Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BrianWilly posted:

And their Amazons aren't the mythological Amazons but people will line up for blocks defend Azzarello's vilification of them based on how true he's being to mythology*.

*Believe it or not, he's actually made them worse than they were in the original myths.

If there are no awful acts from Zeus for Diana to react to then I don't want to hear another word about how great Azzarello is at depicting mythology. Hey, look, I actually have no problem with a "vanilla" depiction of Zeus that downplays his rapey, murdery ways, in order to make him palatable for a more palatable story. That's how most retellings of myths do it, after all. But if you're going to play it like that then you don't get to have it both ways. You don't get to say "Ah, see, my Hera is the vindictive bitch shrew from the tales and the Amazons are man-hating barbarians as they're meant to be, but hell if I'm gonna show Zeus loving little boys in the guise of an eagle! That'd be wrong!"

Teenage Fansub mentions that all authors pick "the parts that serve the story he wants to tell," which is true. The question then becomes, well, why does the story that Azzarello wants to tell so very conveniently paint such a negative image of the sisterhood of Amazons and goddesses that were once Diana's friends and patrons, while it also just so happens to skip over any sordid mythological details that would have made Azzarello's new WW origins -- now with additional man parts because god forbid we neglect the men in a Wonder Woman origin -- particularly hard to swallow? Why does Azzarello's choice of mythological fidelity just so very conveniently downplay any potential misogyny on the part of the myths, while highlighting all traces of misandry?

The question was asked: what is it about Azzarello's retcons that particularly violates WW's feminist principles? Well, here's your answer. Take it or leave it.

I think you're missing the fores for the trees by focusing too much on Zeus role on the story (when he's pretty much a non entity and the few mentions we've had of him paint him like a useless bum). The story has given a lot of attention at Hera's development as character where she comes off like being more misguided than vindictive.

And I'm not too sure on Azzarello writing misoginy on the story when the First Born essentially represents everything wrong with men and is the ultimate villian of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In a twist, Zeus was the baby the whole time.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

In a twist, Zeus was the baby the whole time.

Could be possible, I don't think is mere coincidence that the three characters have names that start with Z (Zeus, Zola, Zeke)

By the way, anyone knows when the January solicits will be released?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

If there are no awful acts from Zeus for Diana to react to then I don't want to hear another word about how great Azzarello is at depicting mythology. Hey, look, I actually have no problem with a "vanilla" depiction of Zeus that downplays his rapey, murdery ways, in order to make him palatable for a more palatable story. That's how most retellings of myths do it, after all. But if you're going to play it like that then you don't get to have it both ways. You don't get to say "Ah, see, my Hera is the vindictive bitch shrew from the tales and the Amazons are man-hating barbarians as they're meant to be, but hell if I'm gonna show Zeus loving little boys in the guise of an eagle! That'd be wrong!"

Teenage Fansub mentions that all authors pick "the parts that serve the story he wants to tell," which is true. The question then becomes, well, why does the story that Azzarello wants to tell so very conveniently paint such a negative image of the sisterhood of Amazons and goddesses that were once Diana's friends and patrons, while it also just so happens to skip over any sordid mythological details that would have made Azzarello's new WW origins -- now with additional man parts because god forbid we neglect the men in a Wonder Woman origin -- particularly hard to swallow? Why does Azzarello's choice of mythological fidelity just so very conveniently downplay any potential misogyny on the part of the myths, while highlighting all traces of misandry?

The question was asked: what is it about Azzarello's retcons that particularly violates WW's feminist principles? Well, here's your answer. Take it or leave it.

There are no awful acts from Zeus for Diana to react to because there are no acts from Zeus for anyone to react to at all. The entire point of the first part of the story is that Zeus is missing and Olympus needs someone on the throne. The only mentions about Zeus are Hippolyta and Zola both recounting how he was a lovely dude for knocking them both up and then leaving them, and Hera calling him a cheating prick. It's established that he's an rear end in a top hat but that really doesn't matter because Zeus is honestly almost a nonentity in the story and may very well be dead. The only thing he's (not) there for is to establish that he does have a lot of illegitimate kids that pop up later in the story and to kickstart the plot by impregnating Zola.

I have to agree with D_T* in that by focusing on Zeus and the initial poor depiction of the Amazons and the goddesses, you're totally ignoring that the comic makes no bones about the fact that almost all the other male gods are total assholes if not outright villains, right down to the main villain of the whole run being a hyper-macho spawn of Zeus. Additionally, the story's not complete either. Both Hera and Artemis have turned into allies and the Amazons are (going to be) undergoing social change (after they get done fighting).

*(I realize that saying this may immediately discredit my argument but whatever)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

quote:

"Ah, see, my Hera is the vindictive bitch shrew from the tales and the Amazons are man-hating barbarians as they're meant to be, but hell if I'm gonna show Zeus loving little boys in the guise of an eagle! That'd be wrong!"

Absolutely 100% yes.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I've enjoyed Azeraello's run overall, as it is a decent little horror story when divorced from Wonder Woman's past comics, but BrianWilly's criticisms are completely valid. Even ignoring the concerning feminist implications, many of Azerello's retcons also harm the narrative itself. Zeus's absence from the story seems more like a plot hole than one of the story's strengths, considering his actions did kick off the narrative. With the story ending soon, I doubt his responsibility or lack of will be adequately addressed, if at all. Likewise, having the adult princess, ambassador, and champion of the Amazons be completely ignorant of her culture's methods of reproduction paints Diana in a terrible light for someone even the story claims to be a force for progress.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

glitchwraith posted:

I've enjoyed Azeraello's run overall, as it is a decent little horror story when divorced from Wonder Woman's past comics, but BrianWilly's criticisms are completely valid. Even ignoring the concerning feminist implications, many of Azerello's retcons also harm the narrative itself. Zeus's absence from the story seems more like a plot hole than one of the story's strengths, considering his actions did kick off the narrative. With the story ending soon, I doubt his responsibility or lack of will be adequately addressed, if at all. Likewise, having the adult princess, ambassador, and champion of the Amazons be completely ignorant of her culture's methods of reproduction paints Diana in a terrible light for someone even the story claims to be a force for progress.

Agreed entirely.

I think it's fair to enjoy the hell out of something and still find facets of it very uncomfortable.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Weird question: What superheroes, if any, explicitly have the ability to resurrect others? Or supervillains, even.

I know White Lanterns can restore the dead to life.

And that at least at one point magicians of some sort revived Raven to try and destroy the world or something?

What powers, in general, can revive the dead?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

KittyEmpress posted:

Weird question: What superheroes, if any, explicitly have the ability to resurrect others? Or supervillains, even.

And that at least at one point magicians of some sort revived Raven to try and destroy the world or something?

Actually, Kyle can't brought back people to life. He can heal anything but once they die, he can't do anything.

And so far I think that Lazarus Pit are the only constant source of resurrection on DC.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
A black lantern ring can kind of revive the dead I think.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

KittyEmpress posted:

I can't think of anyone who can just make that happen when they want. I'm sure heavy magic users could probably do it if they really needed to, but more than likely at great personal cost. Marvel has/had Elixir, but I don't know if his powers went quite that far.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

redbackground posted:

I can't think of anyone who can just make that happen when they want. I'm sure heavy magic users could probably do it if they really needed to, but more than likely at great personal cost. Marvel has/had Elixir, but I don't know if his powers went quite that far.

The Spectre can, that's how Ollie came back after being blown up to literal bits. Lazurus pits can restore but according to Batman and ............ only one can bring the dead back to life without some kind of monkey paw consequence.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

redbackground posted:

Elixir's power has to be consciously used and they explained that he'd pass out or die from exhaustion before he could bring anybody back from dead dead.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Didn't he and Wither interrogate/torture someone in House of M by killing him and bringing him back over and over?

And in DC, maybe Anton Arcane? Pretty sure it would just end up in zombies, though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Actually, Kyle can't brought back people to life. He can heal anything but once they die, he can't do anything.

Actually, in a fairly recent GL: New Guardians, Kyle brought a sentient planet back to life with the white ring.

Then it turned out to be evil and he re-killed it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Inkspot posted:

And in DC, maybe Anton Arcane? Pretty sure it would just end up in zombies, though.

Yeah, it is the same thing with the Black Lantern rings.

Regarding the books of this week:

Earth's end is really good and it seems we're close to lose Batdad

Future's End is interesting but drat if isn't a drag to read through anything related to the Cadmus Island subplot.

Batwoman is getting too weird for my tastes

Amusingly (considering the previous posts) it seems Raven is able to revive people now, other than that, TT keeps being poo poo (Gangs inspired by the Titans, really?)

New Guardians is bullshit, in general it seems that Godhand is focused to make anyone assholes, first the New Gods and now the Templar Guardians :cripes: Oh, and Kyle/Carol is a thing now.

Justice League was cool although I can't made sense of Bruce plan and I can't help but wonder when Power Ring is gonna be left by another new toy like Simon.

Batman Superman was entertaining but skippable.

Trinity of Sin has potential but I hate that they killed Thirteen just to show how badass is this new baddie and I couldn't care less about Pandora, plus, the art was something poor.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

(Gangs inspired by the Titans, really?)

Gotham City Impostors sequel?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

redbackground posted:

Marvel has/had Elixir, but I don't know if his powers went quite that far.

Layla Miller can resurrect people, too, but they come back without their soul.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

This thread has been generally very down on the fact the New 52 gave the Phantom Stranger a definitive origin, but after thinking it over I really don't agree: he's been a much more interesting character as Judas Iscariot than he ever was as a mystery. I don't think there's anything wrong in pinning something like this down if it's pinned down well, and I think this is a case where it really has been.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Did today's Justice League start a new arc? The ad for it in the back of Trinity of Sin makes it sound like a new arc, but I saw that the Vol 6 trade collects #30-39 so I thought I'd have to wait until #40 to jump on with a new arc.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dunbar posted:

Did today's Justice League start a new arc? The ad for it in the back of Trinity of Sin makes it sound like a new arc, but I saw that the Vol 6 trade collects #30-39 so I thought I'd have to wait until #40 to jump on with a new arc.
Yeah, today's issue is a new arc. Jessica is officially on the team now, as well as Luthor.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Jiro posted:

The Spectre can, that's how Ollie came back after being blown up to literal bits.

That was Parallax. It was his last act before giving his life to reignite the sun or something, after which he became the Spectre.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Chaos Hippy posted:

That was Parallax. It was his last act before giving his life to reignite the sun or something, after which he became the Spectre.

I'm pretty sure the Spectre could too, if only to kill them again horribly for some crime.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dr. Hurt posted:

I'm pretty sure the Spectre could too, if only to kill them again horribly for some crime.

Oh yeah it was Parallax wasn't it? But Spectre still can bring people back from the dead, if I am not mistaken again he did it during that whole mini of where it was revealed Vandal Savage was the biblical Cain. Also that Quagmire villaness from the Obsidian Age arc of JLA brought them back to life in order to kill them again. Does being able to spin the Earth backwards to reverse time count?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jiro posted:

Oh yeah it was Parallax wasn't it? But Spectre still can bring people back from the dead, if I am not mistaken again he did it during that whole mini of where it was revealed Vandal Savage was the biblical Cain. Also that Quagmire villaness from the Obsidian Age arc of JLA brought them back to life in order to kill them again. Does being able to spin the Earth backwards to reverse time count?

I think in the Ostrander run the Spectre brings back Corrigan's girlfriend from the dead.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
The Flash comic based on the TV show beats the poo poo out of the regular series.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Madkal posted:

I think in the Ostrander run the Spectre brings back Corrigan's girlfriend from the dead.

He definitely didn't. I don't remember if he tried and failed, but I do remember what he succeeded at: he hunted down her killer, kills him, then brings him back so that he can do it again, and again, and again. It only stops when demons from Hell show and go "Hey man, he's ours now. Quit biting our style."

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

HitTheTargets posted:

He definitely didn't. I don't remember if he tried and failed, but I do remember what he succeeded at: he hunted down her killer, kills him, then brings him back so that he can do it again, and again, and again. It only stops when demons from Hell show and go "Hey man, he's ours now. Quit biting our style."

I think he's talking about Corrigan's fiancee, when he first bound with the Spectre. She was caught in the crossfire while he was fighting the gangsters that had just murdered him. As the Spectre, he was able to grab her soul before it entered heaven and bring her back to life. Basically, if the soul was still in limbo, Spectre could bring the person back to life, no problem.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

glitchwraith posted:

I think he's talking about Corrigan's fiancee, when he first bound with the Spectre. She was caught in the crossfire while he was fighting the gangsters that had just murdered him. As the Spectre, he was able to grab her soul before it entered heaven and bring her back to life. Basically, if the soul was still in limbo, Spectre could bring the person back to life, no problem.

Yep. That's the thing I was trying to remember.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
New solicits are out: when did they bring back Manchester Black? And why is he a Teen Titan?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

HitTheTargets posted:

New solicits are out: when did they bring back Manchester Black? And why is he a Teen Titan?

Since the relaunched #1. Not a Teen Titan.

Soule is off Red Lanterns. The new writer is Landry Walker. Looks like he comes from doing young comics like "Brave and the Bold" and "Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the Eighth Grade"
Soule's still on Swamp Thing, at least for January.
Superman #38 solicit says new costume, but the cover doesn't show it.
Fire and Ice are also coming into JLI3000
Catman has a golden cat mask:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 20, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Since the relaunched #1. Not a Teen Titan.

Soule is off Red Lanterns. The new writer is Landry Walker. Looks like he comes from doing young comics like "Brave and the Bold" and "Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the Eighth Grade"
Soule's still on Swamp Thing, at least for January.
Superman #38 solicit says new costume, but the cover doesn't show it.
Fire and Ice are also coming into JLI3000
Catman has a golden cat mask:

Hey, I was wondering where Calvin Rose ended.

RHATO was on the JL solicits and not on Batman's for some resaon.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

A new Superman costume? Oh god, please don't bring back the red underpants!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Goon posted:

A new Superman costume? Oh god, please don't bring back the red underpants!

Oh come on, it's Geoff Johns. You know it's going to be a massive cocktease and fakeout of the classic suit.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Goon posted:

A new Superman costume? Oh god, please do bring back the red underpants!

I translated your post for those of us who arent living in Bizarro world

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Come on new 52 electric blues!!

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
He'll have underpants made of mullet.

Best. Ever.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Was Taters posted:

He'll have underpants made of mullet.

Best. Ever.

So Bayonetta, but male?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So Bayonetta, but male?

No, the underpants are on the outside of his clothes.

Clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So Bayonetta, but male?

Wicked weaves sound like a good Silver Age Superman superpower

• Locked thread