Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dizzywhip posted:

I'm looking for a grocery list app or a general to-do app that can function as a grocery list. Specifically, I'd like one that remembers all the items that I've entered in the past so I can scroll through them and select ones that I want to re-add or get suggestions when I'm typing. Ideally that would be the only thing it does -- I'd prefer that the app didn't try to be "smart" and automatically categorize items by type of food or whatever.

I've been using the app Silo for this, and it's very close to what I want aside from two things. The list of previously-added items is sorted by the last time you checked it off the list with no option to sort alphabetically, which makes it very difficult to find what I'm looking for. It also doesn't provide suggestions when you're typing in a new item.

There's gotta be something like this out there already, but there are so many of these kinds of apps out there that it's hard to sort through them all.

My SO and I use Shopping List by hensoft. As you type in items it will list past items that match. The biggest draw for us is you can set up list sync so she can put stuff on the list and it will update my app.

EDIT: I think they have a 'lite' version so you might be able to test to see if it meets your needs.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

dizzywhip posted:

I'm looking for a grocery list app or a general to-do app that can function as a grocery list. Specifically, I'd like one that remembers all the items that I've entered in the past so I can scroll through them and select ones that I want to re-add or get suggestions when I'm typing. Ideally that would be the only thing it does -- I'd prefer that the app didn't try to be "smart" and automatically categorize items by type of food or whatever.

I've been using the app Silo for this, and it's very close to what I want aside from two things. The list of previously-added items is sorted by the last time you checked it off the list with no option to sort alphabetically, which makes it very difficult to find what I'm looking for. It also doesn't provide suggestions when you're typing in a new item.

There's gotta be something like this out there already, but there are so many of these kinds of apps out there that it's hard to sort through them all.

Grocery Gadget has suited my need for years.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bobfather posted:

Hilarious if you think that any weather pattern that matters is predictable with certainty for more than an hour.

In other words, enjoy the widget 5x the size that reports it will be sunny all day with a beautiful background of a sun!

Any Weather thing that doesn't give me a rain percentage chance for the day is totally useless, as that's all I care about.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

dizzywhip posted:

Add GroceryIQ to the pile. Has a history, though it looks to be sorted by store aisle, but is searchable. As a bonus, it has a website that you can use to enter stuff and set your own categories if you don't want to use your phone for big lists.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

Thanks for all the suggestions! I tried them all out, and I'm not a big fan of any of the UIs other than Wunderlist unfortunately, and it doesn't have the functionality that I want. The other ones do, and Grocery Gadget is the closest to what I'm looking for, but it still has a ton of extra features that I don't want. I'm considering switching over to it anyways, but in the mean time I'm gonna keep searching.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

dizzywhip posted:

Paprika is the best. Don't listen to these weirdos.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 21, 2014

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

tuyop posted:

Paprika is the best. Don't listen to these weirdos.

I actually used to use Paprika, it's great for recipes! I had never tried the grocery list functionality so I re-downloaded it, and it does seem nice but doesn't actually do what I'm looking for. There's no way to scroll through previously-entered items, and autocomplete suggestions are pulled from their database rather than what you've typed in before. Their database is at least better than Grocery Gadget's, for which five of the first six suggestions for typing in "juice" are different kinds of "baby juice", but it's still not what I want unfortunately. Thanks though!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

CaptainPsyko posted:

This is literally the whole reason that Dark Sky is even popular as an app.

Past one hour, it's forecasts go in the shitter anyway. This is fantastic.

It's the "should I wait 10 minutes to walk from work to my train stop" app.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

dizzywhip posted:

I actually used to use Paprika, it's great for recipes! I had never tried the grocery list functionality so I re-downloaded it, and it does seem nice but doesn't actually do what I'm looking for. There's no way to scroll through previously-entered items, and autocomplete suggestions are pulled from their database rather than what you've typed in before. Their database is at least better than Grocery Gadget's, for which five of the first six suggestions for typing in "juice" are different kinds of "baby juice", but it's still not what I want unfortunately. Thanks though!

Isn't this "all" pane what you're looking for? That's what I use for refreshing staples.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

tuyop posted:

Do you have remember password clicked on the login screen?

Tried it both enabling remember password on the login screen and in the settings, and I've never seen the TouchID prompt anywhere but the Safari extension. It's pretty disappointing, since I'd be comfortable having the app save my LP master password with biometric access, but not with a simple 4 digit PIN. :sigh:

Edit: just browsed around on the LP forums, and according to a post by a LP dev, this is actively being worked on, so I guess we just need to wait a bit.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 21, 2014

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

tuyop posted:

Isn't this "all" pane what you're looking for? That's what I use for refreshing staples.

It's pretty close, but the grouping by category sort of kills it for me unfortunately.

I'm pretty surprised that there doesn't seem to be any good list apps with those features. Maybe I'll make one myself since it'd be dead easy.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

dizzywhip posted:

I'm pretty surprised that there doesn't seem to be any good list apps with those features. Maybe I'll make one myself since it'd be dead easy.

Would your app have a weather widget??

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

TheJoker138 posted:

It's got the weather for the next...hour. It's the most useless thing I could possibly imagine.

Also what the gently caress is up with iPay or whatever? It says that it uses Chase Visas, and I have a Chase Visa, and it says it's not usable.

Is it the Amazon card? That one's not supported.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

dizzywhip posted:

It's pretty close, but the grouping by category sort of kills it for me unfortunately.

Try Our Groceries. My wife and I use it all the time. Remembers stuff, lets you un-cross things off the list, stores what you've added, has multiple lists (we use that feature for different stores), lets you re-order items, and DOESN'T group them! Has banner ads that are easily ignored and can be disabled by IAP.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ScarletBrother posted:

Try Our Groceries.
That's what we use. Needs suited.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

illcendiary posted:

This is amazingly petty and I can't believe I didn't foresee it.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

CaptainPsyko posted:

This is amazingly petty and I can't believe I didn't foresee it.

I really hope this isn't about introducing FirePay or something silly like that.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
Do any of the grocery/list apps mentioned have Android-iOS cross support? Fiancé is Android, I'm on iOS, and there has to be a better way for us than sending a million "WHAT DO WE NEED FROM THE STORE" texts.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Bamabalacha posted:

Do any of the grocery/list apps mentioned have Android-iOS cross support? Fiancé is Android, I'm on iOS, and there has to be a better way for us than sending a million "WHAT DO WE NEED FROM THE STORE" texts.

Our Groceries has cross-platform support.

Edit: Who has a good app for tracking gas fill-ups/gas mileage?

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

ScarletBrother posted:

GroceryIQ as well.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

ScarletBrother posted:

I've been using Gas Cubby for almost four years now and like it. It's allegedly getting a big update soon as well.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

illcendiary posted:

I've been using Gas Cubby for almost four years now and like it. It's allegedly getting a big update soon as well.

Didn't they get bought/merged with Fuelly? I know the fuelly app does the same thing and it's pretty good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ScarletBrother posted:

I've been using Road Trip for awhile. It's very nice now that it finally got an iOS 7 update (shortly before iOS 8 dropped).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've had this weird safari bug on my mini retina that I haven't seen anyone post in here:

Intermittently when I do a Google search from the url bar, I can't click links or page elements until I scroll.

So, google "dogs" (I do this constantly) and sometimes nothing can be clicked until I scroll down and up.

Anyone else run into this? I'm thinking it seems rare enough that a restore should clear it up.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

illcendiary posted:

Fuelly's been saying that for over a year (among the rest of their long history of vaporware), but a watched pot has to boil eventually.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

illcendiary posted:

Yeah it is. Any reason why?

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah it is. Any reason why?

Chase has said cards branded by others (in this case Amazon) remain under the control of the branding entity for deals like this. Consensus seems to believe Amazon views Apple as a competitor, more in the realm of mobile payments than phones, and doesn't want to cooperate, possibly vice versa.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

xilni posted:

Chase has said cards branded by others (in this case Amazon) remain under the control of the branding entity for deals like this. Consensus seems to believe Amazon views Apple as a competitor, more in the realm of mobile payments than phones, and doesn't want to cooperate, possibly vice versa.

Well that's loving stupid.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

TheJoker138 posted:

Well that's loving stupid.

Yes, one of the largest - if not the largest - online retailers of books, music, software, and movies deciding not to help a company that directly competes with it in those fields to launch a new and potentially extremely lucrative payment model is just loving moronic.

Clearly the people who run Amazon know nothing about how to conduct business.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Schpyder posted:

Tried it both enabling remember password on the login screen and in the settings, and I've never seen the TouchID prompt anywhere but the Safari extension. It's pretty disappointing, since I'd be comfortable having the app save my LP master password with biometric access, but not with a simple 4 digit PIN. :sigh:

Edit: just browsed around on the LP forums, and according to a post by a LP dev, this is actively being worked on, so I guess we just need to wait a bit.

Disable the pin and set logout at 1 minute I think it will work the way you want. It more or less let's me login with touch id every time i open it

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Infuse 3 has just been updated to support iOS 8 and the iPhone 6/6+. They also added support for DTS so you can literally play just about ANY type of video with it now.

I'm still comparing video players for iOS but this one seems like the one to beat.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
The Facebook app essentially killed my battery today. Is revoking it's background app refresh privileges enough to keep it from doing it again? I assume that stops push notifications as well?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

nickutz posted:

The Facebook app essentially killed my battery today. Is revoking it's background app refresh privileges enough to keep it from doing it again? I assume that stops push notifications as well?

It's been enough for some of us. :v:

Background app refresh and push notifications are separate things. You can have both, one, or neither, as your preferences dictate.

I'm not entirely sure what the hell Facebook does with Background App Refresh (other than consume battery), but it's apparently not anything I care about. The checkins feature nobody on the face of earth uses, maybe?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Guhh. How has Google not updated their hosed up Youtube app yet? You'd think they'd notice tons of one star reviews on the app store, or maybe -- god forbid -- run it on all possible iPads before they released it into the wild..

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

nickutz posted:

It's because the Facebook app engages in a poo poo ton of sneaky tracking behaviors, as recently outlined in the post:

http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/2jrg21/as_per_request_after_submitting/

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Molten Llama posted:

It's been enough for some of us. :v:

Background app refresh and push notifications are separate things. You can have both, one, or neither, as your preferences dictate.

I'm not entirely sure what the hell Facebook does with Background App Refresh (other than consume battery), but it's apparently not anything I care about. The checkins feature nobody on the face of earth uses, maybe?

Hopefully this does the trick. At least it forced me to look through the background app refresh page in settings. There were maybe two apps I cared about leaving on.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I'm hoping the settings menu's are a focus of iOS 9 or something. It's getting incredibly difficult to find things in the settings on iOS.

At least maybe start letting Spotlight search through the settings area.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it blows my mind that I can't type "location services" in spotlight and get to those settings.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

The Dave posted:

Yeah it blows my mind that I can't type "location services" in spotlight and get to those settings.

That is one of the things I use Siri for. Say 'Location Services' and it brings up a button for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Are there any "to do list" type of apps that you can share with someone else with the same app and have like a a joint to do list?