a page or so ago, CCP did the exact same process with the Inferno modules. They released the modules in a form that's underpowered, or has limited applications, in the form of BPCs. They saw what players did with them, then expanded on the successful ones as they see fit -- as well as nerfing them if they end up being too good. It worked out fine for ASBs and MJDs, and to a lesser extent for the RAH.

The worst case, really, is that these become the new Target Spectrum Breaker. At least these don't have new effects needing to be implemented in code; it's database rows.

(e: And fwiw, that's precisely why the TSB is junk -- it has a custom-coded effect that is buggy as gently caress.)

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~
Did they actually significantly change ASB/AAR attributes? I wasn't playing or paying attention to the game when those were first added.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

mikey posted:

Did they actually significantly change ASB/AAR attributes? I wasn't playing or paying attention to the game when those were first added.

AARs haven't been changed since their introduction to my knowledge but ASBs had their capacity nerfed (they used to hold 13 charges but now only have 9) and their cycle times increased.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

LemonDrizzle posted:

AARs haven't been changed since their introduction to my knowledge but ASBs had their capacity nerfed (they used to hold 13 charges but now only have 9) and their cycle times increased.

They also buffed the SASB/MASB by introducing navy versions of the smaller charges. Was a lot less powerful when navy cap boosters were only 150/200/400/800.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burlinton
Jul 4, 2014
Got this email from one of my old Corps.

"Recently we have actually had several new deaf players join. They have had a few issues with adapting and trying to find ways to participate without being able to use voice comms."

I know I have been on fleets that had some deaf players (Down Trolls, I said deaf, not stupid) and would like to contact some of them to see if they could provide some tips to these folks. Any leads would be great.

Thanks

Burlinton fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 21, 2014

• Locked thread