Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I think the gameplay in Demon's is easier overall but there are a lot of mechanics that are either hidden or obfuscated like world/character tendency, the weapon leveling, etc. DS1 made a lot of that more streamlined, although much of the game and it's mechanics are still obtuse, but I think overall it was harder gameplay wise. DS2 streamlines the mechanics even more (with the exception maybe of adaptability and rolling) so that you figure out how stuff works pretty quickly. The gameplay in 2 is hard to pin down for me because I feel like the levels and enemies are generally easier but mistakes are punished more heavily in combat. Overall I like DS1 the best followed by Demon's and then DS2. DS2 for me was definitely the weakest of the 3 but it's still a good game overall.

In any case, DS1 is not what I would call "more casual" than Demon's and even though I don't care for DS2 as much, the reasons aren't because it's too easy or casual or something. I'm really glad DS2 was as popular as it was because it means more games in the future. Even though there was a lot I didn't like about 2 it was still enjoyable and I love the series overall and want to see it continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'd say Demon's is overall the hardest due to level designs and general nastiness of the enemies but that it is reduced by there being so many things that are straight up OP (magic, HP regen, the grasses, certain weapon classes like polearms, among others) that you're bound to figure out one just by chance. It's probably the hardest to start tho.

I also wouldn't call it the most obtuse. It has obtuse things but they don't matter for your progression. The upgrade system is confusing, but due to the way the game is balanced you don't even need a fully upgraded weapon to have good damage output.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I'd say Demon's is overall the hardest due to level designs and general nastiness of the enemies but that it is reduced by there being so many things that are straight up OP (magic, HP regen, the grasses, certain weapon classes like polearms, among others) that you're bound to figure out one just by chance. It's probably the hardest to start tho.

Also the Lava Bow. Holy poo poo the Lava Bow rules. The entirety of World 5 just melts before you if you have that thing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Harrow posted:

Having played Demon's Souls after Dark Souls, I don't get how anyone could say Demon's Souls was "less casual" than Dark Souls. Neither is the more "casual" of the two--they're just different. But overall I have an easier time playing Demon's Souls to this day than I do Dark Souls 1 and 2. It feels comfortable to me in a way neither of its successors do, which is odd (but not unpleasant), given what kind of game it is.

I really do think whichever one a given person played first is going to seem like the harder one.

Your first game in the series is always the hardest, though it doesn't hurt that Demon's Souls is by far the easiest to cheese of the three.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I still find Dark Souls considerably harder than Dark Souls 2, even though DS2 was my first experience with the game.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector_666 posted:

I still find Dark Souls considerably harder than Dark Souls 2, even though DS2 was my first experience with the game.

I found that playing Dark Souls 2 made the other games easier as I'd tried both before but gave up and now I've been playing through Dark Souls and Demons Souls.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Deomon's Souls is hard at first because you're not used to this and you get caught up in levels and every time you hit a wall you decide to grind Boletaria for levels and that doesn't work so you shelve the game for years with only two bosses dead until you find something called the Let's Play Archive and find a LP by some guy called Smite and watch him pick through levels for poo poo and suddenly have the epiphany that this is an equipment based game instead of a level based one and then you buzzsaw the rest of the game on a lazy afternoon and then replay it a million times.

Probably the single longest run0on sentence I've ever written.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Reason posted:

I found that playing Dark Souls 2 made the other games easier as I'd tried both before but gave up and now I've been playing through Dark Souls and Demons Souls.

Oh, I find Dark Souls exponentially easier now than when I first played it, but everything feels much clunkier and gently caress how getting Cursed works in that loving game. They might as well just delete your loving character if you get hit with it early.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh, I find Dark Souls exponentially easier now than when I first played it, but everything feels much clunkier and gently caress how getting Cursed works in that loving game. They might as well just delete your loving character if you get hit with it early.

Or decide to go down to Now Londo again after the tragic first time and piece together that the curse on those hands you found in the jar and the curse you have now might be connected.

Felt like the smartest motherfucker ever that day.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Thanks!

And yeah it's tough to compare DS1 and DS2 on pc when DS1 was such an amazingly horrible port and came out so late.

e: It doesn't look like the DLCs sold that well on pc. It's like anyone who was still playing the game at the start of June bought them but not the same # of people who bought the original - which is understandable for a few potential reasons.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 21, 2014

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Inspector_666 posted:

Did you by chance play before they nerfed curse to something actually managable? Because at launch I believe it could stack high enough to nerf your max HP down to 1/8th.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tracula posted:

Did you by chance play before they nerfed curse to something actually managable? Because at launch I believe it could stack high enough to nerf your max HP down to 1/8th.

I fell down a hole, got breathed on as I was recovering and now have 50% health, which means most things can 1-2 shot me and I somehow need to save up like 8000 souls to cure it.

I was having fun up until that point, too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Inspector_666 posted:

They patched it so curse doesn't stack anymore, so its not half as bad as it used to be.

Dark souls 1 is definitely harder than Dark Souls 2 still though, IMO.

And personally I think Demon's is the hardest of the three, but I've played a lot more of Dark 1&2 because I don't console often. :shrug:

Tracula posted:

Yeah one of my characters got stuck back then with 1/8th health and it was practically just delete and start over.
I actually dug myself out of the hole, but it wasn't super fun.

Its better now though, yeah.

Inspector_666 posted:

I fell down a hole, got breathed on as I was recovering and now have 50% health, which means most things can 1-2 shot me and I somehow need to save up like 8000 souls to cure it.

I was having fun up until that point, too.

That happens every time you die in Demon's and Dark 2, though. (though you can get cling ring or whatever) If anything Dark 1 is easier because only a few things curse you, and normal death doesn't.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 21, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It depends, because Dark Souls 2 is still getting patched while we're comparing it to DS1's final form. It'd be more accurate to compare version 1.0 of both games, though gently caress the stories I've read about Amana and Dragon Shrine.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Zaphod42 posted:

That happens every time you die in Demon's and Dark 2, though. (though you can get cling ring or whatever) If anything Dark 1 is easier because only a few things curse you, and normal death doesn't.

I have to die like, 8 times in a row to get to 50% health, and even then I can just soapstone my way back to humanity. To clear the curse I have to buy a specific item, and I'm nowhere near good enough to farm that many souls with the HP I have post-cursing.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

I have to die like, 8 times in a row to get to 50% health, and even then I can just soapstone my way back to humanity. To clear the curse I have to buy a specific item, and I'm nowhere near good enough to farm that many souls with the HP I have post-cursing.

Trade a Cracked Red Eye Orb to Snuggly for 2 free Purging Stones, or trade a Humanity to Ingward :v:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

This is why curse was much better in Dark Souls than petrify is in Dark 2.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think the way Curse worked in DS1 is objectively unfun but that's just me.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dark souls 1 is much easier for me. I can afford recklessness because dying has little consequence if I can get back to my bloodstain.

And swing recovery tine is just so fast a whiffed hit doesnt matter as much as it would in 2.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Dark souls 1 is much easier for me. I can afford recklessness because dying has little consequence if I can get back to my bloodstain.

And swing recovery tine is just so fast a whiffed hit doesnt matter as much as it would in 2.

Yeah but Dark Souls 2 dying has literally no consequence as long as you just put on a ring.

DS2 is probably the most forgiving of the three, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Its still pretty challenging and super fun.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
What is the Ring of Sacrifice, Zaphod?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That is not the same, as the Ring of Sacrifice cannot be repaired.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Yeah, but you get ten of them. If you die more than ten times in Dark Souls 1 you're a scrub and don't deserve to play the game.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Please tell me you're kidding, I can't tell anymore.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gologle posted:

Yeah, but you get ten of them. If you die more than ten times in Dark Souls 1 you're a scrub and don't deserve to play the game.

This but unironically.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I suppose I should have added "as a caster" to that sentence. I don't understand how people complain about hexes and magic in general in DS2 but Dark Souls is absolutely broken when it comes to magic. It can't even be a PvP thing, because in both games magic is rather useless in PvP. The person who can't dodge a spell in either game shouldn't be PvPing.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Gologle posted:

:lol:

Gologle posted:

I suppose I should have added "as a caster" to that sentence. I don't understand how people complain about hexes and magic in general in DS2 but Dark Souls is absolutely broken when it comes to magic. It can't even be a PvP thing, because in both games magic is rather useless in PvP. The person who can't dodge a spell in either game shouldn't be PvPing.

Oh so you are being serious. Allow me to laugh even harder.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gologle posted:

Magic is actually very good in PVP, in Dark Souls 2 (And somewhat so in Dark Souls, mostly just for pyro tho), if you use it properly.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Da2 is the easiest because there are bonfires every ten feet. Da1 after that. Demons is hardest unless you cheese it, which many players ended up doing almost on accident -- even then I think most people had as much trouble with Tower Knight (until they figure out the gimic), Flamelurker and Maneater as they do with Fume. Plus if nobody warns you you can end up losing all of your NPCs in the Nexus, getting equipment broken cost a fortune to repair, and if you gently caress uo with world tendency badly enough without knowing how to fix it you now have red phantoms in a world you already couldn't handle (polar opposite of how multiple failed attempts are handled in Da2). Oh and in the early game keeping yourself in grass was a struggle (until you figured out how to farm skeletons).

raton fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 21, 2014

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Stokes fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 21, 2014

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Can one expect to get much action with the Rat covenant these days? I figured it'd be fun so I picked it up, but I'll probably switch back to Heirs of the Sun if there's not much chance I'll get to play with traps.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Harrow posted:

Can one expect to get much action with the Rat covenant these days? I figured it'd be fun so I picked it up, but I'll probably switch back to Heirs of the Sun if there's not much chance I'll get to play with traps.

It's the covenant you use if you have a couple bonfire ascetics and some time to just idle.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

It's the covenant you use if you have a couple bonfire ascetics and some time to just idle.

Yeah, that makes sense.

For when I'm ready to start stepping into PvP more, what's the most reliable PvP covenant? I'm considering Dragon Remnants for lots of duels.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I want to play rat covenant like it's intended but everyone just camps the starting point. :smith:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that makes sense.

For when I'm ready to start stepping into PvP more, what's the most reliable PvP covenant? I'm considering Dragon Remnants for lots of duels.

Dragon Remnants, or use the red sign soapstone (buy it from Titchy Gren) on someplace like the Iron Keep bridge. Or play the host and summon those people, if you don't mind wearing a ring of life protection/using a human effigy every few deaths. Or complete all three DLCs, visit Vendrick's memory, and wear one of the four crowns when summoning dragons/red phantoms to get around the hollowing problem.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that makes sense.

It used to be Bell Guardians but it seems people mostly stay away from the belltowers now? Guess 24/7 invasions aren't so fun :cheeky:

Ratbros are super good times because you can invade people and not feel bad about it (its a reverse invasion)

But most reliable PvP is just to put a mark on the iron keep bridge like Suitaru said, either for dragonbro pvp or for dickwraiths brotherhood of blood. People PvP in that area all day every day.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

Yeah, that makes sense.

Bellbro from soul memory 80k-250k, after that put your red sign or dragon sign on the Iron Keep bridge. Dragon assures you of fairer fights and more variety in who summons you but you can get the red stone way before the dragon egg and putting your red sign down ain't bad.

When you're Bellbroing be aware that it often turns into a gankfest. This means that even if you're 1 on 1 with the host he'll probably heal if given the chance. Once you have an advantage don't give them any space. If you have 12 faith get to 10 or 13 attunement and bring along a heal spell so if they run away to heal you can too. Once in a while you'll show up and your fellow grey will be scurrying away from the host and his summon and then you can heal him and have an epic 2v2. You'll eventually see the same bros over and over if you do it for a while so make sure to celebrate your wins with them obnoxiously -- I like the old 'Get nude and toggle left-right-left-right-left-right' so you put your weapons away and bring them back out over and over. If you have a shield you can just press left over and over to do the butt scratch. Pretty soon everyone will be doing it, even guys who you haven't seen before who learned it from someone you taught it to. Also if you kill someone by the entrance be polite and close the door. If you kill someone near a bell lever you can run over and ring the bell -- the gate won't open in time for the game to save it but you get to hear the dingdongs.

To get summoned I find sitting in the Lost Bastile with the ring on gets me in way more often than sitting anywhere else (I usually go into one of the cells near the bonfire that you get to after the Wharf, but sometimes just sit next to the bonfire you get to after the eagle drops you off post Pursuer). I used to feet summoned often for Belfry Sol by hanging out on that shelf with the Alonne captain just after the Smelter Demon's bonfire but I think there aren't nearly as many people going through that area now as there used to be. It's very rare to get summoned from the Bastile to Sol or Iron Keep to Luna, and if you're not in Bastile or IK it's hard to get summoned in period most of the time.

raton fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 21, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Man, the Red Iron Twinblade made me quit earlier this week, too :v: It's like an infinite whirlwind of death with super hitbox.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I have only had a 2v2 situation happen once, but BOY is it awesome. Both me and the summoned dude on the host's side did the Pumped Up gesture once we realized what would happen and we both got caught by the other player. It was funny as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

Man, the Red Iron Twinblade made me quit earlier this week, too :v: It's like an infinite whirlwind of death with super hitbox.

Just treat it like a parry-able 360 aoe and you'll be fine imo.