Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Link to the reddit thread? Interested hearing about this other evidence / other suspected times he's done well and suspected of cheating

http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/2jsuue/suspect_shuffling_at_worchester_scg_standard/

Turns out this guy has been doing this on camera since 2009.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Interestingly this is what they had to say about Khans:

So in their mind the revenue drivers are brand and story and not the design or the cards themselves. I'm surprised. Cool gold cards and a fun limited format are what I think make most players excited and open their wallets. Maybe I'm wrong?

e: If he were right why did they drop the novels / ebooks then?

Strikes me as "the real reasons probably would go over shareholders' heads, so let's just tell them 'it's fantasy stories that are appealing to our players,' which is easier to accept at face value and move on." (Or maybe that's one level removed - this is what the game designers tell the suits that write these reports to begin with.)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Took Boss Sligh to Standard tonight. 2-1, not bad.

Round 1 was vs. Ascendancy combo.
Game one I had a decent opener but he went off turn 4 and that was that. Out come a bunch of useless burn spells, in come the Eidolons of the Great Revel and some Magma Spray to kill Rattleclaws and Mystics. Game 2 I had a nut draw; all four of my Titan's Strengths were in my top 10 cards and I just ran him over. Game three he could not find a dork and got run over.

Round 2 vs. Abzan midrange. Game 1 I had a beautiful opener but he landed siege rhino, siege rhino. It was close; I still got him to 2, and if either of my last two draws had been Hammerhand, Titan's Strength, Coordinated Assault or any kind of burn it would have been game, but c'est la vie. Game two I vomited out my hand and then just turned enough mens sideways to win. He landed a Courser but I managed to trade a Frenzied Goblin for it with Lightning Strike. Game three I kept a one-lander on the draw (which may have been stupid) and didn't get my second until turn 4 or so. I was still in it, but he Drown in Sorrow'd and drew his second Drown (I could see through Courser) so I couldn't overcommit to the board and his Wingmate Roc slammed the door.

Round 3 vs. UR Robots. Game one he had the turn three ensouled Ornithopter while I was tapped out, then proceeded to beat me down over three turns before Shrapnel Blasting it. He had enough Magma Jets to keep me from racing. Game two I came out very aggressively and held up burn, so I was able to Searing Blood his Ornithopter off the board. I also had a blowout where he Magma Jetted an attacking Swiftspear and I had the Coordinated Assault in hand to crash in for 6 (between her and Hoplite). Game 3 he went to 5 and just developed a board way too slowly, and once again I had the Searing Blood for his Ornithopter. After the round I gave him two Daring Thief and a Chief Engineer and pointed him towards the mono-U robot decklists people have been running. Guy loves the deck and it's obvious from how he talks about it.

Spent $6 credit to get in, won $8 credit so I am feeling pretty good.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Dude's literally using every basic Magician's shuffle in the book. I'm surprised more people don't get caught doing this, honestly. It's not hard to learn basic Magician shuffles.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Interestingly this is what they had to say about Khans:

So in their mind the revenue drivers are brand and story and not the design or the cards themselves. I'm surprised. Cool gold cards and a fun limited format are what I think make most players excited and open their wallets. Maybe I'm wrong?

e: If he were right why did they drop the novels / ebooks then?

It makes sense to me. I think that even players who play primarily for the competition/mechanics have some awareness and opinions on the story. The big reveal of what happened to Elspeth for example was discussed a good bit in this thread, despite the fact that it has no relevance on gameplay. I also think people are interested in the Khans story, it has hooks into the Eldrazi and Nicol Bolas storylines, we're expecting to see Ugin the Spirit Dragon in Fate Reforged. Part of that interest is because people enjoyed the Eldrazi as cards, ROE as a draft environment, and people expect a new colorless Planeswalker (Ugin) but it does tie together I think. The books/ebooks just didn't sell and became a waste of creative resources. They put the story in the cards and on the website, those who want it get it, and it reaches a wider audience.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Sure, but you'll admit that first and foremost, it is a game. Otherwise, a TCG isn't a very good story telling medium.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

GonSmithe posted:

Dude's literally using every basic Magician's shuffle in the book. I'm surprised more people don't get caught doing this, honestly. It's not hard to learn basic Magician shuffles.

I just remembered that he played Andrew Boswell in the semis, so I decided to check out Boswell's twitter to see what that experience was like, since it wasn't on camera.

https://twitter.com/KaolinTiger/status/524286222743519233

quote:

In my SF match, I started by mulliganing to 4. I could not find a hand with lands. Game 2, I mulliganed to 5, keeping 1 land with 4 spells.

People who play against Trevor are just SO unlucky...

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Sounds like a nice guy.

quote:

Isn't this the guy that called some kid the "N" word at Brothers Grimm in Selden, NY? If I recall correctly he got hit in the face with a chair because of it.

That's correct.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

So they link to this youtube as the cheat from 2009: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYUtISBAv0g

At 8:14 he starts shuffling his opponent's deck and allegedly "finds a card he wants his opponent to draw and doesn't shuffle it from the top. 2009". Maybe I'm just blind but I don't see where it's obvious that he saw the card that was placed on top. I agree that the first card that ends up on top never gets shuffled back in, but it came from the middle of the deck when he first began mash shuffling, not from the bottom or some other visible spot and I don't see him thumbing from the bottom. Does anyone else see it?

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 21, 2014

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

There is a difference between appreciating the mythology or knowing it, and caring about it. I don't think I have met a single person that actually cares about the magic story.

I feel like this belief stems from surveys and questions such as "How well did you like the story, theme, and atmosphere of the Innistraad block on a scale of 1-5" To which I would answer 5, even though that was very small factor in my enjoyment of the set.

Story is important, but its definitely a secondary concern to things like gameplay. Its not something most players care about either, just something that adds value to an already enjoyable game.

EDIT: I would also argue that more people care about flavor than story. New Phyrexia is a good example of this. People were excited for the return not because that actually gave 2 shits about the plot and how things panned out, but because the plane and the Phyrexians had cool flavor.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 21, 2014

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Hey, you guys, you're not allowed to run Griselbrand anymore because he died.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I hate lorechat personally

Also watching I'm watching LSV's UR Delver video posted today on CFB where his opponent Mana Leaks his Spell Pierce instead of just paying two, lol

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Hey, you guys, you're not allowed to run Griselbrand anymore because he died.
Isn't this a thing that actually happens in L5r?

Wadjamaloo posted:

There is a difference between appreciating the mythology or knowing it, and caring about it. I don't think I have met a single person that actually cares about the magic story.
A good friend of mine did quit the game because it got too silly, at one point. He still hates the thought of squirrel tokens actually being a thing. I know that's not exactly the same as quitting due to story, but atmosphere really does matter to some people. A ton of players want to run with "badass" or "cool" or "unique" creatures. I mean, look at people who have "pet" decks. Usually, it's not for gameplay reasons, but because they like murdering people with goats or minotaurs or else summoning "THE BIGGEST MONSTER" or what-have-you.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I hate lorechat personally

Also watching I'm watching LSV's UR Delver video posted today on CFB where his opponent Mana Leaks his Spell Pierce instead of just paying two, lol
This is a thing I have done on purpose, although usually spell piercing a mana leak. In this case it was probably stupid.

During ALA/ZEN standard I played runeflare trap combo. The matchup against UW control was an interesting one that the UW player never fully understood. The games always ended in a giant counter war over runeflare trap. The UW players often misunderstood the war as being about card advantage, but since we both had a grip of 10+ cards and I had probably just time walked a bunch it was about mana advantage.
Most of UW counters cost 2 or 3 cc, while mine were all 1 or 2. I would often spell pierce a mana leak despite having lots of mana open just because I was trying to leverage their mana instead of their hand size.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

MiddleEastBeast posted:

His opponents played super sloppily, honestly so did LSV but he points out all of his own mistakes.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Wadjamaloo posted:

This is a thing I have done on purpose, although usually spell piercing a mana leak. In this case it was probably stupid.

During ALA/ZEN standard I played runeflare trap combo. The matchup against UW control was an interesting one that the UW player never fully understood. The games always ended in a giant counter war over runeflare trap. The UW players often misunderstood the war as being about card advantage, but since we both had a grip of 10+ cards and I had probably just time walked a bunch it was about mana advantage.
Most of UW counters cost 2 or 3 cc, while mine were all 1 or 2. I would often spell pierce a mana leak despite having lots of mana open just because I was trying to leverage their mana instead of their hand size.

The reason it's stupid is because casting Mana Leak costs you exactly as much mana as just paying for the Spell Pierce.

Doing the opposite (casting Pierce on a Mana Leak) is a totally legitimate play.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Brownhat posted:

I had a player demand I give him a game loss at an SCG Open once because he forgot to desideboard in game one. They had already started game two. And no, you don't give a game loss in that situation. You make sure they weren't doing it on purpose, then you move on. When I wouldn't give him a game loss, he conceded the current game.

Tournament Error — Deck/Decklist Problem has a prescribed penalty of Game Loss, so that that seems like a straight forward Game Loss at Competitive to me.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Hasbro's Q3 earnings call was today. After the 'hearthstone isn't a competitive threat to digital magic' laffs in Q2 I was expecting more but it was pretty tame.
- Q3 revenue >10% higher than Q2 (conspiracy probably didn't sell that well)

Conspiracy outperformed their highest hopes for it.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

kingcobweb posted:

Conspiracy outperformed their highest hopes for it.

I hope so, because Conspiracy was awesome, and I want them to make more/just be able to always draft Conspiracy whenever.

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012

Veyrall posted:

Isn't this a thing that actually happens in L5r?
No, personalities stay legal until they cycle out.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Wadjamaloo posted:

I feel like this belief stems from surveys and questions such as "How well did you like the story, theme, and atmosphere of the Innistraad block on a scale of 1-5" To which I would answer 5, even though that was very small factor in my enjoyment of the set.

Story is important, but its definitely a secondary concern to things like gameplay. Its not something most players care about either, just something that adds value to an already enjoyable game.

EDIT: I would also argue that more people care about flavor than story. New Phyrexia is a good example of this. People were excited for the return not because that actually gave 2 shits about the plot and how things panned out, but because the plane and the Phyrexians had cool flavor.

*raises hand*

While you're right that it's easy to conflate flavor and story (and they are intertwined to a fair degree), story definitely matters. I mean, to use your own example of New Phyrexia, they originally had it planned that it would start with showing you New Phyrexia, and then later you find out that it was Mirrodin all along. And I'm sure that block would have been fine, but it misses the compelling part of the story (the Phyrexians actually taking over). And they've been getting more effective about actually getting that story told through the cards. I doubt you could tell me anything about the story of Ravnica just by looking at the cards, but RTR (while a mediocre story), at least gets the gist of what's happening across. I imagine most people know that Heliod killed Elspeth, and while they're unlikely to be hugely invested in either character, that still deepens their enjoyment of the game as whole.

And while people don't play Magic just for the story and flavor, I do think it's a larger factor in people's enjoyment of the game than they tend to realize. It spices things up a lot.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That's all well and good, and I'm sure the story is part of the appeal for a bunch of people, probably the kids more so than the adults which is cool, but the quote is insane.

Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner posted:

Yes, Tarkir has been a great release. The fans have really enjoyed it thus far. Still early days, because you know it’s just been released. We talked about earlier in the year the fact that the releases really do matter. This is a storytelling brand first and foremost...
It enforces the belief that Hasbro has no idea what they have in WotC.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

The Lord of Hats posted:

And they've been getting more effective about actually getting that story told through the cards. [...] I imagine most people know that Heliod killed Elspeth, and while they're unlikely to be hugely invested in either character, that still deepens their enjoyment of the game as whole.

This is not a good example for your point, though, since it very deliberately was not shown on the cards. (Elspeth killing Xenagos was, but not Heliod killing Elspeth.)

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Carrasco posted:

This is not a good example for your point, though, since it very deliberately was not shown on the cards. (Elspeth killing Xenagos was, but not Heliod killing Elspeth.)

Save Hero's Downfall for JIN, comission art of Heliod slaying Elspeth. Boom: hire me Wizards.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Is there a new bug, or any reason that Magic Online won't give you priority to morph in combat? I attack with a morph, he blocks, it doesn't give me the chance to unmorph but just resolves combat.

It's happened twice today, and once it lost me a game.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Did you accidentally remove the stop on your declare blockers step? Check if the little arrow at the bottom is filled or not.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Did you accidentally remove the stop on your declare blockers step? Check if the little arrow at the bottom is filled or not.

Apparently. How is that even possible when I haven't changed the settings in months.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
It's ludicrously easy to misclick and hit the little arrow instead of a card in your hand and not even notice.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Wadjamaloo posted:

Yeah as another poster said, spell piercing a mana leak is obviously a legitimate play in many circumstances. The opposite is obviously never correct (unless someone is about to monstrous a Stormbreath Dragon against you or hitting you with a Sword of War and Peace I guess??).

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Yeah as another poster said, spell piercing a mana leak is obviously a legitimate play in many circumstances. The opposite is obviously never correct (unless someone is about to monstrous a Stormbreath Dragon against you or hitting you with a Sword of War and Peace I guess??).

You're on 5 staring down two 4/5 goyfs with young pyromancer in play. Your opponent goes to attacks, you vapor snag one, snag gets spell pierced (only card he has left in hand), you mana leak the pierce to chump the other goyf and swing for lethal on the rebound (because your opponent was on 4 before you cast snag).

Yeah I'm not sure how much more absurd this gets or how that's the best play either.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 21, 2014

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Or if there were a mechanic where you could pay for spells by exiling cards from your graveyard?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Or if they made creatures that got better the more spells you cast.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Applebees posted:

Tournament Error — Deck/Decklist Problem has a prescribed penalty of Game Loss, so that that seems like a straight forward Game Loss at Competitive to me.

I have no way to confirm he presented an illegal deck in game one, because we're currently in game two. We don't just game loss people because they tell us to.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Trying to watch this TWoo draft and jesus gently caress it just makes me want to punch him.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Mana Leaking a Spell Pierce isn't always wrong. Hell, even if they pay/counter your Leak, you can still pay for the Pierce. Sure it's not the best value more often than not, but "obviously never correct" isn't right.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

A Big Dark Yak posted:

I hope so, because Conspiracy was awesome, and I want them to make more/just be able to always draft Conspiracy whenever.

They should make a set that's both a sequel to Conspiracy, and the next Un-set.

Unconspiracy

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
As long as it's black border. Conspiracy had some pro reprints.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Serperoth posted:

Mana Leaking a Spell Pierce isn't always wrong. Hell, even if they pay/counter your Leak, you can still pay for the Pierce. Sure it's not the best value more often than not, but "obviously never correct" isn't right.

It's about as correct as discarding two artifacts after casting Thirst for Knowledge. The end result being that you've spent the same amount of mana, but have moved one additional card from your hand to your graveyard.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Jabor posted:

It's about as correct as discarding two artifacts after casting Thirst for Knowledge. The end result being that you've spent the same amount of mana, but have moved one additional card from your hand to your graveyard.

But you're one card closer to threshold and have added one to your storm count. It does have its uses, however niche. I guess you could also be looking for hellbent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Jabor posted:

Sure but I'm going to delve next turn and need the gas :) Delve explains everything.

• Locked thread