Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I really want to build a 38(t) armored company now. Who does that in FoW? Hungarians?

Maybe Early War germans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I believe there's a Czech list in the new Barbarossa book that should get lots of them mid-war. Hungarians, Romanians, and Germans all had some IIRC.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Ensign Expendable posted:

Spielberger owns and the Pz38(t) owns, you made a good life choice. Free up some shelf space, you can't ever buy just one!

Haha, I have purchased a ton of Osprey books this last year, but not a ton of the super in depth grog ones for WW2. Most of my ACW books are groggy though.

I bought a book on Slovakias participation in WW2 so I could see myself doing Slovak eastern front and National Uprising forces for BA. The national uprising was pretty sad I guess, so mostly partisans and inexperienced army dudes

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The R-2 is the best 35(t) variant.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

drat right.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

moths posted:

I believe there's a Czech list in the new Barbarossa book that should get lots of them mid-war. Hungarians, Romanians, and Germans all had some IIRC.
It looks like Barbarossa is early war still, but the Czech Panzerkompanie seems to not need any Panzer II platoons so that's nice.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone know of a place to get minis in Canada? Wherever I look it always seems to be 'doesn't ship to Canada' or the shipping is bloody insane.

Like I could go buy another two or three boxes of ammo for real guns for what I'd be paying in shipping.

Edit: specifically looking for 15mm WW2 stuff. Canadians/brits in particular

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

muggins posted:

Haha, I have purchased a ton of Osprey books this last year, but not a ton of the super in depth grog ones for WW2. Most of my ACW books are groggy though.

I bought a book on Slovakias participation in WW2 so I could see myself doing Slovak eastern front and National Uprising forces for BA. The national uprising was pretty sad I guess, so mostly partisans and inexperienced army dudes

That's how it starts. First it's a few Osprey books and some plastic tanks. The next thing you know, you have more maps and operational reports than Stavka and sigh whenever your opponents use period incorrect tow cable mounts.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MohawkSatan posted:

Does anyone know of a place to get minis in Canada? Wherever I look it always seems to be 'doesn't ship to Canada' or the shipping is bloody insane.

Like I could go buy another two or three boxes of ammo for real guns for what I'd be paying in shipping.

Edit: specifically looking for 15mm WW2 stuff. Canadians/brits in particular

http://www.meeplemart.com/store/pg/23-Navigation-Grid-Miniatures.aspx

They have Flames of War (Battlefront), Plastic Soldier Company, Zvezda and Forged in Battle

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 20, 2014

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm considering picking up some of the Perry Miniatures Sudanese to act as allies for my Orc army in Kings of War, but browsing through their ranges had led me to look at the War of the Roses and Napoleonic series too; and I'm still undecided about which I'd prefer. However, the pressing question is: are the game systems tied into WoR-era or Darkest Africa/colonialism popular enough for me to consider? Or like KoW is it a case that I should expect to buy both sides of a conflict?

Thanks!

EDIT: Further question slightly related, I assume SAGA will have the same issues (buy both sides) - do Crescent & Cross and the expanded armies add much more than the default? Ideally I'd prefer to go core rulebook for frugality but not at the expense of fun :)

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 20, 2014

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Crescent and the Cross is a totally stand alone system for a later period ( I think you can play it with standard Saga but its not really designed for that). The Saga expansions themselves just add new armies in and as long as you are happy with the army choices in the core rulebook, you dont need any other book. The new armies just have new battleboards but the core rules are unchanged.

EDIT

Played a game of Black Powder at the club last night after my game was cancelled. Massive 1/72 armies of plastics, that looked really good- about 30 units a side, looked amazing.

Crappy photo that I managed to miss off the entire of the right flank I was in control of!

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 20, 2014

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Beardless posted:

Maybe Early War germans?

You can run 35t and 38t tank companies in FoW, there are German lists for them in early and mid war books. The Hungarians can use them in Mid-war and presumably early war but no lists exist for that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'll use them when I get to to Germans, but need to work on my British force first!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
There are Romanian MW and LW 35(t) formations(the Romanians called them R-2s, the tank destroyer is called the TACAM R-2)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I heard you like army men and tanks.

Apparently Tamiya thinks all Americans look the same and are grim as gently caress 100% of the time.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Ensign Expendable posted:

I heard you like army men and tanks.

Apparently Tamiya thinks all Americans look the same and are grim as gently caress 100% of the time.

As I see it, the only solution is to paint some of them with clown face makeup, or pink uniform jackets.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Paint a goatee on one, put a bible in the hands of another.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you're looking into SAGA C&C remember that Fireforge has a great range of plastics for pretty cheap. I just got some of their Mongolians and they are good kits. They seem like they would make decent Orc allies.

As far as normal SAGA I'd say that the other books aren't required but they do add a lot to the game. Especially since one of the big historical match ups people think about is Vikings vs. Anglo-Saxons and the Anglo-Saxons aren't in the basic book. The Jomsviking are also one of the most popular armies and they aren't in the base book either.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ Thanks, I'm still debating a system and scale, but do want to try other things.

I'm going through this thread back from page 30 or so and working my way forward. After looking through the Saga rulebook though, it seems weighted towards the battleboard and that was something that my friend and I didn't like about Malifaux (oh look! I have THIS ability! and THIS ability! surprise!). With that in mind and the early pages of this thread being heavily into 15mm, DBA, FoG, and so on I'm also checking that out.

From what I can see however, DBA seems very dry. We get a decent fix out of strategic playing with Kings of War (i.e. positioning being more powerful than individuals, and so on) - it would be nice to have some asymmetric, heroic-type game. I guess Historicals may not fit the bill, but I'm still very interested in the low cost of entry for both the 6-15mm army games and 28mm skirmish games. Is there something that fits the bill in either stead?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Legends of the Old West and Legends of the High Seas are pretty fun games. Large ranges in 1/72, 15mm and 28mm as well. You could put together lots of forces for either game for not a lot of money, especially in 15mm.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Southern Heel posted:

^ Thanks, I'm still debating a system and scale, but do want to try other things.

I'm going through this thread back from page 30 or so and working my way forward. After looking through the Saga rulebook though, it seems weighted towards the battleboard and that was something that my friend and I didn't like about Malifaux (oh look! I have THIS ability! and THIS ability! surprise!). With that in mind and the early pages of this thread being heavily into 15mm, DBA, FoG, and so on I'm also checking that out.

From what I can see however, DBA seems very dry. We get a decent fix out of strategic playing with Kings of War (i.e. positioning being more powerful than individuals, and so on) - it would be nice to have some asymmetric, heroic-type game. I guess Historicals may not fit the bill, but I'm still very interested in the low cost of entry for both the 6-15mm army games and 28mm skirmish games. Is there something that fits the bill in either stead?

DBA's primary advantage is that games can easily get done in 30 minutes. It is a fairly dry game, and random to boot but it plays a lot quicker than anything else.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Panzeh posted:

DBA's primary advantage is that games can easily get done in 30 minutes. It is a fairly dry game, and random to boot but it plays a lot quicker than anything else.

Being quick does not sound like a good selling point. Isn't DBA the one that has very similar unit types as well?

"Well, its dry, all the units seem the same and its a bit swingy, but at least you won't be playing it for long."

I know 6 hour battles are not great either, but half a hour doesn't even seem like worth breaking out the terrain.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

That seems to be more or less what I'm seeing: scissors, papers, rock with many rules that seem to be more competitive than narrative (i.e. terrain must be X big, this army must ally/fight against this army) - I'm all for optional extras and historical accuracy, but I'm fairly certain this is not the kind of game I'm up for - what a shame!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Grey Hunter posted:

Being quick does not sound like a good selling point. Isn't DBA the one that has very similar unit types as well?

"Well, its dry, all the units seem the same and its a bit swingy, but at least you won't be playing it for long."

I know 6 hour battles are not great either, but half a hour doesn't even seem like worth breaking out the terrain.

Most miniatures games rules don't bring a whole lot more depth but take about ten times as long to play out.

I mean, yeah, it's not that deep, though there's a little intricacy.

BTW, any DBA army can play against each other, the defensiveness determines who gets to set up terrain. Being more defensive is just part of some of the armies, which is why terrain has specific templates for setup.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Grey Hunter posted:

DBA is "dry" in the same way that chess is "dry". It has other merits than being short, but it is not everyone's cup of tea.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

lilljonas posted:

DBA is "dry" in the same way that chess is "dry". It has other merits than being short, but it is not everyone's cup of tea.

Yeah, it's a game system that will let you play Hussites against Roman legions if you want to, but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Southern Heel posted:

That seems to be more or less what I'm seeing: scissors, papers, rock with many rules that seem to be more competitive than narrative (i.e. terrain must be X big, this army must ally/fight against this army) - I'm all for optional extras and historical accuracy, but I'm fairly certain this is not the kind of game I'm up for - what a shame!

Have you looked at Infinity? It's an exceptional skirmish level game and if you don't like the fluff or minis, you can just proxy with whatever you have if it is just played by you and your friends. It does require a fair bit of terrain though.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Assymetric heroic-type games... any period that you fancy more than others? I'm thinking that there are plenty of WW1 and WW2 rulesets that could fit the bill, we're playing Chain of Command currently and I think it suits your criterias more or less. Doing CoC in 6mm might be a little fiddly, but in 15mm or 20mm it should work and be extremely affordable. Ronin would fit the bill if you like samurai stuff. Legends of the Old West has been mentioned.

For 6mm you should not overlook trying something Napoleonic, it is a time period that suits large uniform (easy to paint!) armies very well, and it's cheap to collect. There are hundreds of rulesets available, and at least a dozen of them are probably even decent.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Colonial Air Force posted:

Paint a goatee on one, put a bible in the hands of another.

Don't forget wraparound sunglasses.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Sorry, I don't mean to lambast anyone's baby - what I mean is that Kings of War for me fulfills the role of a balanced, tactical, manouvre-based game with relatively little excitement/surprise, and so that is not a hole I need plugged.

After collecting my thoughts and for some consideration I think I can narrow down my choices, depending on my friend's choice of era. I reckon the game needs to be Skirmish based (i.e. fortune swings/ease/unpredictability) and Cheap/Easy to Paint (i.e. 15mm/bulk plastic), which rules out pre-dark age and medieval thru mechanisation.

If I want dark-ages, it seems that SAGA is my best bet using GrippingBeast plastics to put together Saxon/Scot warbands: 40ish 28mm models, 40gbp + rulebook/dice/etc. Are Pendraken appropriate? i.e. http://www.pendraken.co.uk/Dark-Ages-c10/ANGLO-SAXON-sc32/ too?

If I want to go WW2 then Bolt Action using WGF/Plastic Soldier Company models in 28mm or 15mm seem equally doable (http://theplasticsoldiercompany.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_22_24_49&products_id=135) or even piggy-backing the Flames of War starter set into BA basing and have a two-for-one. Again, are Pendraken appropriate for BA rules/army layouts?

quote:

For 6mm you should not overlook trying something Napoleonic,
I really don't think Napoleonic will inspire my buddy, while I'm a fan of the era in general - do you have any particular rulesets/ranges I can check to be on the safe side?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 21, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Southern Heel posted:

After collecting my thoughts and for some consideration I think I can narrow down my choices, depending on my friend's choice of era. I reckon the game needs to be Skirmish based (i.e. fortune swings/ease/unpredictability) and Cheap/Easy to Paint (i.e. 15mm/bulk plastic), which rules out pre-dark age and medieval thru mechanisation.

Forged in Battle kickstarted a metal 15mm ancients game called War & Empire earlier this year which just hit the backer fulfillment stage, and should be in retail before Xmas if that idea interests you. I have the most recent beta of the rules I can share, but I'm not so hot at figuring out what's good and what isn't, though this iteration seemed to provoke a lot of debate. I can say that the cavalry rank up like cavalry does in Kings of War, but infantry are multibased the same way as they are in Flames of War, and the bases can be organised into or broken out of any rectangular formation you want in any given turn.

The minis are as you'd expect, Aleander, Early Greece, Punic Wars, and Rome and her middle and later adversaries, but there's also a classical Indian army which is probably going to be the starter I get with my pledge.

Also they made some Roman, Greek and Eastern cast buildings in 15mm scale that would work perfectly as North African, Greek and Italian terrain objects in Flames of War!

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 21, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

If I want dark-ages, it seems that SAGA is my best bet using GrippingBeast plastics to put together Saxon/Scot warbands: 40ish 28mm models, 40gbp + rulebook/dice/etc. Are Pendraken appropriate? i.e. http://www.pendraken.co.uk/Dark-Ages-c10/ANGLO-SAXON-sc32/ too?
I'm not sure why you're linking Pandraken 10mms in the context of 28mm minis?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Just because I could go with this one as plastic 28mm: https://www.grippingbeast.com/product.php?ItemID=2727 but that 15mm seems much easier to paint, and if those are in the quantities I think (i.e. 10 minitures for 3 quid) then may be pretty affordable too.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Just because I could go with this one as plastic 28mm: https://www.grippingbeast.com/product.php?ItemID=2727 but that 15mm seems much easier to paint, and if those are in the quantities I think (i.e. 10 minitures for 3 quid) then may be pretty affordable too.

6mm Saga is even cheaper

But my group may be the only ones doing it at that scale.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

You're also insane for painting all those tiny, tiny mans with as good or better detail than my 28mm mans

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

You're also insane for painting all those tiny, tiny mans with as good or better detail than my 28mm mans

6mm. God's own scale.

:black101:

As for rules for Napoleonics, I like Lasalle. I have heard good things about Black Powder as well, but haven't tried it. Once the club gets satisfied with Barbarossa games (if they'll ever!), I will try to introduce a bit of 19th century grand strategy.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 21, 2014

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

6mm Saga is even cheaper

But my group may be the only ones doing it at that scale.

do you have anything with a dice or a finger in-frame so I can see the insanity?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

do you have anything with a dice or a finger in-frame so I can see the insanity?

No finger, just a ruler and some 40K minis.

EDIT:
I know if you order over $75 worth of stuff Warlord Games ships to North America at no extra cost, but for the remainder of October you get free shipping on all orders regardless of size.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 21, 2014

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

That is insanity. The whole board must be no more than 30cm a side!

I was looking at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph8vDlWZa24 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk8vSLPLR4s I'm taking back the idea that DBA/Impetvs is written off, not for my usual buddy, but my chess-loving colleague. I'm still trying to find a way to appeal to his historical/tactical side and play down the neckbeard aspect, we'll see how that pans out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Also if you want to do really small scale Legends of the Old West and High Seas, Blue Moon (an Old Glory imprint) make some loving beautiful Pirates and Cowboys in HO scale. I've been seriously considering building a HO scale board for both of them because it would be really small and look awesome. They're a little big to mix with most companies 15mm (HO is like ~18mm) but I've seen people do it with some success. Plus for westerns HO scale terrain is super duper cheap if premade is your thing (Alpine makes some good bundles). I already play Legends of the Old West in 1/72, but we've been seriously considering changing scale just because the variety of good cowboys in that scale is pretty lackluster.