Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

qbert posted:

I should probably be more careful of noticing things like this in the future, though I doubt anyone would put this much effort into winning an FNM.

You'd be wrong. If anything, cheating is significantly more prevalent at FNM level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

qbert posted:

I should probably be more careful of noticing things like this in the future, though I doubt anyone would put this much effort into winning an FNM.

How do you think it was practiced?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Toshimo posted:

You'd be wrong. If anything, cheating is significantly more prevalent at FNM level.

Bingo. For as many times this guy has cheated other people at SCG events he has probably has x10 that amount at FNM. Hell, its pretty easy to say that is where his best practice for his cheat is done. I would also assume that its more prevalent at the LGS's that stack the prizes at the top of the rankings.

Hell some of the cheating I don't believe you can do anything about.

Multiple sideboards (no decklist)
Pre sideboarding against known opponents (no decklist)
Playing different decks against different opponents (no decklist)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

I find this to be very true. Ever notice the decks in Sunday prereleases are way better than the Friday midnight ones? People are less on the lookout when not as much is on the line. The lengths people will go to for a pack or two is pretty nuts.

Harmonica posted:

Unintentional events like that don't really bare any comparison to intentional cheating, though. And if your point is, 'when you realise you did something wrong, do you own up?' you probably do, because at worst even if you get disqualified or whatever punishment, few people are going to be all 'gently caress that guy who made a mistake and then admitted it when he didn't need to!'

Sure sure. I'm just saying it's hard to be that honest. Presumably if you just notice it in your deckbox afterwards you never drew the SB card, so in theory it had no effect on the game. Do you call the cops on yourself if you smoke weed every once in a while too?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I find this to be very true. Ever notice the decks in Sunday prereleases are way better than the Friday midnight ones? People are less on the lookout when not as much is on the line. The lengths people will go to for a pack or two is pretty nuts.

Sure sure. I'm just saying it's hard to be that honest. Presumably if you just notice it in your deckbox afterwards you never drew the SB card, so in theory it had no effect on the game. Do you call the cops on yourself if you smoke weed every once in a while too?

I get your point but I think that its pretty dumb and doesn't fit into what is being discussed.

deftest
May 7, 2011
I once got into a very tense arguement with someone I was quite friendly with at a local store. Were were playing in a box tournament and he balked when I reassigned my blockers after laying them out.

It was a sort of "block like this. No, like this instead" with a second long pause in-between. I was really upset that he was being such a stickler. In the end, he was willing to let me take back the initial blocks, but he was making me so uncomfortable with "if this were an official tournament" and "you really shouldn't be allowed" and frowning and sighing and "woe is me", that I ended up giving him the bad block out of indignance.

I ended up winning the match despite all that. When I took a walk after, I replayed the game in my head and realized I had accidentally made an illegal play (if memory serves, I had played a card I didn't have appropriate mana for) and neither of us noticed

I went back and adjusted the pairings sheet before the round was over to give him the win. It was extra difficult to do because he was being such an rear end

....we're telling stories about times we held ourselves accountable for cheating, right?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Some people take FNM very seriously, like the dude who got super angry that he believed I couldn't have possibly cast spells off of Pain Lands without taking an indeterminate amount of damage (which was wrong). I mean, I ended up losing anyways so it never mattered, but still, it seemed like a lot of anger over an easily explainable thing that shouldn't matter that much at FNM.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Harmonica posted:

People say this, but it's not really true. If all they care about is the cash, and they were actually clever, they'd have found legal ways to make many times more money. They're ultimately just unimaginative and apparently not punished enough right now.

So now instead of risk/reward it's risk/reward/effort. If MtG is what they already knew how to do, why bother putting in the effort for whatever legal money making scheme you're alluding to, when they could just play like they would anyways and get free stuff? It's hard to find a mass of soft targets (who are less clever than you and have way more disposable income) than MtG players, unless you're already a software developer, etc.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

deftest posted:

....we're telling stories about times we held ourselves accountable for cheating, right?

Hah, if so, I illegally flipped up an Abzan Guide at a Khans draft FNM. I had five dual lands on the table in an multicolor deck and didn't notice none of them were white-- I stack my lands incorrectly, and I guess I just assumed that I had white mana after 8 land drops. As soon as my opponent noticed I snap-conceded the game, apologized, and we both moved on without controversy.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Hah, if so, I illegally flipped up an Abzan Guide at a Khans draft FNM. I had five dual lands on the table in an multicolor deck and didn't notice none of them were white-- I stack my lands incorrectly, and I guess I just assumed that I had white mana after 8 land drops. As soon as my opponent noticed I snap-conceded the game, apologized, and we both moved on without controversy.

I assume it was a few turns past the flip, otherwise lol at such a fast concede.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Cheating talk is boring let's talk about how MaRo likes to misrepresent things again:

quote:

In each case, the player saw the drawback and didn't see the value. Storm, dredge, and cascade, for example, all went on to be so broken that development has decided we can't make any more. (Well, maybe cascade.) Each, though, forced you to design an entire deck to take advantage of the mechanic. That's something that's hard for a player to understand at first glance.

The issue with MaRo making these sweeping statements that seem reasonable to players now is that it ignores things like how dredge as it is today didn't even exist until Future Sight was released and cards like Darkblast were played in non-combo decks for a long time until creatures became better than x/1's and x/2's or better ways of eliminating them happened.

Also there were several different combo decks that weren't just Dredge that used Loam and Dakmor Salvage, respectively. It seems weird that these get lumped together since Storm and Dredge depend heavily on support cards but cascade can literally just be used to jam value cards.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

So now instead of risk/reward it's risk/reward/effort. If MtG is what they already knew how to do, why bother putting in the effort for whatever legal money making scheme you're alluding to, when they could just play like they would anyways and get free stuff? It's hard to find a mass of soft targets (who are less clever than you and have way more disposable income) than MtG players, unless you're already a software developer, etc.

I'm wagering that if performing slight of hand with cards is your thing, illusionist is probably a more steady gig than low tier magic player.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Mortimer posted:

I assume it was a few turns past the flip, otherwise lol at such a fast concede.

It was way, way after, the game had gone in a completely different direction because of the presence of a 4/4 lifelinker.

I still won the match 2-1.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Say you are sideboarding for game two in a match and you notice a mainboard card in your deckbox. Do you call a judge on yourself? Be honest.

I once cast Ponder, drew 3, and called a judge after my opponent told me to just put 2 of the cards I drew back. I knew it was a game loss with myself down a game and absolutely winning the game we were in. Oops.

On the other hand, I've played an entire vintage match with a 56 card deck because my Wastelands were in another deck (I had moved them over to another deck to play between rounds) and I didn't realize until I was on my way home. Neither of us were in prize contention by then anyway, so eh. Of course, if I had noticed during the game I would have called a judge and got my game loss.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Bahra the streamer used to have the best music, lots of lovely jazz and such, was very calming to listen to.

Greg Hatch also has a lot of very good video music and in addition is a extremely technical and interesting streamer to watch, where he knows how to entertain an audience, even though he usually plays badly its very good to watch.

Also, I just pulled the trigger on all 5 2014 commander decks for 95 quid which personally think it's pretty good for UK prices via GamesIsland (I mean, they are 35 dollars MSRP anyway) and will be looking forward to seeing the spoilers unfold and (hopefully) that they release something great.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I'm wagering that if performing slight of hand with cards is your thing, illusionist is probably a more steady gig than low tier magic player.

What he's doing is really low tier slight of hand. Certainly way less than is necessary to give even a mildly entertaining illusionist's performance. It's really no harder than just gripping the outside cards on the deck and sliding out the ones in the middle, so long as your opponents will let you take peeks at the bottom cards. I talk to a lot of people at my LGS about it, since I'm kinda a rambling annoying wordy know-it-all type, and anytime the subject comes up over shuffling vs cutting decks, I'll explain how trivially easy it is to stack a hand when you're only distributing cards to one player. What this guy does in the video is exactly what I tell people to look out for. There's more subtle methods for stacking, but those take more skill, but if you can take multiple glances at their deck, even the most fumblefingered type can manage to stack seven cards.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Well someone made a gfycat with the slo-mo breakdown so we can see it in all its glory:

http://gfycat.com/ParallelShortGemsbuck

And the freeze frame:

And for humor:

Although I'm not sure why he's looking at the top card if he knew he was thumbing it over, I guess it's to make sure he took the right card from the bottom? I mean, I'm not saying riffle shuffles don't allow this kind of thing, but that's why I generally feel better about riffles, because they tend to be done face-down (it's easy to maintain top x in a riffle though if you've practiced).

Zoness fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 21, 2014

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Sickening posted:

Bingo. For as many times this guy has cheated other people at SCG events he has probably has x10 that amount at FNM. Hell, its pretty easy to say that is where his best practice for his cheat is done. I would also assume that its more prevalent at the LGS's that stack the prizes at the top of the rankings.

Hell some of the cheating I don't believe you can do anything about.

Multiple sideboards (no decklist)
Pre sideboarding against known opponents (no decklist)
Playing different decks against different opponents (no decklist)

In all of your examples, you should still let your judge know. It's not usually that hard to investigate, unless the event is already over. Different decks each round is the easiest to figure out: You just ask his previous opponents what he was playing. The sideboarding issues can be more challenging to investigate, but far from impossible. You don't have to see them do it to DQ them. You just have to have a strong reason to believe they're doing it. Sometimes, all you have to do is ask them. You'd be surprised how many people just admit to cheating when questioned.

deftest posted:

Yeah, that's not cheating. Cheating has two components: Knowing the act is illegal, and doing so to gain an advantage.

I had a player demand I give him a game loss at an SCG Open once because he forgot to desideboard in game one. They had already started game two. And no, you don't give a game loss in that situation. You make sure they weren't doing it on purpose, then you move on. When I wouldn't give him a game loss, he conceded the current game.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Zoness posted:

Although I'm not sure why he's looking at the top card if he knew he was thumbing it over, I guess it's to make sure he took the right card from the bottom?

I think that one actually slipped a little.

This reminds me of something that happened at GP Orlando. A friend from my old store lost his deck after round 3, but fortunately someone turned it in at the lost and found. But they were kind of annoying about giving it back even after he named a handful of cards in the deck (it's limited, he doesn't know the set that well...). Then he remembered he slipped an M15 card with his DCI number written on it into the box. Their response was apparently, "What's the DCI number?" (isn't that why he wrote it down on a card?...)

He finally got the deck back and rushed to his seat but was a little late. His opponent was fine with it but wanted to call a judge to get a time extension. Result? Game loss for tardiness. He didn't think to appeal this, which he really should have since the lost and found could back him up that he was stuck there trying to get his poo poo back.

They play out the round and he wins game 2. Game 3 goes horribly, though, and there is no way he's going to win the match. So as a joke, he sneaks a Cheatyface into play. His opponent finally notices about a turn later and just laughs about it....but a judge just happened to be walking by and saw it, disqualified him from the tournament.

I don't think anyone's in the right here. The judge was overreacting (same judge that gave him the game loss), but my friend is a complete dumbass for doing this in the first place. He doesn't care, he was going to drop anyway, but...now you have a DQ on your record, idiot.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Once I had a guy call a judge on me for accidentally misrepresenting my life total as lower than it actually was v:shobon:v

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Hasbro's Q3 earnings call was today. After the 'hearthstone isn't a competitive threat to digital magic' laffs in Q2 I was expecting more but it was pretty tame.

Highlights:

- Magic is doing well and they are continuing to ramp up investment in organized play and digital
- Q3 revenue >10% higher than Q2 (conspiracy probably didn't sell that well)
- Digital revenue as a proportion of all magic revenue is growing (Duels I guess?)

Here's a gross non-paywall link that works in chrome: view-source:http://seekingalpha.com/article/2576075-hasbros-has-ceo-brian-goldner-on-q3-2014-results-earnings-call-transcript?page=6

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Once I had a guy call a judge on me for accidentally misrepresenting my life total as lower than it actually was v:shobon:v

Uh... why wouldn't that be a judgeworthy thing? If you represent it as lower than it is, it could cause them to make different decisions, potentially to their detriment.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Yeah but cards like pulses and timely reinforcements do exist where being at a lower life total can be beneficial.

Also Reverse the Sands :3:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Interestingly this is what they had to say about Khans:

quote:

Yes, Tarkir has been a great release. The fans have really enjoyed it thus far. Still early days, because you know it’s just been released. We talked about earlier in the year the fact that the releases really do matter. This is a storytelling brand first and foremost and engagement with characters is critical.

So in their mind the revenue drivers are brand and story and not the design or the cards themselves. I'm surprised. Cool gold cards and a fun limited format are what I think make most players excited and open their wallets. Maybe I'm wrong?

e: If he were right why did they drop the novels / ebooks then?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

JerryLee posted:

Uh... why wouldn't that be a judgeworthy thing? If you represent it as lower than it is, it could cause them to make different decisions, potentially to their detriment.

"What are you at?"
"5."
"Attack for exactly lethal."
"I'm actually at 8! Sucker!"

I don't see the problem here.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

I feel like going 5c control in KtK limited is almost on par with an original Ravnica draft. Not quite Innistrad-good, but certainly the most fun in a while.

I'm going to procure some tickets and then stream some 5c value parade. Bring your banners and let's ramp into some good times.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So in their mind the revenue drivers are brand and story and not the design or the cards themselves. I'm surprised. Cool gold cards and a fun limited format are what I think make most players excited and open their wallets. Maybe I'm wrong?

I am truly moved by the story of Afanensa, his-or-her character really resonates with me and I can't wait to see the resolution of their "puts a counter on a thing" arc

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Then why doesn't archers' parapet not have reach? Explain that storytime lore weavers.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I am truly moved by the story of Afanensa, his-or-her character really resonates with me and I can't wait to see the resolution of their "puts a counter on a thing" arc

Hey hey lets not go overboard, its not all things, just tapped things.

Plot twist: card in Fate reforged that makes untapped things count as tapped things

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I'm more interested in the story of Zurgo and Sarkhan's bitter feud, and how sometimes Zurgo can't deal with Sarkhan because he is a dragon, and sometimes Zurgo slams into Sarkhan for seven damage.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

*considers morality before delving out a Shambling Attendant*

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

They're in a push to expand the brand to things beyond the card game, so it's not surprising they'd emphasize that. I mean, it's a pretty good setting as an IP, after all, while the card game is only ever going to be a card game (albeit a very popular and successful one). And while people certainly opened packs for the quality of the cards, that's not setting-neutral either--without a stro flavor tie for the wedges, it falls a bit flat. Remember how hype the thread was for Jeskai when all we had was colors and art? Or Savage Punch, for that matter.

The novels and ebooks were cancelled because they were poorly-selling garbage that they had to withhold information from elsewhere to support. They dumped them in favor of telling the story where most players see it--the cards themselves and Uncharted Realms.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The Lord of Hats posted:

They're in a push to expand the brand to things beyond the card game, so it's not surprising they'd emphasize that. I mean, it's a pretty good setting as an IP, after all, while the card game is only ever going to be a card game (albeit a very popular and successful one). And while people certainly opened packs for the quality of the cards, that's not setting-neutral either--without a stro flavor tie for the wedges, it falls a bit flat. Remember how hype the thread was for Jeskai when all we had was colors and art? Or Savage Punch, for that matter.

There are no characters, only actions. There is no Sarek Dragonclaw, he is a non-entity, he is a point of engagement for no one, who cares. Instead of nouns, there are impersonal verbs. There is no story of a man who punches bears; there is only the abstract action of a bear being punched. The man himself is but a metaphor, conjured idly for convenience and discarded just as quickly, for the sake of better illustrating the platonic ideal of bear-punchingitude. The only resonant point is the act itself, for in the act of punching bears we are all one, instances of this ideal. All of us, in the glorious moment of punching a bear, are the same person. All men who speak a line from Shakespeare are in that instant William Shakespeare.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'm picturing a CEO explaining the significance of fetchlands and what's basically a reprint of ancestral to some wall street analysts and it's not really working...

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I'm picturing a CEO explaining the significance of fetchlands and what's basically a reprint of ancestral to some wall street analysts and it's not really working...

"These are good cards that everyone wants. We put them in the set, and people buy the set because they want the good cards."

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Then why doesn't archers' parapet not have reach? Explain that storytime lore weavers.

It's merely a parapet. Archers sold separately. :smug:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Uncharted Realms isn't mostly garbage?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

qbert posted:

Wow I didn't realize he also won the Modern IQ on Sunday. The pile of evidence in the reddit thread is pretty damning.

Link to the reddit thread? Interested hearing about this other evidence / other suspected times he's done well and suspected of cheating

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Rinkles posted:

Uncharted Realms isn't mostly garbage?

Unlike Magic Books it actually gets proofread and edited. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Dinosaur Satan posted:

It's merely a parapet. Archers sold separately. :smug:
That's what we came up with at the ptq too. The arrows are from the magic tree and the ancestors guide them into things, but they are crap compared to nearly every other arrow in the multiverse because Abzan is stupid was the runner up.

• Locked thread