Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

"There are known knowns, and known unknowns"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to watch it tomorrow to celebrate another rear end in a top hat, Christopher Columbus

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
The final shot of the film, if anyone's interested

https://vine.co/v/OA0TnbDqaHb

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
jesus loving christ

sepp blatter, first against the wall

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
The sad thing about those old cunts running things is that they've got nothing to lose.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

I would be really corrupt as well.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wouldn't it be nice to run a billion-dollar international organization with no oversight and make movies starring Tim Roth about how awesome you are?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I think I'll just stick to remembering Tim Roth as honey bunny and "Harry... I'm a coooppp"

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm going to watch it tomorrow to celebrate another rear end in a top hat, Christopher Columbus

Can't wait til our Italian mod sees this

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

TheBigAristotle posted:

The final shot of the film, if anyone's interested

https://vine.co/v/OA0TnbDqaHb

poor nelson. imagine spending 27 years of your life in prison and having your legacy used as a moral sanitizer for fifa.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm NOT sending my kids to the Sepp Blatter school.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/10661860

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvMPXwqTMto

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

this was a desperately needed palate cleanser for this thread

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

excuse me lady posted:

"There are known knowns, and known unknowns"

brilliant movie imo

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

:stare:

The Guardian posted:

The German judge overseeing Fifa’s investigation into the controversial bidding process for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups has insisted that the report cannot be published in full for legal reasons, but promised an overview of the main findings by the middle of next month.

Hans-Joachim Eckert, the chair of the adjudicatory arm of Fifa’s ethics committee, received the potentially explosive 360-page report and 200,000 pages of supporting documents from Michael Garcia, the former US attorney for the southern district of New York who is head of the investigatory arm, last month.

Ever since, a battle has raged over whether and when it will be published. Garcia and several members of the Fifa executive committee have called for it to be published in full, with names redacted to protect whistleblowers, in order to help restore Fifa’s battered credibility.

Eckert has now moved to clarify the situation in an interview posted on Fifa’s website, promising to deliver a statement by mid-November at the latest but again ruling out full publication of Garcia’s report.

“The statement will contain an overview of the investigation report, a summary of the main findings, conclusions and recommendations of the report, as well as a brief evaluation of the same,” he said.

The German judge, appointed as part of Fifa’s reform process as it tried to come to terms with the fallout from a string of corruption allegations, said that because those interviewed had been promised confidentiality it would be all but impossible to publish the report in full.

“Publishing the report in full would actually put the Fifa ethics committee and Fifa itself in a very difficult situation legally,” he said. “What is more, we have to respect the personal rights of the people mentioned in the report, which in the case of full publication of the report would in all likelihood not be possible.”

Garcia reiterated his call for more transparency in a speech to US lawyers in London earlier this week but Eckert insisted there was no rift between them. He said: “Michael Garcia has never said that the report should be 100% published. He merely said that the ‘appropriate’ publication of his report should be authorised. The deputy chairman of the adjudicatory chamber and I now have the task of drawing up this appropriate form for publication.

“Part of my current examination involves deciding what form this appropriate publication should take, whether this means issuing a statement regarding the investigation report or whether certain parts of the investigation report will be published while maintaining anonymity, or indeed a combination of these possibilities. This decision is exclusively a matter for the adjudicatory chamber – neither the investigatory chamber nor the Fifa executive committee can decide. The main requirement is that personal rights must not be damaged.”

Eckert, who has been under pressure to clarify his position, said in September that his own judgment based on Garcia’s investigation, likely to be delivered early next year, would not go down well with many at Fifa. “Many won’t like what I am going to tell them,” he warned.

He also attempted to deal with claims that Garcia was compromised because he was an American citizen investigating a bidding race in which the US played an integral part. The US would be in pole position to host the 2022 tournament if it was stripped from Qatar.

“It must be pointed out that the main report has been produced not by Michael Garcia alone, but also by the deputy chairman of the investigatory chamber of the Fifa ethics committee, Cornel Borbély. In fact, the report into Russia and the USA was produced solely by Cornel Borbély,” said Eckert.

“This is because Michael Garcia was unable to take part in some parts of the investigation due to the possibility of conflicts of interest, for example in the case of the American bid [as he is a US citizen].”

Controversy has surrounded the controversial and chaotic decision to award the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 tournament to Qatar ever since the vote in December 2010. Mohamed Bin Hammam, the disgraced former president of the Asian Football Confederation, has been linked to paying a string of bribes during the Qatari’s failed bid to become Fifa president, with some linking his activities to the concurrent Qatar 2022 bid. The failed bidders, including the US, Australian and England, also come under scrutiny.

Eckert has said that only four people have access to Garcia’s report, but other sources claim to have seen parts of it. It is said to focus on breaches of the ethics code by several individuals but Eckert and the Fifa president, Sepp Blatter, have said that only Fifa’s executive committee would have the power to strip either Russia or Qatar of the World Cup. Garcia travelled to all the bidding countries, except for Russia where he is barred from entry due to the country’s continuing dispute with the US over sanctions, to gather evidence over an 18-month period.

In his speech in London, Garcia called for a culture change among Fifa’s leadership and called for an end to the prevailing veil of secrecy at the Zurich-based governing body. “The investigation and adjudication process operates in most parts unseen and unheard,” he said. “That’s a kind of system which might be appropriate for an intelligence agency but not for an ethics compliance process in an international sports institution that serves the public and is the subject of intense public scrutiny.”

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So they're admitting to massive fraud then. Cool.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

So they're admitting to massive fraud then. Cool.
But legally that would them in a tough spot so they can't tell you that! So instead of openly admitting to fraud they're going to publish parts of a report that shows them committing fraud. Makes sens imo

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 17, 2014

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Someone leak it ffs, I refuse to believe a FIFA report is more locked down than confidential US diplomatic cables and celebrity titty pics.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Blue Star Error posted:

Someone leak it ffs, I refuse to believe a FIFA report is more locked down than confidential US diplomatic cables and celebrity titty pics.

why? fifa probably have more resources and diplomatic puoll at this point.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Lets embrace our Swiss/Qatari overlords.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Blue Star Error posted:

Only 4 people have access, leaking it directly would mean being found out.
"leaving it on the train" FTW!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
So, who knows enough French to say if this is literally just Sepp dictating that the World Cup will be held in the winter.

http://www.franceinfo.fr/sports/football/article/mondial-2022-au-qatar-la-date-qui-convient-c-est-la-fin-de-l-annee-587605

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
The quotes from the article:

Sepp Satan Fucker posted:

We can't play in summer. We must find a solution. The best possible date is by the end of the year. That's the best solution for me. We've worked with the international calendar. At first it was possible, but now it's become a bit harder. However, the World Cup is really important!

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

lol "The World Cup is really important!" is the best excuse

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Just get the slaves to build indoor stadiums and play it in the summer. What's the problem here?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

jyrka posted:

Just get the slaves to build indoor stadiums and play it in the summer. What's the problem here?

Price of oil getting SMASHED by American ingenuity and drive, Middle Easterners mad as gently caress

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

You can't make this poo poo up:

BBC Sport posted:

"You could play the first games at 7pm, the second games at 10pm and the third matches at 1am," he [FIFA official Harold Mayne-Nicholls] told BBC Sport.

"You'd change everything. It would be a couple of hours behind in Europe, and that would help TV," he added.

"The weather would still be very warm at night, but the sun is not there and that could help.

"I know it's not easy. We'd sleep during the day and work during the night.

"It's only an idea. You'd have to investigate a little bit more."

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lol "the sun is hot so let's play at night" I'm crying op

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I am just glad that someone, somewhere noticed that the sun.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Let's put the footballers through what we make our slaves in the oilfields do.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Nighttime, of course, how obvious

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

So does this mean the artificial cloud-drones are off? What about my fully air-conditioned 70,000-seat green stadia?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
FIFA has spent more time thinking out how to play in Qatar than during the actual bid process.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
You know even if you played it in the height of the Australian summer it still wouldn't reach the temperatures in Qatar. And if you played in july it would be the middle of winter.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Peanut President posted:

FIFA has spent more time thinking out how to play in Qatar than during the actual bid process.

They're going to lose far more money accommodating the pick of Qatar then they ever made in bribes. Though I guess that money comes out of a different pot then the Executive Council's pocket doesn't it?

Aside from everyone knowing going in that is was going to be the least profitable to FIFA then any of the other 2022 choices all things being equal this is probably going to be the least profitable sporting event in world history.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Byolante posted:

You know even if you played it in the height of the Australian summer it still wouldn't reach the temperatures in Qatar. And if you played in july it would be the middle of winter.

Looking at the bid again, as best I can tell only 2 stadiums the USA presented would be even comparable to Qatar and that would only be due to daytime humidity: Miami and Tampa. The other stadiums the summer heat might affect are indoors (which Qatar assures us is impossible). They could have easily played the games at those outdoor stadiums in the evening. And poo poo, no would care in the first place because Europeans loving love Florida.

I hope Australia sues for the money they spent on the bid back. I'm sure their bid would have been 100% stronger if they knew it could be placed in a different season so it didn't need to conflict with Australian football.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Pook Good Mook posted:

I hope Australia sues for the money they spent on the bid back. I'm sure their bid would have been 100% stronger if they had billions in oil money to "gift" to Sepp Blatter's bank account.

Fixed this for you.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Pook Good Mook posted:

Looking at the bid again, as best I can tell only 2 stadiums the USA presented would be even comparable to Qatar and that would only be due to daytime humidity: Miami and Tampa. The other stadiums the summer heat might affect are indoors (which Qatar assures us is impossible). They could have easily played the games at those outdoor stadiums in the evening. And poo poo, no would care in the first place because Europeans loving love Florida.

I hope Australia sues for the money they spent on the bid back. I'm sure their bid would have been 100% stronger if they knew it could be placed in a different season so it didn't need to conflict with Australian football.

The conflicting with non-soccer australian football codes is a massive red herring because aside from the MCG any stadium liable to be used for the tournament has a number of other grounds nearby the lesser eggball matches could be moved to for the month of the world cup. Its not like NFL or something where they sell out every game in rugby league or rugby union and as I said aside from the MCG no cricket pitch in Australia would be the first option they would pick for a host city stadium. Also with the MCG there are a number of 40kish seater stadiums you could move the AFL games to for the interim if you manage the calendar appropriately.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Playing at night in the middle of summer would make little difference unless the stadiums were fully air-conditioned. The only time you spend outdoors between the beginning of May and end of September is between the car door and front door. Even if the games can be moved to the evenings, you'll have millions of fans stuck round-the-clock in hotels. Winter at least will give people the option of the beach or outdoor fan venues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

corpuscollossus posted:

Playing at night in the middle of summer would make little difference unless the stadiums were fully air-conditioned. The only time you spend outdoors between the beginning of May and end of September is between the car door and front door. Even if the games can be moved to the evenings, you'll have millions of fans stuck round-the-clock in hotels. Winter at least will give people the option of the beach or outdoor fan venues.

Winter would be a disaster for two major reasons:

1. Effect on domestic leagues. Either the leagues shift everything around for 2 seasons to accommodate the World Cup or they keep the same schedule and risk losing their best players to stupid injuries. And you can't tell me that the quality of play won't suffer thanks to every player trying not to get hurt.

2. TV contracts. Frankly, this will be the bigger problem for FIFA. The league and player issues affect fans and specific leagues, but the revenue from TV contracts and endorsements is what keeps FIFA alive (The World Cup represents 85% of FIFA's income, that's total, not per year). A winter world cup would compete with the Winter Olympics, the European leagues, the NFL, and the NBA. Every single network would want to renegotiate terms because they didn't pay for a winter world cup.