Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

Those Shi'a uprisings are always summarily crushed, in my experience. :shrug:

They're like fleas nipping at a bear.

The thing is, as long as there's no Shia Caliph they'll keep on coming, and eventually they'll show up at a point where the Abbassids are fighting a tough war or have a poo poo ruler or are already undergoing a revolt and wreak havoc.

Note that this is my experience from the Old Gods startdate where the Sunni caliphate is a bit less far-reaching so this might not apply to Charlie and pals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

BBJoey posted:

The thing is, as long as there's no Shia Caliph they'll keep on coming, and eventually they'll show up at a point where the Abbassids are fighting a tough war or have a poo poo ruler or are already undergoing a revolt and wreak havoc.

Note that this is my experience from the Old Gods startdate where the Sunni caliphate is a bit less far-reaching so this might not apply to Charlie and pals.

Considering that they can't spawn when the Shia Caliphate exists, and the Hashimids form it as an Abbasid vassal within one year of the Charlemagne start, no it doesn't really apply to the Charlemagne start. :downs:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

:stare:

So the king of united Middle and West Francia, a direct descendant of Karl himself, just turned Sunni and brought most of his vassals with him. Naturally, this caused all five Catholic holy orders to spring into existence and the Pope to immediately call a crusade, but it turns out that the Karlings, when backed up by both the Umayyads and the Abbasids, are more than capable of taking on literally everyone else, including the HRE and the goddamn Byzantines. At one point there must have been 200,000 Catholic troops converging on Western Europe, but every single stack was Dikembe Mutombo'd away by a loving unholy alliance. Oh, and to rub it in, some dumbfuck Karling duke killed my badass warrior-queen in single combat.

Help us, Aztecs, you're our only hope.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Uh... well, I made the Shia caliphate not held by anyone, but it seems I'm too late - it's 900 and there are no Shiites left in the world. The Abbasids stretch from Mauretania to Baluchistan. :psyboom:

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
The Karling Empire is all of the HRE, France, and Italy at the moment(I am Scandinavia), and they just helped win the crusade against my England holdings. I decided I better expand east quickly so I could gather some territory and maybe stack up against the Karlings better....and then I notice the Abbasids are invading the Khazars, very close to my holdings in Russia. Maybe I'll try and hold out until the Mongols come and see if they can even put a dent in the Abbasids.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

:stonk:

Is there anything I can do to stop the Abbasids? The Byzantines didn't call me to war, and I wasn't paying attention :(

It's taking a lot longer to reunify Charlemagne's empire than I was hoping. Should I make an antipope and try to depose the real pope? I don't need the money, but it'd give me claims on the kingdoms I'd need, right?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm really liking the new mechanics, aside from the utterly unstoppable southern blob. The tribal system is awesome and the winter mechanics add a layer to war planning that was totally missing previously.

I do wish that the AI would figure out how to handle the zeal/legend event troops though. There's a lot of negative piety/prestige going around for AI tribals.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

Uh... well, I made the Shia caliphate not held by anyone, but it seems I'm too late - it's 900 and there are no Shiites left in the world. The Abbasids stretch from Mauretania to Baluchistan. :psyboom:

The thing about the Rise of the Shia event is that there doesn't have to be any Shia. As long as there's no Shia Caliph, any Sunni duke or higher with more than 10 decadence is enough to get a Shia doomstack dropped.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Ofaloaf posted:

Right now we're chugging through a lot of work on Mexico. Shadeoses made all the Mexican provinces and it's goddamned amazing. Now it's a matter of finding flags for all the titles and figuring out what exactly to do with it all now that's here.

A Most Serene Republic of Veracruz would do a good job counteracting the New Orleans powerhouse.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
So how do I get people to join my lower crown authority faction?

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

So I've been playing tribals and I noticed something. I set my marshal, steward and chaplain to produce event troops and while the steward's and chaplain's events fire at a good clip, I haven't seen the marshal's raiders pop up even once. Is this just the RNG at work or is it potentially bugged? Has anyone gotten raiders to spawn?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ragingsheep posted:

So how do I get people to join my lower crown authority faction?

Sow dissent with your chancellor to make them dislike the current ruler, or scheme with your spymaster on their territory for a chance at an event that gets them to join your faction.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Erik the Heathen start is way easier to get off the ground now. You often start with close to 100% faction strength and if you conquer that Norwegian province, Norway will declare war over it and beat up Sweden for you. I dunno what it is that makes you so much stronger now...maybe all the tribal holdings??

Cytokinesis
Aug 18, 2008

He sees the power of a god behind it. A power that has bested him!
I've been having a really annoying bug regarding inheritance and republics lately.

I'm playing a Byzantime Empire game and I have four republics under me, but every single one of them have without fail and multiple times upon succession broke away from me and the title of Doge has been destroyed. Does anyone know why this keeps happening? It's really annoying, because all their trade posts get destroyed and they keep having to start over again.

I'm almost fed up with having any vassal republics now.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Can someone explain tribes and tribal mechanics? How do they work? What are they for?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Automated Posting posted:

So I've been playing tribals and I noticed something. I set my marshal, steward and chaplain to produce event troops and while the steward's and chaplain's events fire at a good clip, I haven't seen the marshal's raiders pop up even once. Is this just the RNG at work or is it potentially bugged? Has anyone gotten raiders to spawn?

I definitely have but it definitely seems rarer than the other two.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Bloody Pom posted:

:staredog:

It's times like this that I really appreciate how Europe's geography forms nice, easily defined territories.

I can't wait for the next release. :unsmigghh:

It doesn't necessarily form nice territories - that's why SWMH's obsession with 'historical' territories makes everything look awful.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

AdjectiveNoun posted:

It doesn't necessarily form nice territories - that's why SWMH's obsession with 'historical' territories makes everything look awful.

baarle-nassau.jpg

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

alcaras posted:

Can someone explain tribes and tribal mechanics? How do they work? What are they for?

Tribes are a holding in most of the less 'civilized' regions of the map - in the earliest start, Scotland, Ireland, and most holdings east of Saxony and north of Byzantium are tribal. They by default have less troops and money than a castle, but they get a pretty substantial multiplier based on how many empty holdings there are in the county. They can build income and fort upgrades with money, but the troop number and recruitment speed upgrades cost prestige instead.

Tribals get new councilor assignments too - there's ones to increase prestige (by a hefty amount, about 2 per month if it's a good councilor) that has a chance of spawning some troops that want war, one that increases piety and can spawn some troops that want a holy war, and one that can spawn troops that want to raid. As well as an insanely powerful assignment to 'settle tribes' that culture-flips counties pretty fast. They can also spend 500 prestige to spawn 2500 event troops (*good* ones - a lot of heavy infantry and cavalry) that disappear once any current wars are over, and can make titular kingdoms and empires once they have three duchies or kingdoms, respectively, allowing them to ignore this 'de jure' malarkey.

The downsides are pretty hefty though. Tribal rulers are restricted to Gavelkind and Elective Gavelkind governments, and they have to switch their Tribal Law to max and upgrade their primary holding to max level (as well as reform if they're pagan) before they can switch to a non-tribal government type. And it's pretty all-or-nothing since once a Tribe turns Feudal or Republican, they get very brutal Wrong Holding penalties for any tribes they still have in their demesne and any vassals that haven't made the switch.

So they can snowball really drat hard behind a successful leader, especially if they're based in rich lands, but the very second said leader dies things dissolve hard. Elective Gavelkind will even create titles to more evenly divide land between sons when a ruler dies, and vassals have the option of going independent without even having to fight for it. It's frustrating as hell, but in a way that feels rewarding and makes sense. I really think they nailed it with these mechanics.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Tehan posted:

and can make titular kingdoms and empires once they have three duchies or kingdoms, respectively, allowing them to ignore this 'de jure' malarkey.

This much is not true. Provided you meet the requirements (and the titular empire ones are pretty steep if you're in eastern europe without any lower level in-county holdings) anyone can do this.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Tehan posted:

So they can snowball really drat hard behind a successful leader, especially if they're based in rich lands, but the very second said leader dies things dissolve hard.

This is super, super true. Playing as a norse tribal in the earliest start, I managed to shotgun out and grab all of Sweden and Denmark before the 790s. With a spymaster set to steal technology in byzantium I had seafaring within 2 years of starting, and had a shipbuilder a year after that. Raiding England by the 780's is awesome.

Since your tribal vassals go to war for you, after you take one or two surrounding tribes out, you never need to raise your army again, since you can send your vassals with their full forces out. Plus your free event troops from your marshal to roll over people as well. By the time my cheif was 55 he was the king of denmark and sweden, and I was considering going for norway to unite everything under my banner.

Then I had multiple sons, my ruler died in a battle, and it all split between them all and everything fell apart... which seems like something that would happen in reality as well. One strong ruler bringing everything together under one tribe, and then it all explodes and fragments between my 4(!) sons. Luckily my main heir ended up with the Lodbrook trait, so he's a powerhouse in himself.

Honestly tribal is the most fun I've had with the game. With raiding it is a lot easier to upgrade all your holdings to be able to switch to feudal later.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

queeb posted:

Since your tribal vassals go to war for you

Important thing that I missed: tribal vassals don't provide levies, except under high tribal authority. Instead, you call them to war as allies. Which just exacerbates the snowball/meltdown dichotomy, since a successful and beloved leader turns every war into a :bandwagon: of giddy murder, whereas a disliked one can't muster a single man outside of his demesne.

Schlesische posted:

This much is not true. Provided you meet the requirements (and the titular empire ones are pretty steep if you're in eastern europe without any lower level in-county holdings) anyone can do this.

Oh, cool. Haven't played much outside the tribals since the DLC came out.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Automated Posting posted:

I took over half of Russia with the Scandinavian empire with solely event troops. I got them to fire fairly often, and they're pretty big if you grow fast.

Does anyone have any tips for raiding? I barely ever do it because my personal levies cost so much to maintain that if I send them out, I barely make any money overall, and raising my vassals and sending them clear to England is pretty scary because I seem perennially in danger of poo poo popping off at home. Seems the stars rarely align where I think OK, I can go raiding now.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Erik the Heathen start is way easier to get off the ground now. You often start with close to 100% faction strength and if you conquer that Norwegian province, Norway will declare war over it and beat up Sweden for you. I dunno what it is that makes you so much stronger now...maybe all the tribal holdings??

Yes, you get much more troops from tribal holdings, even though they are lovely light infantry. That of course directly translates into higher plot power. Empty holding slots also increase the number of soldiers you get out of a tribal holding, and since northern Sweden was often just a castle this makes Erik the Heathen even stronger.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Does anyone have any tips for raiding? I barely ever do it because my personal levies cost so much to maintain that if I send them out, I barely make any money overall, and raising my vassals and sending them clear to England is pretty scary because I seem perennially in danger of poo poo popping off at home. Seems the stars rarely align where I think OK, I can go raiding now.

As long as you've got enough troops to siege down holdings (about 1000 is enough for most places) you'll be hard-pressed not to make a heavy profit once you start cracking open those sweet, sweet churches and cities, plus there's the prestige income, religious authority, prisoners to random/blot/concubine, and the Viking trait to take into account. And don't be timid about doing it while trouble's brewing - if poo poo kicks off back home you can pile all your dudes back into their boats and come home before the troublemakers have time to take a single province, and you're often better off because you can deliver all your men to anywhere coastal instead of having to gather them all together after calling them up.

If you don't have boats yet (the event for Germanics to get them is in 793, but it can be profitable to build a shipyard early and get a head-start) you probably aren't going to be able to raid, but if you've been making inroads into Finland, Saxony or the Baltic coast, raiding your tribal neighbours can make a profit from prisoners, even though you'll probably lose a ducat or two on troop pay vs the paltry loot of tribal holdings - target regions with churches first if you've got any bordering your lands. Plus it's a great way to soften up someone you're going to declare war on later, or you worry might declare war on you.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
What is this North Korea mode thing everyone keeps talking about?

Also, earlier someone said something about High Crown Authority and Primogeniture. Does that not apply to Duchies or are the rules different for Indians? I started an Old Gods game with the Raja of Tunga, and I instated Primogeniture long before Raja Old Fat Horny Bastard died of old age. Well, he was a Maharaja (Orissa) when he finally died at 78, with 11 kids from 6 different women.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Martello posted:

Controlling everything like a dictator.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Martello posted:

To be specific, NK mode iss where you imprison and banish all vassals. You'll suffer Wrong Holding and oversized demesne penalties and all your courtiers hate you, but past a certain point so much of your income and troops are under your direct control that it doesn't matter.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 21, 2014

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Martello posted:

Also, earlier someone said something about High Crown Authority and Primogeniture. Does that not apply to Duchies or are the rules different for Indians? I started an Old Gods game with the Raja of Tunga, and I instated Primogeniture long before Raja Old Fat Horny Bastard died of old age. Well, he was a Maharaja (Orissa) when he finally died at 78, with 11 kids from 6 different women.

Schlesische posted:

Controlling everything like a dictator.

If you imprison and banish every landholder including barons. The penalties for being over your demesne limit only apply to vassals, so if you have none...

The tradeoff is that each holding suffers from negative modifiers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Martello posted:

North Korea mode is banishing every vassal in your realm and holding all holdings (even the cities/temples) personally.

Since you only have Crown Authority in kingdoms or empires, you can freely chose primogeniture if your are only a duke or count (as long as you are not a pagan or Muslim).

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Torrannor posted:

Since you only have Crown Authority in kingdoms or empires, you can freely chose primogeniture if your are only a duke or count (as long as you are not a pagan or Muslim).

Ah, ok, cool. Something I'll keep in mind for the future. I still think I prefer Feudal Elective, especially because as an Indian ruler it allows me to pick an awesome concubine son or something, but Primo definitely makes everything simpler.

Has anyone else had a weird bug where you give your ruler a haircut, and then when you reload later, he's back to his original stupid hair/beard?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well this is an interesting little bug(?): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=329805470

How it happened: I had the pope vassalized as part of the HRE, a huge independence faction formed, and I capitulated because it was getting kind of boring being huge and unstoppable. The pope was a member of the faction, so when he gained independence it gave me a claim on the Papacy - having a claim on the papacy makes you an antipope without making you into a theocracy (I'm assuming that pressing the claim and winning would probably give me a game over though).

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Martello posted:

Ah, ok, cool. Something I'll keep in mind for the future. I still think I prefer Feudal Elective, especially because as an Indian ruler it allows me to pick an awesome concubine son or something, but Primo definitely makes everything simpler.

Just a warning, this has changed with the newest patch- if they like you they won't necessarily vote for your candidate, they'll vote for just a member of your dynasty.

I don't really like that change, Elective was probably too powerful, but it still had the tradeoff that it could backfire massively if things went to poo poo.

Paxicon
Dec 22, 2007
Sycophant, unless you don't want me to be
Apologies if this has already been asked, but are there any good strategies to managing your regents after the patch? My 100 affection mother took my lands and lowered my crown authority. The latter seems to be a running thing with other games I've done since the patch too, the regent lowering authority no matter their affection for you. Should I just get used to running autonomous vassals from now on?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think it's bugged, quite often I get a message that it's "time to (blank) " and that my Regent is in on it, but my Regent is unlanded (and thus I don't think can be a faction member, can they?) and I have no choice.

Is it also ironic that I think the most powerful succession law now is ultimogeniture? It's easy to get (Low Crown Authority), still functions practically the same as Primogeniture (one child gets everything, one of your family). And for every son you have, you don't need to worry about murdering, just have children until you get one you like then divorce/set aside.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Well this is an interesting little bug(?): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=329805470

How it happened: I had the pope vassalized as part of the HRE, a huge independence faction formed, and I capitulated because it was getting kind of boring being huge and unstoppable. The pope was a member of the faction, so when he gained independence it gave me a claim on the Papacy - having a claim on the papacy makes you an antipope without making you into a theocracy (I'm assuming that pressing the claim and winning would probably give me a game over though).

I had a similar situation happen in an earlier game.

After pushing a claim on the Papacy, the reigning Pope lost a ton of prestige and was exiled to the Templar Order, I gained a ton of gold and prestige, and had my name added to the list of Papal title holders. Almost immediately after unpausing, the title disappeared and the Preferatus was elected in my place. Still cool to see Pope Flain among the list of Popes, but it did not do much other than that.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Sky Shadowing posted:

Just a warning, this has changed with the newest patch- if they like you they won't necessarily vote for your candidate, they'll vote for just a member of your dynasty.

I don't really like that change, Elective was probably too powerful, but it still had the tradeoff that it could backfire massively if things went to poo poo.

Yeah, I've noticed that in my Empire of Sicilia game, but I usually get my chosen successor elected anyway because I give him a lot of land and titles. That seems to get him picked usually. And if someone else has more votes, I plot to murder him.

Speaking of which, should I be keeping all three of my kingships (Sicily, Italy, Africa) as lesser titles for my Emperor, or should I make my favorite relatives vassal kings and let them worry about all that little stuff?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

So is CM fixed yet as far as bugginess? I know they rolled out a beta patch - how is it? Any idea when it'll go live? I'm considering picking up either CM or Sons of Abraham.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yeah, there's a tension here that makes storytelling sense, but doesn't really work as well for gameplay purposes. "We don't just want the boss to appoint the next heir, but we do support the $FAMILYNAME house itself, so we'll vote for another member of it" sounds pretty plausible in historical terms and stuff. It just sucks when you want to actually get your heir into place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah, there's a tension here that makes storytelling sense, but doesn't really work as well for gameplay purposes. "We don't just want the boss to appoint the next heir, but we do support the $FAMILYNAME house itself, so we'll vote for another member of it" sounds pretty plausible in historical terms and stuff. It just sucks when you want to actually get your heir into place.

What the game needs is some kind of political favour system, kind of like how you can trade for votes in the UN in Civ 5 - stuff like "If you vote for my chosen heir I'll give your son a county" or something is pretty historically fitting and would make for interesting gameplay, especially if there was a wide range of different favours available.

It would also be a nice middle ground to elective being "basically just pick the heir you want" like it was before and "I don't know WTF" like it is now - people who like you still wouldn't necessary vote for your preferred heir on their own, but they might be willing to accept smaller deals in exchange for political favours.

• Locked thread