Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Kaubocks posted:

Sonic Adventure is one of those games like True Crime: Streets of LA where it just tried so hard to do so many different things and as a result it's not good at any of them-- but goddamn it's so cute for trying. I can't help but enjoy it for that. Adventure 2 is good because of City Escape and the Biolizard fight theme.

But, it should be stressed, not the actual Biolizard FIGHT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
The words "game mode" appear verbatim in the post, great suggestions people.

The game pad has one frame of lag. It sounds like your tv is kinda lovely. There probably isn't much you can do about it that you haven't already tried. Maybe your tv has a firmware update (is that even a thing)?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Sonic Adventure 2 is the best 3D platformer ever made. Or, at least, the best 3d platformer soundtrack ever made.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I don't think Sonic game soundtracks have yet managed to match the majesty of Live & Learn.

Except maybe when Crush 40 did a remix of Sonic Boom for the Sonic CD soundtrack release. I think that's my number 1 favorite Sonic song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCJz33hKDR0

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Modern Sonic games are #1 when it comes to butt rock

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch
Thanks for the suggestions, people! :)

I'll futz around with the TV display options again, check to see if there's an update for it, all that neat stuff.

I certainly hope my lag issues aren't due to my TV being a piece of crap. It's barely a year and a half old! It would be just like me to spend money on a brand new piece of crap. :shepspends:

Thanks for keeping it real, pokeyman. Sometimes a guy just needs to hear it how it is.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

If your TV is that new then you will probably be able to fix this through the settings. If you cannot figure that out then do some Google searches that are specific to your TV model and game lag.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Sonic Adventure 2 is the best 3D platformer ever made. Or, at least, the best 3d platformer soundtrack ever made.

you had it right the first time, but the second part is true as well

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

HJE-Cobra posted:

I don't think Sonic game soundtracks have yet managed to match the majesty of Live & Learn.

Except maybe when Crush 40 did a remix of Sonic Boom for the Sonic CD soundtrack release. I think that's my number 1 favorite Sonic song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCJz33hKDR0

aaaaaahahaha this is terrrrrrrrrrrrrrible.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Console Role Player posted:

I'll futz around with the TV display options again, check to see if there's an update for it, all that neat stuff.

I certainly hope my lag issues aren't due to my TV being a piece of crap. It's barely a year and a half old! It would be just like me to spend money on a brand new piece of crap. :shepspends:

Thanks for keeping it real, pokeyman. Sometimes a guy just needs to hear it how it is.

What TV are you using? My Panasonic plasma from 2011 doesn't have any issues. Since the Gamepad is working fine, it has to be the TV, but using game mode should fix that. Very odd situation. Is it just VC games or all games?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
For my money the most worthless Sonic game is Sonic 4 because it's literally the only Sonic game that has a lovely soundtrack. Sure 06 might be a much worse fame but 4 was still pretty bad and 06 at least had a good soundtrack.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Console Role Player posted:

Even though you're on game mode, there could still be settings to adjust for that preset. Look for any sort of smoothing or motion enhancement options and turn those off. There may also be specific audio settings that could be slowing down your TV, so give that menu a glance.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

For my money the most worthless Sonic game is Sonic 4 because it's literally the only Sonic game that has a lovely soundtrack. Sure 06 might be a much worse fame but 4 was still pretty bad and 06 at least had a good soundtrack.

4 is just dreadfully boring, my god. Like it's not bad per se, but why would you play it.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Me and my girlfriend bought a wii U to play mario kart and have an outlet to verbally abuse each other, nintendo, our dog or anything we percieve to be 'making us lose' and its been GREAT. However, what I've wanted to do since I had my nintendo 64 back in....99 or so is play Ocarina of Time again. Is there a way to do so on the U?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Nuclear War posted:

Me and my girlfriend bought a wii U to play mario kart and have an outlet to verbally abuse each other, nintendo, our dog or anything we percieve to be 'making us lose' and its been GREAT. However, what I've wanted to do since I had my nintendo 64 back in....99 or so is play Ocarina of Time again. Is there a way to do so on the U?

Yes

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/RH5HVVtVsUXAzfuh99QbFMlHUGPhREkS

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Nuclear War posted:

You can buy the game in Wii Mode via the Wii Shop Channel. But to play it you'll need a Wii Remote and a Classic Controller (the one that plugs into the Wii Remote, not the Wii U Pro Controller or whatever). I was lucky and found a black Classic Controller Pro at a pawn shop for like $4, Your Results May Vary.

Also, the Wii VC selection is much larger than the Wii U VC selection, and with the speed at which Wii U VC games are being released, it's not a bad idea to invest in the Wii's library if you wanna also play like Super Mario RPG or Castlevania: Rondo of Blood or something.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

axleblaze posted:

Sonic Chronicles? Way worse than 4 imo

Console Role Player
Sep 15, 2007

Snooch to the Gooch

Fremry posted:

What TV are you using? My Panasonic plasma from 2011 doesn't have any issues. Since the Gamepad is working fine, it has to be the TV, but using game mode should fix that. Very odd situation. Is it just VC games or all games?

I have a LCD Vizio, which are famous for being cheap and well... "good quality for the price you're paying" is how they'd put it.

I'd say the lag is more noticeable on VC games, but I've long suspected I've had lag issues on my other game consoles as well.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ventana posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one, but I also didn't play it all that much,

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Ventana posted:

This is a little unfair though, they literally lost the music tracks and had to replace them with lovely MIDI because they were just a couple weeks off release

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Not a Children posted:

This is a little unfair though, they literally lost the music tracks and had to replace them with lovely MIDI because they were just a couple weeks off release

i still don't understand how that could happen

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

This should come with a VERY VERY big disclaimer. To play this, you have to have a Wii remote and Classic Controller. They do not make the classic controller anymore, so you need to buy it used and it will be quite expensive.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

sharrrk posted:

i still don't understand how that could happen

Permanent data loss has happened in every company that I have ever worked for to some degree. Including those with good backup solutions and source control. Granted, those that had good solutions experienced these sort of problems far less often and the impact was less severe but they still happened on rare occasion. All it takes is one dumb employee or new hire that does not know what they are doing to mess up by not following policy and then all of the sudden things get lost on accident.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Is Sonic Colors any good? I opened up my old games cabinet at my parent's place two weeks ago and was shocked to discover that I somehow own it. I quite liked Sonic Generations, for what its worth.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Narcissus1916 posted:

Is Sonic Colors any good? I opened up my old games cabinet at my parent's place two weeks ago and was shocked to discover that I somehow own it. I quite liked Sonic Generations, for what its worth.

It's amazing/

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Narcissus1916 posted:

It is actually very good, maybe a notch or two below Generations.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Generations is really good and All-Star Racing easily rivals Mario Kart 8 as best kart racer to date.

Sonic games can be good when they really want to but apparently they just don't want to. I think they're just too lazy to apply themselves.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Mercury Crusader posted:

You can buy the game in Wii Mode via the Wii Shop Channel. But to play it you'll need a Wii Remote and a Classic Controller (the one that plugs into the Wii Remote, not the Wii U Pro Controller or whatever). I was lucky and found a black Classic Controller Pro at a pawn shop for like $4, Your Results May Vary.

Also, the Wii VC selection is much larger than the Wii U VC selection, and with the speed at which Wii U VC games are being released, it's not a bad idea to invest in the Wii's library if you wanna also play like Super Mario RPG or Castlevania: Rondo of Blood or something.

Yeah that might not be too easy, still I'll give it a look. Thanks!
Is there any word on whether stuff like this will be released compatible with the U? You'd think there would be a market

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916 posted:

It's really great. It might be my favorite Sonic game.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Generations is really good and All-Star Racing easily rivals Mario Kart 8 as best kart racer to date.

Sonic games can be good when they really want to but apparently they just don't want to. I think they're just too lazy to apply themselves.

Eh, that's not really fair. Most Sonic games try really hard but often they either can't pull of their ideas or have ideas that are terrible in the first place. 06 for example was just loaded with content. It really just had too much in it for any team to sanely handle and pull off. I mean the game had three main characters with their own storylines. Each of those characters controlled differently and had their own mechanics. In addition to those characters, pretty much every other character from the series appeared in some form or another as playable and all of them also played differently and had their own mechanics. They also had multiple huge hub worlds, like over a hundred optional side quests, a multiplayer mode and so on and so on and so on. The problem is, of course, they literally failed to pull off every single one of these things. It was a terrible game but I don't think they didn't try, they just didn't know what the gently caress they were doing.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Nuclear War posted:

Yeah that might not be too easy, still I'll give it a look. Thanks!
Is there any word on whether stuff like this will be released compatible with the U? You'd think there would be a market

Some of the games have been. None of the 20-ish N64 games have been for whatever reason, possibly the same reason that only 20 of them made it to the Wii VC in the first place. IIRC Nintendo Software Technologies (basically NOA's own in-house studio) were charged with getting the N64 games running and it involved a bit more work than straight emulation. Basically N64 emulation is very hard if you want a high level of fidelity.

Even Genesis games haven't made it over, although PC Engine games are on the way for the Wii U VC in Japan at least.

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 21, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Discount Viscount posted:

Some of the games have been. None of the 20-ish N64 games have been for whatever reason, possibly the same reason that only 20 of them made it to the Wii VC in the first place. IIRC Nintendo Software Technologies (basically NOA's own in-house studio) were charged with getting the N64 games running and it involved a bit more work than straight emulation. Basically N64 emulation is very hard if you want a high level of fidelity.

To continue this point, Nintendo 64 games were coded with magic and wishes. Unfortunately, each Nintendo 64 contained a Monkey's Paw to drive those wishes and the magic used involved invoking dark beings from non-Euclidean realms (little known fact: this is why texture warping occurs in PS1 games). Everything was hacked together, barely functional, and trying to pick it apart could drive you mad. Nintendo 64 emulators are essentially a pile of special exceptions for what to do with each game.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

So Nintendo posted a job opening for a lead graphics engineer for their next console.

https://nintendo.taleo.net/careersection/10000/jobdetail.ftl?job=140000005E&src=SNS-10380

Most likely this is something we won't be seeing for at least 5 years, so it hardly spells doom for the Wii U's lifespan. That said, I am happy to know that Nintendo still intends to release more consoles after the Wii U. :)

Unless this is related to a 3DS successor, of course.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I found Generations to be really boring, but All-Star Racing Transformed is exceptional. I honestly think the best Sonic game in years is that endless runner for iPads, it's a lot of fun and I would genuinely buy a non-f2p version on a console, especially the WiiU

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Narcissus1916 posted:

Colors is great. I would definitely recommend that one.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

JordanKai posted:

So Nintendo posted a job opening for a lead graphics engineer for their next console.

https://nintendo.taleo.net/careersection/10000/jobdetail.ftl?job=140000005E&src=SNS-10380

Most likely this is something we won't be seeing for at least 5 years, so it hardly spells doom for the Wii U's lifespan. That said, I am happy to know that Nintendo still intends to release more consoles after the Wii U. :)

Unless this is related to a 3DS successor, of course.

Curious. What in that description suggests that the position is intended for a new console as opposed to filling a position for one of their current consoles?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Maybe the reason they don't port N64 games to the VC is so that they can remake them for the 3DS. How else do you explain Ocarina of Time 3DS and Starfox 64 3DS?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Xavier434 posted:

Curious. What in that description suggests that the position is intended for a new console as opposed to filling a position for one of their current consoles?

These two lines in particular:

quote:

Should be prepared to work through architecture, design, validation, and bring-up stages of SoC design in cooperation with internal and external teams.

quote:

The graphics architect plays a key role in determining the SoC architecture.

Although admittedly I'm not a tech person so maybe I read into this completely wrong. v:shobon:v

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Honestly, that doesn't say much. Any job description for a position like that will contain that sort of language. They always word it to cover both existing and future projects.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Starhawk64 posted:

Maybe the reason they don't port N64 games to the VC is so that they can remake them for the 3DS. How else do you explain Ocarina of Time 3DS and Starfox 64 3DS?

Both of those are still available on the Wii VC, though. How do you explain the lack of N64 3DS ports since?

This is the same company that re-released Metroid and the NES version of Pac-Man for the GBA when both games were available included with other games at the same price or cheaper, and in Pac-Man's a case more accurate to the arcade version.

:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

I was about to say, how is it it works there? Anyway, my SO has one of the large 3ds handhelds, would Ocarina of Time and the older Pokemon games I see are available for that be any good, or are they the same mess of barely held together emulated games?

• Locked thread