Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

If said company starts with a "S" or a "P", they're known for absolutely god-awful software, its destroyed the control of all sorts of markets they used to have.

If you're talking about a company that starts with an "N", the main one or one of its' many tentacles, the actual proper embedded devs they have - especially if you're talking about firmware etc, rather than pure apps - are few and far between and old enough to be my father (and I turned 35 today) - I worked on a number of projects for various "N" companies over 7 or 8 years, and they were typically shocked by how young I was. Japan is a country where devs are just trained monkeys and you're expected to leave the field by the time you hit 30-ish (one of my friends was transferred from being a senior dev to an HR manager for instance, just because of his age)

I'm talking about a company that starts with an "F." Don't suppose you have any insight on that one? May be a fluke based on the folks I worked with, it sounds like you have better insight in general than I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Genpei Turtle posted:

I'm talking about a company that starts with an "F." Don't suppose you have any insight on that one? May be a fluke based on the folks I worked with, it sounds like you have better insight in general than I do.

Never worked with "F" - only ever worked for, or for companies with, ties to "N", "H", and (Kansai based, well known in at least industry outside Japan) "O" (which was the project where they "improved" my English within the product while I was on honeymoon - product was initially going on sale in the UK. Very glad I don't work in an industry that credits project members like the games or film industry)

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
With all this software talk, I'm wondering who does the programming for the Japanese automotive industry.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

My Imaginary GF posted:

With all this software talk, I'm wondering who does the programming for the Japanese automotive industry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/13/business/international/toyota-issues-another-recall-for-hybrids-this-time-over-software-glitch.html
http://www.edn.com/design/automotive/4423428/Toyota-s-killer-firmware--Bad-design-and-its-consequences

Shinobo
Dec 4, 2002
There is a forthcoming book from a Berkeley political scientist named Stephen Vogel (son of Ezra) that speaks to this exact issue. Keep an eye out for it.

He hasn't told us the title yet.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
Yeah, if you're talking about ECUs and whatnot, that's all done in house. I've never heard of any automotive engine manufacturer farming out the firmware, since it's an integral and critical part of the design, as Toyota's woes with the Prius illustrate. Telematics for commercial vehicles is also done in house, because after sales service and support on it is a pretty decent revenue stream.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

whatever7 posted:

If Konami's coders was so good they wouldn't have nuked the original Raiden game and hired Platium studio to make another one from scratch.

Kojima is also the Japanese business example of old guys hoarding their positions and resources forever and the young guys will never have a chance to have their own creative output in an extremely dynamic business. Al least kojima can get away with it for being an auteur.

That had nothing to do with technical issues, you ignorant fool. They dropped KojiPro's MGS:R because they couldn't figure out how to make the gameplay work with the original concept of being able to cut everything in the environment.

And Kojima has given his people a chance to make Metal Gear games on their own, and the results were Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, and the aborted Metal Gear Solid: Rising.

Christ, I know this is the thread for American ex-pats to endlessly bitch but at least educate yourself slightly on the issue before spewing your ignorant garbage in front of everyone.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

computer parts posted:

China is very good at developing feature clones even if they're highly protectionist.

And for S. Korea, at least Samsung isn't unusuably bad, although some people certainly do not like Touchwiz et all.

No Samsung is unusably bad, at least as bad as Japanese companies.

And I guess China is "good" if you consider malware "good"

whatever7 posted:

If you simply compare android firmware/skin/user apps, China > South Korea > Japan. Even lovely China OEM like Lenovo or ZTE have better software than Sony.

"Android firmware"

Lol

Japan also only has one company making Android phones, I'd say that's 99% of the reason there

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

icantfindaname posted:

Japan also only has one company making Android phones, I'd say that's 99% of the reason there

Panasonic and Kyocera keep making Andrpid phones, the phones are just too terrible to be released in oversea markets. Oh, Nikon made a terrible Android camera too.

If Japan mega CE companies didn't merge out all the competitions, I bet Japan would have been more competitive in the current software-oriented CE business. I bet Aiwa would have made a better smartphone than Sony.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 15, 2014

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

boom boom boom posted:

That had nothing to do with technical issues, you ignorant fool. They dropped KojiPro's MGS:R because they couldn't figure out how to make the gameplay work with the original concept of being able to cut everything in the environment.

And Kojima has given his people a chance to make Metal Gear games on their own, and the results were Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops, and the aborted Metal Gear Solid: Rising.

Christ, I know this is the thread for American ex-pats to endlessly bitch but at least educate yourself slightly on the issue before spewing your ignorant garbage in front of everyone.

lol, better think twice before you spit some ignorant poo poo about kojima when boom boom boom is in town bubba

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

icantfindaname posted:

And I guess China is "good" if you consider malware "good"

"Good" as in talented. Well crafted malware (like Cryptolocker, though that's not Chinese as far as I can tell) requires as much skill as any other piece of software.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

computer parts posted:

"Good" as in talented. Well crafted malware (like Cryptolocker, though that's not Chinese as far as I can tell) requires as much skill as any other piece of software.

Possibly, but skill isn't a factor in "real" software half as much as processes and organisation. I've met lots of skillful Japanese programmers but, I've yet to see a skillfully run Japanese software company.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Stringent posted:

Possibly, but skill isn't a factor in "real" software half as much as processes and organisation. I've met lots of skillful Japanese programmers but, I've yet to see a skillfully run Japanese software company.

Processes and organization is itself a skill (just a skill by a different person, me :v: ).

Actually it's kind of ironic that Japan's able to create an incredible revolution in organization and management for cars but not for anything else.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

computer parts posted:

Processes and organization is itself a skill (just a skill by a different person, me :v: ).

Actually it's kind of ironic that Japan's able to create an incredible revolution in organization and management for cars but not for anything else.

Well, software development has very different processes and organization than making cars, so it's not that hard to imagine

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shuji Nakamura has now unsurprisingly voiced his opposition to this. (Link in Japanese because it hasn't hit English news sites yet.)

In other predictable news:

quote:

The Japanese government asked for a partial revision of a 1996 report on wartime “comfort women” by a United Nations special rapporteur, but the request was immediately rejected.
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/politics/AJ201410160051

Revisionists have been quick to blame the retracted Asahi articles for the international criticism over the comfort woman in order to now be able to question the validity of the entire issue. This will lead to more situations like the one described in this article, where Japan is surprised when it's told that the Asahi articles weren't actually the basis for this criticism:

quote:

Suga cited the Asahi’s retraction of the articles as a reason for making the revision request.

quote:

The 1996 U.N. report does not quote from any Asahi article, including those related to Yoshida.

quote:

About 300 words in the report are devoted to Yoshida.

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 18, 2014

mystes
May 31, 2006

In a slightly amusing coincidence, both the New York Times and (the pretty mediocre/trashy) Shukan Gendai have articles right now that criticize the evaluation of employees based on individual performance for creating bad incentives, but with different solutions:

The NYT Article argues for conducting evaluations on teams.

The Shukan Gendai article (paywalled link) argues for the traditional system of automatic promotions.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 19, 2014

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So apparently a bunch of ministers resigned? Could someone please give us (i.e. me) a quick summary of what happened?

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Vagabundo posted:

So apparently a bunch of ministers resigned? Could someone please give us (i.e. me) a quick summary of what happened?

They basically resigned over allegations of misuse of expenses

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

For gently caress's sake.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Vagabundo posted:

Trade and Industry Minister Yuko Obuchi had ~20 million yen* (~$200K) in excess expenses going out for parties with supporters and gifts, and gave ~2 million yen* (~$20K) to a business ran by an in-law. The former looks like giving gifts to voters, which is illegal, and the latter looks like a mix of public and private funds, which probably runs afoul of the law as well.

Justice Minister Midori Matsushima passed out fans with her likeness on them to supporters, which runs afoul of election and political finance laws.

*Numbers are ballpark and off the top of my head from what I've seen in the news here, everything else shows up here: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-29684631

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What a rookie. Hiring a sound truck to scream out your name is more effective than passing out fans. Legal too.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Isn't that just regular party practice of just throwing money at a problem?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Did Abe just pick some real snowbirds, or is this kind of thing SOP and these ladies are getting called out?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wait, so one of them was passing out bazillions of taxpayer yen to family and friends and the other was giving supporters cheap paper fans, and they both get the same punishment?

edit: should I be reading anything into the fact that the latter is a woman?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 20, 2014

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: should I be reading anything into the fact that the latter is a woman?

They're both women, mate.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Vagabundo posted:

They're both women, mate.
Oh right, duh.

edit: so should I be reading something into them BOTH being women, in a government that doesn't have very many women in it?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 20, 2014

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait, so one of them was passing out bazillions of taxpayer yen to family and friends and the other was giving supporters cheap paper fans, and they both get the same punishment?

I don't think that Obuchi's money was taxpayer money, per se. The main issue was that by covering the costs of events she was essentially giving gifts to voters in her district which is akin to buying votes. As for Matsushima, I think she was/is on the cusp of having charges brought against her in court. Neither of them have been punished yet and have only resigned their ministerial positions (they're still MPs).

Stringent posted:

Did Abe just pick some real snowbirds, or is this kind of thing SOP and these ladies are getting called out?

I really wonder about that, too. I guess the benefit to the opposition parties is that it keeps Abe from calling snap elections and using a new mandate to push through the 10% consumption tax, but I would think they would have sat on this until a more opportune time if the source of the info was them. I wonder if this isn't some intra-LDP inter-faction stuff.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Stringent posted:

I used to regularly go drinking with a few members of the prefectural parliament (a far cry from national politics, I know), and as far as I can tell this is basically just how politicians roll. I reckon the women got hung out to dry because they're newcomers and don't have as much clout/guanxi as some of the old names who are 3rd/4th generation politicians.

Edit: I don't think this is at all specific to Japan either.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 20, 2014

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mr. Fix It posted:

I don't think that Obuchi's money was taxpayer money, per se. The main issue was that by covering the costs of events she was essentially giving gifts to voters in her district which is akin to buying votes.
She also failed to report the use of these funds and there's a separate allegation that she used a lot of campaign funds to buy stuff from a business run by her family members.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Hopefully this causes Shinzo Abe to resign before the new year.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"

Genpei Turtle posted:

I think a lot of it is just the way that the Japanese software development industry evolved. Japan was (and still is in some ways) a leader in embedded software development during the 80s and 90s, and a lot of their industry was oriented toward that end. The skillset doesn't necessarily transfer well though--programming for a bare-metal microcontroller is a lot different than programming for computers where the hardware is obfuscated by several layers with the OS. Generally what you tend to see is that the further away from the metal a given Japanese program is, the crappier it's likely to be. You see that sort of "embedded programming" style creep into their general purpose software a lot too--to use the earlier game example, Japanese Windows games are liable to be heavily dependent on the environment they were developed in, relying on arcane version-specific DirectX calls or use of a very specific subset of graphics cards. Use any even slightly differing hardware/OS configuration and it's liable to flat-out not work.

I think this old blog post I read a while back has something of a good summary--while some of it is silly (comparing the NES to the PC-88/PC-98, for example) the "appliances vs. computers" part is pretty spot on I think. That fits right in with an industry that's primarily focused on embedded software development rather than general-purpose computing. You still see that even today--Japan has lots of electronic "gadgets" that are quite well programmed, and plenty of people still forgo using a general-use computer, preferring to access the Internet solely through their cell phone, for example. Japan's falling behind rapidly though worldwide because so many Japanese companies are set in their old ways and refuse to change, when the open-environment general-computing model is becoming increasingly dominant.

My grad school advisor did quite a bit of research on this topic and his argument (from what I've picked up in lectures and conversation) is that Japanese software design and organization was heavily influenced by Japanese architecture design and organization methods. This lead to a lot of wasteful and sclerotic designing from first principles and waterfall style development. I'm sure there are plenty of opinions about why Japanese software development has been such a flop, but that's his. He used to work for MITI back in the day, and the frustrations of that job (e.g. The failure of the Fifth Generation Computer) are where he got his ideas.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Grouchio posted:

Hopefully this causes Shinzo Abe to resign before the new year.

Haha, not likely. I'd be pleased if it happened, though.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Stringent posted:

Coincidence that they're both women and got hit with a scandal, but business as usual for ministers getting booted. Usually just foot-in-mouth disease is enough.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Wasn't one of them a daughter of some former prime minister?

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

^^^^^ Yeah, Yuko is the daughter of Keizo, predecessor of Mori, who I mention below.

I doubt either of them has enough personal clout to make it worthwhile for leadership to try and quash the scandals, so don't let the door hit you on the way out. Remember Yoshiro Mori? Dude couldn't hardly complete a sentence without pissing someone off, but he was so well connected that it took his approval rating dropping to single digits to get rid of him.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Coincidence that they're both women and got hit with a scandal, but business as usual for ministers getting booted. Usually just foot-in-mouth disease is enough.

Is it a coincidence, though? They seem like pretty small infractions that I can imagine a lot of their other peers are also guilty of.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

ErIog posted:

Is it a coincidence, though? They seem like pretty small infractions that I can imagine a lot of their other peers are also guilty of.

Matsushima's I'll grant but isn't Obuchi's a lot more than a small infraction? (Granted, again, probably going on all over the place but...)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I figured every last person in every government in the world did that stuff, and the people who get pinched for it are the ones who didn't suck up to the right people.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

They're not being protected, but there could be any number of reasons for that. Matsushima's case in particular looks like there could be a lot of angles involved, what with her being Justice Minister. The fact that her own subordinates couldn't be bothered to talk someone out of making a big stink over some cheapo folding fans suggests she may have run afoul of internal ministry politics. As an interested bystander, it seems likely with the amount of heat the Abe administration is taking for various heinous poo poo in the press, these two were sacrificed to avoid giving the media yet another stick to beat them with by trying to fight it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"

Samurai Sanders posted:

I figured every last person in every government in the world did that stuff, and the people who get pinched for it are the ones who didn't suck up to the right people.

To varying degrees I think you're right. Japan's ranking in the "Corruption Perceptions Index" is pretty rough considering it's just above the USA and below Hong Kong the land of unaccountable government, powerful gangs, and unfettered oligarchy. Then again I don't know if it's worth putting any stock in the CPI.