Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yeah, that guy was a bit rambly. Still, I understand the nervousness he must've felt.

More amazed that the military professor dude missed the Daily Double on Antietam. Sure, he's not teaching military history, but I would've thought that someone who teaches Army officers at Ft. Leavenworth would know something about the Civil War...

Another tie too, which was pretty cool. Wanted both those guys to win, so I'm happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Doesn't the delay start small, then get bigger over the season as the backlog of episodes pile up? I forget how it works.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Doesn't the delay start small, then get bigger over the season as the backlog of episodes pile up? I forget how it works.

They start taping in late July, early August and do a week of episodes in a day, two days a week. So since the new season started in like the middle of September, the delay was only a month and a half or so. When I did my taping back in the middle of March this year, I had to wait 3 and a half months to the end of June for my episode to air. So yeah, the delay does grow.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I know Dan, I used to play pub trivia with him (or, against him). I have no idea why he would choose such a weird story or be so nervous about it, he seemed like a chill guy.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 14, 2014

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Zesty Mordant posted:

I know Dan, I used to play pub trivia with him (or, against him). I have no idea why he would choose such a weird story or be so nervous about it, he seemed like a chill guy.

MSN is running a video from HuffPo calling it one of the longest and most awkward interview segments ever: http://on-msn.com/1r4iJo7

Also, Dan seemed to fall into the same trap that I did at the end of the game, trying to answer too much and getting burned on it...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 15, 2014

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Haha, he explained on fb that his weird story was actually an 'embarrassing moment' that he put down on his sheet, and didn't expect it to be asked about it on the show. Yeah, looks like he got a bit ambitious at the end there.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

The weirdest story I've ever seen is still the guy who felt the need to tell everyone about his bed wetting. I mean, hey, there's nothing wrong with that, but your first time on Jeopardy and that's what you go with.

The only video I can find about it is some promo thing recorded off the tv: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoE50ExYbe8

EDIT: Ha, just saw that I've mentioned it before.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Quasipox posted:

The weirdest story I've ever seen is still the guy who felt the need to tell everyone about his bed wetting. I mean, hey, there's nothing wrong with that, but your first time on Jeopardy and that's what you go with.

The only video I can find about it is some promo thing recorded off the tv: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoE50ExYbe8

EDIT: Ha, just saw that I've mentioned it before.

hahaha why the gently caress would they put that in the promo???

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Zesty Mordant posted:

Haha, he explained on fb that his weird story was actually an 'embarrassing moment' that he put down on his sheet, and didn't expect it to be asked about it on the show. Yeah, looks like he got a bit ambitious at the end there.

Yeah, it's Alex's choice about which of the three prompts he wants to ask you about, but you do go over the prompts in the Green Room with a Contestant Coordinator when they're checking to see if you've filled out your paperwork correctly, and you do get to note your preference. Guess he just wasn't ready for Alex to ask him about that...

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Zesty Mordant posted:

Geeks Who Drink?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

"What is... dick?"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

"What is... dick?"

I don't she said "Harley Quinn". It sounded more like harlequin. Not that it mattered in the end.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Frederick owned and I'm bummed he lost.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

zakharov posted:

Frederick owned and I'm bummed he lost.

That guy's smile was so loving creepy.

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

FrumpleOrz posted:

There was a serious Nicholson Joker thing going on there, but he still owned, especially compared to the guy who won.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA
Guys, he played college cricket

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

FrumpleOrz posted:

He can't be a real person. I'm convinced he's a robot built to host 60's game shows.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Didn't they say he was an actor from Las Vegas? I mean, that more or less explains it all.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Matthew on today's episode is pretty funny.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

wa27 posted:

Matthew on today's episode is pretty funny.

"What is tito taller?" (teetotaller)

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

Cross-posted from the Last Week Tonight thread:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
No moustache, not sexy.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I was really surprised they accepted "Goodbye Ruby Tuesday" as an answer in FJ.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

The Jboard nerds say that longstanding rules allow lyrics as a stand in for song titles as long as they contain the title. I did not know this.

zakharov fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 28, 2014

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
But there's no restaurant called "Goodbye Ruby Tuesday." I don't know enough about what's usually allowed but I definitely got the feeling that shouldn't count.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

The clue specifically asked for the song, and that was close enough under Jeopardy rules.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I'm officially tired of Jeopardy ties

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

I'm officially tired of Jeopardy ties

So you do you get episodes aired earlier than the rest of us or something?

And yes, two ties in a week are kinda ridiculous. Also, it might just be me picking nits here, but it's the "New York Public Library" not the city library, but that's just me being an elitist New Yorker.

And almost missing a Daily Double because you failed to answer in the form of a question, but catching it at the last minute was a nice save, it would've sucked if she did get it wrong because of that. She also almost missed that Hawk clue because she answered Tony Hawk instead, but corrected herself at the last minute.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 31, 2014

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

GhostStalker posted:

So you do you get episodes aired earlier than the rest of us or something?

It comes on at 3:30 central time here. I DVR it and usually watch it when I get home.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

It comes on at 3:30 central time here. I DVR it and usually watch it when I get home.

What the gently caress kind of magical universe do you live in???

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

uublog posted:

If you click through http://www.jeopardy.com/showguide/whentowatch/ you can find at least a few places where it airs before noon.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

uublog posted:

The greater Oklahoma City area. So pretty much the opposite of a magical universe.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
What is Tornado Alley.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

I do the same thing just outside of KC. Of course, whenever there's breaking news, or the president wants to give a speech, it's pretty much guaranteed to get preempted.

CaligulaKangaroo fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 2, 2014

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Holy poo poo the people on tonight's show were dumb as hell

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

FairGame posted:

Holy poo poo the people on tonight's show were dumb as hell

For real. How the gently caress do you figure Einstein was Scandinavian? I mean sure if you're the average person off the street, I wouldn't be shocked, but I'd like to think someone getting selected for Jeopardy would know he's not.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

George HW Bush! Come on now! Tonight's game was tougher than most but there were some very, very gettable clues missed tonight. Alex was going to kill someone.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

:lol: you know final jeopardy went poorly when Alex says you made a "serious mistake."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wa27 posted:

:lol: you know final jeopardy went poorly when Alex says you made a "serious mistake."

Not much else to say when you cross out the correct answer and replace it with something that's stated in the question. Though I'll admit my first guess on this was Washington, since my brain only saw FDR as most prolific appointer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

The Tournament of Champions beginning next week has to be one of the most anticipated in awhile. You've got the returns of Julia and Arthur, along with many other strong champions. Off the top of my head, I remember Sandie and Ben being especially formidable. Here's your matchups.

Go Arthur, hail Satan, etc