Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Agrinja posted:

Yeebus this man with an acoustic. That tuning peg thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY7GnAq6Znw

it must be really cool to be insanely talented but have zero taste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Hotzenplotz posted:

Love the guitar and the Titanic magazine.

Heh, glad someone noticed :D

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

muike posted:

I made a handy graph to illustrate the taste/talent ratio

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

muike posted:

Sounds like every opening act at Acquire the Fire.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Ugh I just heard the harmonizer on his voice.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

muike posted:

In the 70s Frederick Noad put together a bunch of anthologies of classical guitar music. In the introduction he complained that most print guitar music available at the time was really bad. One of the reasons that he gave was "The many players who wrote music for the guitar were usually poor composers relying on special effects or superficial charm to attract the listener." Jon Gomm's playing brought this quote to mind. Why is it that the guys who use the weirdest and most pretentious nouveau techniques always produce music that sounds like it would be playing in the waiting room of a futuristic dentist's office?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Gilgameshback posted:

Why is it that the guys who use the weirdest and most pretentious nouveau techniques always produce music that sounds like it would be playing in the waiting room of a futuristic dentist's office?

I'll brook no dissent on the majesty and genius of Ewan Dobson. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTO5XdvXd1I

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

comes along bort posted:

On a serious note: There are VERY few great players who are great composers. A few that come to mind:

Jerry Garcia (better songwriter than player though)
Leo Kottke
Hendrix
John Fahey (better composer than player)

It's 100% subjective I know but my point is: It takes a very special kind of person to not only practice both of those things enough to get good at them, but to keep their egos in check enough to write songs that evoke feeling rather than just end up being a vehicle for guitar dickery.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

muike posted:

Somebody had to say it.

I also think Garcia is a decent player as well.

Didn't Squier make a VM Tele that also did have a straight up p90 in the neck?

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 19, 2014

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

muike posted:

His spastic playstyle is also kind of grating to watch. Gilgameshback got it, Futuristic dentist music nails it. That and, I mean there is a reason most of us do not screw with the tuning pegs while playing. But, hey whatever floats peoples boats.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

HollisBrown posted:

I made a handy graph to illustrate the taste/talent ratio

this is perfect. one of my coworkers knows the fretboard inside an out and can shred for days. but goddamn everything he plays sounds like a bluesdad on meth.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

comes along bort posted:

That chart is so perfect for the one I linked and this. The song is seriously cool, the man is talented, the hell is up with the gi and the windows-media looking visualizer?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

unlawfulsoup posted:

That and, I mean there is a reason most of us do not screw with the tuning pegs

It is because you are basic bitches

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Glow in the dark tape is such a wonderful thing, Shitsnacks approved!

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

unlawfulsoup posted:

That and, I mean there is a reason most of us do not screw with the tuning pegs while playing. But, hey whatever floats peoples boats.

because you will never be as metal as earl scruggs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBe5R276wL0

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Yeah, I concede I am not metal/adventurous/advanced/whatever enough to gently caress with my tunings while I am playing, I am usually just happy the guitar is staying in tune.

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

People that can eat people are the luckiest people in the world
Frankly I'd much rather listen to Jon Gomm than a lot of other singer-songwriters. His stuff is pretty straightforward pop, he does plenty of interesting voice leading, and he bothers to work rhythmic variation into solo acoustic guitar, which is something of a rarity when compared to the boring folk-pop garbage that's huge right now (and I say that as someone who loves folk-pop garbage). His lyrical content leans heavily towards trite, but I really like his cover of High and Dry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zBdb4SHQhk

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Synonamess Botch posted:

because you will never be as metal as earl scruggs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBe5R276wL0

Earl Scruggs rules, if you're not down with Scruggs you're a weirdo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mradyfist posted:

Frankly I'd much rather listen to Jon Gomm than a lot of other singer-songwriters. His stuff is pretty straightforward pop, he does plenty of interesting voice leading, and he bothers to work rhythmic variation into solo acoustic guitar, which is something of a rarity when compared to the boring folk-pop garbage that's huge right now (and I say that as someone who loves folk-pop garbage). His lyrical content leans heavily towards trite, but I really like his cover of High and Dry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zBdb4SHQhk

The way he strums during the chorus annoys me. Get some rhythm bro.

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

People that can eat people are the luckiest people in the world

Cojawfee posted:

The way he strums during the chorus annoys me. Get some rhythm bro.

Dude, it has rhythm, it's a quick drop in tempo that accelerates back up to speed. It's pretty clearly intentional, and I think it adds some dynamics to a transition that otherwise would end up sounding flat on acoustic, since he doesn't have a drumkit to splash in behind him. It's a pretty standard classical technique, have you ever noticed pianists modifying rhythm in a song?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mradyfist posted:

Dude, it has rhythm, it's a quick drop in tempo that accelerates back up to speed. It's pretty clearly intentional, and I think it adds some dynamics to a transition that otherwise would end up sounding flat on acoustic, since he doesn't have a drumkit to splash in behind him. It's a pretty standard classical technique, have you ever noticed pianists modifying rhythm in a song?

If it's not 4:4 at 120bpm, I don't want to hear it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

unlawfulsoup posted:

Yeah, I concede I am not metal/adventurous/advanced/whatever enough to gently caress with my tunings while I am playing, I am usually just happy the guitar is staying in tune.
Scruggs owns and `Earl's Breakdown' is one of my favourite bluegrass instrumentals, but his tuners have stops on them to make doing this easier. The original recording in 1951 has him doing it by hand, but after that he basically decided gently caress that and modified a couple tuners to have cams to make hitting the two tuning positions easier. He used these modified tuners for the 1957 album Foggy Mountain Jamboree which has the version of `Earl's Breakdown' that everybody knows, as well as a couple of other songs (`Flint Hill Special', `Foggy Mountain Chimes', and `Randy Lynn Rag') that also use the technique.

A couple of guys who owned a banjo shop, Bill Keith and Dan Bump, heard the effect on the album and decided to make their own tuners to do the same thing. After they made a prototype, around 1963, they approached Scruggs, and he liked 'em enough to put up some money with them to start producing them commercially. This version is usually called the Keith D-Tuner, but there are a bunch of companies that make 'em these days (Schaller and Gotoh both make similar tuners, for example). In any live recording you hear of Scruggs playing `Earls' Breakdown' he'll be using a set of the Keith tuners.

And that's more than you wanted to know about banjo tuners. The End.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

SubG posted:

And that's more than you wanted to know about banjo tuners. The End.

Lies, that was rad.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

SubG posted:

-All sorts of good stuff about banjo tuners-

You can even put them on your guitar if you need to rock out some Stones at very short notice.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Has anyone ever ordered one of the semi-custom guitars from Rondo?

I ordered one back in January and got an estimation of June/July.

I know it's just an estimate...

Has anyone had to wait more than 8 or 9 months?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Kurt's last newsletter email said their factory was overbooked on custom orders and the lead time had gotten past a year for some people.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

comes along bort posted:

Kurt's last newsletter email said their factory was overbooked on custom orders and the lead time had gotten past a year for some people.

Ok cool. Time to be patient.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Gonna cross post this in the two threads, but do any of you have any local mom and pop music stores that are just absolutely scum? In my city there is one that is decent and up front about their sales needs, can be a little pushy from time to time, but they have a great vintage room and have cut me a deal from time to time. These are the guys who have that 81 ES 335 I'm mulling over.

Then there is the second store where I took a Yamaha TVL to get setup and it "disappeared" for a few days. One of the techs took it home and it took me promising to come back and pick something off the wall if my guitar wasn't found "by Friday" for them to "find it".

And then there is the one that has aggravated me the most. They occasionally get good/interesting gear in but some friends of mine that have put stuff up for consignment have had problems. Basically say they want $1000 bucks for the instrument, it goes on consignment for $1100, but they'll find that same instrument for sale on Reverb.com for $1500. I've had a co worker sell something through them consignment and take his cut and it was a similar deal. His cut was $1000 bucks, it was supposed to be on sale for $1100, but he found out it actually sold for $1300 and they just kept the extra cash. I went in the other day to inspect an Ibanez Rick copy. The bridge was an old, plastic, bridge and was basically worn the gently caress out. The strings were resting on the bridge pickup and it was unplayable.

"Oh yeah man, it is setup to play muted".

Get hosed.

My BIL is a jazz musician around here and knows the musicians that own the place. I told him about the problems I and some friends had with it.

"Notice that they don't have anyone there providing lessons, right? No one there anymore to do setups and maintenance, right? Cause those guys are loving assholes."

The owner was a manager of the GC in Austin and figured he could move to Jackson and open up his own store due to the low cost of living.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Basically say they want $1000 bucks for the instrument, it goes on consignment for $1100, but they'll find that same instrument for sale on Reverb.com for $1500. I've had a co worker sell something through them consignment and take his cut and it was a similar deal. His cut was $1000 bucks, it was supposed to be on sale for $1100, but he found out it actually sold for $1300 and they just kept the extra cash.
I'm with you mostly, but I don't get this bit. If he's getting what he wanted out of the sale, who cares how much more they make off it or how?

I do get what you're saying 'oh they make more on the consignments than I wanted them to' but seriously, I honestly don't get why it matters as long as you/he/whoever gets their due amount.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

And then there is the one that has aggravated me the most. They occasionally get good/interesting gear in but some friends of mine that have put stuff up for consignment have had problems. Basically say they want $1000 bucks for the instrument, it goes on consignment for $1100, but they'll find that same instrument for sale on Reverb.com for $1500. I've had a co worker sell something through them consignment and take his cut and it was a similar deal. His cut was $1000 bucks, it was supposed to be on sale for $1100, but he found out it actually sold for $1300 and they just kept the extra cash.

No harm, no foul. They got bills to pay. You agreed to $1000, they went out there and made them some extra profit.

Also, how did you find out that your guitar was missing? Alot of guitar techs will punish you for hounding them about when it is gonna be done.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Consignments work on a percentage, not a cut and dry deal. Like, they take 10% of the final sale value or whatever. Probably should have explained it that way but giving figures seemed easier.

The co worker that had the sour experience was asked what he'd like to get for it, they told him they'd have to sell it for X amount to make what he wanted + their percentage. They ended up selling it for several hundred dollars more, increasing their percentage but not the amount my co worker should have received.

That's just dishonest business in the long run. Sure, they gotta make their money for themselves, but the only reason my co worker was selling was because he needed the cash, not because he just didn't have a use for the guitar.

quote:

Also, how did you find out that your guitar was missing? Alot of guitar techs will punish you for hounding them about when it is gonna be done.

I dropped it off on a Monday, went to pick it up on a Friday, was told that they still had it in the back and hadn't gotten to it. I had a gig Saturday so I asked for it back so I could give it a run through. The guy who told me it was still in the back then told me that he couldn't find it.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

It really depends on how the consignment is booked- if it's a percentage, then what they're doing is lovely.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Gonna cross post this in the two threads, but do any of you have any local mom and pop music stores that are just absolutely scum?

I worked at the scummiest music store. It's been around since the 70s but the ownership has recently been handed over to their previous lead sales guy. I later went back through their Facebook page and right when he takes over the store, there's a series of announcements saying X long-time employee is going on tour with their band and won't be coming back. He told me he's been through seven trainees in the last year, none of whom stayed.

He told me that I had three months of training. Third day on the job, I'm running the entire store by myself. I have no idea where anything is. Customers would come in and I would have to phone him to ask where things were. Sometimes he wouldn't pick up and then I'd have to run around trying desperately to find whatever they wanted. Sometimes I couldn't find it.

I told him that I used to play the piano and that I could pick it back up and teach lessons if he wants me to. He says alright. A day later he has me subbing for a missing teacher. I try to tell him that I am absolutely not qualified to teach the piano right now, but of course he had nobody else who could teach so he made me do it anyway. Then he refused to pay me the teacher's fee because I told him I wasn't qualified.

I quit.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
BIAS Desktop version is out of beta now http://www.positivegrid.com/bias-desktop/

I think their servers are getting overloaded or something right now cause of the announcement e-mail. During the beta I didn't see a demo download. They have one now but it requires you log in. $99 seems a little high but if you can design amps and have them carry over to the ipad/iphone version that would be pretty sweet. Plus its available as a VST/AU plugin which probably would allow you to do some cool stuff in other programs.

EDIT: Oh and the iOS apps are on sale too.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

jwh posted:

It really depends on how the consignment is booked- if it's a percentage, then what they're doing is lovely.

Def a percentage. The owner saw me mention possibly selling my Tweedy on FB and messaged me interested in selling it at his store and explained their process to me.

JULIAN ASSANGE posted:

I worked at the scummiest music store. It's been around since the 70s but the ownership has recently been handed over to their previous lead sales guy. I later went back through their Facebook page and right when he takes over the store, there's a series of announcements saying X long-time employee is going on tour with their band and won't be coming back. He told me he's been through seven trainees in the last year, none of whom stayed.

He told me that I had three months of training. Third day on the job, I'm running the entire store by myself. I have no idea where anything is. Customers would come in and I would have to phone him to ask where things were. Sometimes he wouldn't pick up and then I'd have to run around trying desperately to find whatever they wanted. Sometimes I couldn't find it.

I told him that I used to play the piano and that I could pick it back up and teach lessons if he wants me to. He says alright. A day later he has me subbing for a missing teacher. I try to tell him that I am absolutely not qualified to teach the piano right now, but of course he had nobody else who could teach so he made me do it anyway. Then he refused to pay me the teacher's fee because I told him I wasn't qualified.

I quit.

I bet you got paid poo poo too. :P

If I end up moving to another city and have any trouble finding a job I think I'll hit up a music shop and see about catching some hours.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Def a percentage.
Totally different than how I understood it earlier. I retract my previous reply, that's just lovely on their part.

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Def a percentage. The owner saw me mention possibly selling my Tweedy on FB and messaged me interested in selling it at his store and explained their process to me.

I bet you got paid poo poo too. :P

If I end up moving to another city and have any trouble finding a job I think I'll hit up a music shop and see about catching some hours.

Minimum wage during my "training period" that didn't really exist.

He wouldn't give me guitar students, either. Only students for the instrument I did not play.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
anyone here have a wilkinson trem?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

muike posted:

anyone here have a wilkinson trem?

What type? I've got a vintage 6-screw style on my project strat, it's great. I've played around with a few different guitars that have their dual knife-edge fulcrum ones and they were some of the best floating trems I've touched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
yeah i was thinking of the two-point ones. I just bought a guitar with one and i've never played a guitar with one so I was just curious. it's the vs-100n to be specific.