Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My American Express card adds a year warranty for Apple stuff. But yeah it's done through reimbursement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Has anyone noticed issues with the multitask gestures in ios 8? They seem to be somewhat intermittent on my retina mini and I can't tell if it's a software thing or if my digitizer is going a bit bad...

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

shodanjr_gr posted:

Has anyone noticed issues with the multitask gestures in ios 8? They seem to be somewhat intermittent on my retina mini and I can't tell if it's a software thing or if my digitizer is going a bit bad...

I've noticed they're a bit less responsive? But that's probably cause I'm on 8.02 and using an original wifi mini.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
I ordered an Air 2 to replace my ailing iPad 2. Apple only offers smart covers in vinyl and not leather and they don't have the metal hinge the old one does. Does anyone sell a smart cover that's leather with a metal hinge like the older iPads had?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The non-metal hinge is much better than the metal one in my experience. The polyurethane is a lot nicer than the old ones, too (though I did like the leather a lot). But to answer your question: I don't know. Maybe search Amazon? Any that work on an iPad Air 1 should work on an iPad Air 2 unless they changes the position of the magnets.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

BDawg posted:

I ordered an Air 2 to replace my ailing iPad 2. Apple only offers smart covers in vinyl and not leather and they don't have the metal hinge the old one does. Does anyone sell a smart cover that's leather with a metal hinge like the older iPads had?

The only non-official smartcovers I've found have been ebay knock-offs. I tried a few. They're all awful. (Poor fit and finish, rattling hinges, fraying edges.

The hinge-less vinyl official one is pretty solid a year in.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I exclusively use a GoGo Pillow as my iPad case. :cool:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I've been looking at cases for the iPad air, to get an idea for what will be available for the air 2. I used to have an iPad 3, and used an http://www.stmbags.com.au/catalog/bags-for-tablets/skinny-pro-for-iPad-Air/STM skinny, which I loved, though it felt a bit cheap.

Is there anything of a similar design but with better quality materials (and clasp)? I'm guessing there will be an air 2 version soon of everything.
Essentially a solid wedge that I can use on my lap, or on a desk with a separate Bluetooth keyboard is good.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I went Switcheasy canvas and never looked back.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Loomer posted:

I went Switcheasy canvas and never looked back.

This. Sturdy enough for world travel, not so heavy it ruins portability. Also a solid media stand position.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

BDawg posted:

You may be aware of this, but they ditched the metal hinge because it caused scuffing.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Went from loving my black leather heavy duty Smart Cover on my last iPad to way preferring the newer one. It's great and gently caress that last poo poo.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Kaizoku posted:

Yeah I'm really curious as to what Paradoxish is thinking the Applecare is used for.

Yeah, sorry, I was specifically referring to AppleCare+ and not the standard warranty. Most people I talk to are more concerned about extending the warranty than the accidental damage stuff, so I tend to just assume that's why most people buy it.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 19, 2014

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
What is the wear over time like on the screens of a modern ipad if it's basically going to see some light use around the house. Is there any reason to get some kind of screen protector? Or is that mostly for phones that are jammed into and out of pockets all the time.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Kersch posted:

What is the wear over time like on the screens of a modern ipad if it's basically going to see some light use around the house. Is there any reason to get some kind of screen protector? Or is that mostly for phones that are jammed into and out of pockets all the time.

It's mostly for crazy people, no reason to ever use one.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

wooger posted:

It's mostly for crazy people, no reason to ever use one.

Seconding that.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Space Racist posted:

You may be aware of this, but they ditched the metal hinge because it caused scuffing.

Yeah, but it looks nice.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I otter boxed my iPad4 because I got twin 4 yr olds and I work in extreme environment. Because I don't got noodle arms the extra little weight is no big deal and the screen is just as receptive. Yeah I could have got AppleCare but preventing the damage from happening in the first place seemed like a better solution to responding to a busted piece of tech. A couple drops later and it was a sound choice.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

shodanjr_gr posted:

It's just buggy. I'm getting a good number of springboard crashes like iOS 7 early on, and sometimes the gestures don't work at all. I saw a post elsewhere figuring out some pattern that caused it for him, something with the orientation switch and keyboard I think, but I haven't tested it out myself. When it's happened to me I think they started working at some point again when I just went to the home screen with the button.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
It's about time someone dug up some solid RAM info IMO.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Xabi posted:

It's about time someone dug up some solid RAM info IMO.

Yep, I decided to cancel my pre-order till I know for sure. I guess all the press people with access right now are still embargoed.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
My wife has been wanting an iPad for school and to play the occasional game. I don't need LTE. WI-fi would be fine. Which model should I get?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Mordiceius posted:

My wife has been wanting an iPad for school and to play the occasional game. I don't need LTE. WI-fi would be fine. Which model should I get?

Decide which size you want. If you want a small screen, a Mini, otherwise an Air.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
iOS 8.1 did not fix a drat thing about Safari running like poo poo on my iPad Mini 1. It's borderline unusable, thank god Chrome still works.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Astro7x posted:

iOS 8.1 did not fix a drat thing about Safari running like poo poo on my iPad Mini 1. It's borderline unusable, thank god Chrome still works.
Anything particular bugginess about it or just slow? I don't use mine regularly anymore (have a retina model) but was just messing with it now.

Of course it locked up while typing that the first time but I've seen that on the retina one too. Guess that's another 8.1 thing not fixed!

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I got my iPad Air 2 smart case in the mail yesterday. Oddly enough it just says "iPad Air Smart Case" on the front with no indication of it being for the Air 2. My original Air does not fit my new case either. That's not going to cause any confusion at all.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Mordiceius posted:

If she's good with the size, just get the iPad mini 2. TouchID is the only addition to the 3 and doesn't justify the $100 price difference.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

japtor posted:

Anything particular bugginess about it or just slow? I don't use mine regularly anymore (have a retina model) but was just messing with it now.

Of course it locked up while typing that the first time but I've seen that on the retina one too. Guess that's another 8.1 thing not fixed!

Slow responsiveness to everything is my issue. I can type something, take my fingers off the keyboard, and it will be half way caught up through entering a URL.

Is it too late to downgrade back to iOS 7?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Yes it is.

Have you tried to restore and set up as new? My iPad mini 1st gen doesn't do that. Neither does my parents iPad 2.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah iOS 8 runs like balls on my iPad 3, especially Safari.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

Go to a best buy or something and play with the two different sizes. The new air is really thin and light now, but the mini has the best form factor for reading while standing, in my opinion, since you can just fold the case cover over and hold it like a rolled magazine.

Playing with the two will give you the best sense of which one works.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

I had a Mini 1 until I recently sold it to fund my 6+ purchase. I loved that thing, it rarely had me wishing I'd had the full size ipad.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Amber Alert posted:

I had a Mini 1 until I recently sold it to fund my 6+ purchase. I loved that thing, it rarely had me wishing I'd had the full size ipad.

I actually feel the opposite about the Mini. It's too large to be portable for me, and nowhere near as usable as the full-size - I've long considered it to be the most difficult iOS device to type on, given its sizing.

Air 2 for me this week.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lexicon posted:

I actually feel the opposite about the Mini. It's too large to be portable for me, and nowhere near as usable as the full-size - I've long considered it to be the most difficult iOS device to type on, given its sizing.

Air 2 for me this week.

That's weird, my two thumbed portrait typing is just as fast on a mini as a 5S. If you're trying to do like home key touch typing in landscape, it would suck though.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

tuyop posted:

That's weird, my two thumbed portrait typing is just as fast on a mini as a 5S. If you're trying to do like home key touch typing in landscape, it would suck though.

Really? I don't see how that's possible. It's a far bigger, more awkward device with much greater travel per keystroke.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Are you splitting the keyboard? I don't have a mini, but in my air I can split the keyboard into two thumb-range smaller keyboards on each side of the screen.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

Landscape touch-typing on the Mini was actually really nice for me. I've got pretty big hands (6+ in the AT&T store was comfortable) and I'd wager my typing speed on the Mini was maybe only 20% slower than on my full-sized desktop keyboard.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lexicon posted:

Really? I don't see how that's possible. It's a far bigger, more awkward device with much greater travel per keystroke.

I don't think I have huge hands or whatever, but here:

As for speed, I don't know. Maybe thumbs don't take much time to travel an extra inch or whatever?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Supposedly the iPad Air 2 is a triple core CPU. Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Also, if that's legit, it has 2 GB of RAM for people who care about that sort of thing.