Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
One thing that popped into my head with this episode was that when the tardis sprang out of lockdown mode, it should've had it's default shape (whatever that may be, possibly a cylinder) for a couple seconds before taking the police box mode.

Has a tardis changing shape ever been shown- does it happen before your eyes or does it just dematerialize and show up again as the new shape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Cool and fun episode. Anyway my missy guess is that she's moffat.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

NarkyBark posted:

Has a tardis changing shape ever been shown- does it happen before your eyes or does it just dematerialize and show up again as the new shape?

I think it dematerializes and takes the new shape. They fixed the chameleon circuit for a bit during the Six years and the Master disguised his TARDIS as a few things in the Three era.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

DoctorWhat posted:

You'd need an awful lot of energy to achieve time travel. I think there's a specific number but it's not coming to me...

1.041×10^9 thermal kilocalories per hour

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jsor posted:

1.041×10^9 thermal kilocalories per hour

1.041×10^9 thermal kilocalories per hour?

ONE POINT OH FOUR ONE TIMES TEN-TO-THE-NINTH THERMAL KILOCALORIES PER HOUR!?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bicyclops posted:

For fifty pounds :stare:

I hope if you can find a way to conduct enough energy into it, it becomes an actual time machine!

Yeah but then the Doctor steps out, calls you a monster and banishes you into another reality.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

He names you the goon.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Spikeguy posted:

He names you the goon.

The Lifeless.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Back into posting at Outpost Gallifrey, Rassilon.... BACK INTO HELL!

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I name you....the dateless!

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Son of perdition. Little horn! Most unclean!

I do miss the old names.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Lessail posted:

Cool and fun episode. Anyway my missy guess is that she's moffat.

Little Miss Moffatt :aaa:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm gonna be on the Series 8 DVD bonus features!

(by way of the World Tour documentary)

so that's p. cool

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Aside from a bit of unhinged dialogue, has Missy actually done anything especially villainous?

Though if we're still playing "which classic villain is she" then I will put in a vote for her being the Master... of the Land of Fiction

Or Omega.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

docbeard posted:

Aside from a bit of unhinged dialogue, has Missy actually done anything especially villainous?

Though if we're still playing "which classic villain is she" then I will put in a vote for her being the Master... of the Land of Fiction

Or Omega.

Nuh-uh, Big Finish established that was Zoe!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

docbeard posted:

Or Omega.

She's not Omega, BF almost definitely wouldn't be allowed to use Omega in the new Gallifrey boxset if the Beeb were using him.

Same goes for the Rani.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Except Dark Eyes 3 comes out right after the finale, and heavily features the Master, which seems the most likely red herring, if not the actual answer? (Like, I'm fairly sure Moff at least wants us to THINK she's the Master)

Also, the new Gallifrey is a one-shot, not a box set.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

She's not Omega, BF almost definitely wouldn't be allowed to use Omega in the new Gallifrey boxset if the Beeb were using him.

Same goes for the Rani.

Huh? Has the new series stopped them from using any other classic villains before?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Except Dark Eyes 3 comes out right after the finale, and heavily features the Master, which seems the most likely red herring, if not the actual answer? (Like, I'm fairly sure Moff at least wants us to THINK she's the Master)

Also, the new Gallifrey is a one-shot, not a box set.

Exactly, so she's not the Master either. And depending on what the runtime on Intervention Earth is, the terminology's kinda wonky, innit?

Anyway, she's probably sodding Death or some poo poo (if she's anyone). God, "Master" turned to poo poo as soon as they brought in sodding Death.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

thexerox123 posted:

Huh? Has the new series stopped them from using any other classic villains before?

The Master's conspicuous absence from Big Finish between 2003 and 2011 would seem to suggest some sort of embargo, especially that Six Lost Story that was adapted from a Master story but which wasn't able to make the villain explicitly the Master.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The BBC isn't going to let an upcoming release from a niche radio play company prevent them from bringing an iconic character back to their hugely popular worldwide tv show. C'mon, guys. Seriously.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The argument is not that Big Finish would block the Beeb, it's that the Beeb would block Big Finish as they have done in the past.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The BBC isn't going to let an upcoming release from a niche radio play company prevent them from bringing an iconic character back to their hugely popular worldwide tv show. C'mon, guys. Seriously.

I suspect that the rationale is that the BBC wouldn't allow that niche radio play company to use the linchpin of the latest season of their hugely popular worldwide TV show rather than that Big Finish has any veto power over TV Who.

Not sure I buy it either way. I'd think they'd welcome the cross promotion opportunities but then I am not a UK network executive.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Barry Foster posted:

In other n-DOO, DOO DOO DOO-ews, I've been re-DOO, DOO DOO DOO-listening to some Eighth Doctor DOO, DOO DOO DOO audios, and got to Something Inside.

The incidental music is teeth DOO, DOO DOO DOO grindingly repetitive, intrusive and irritating. It's DOO, DOO DOO easily the worst part of a totally mediocre DOO, DOO DOO DOO audio.

Nonsense! Where else will you get a story where the Eighth Doctor loses his memory and gets tortured?

oh :ohdear:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I actually like Something Inside, but yeah, just reading your post triggered hearing that repetitive score in my head. Yikes.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

GonSmithe posted:

I actually like Something Inside, but yeah, just reading your post triggered hearing that repetitive score in my head. Yikes.

There's also only so many times you can hear the words 'brain worm' before they lose all meaning. That point happens roughly halfway into it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's more that the BBC would kindly suggest "Hey, we're actually planning on using those characters, would you mind holding off?" and even if they did not wield the legal authority to just tell Big Finish to hold off, Big Finish is the goofy, forgotten little brother who would just say "Sure, buddy!"

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

So one of the nice things about "An Adventure in Space and Time" is that it comes with the DVD of "An Unearthly Child." And one of the best parts about that is that there are a bunch of comedy sketches on that disc, most including Mark Gatiss and one including Peter Davison, who spends the entire sketch tied up with tape over his mouth and a look of absolute terror on his face. And another features a bunch of Big Finish folks hamming it up in a hallway.

Now I have to go rewatch "The Five-ish Doctors." Some say it's a classic.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Jet Jaguar posted:

And one of the best parts about that is that there are a bunch of comedy sketches on that disc, most including Mark Gatiss and one including Peter Davison, who spends the entire sketch tied up with tape over his mouth and a look of absolute terror on his face.

"Do you think it would be all right to.. kiss Peter?"
"Yes."

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The absolute golden scene in the Five(ish) Doctors is when they catch John Barrowman with a wife and kids.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bicyclops posted:

It's more that the BBC would kindly suggest "Hey, we're actually planning on using those characters, would you mind holding off?" and even if they did not wield the legal authority to just tell Big Finish to hold off, Big Finish is the goofy, forgotten little brother who would just say "Sure, buddy!"

Actually, Big Finish has to submit all their storylines to the BBC/Who production office for approval. Ignoring their directives would result in a loss of license.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Davros1 posted:

Actually, Big Finish has to submit all their storylines to the BBC/Who production office for approval. Ignoring their directives would result in a loss of license.

So what you’re saying it someone at the BBC APPROVED Minuet in Hell?!?

Monsters. Publically funded monsters.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, at that point it was probably a rubber stamp thing. No need to care that much about a dead franchise, right?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Gaz-L posted:

Well, at that point it was probably a rubber stamp thing. No need to care that much about a dead franchise, right?

For some people, dead franchises are what life is all about!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

qntm posted:

Okay, I didn't post this after the previous episode, but twice is interesting. Undead soldier, finally allowed to rest, salutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz6kD-XJ9pA&t=88s

If you want to suggest that they're taking plot ideas from Zelda games this season, you can do a lot more direct than that.

Nothing is original anymore.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

qntm posted:

Okay, I didn't post this after the previous episode, but twice is interesting. Undead soldier, finally allowed to rest, salutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz6kD-XJ9pA&t=88s

Well, a bunch of the music in Mummy was very Scooby-Doo, and the Mummy saluting reminded me of the zombies in Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

Well, a bunch of the music in Mummy was very Scooby-Doo, and the Mummy saluting reminded me of the zombies in Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island.

I went to Bub from the original Day of the Dead myself.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

The Master's conspicuous absence from Big Finish between 2003 and 2011 would seem to suggest some sort of embargo, especially that Six Lost Story that was adapted from a Master story but which wasn't able to make the villain explicitly the Master.
There weren't any TV Master stories in most of those years though? Kindof seems like the veto has little to do with what stories they're planning to run.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
If you're planning to bring a character back you don't just stop them doing things for the year you're actually doing it surely, that would be a huge giveaway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just a note, thanks to the peeps who suggested The Thick of It for more Capaldi goodness. I've been blazing through it for the past 2 days.

• Locked thread