Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Fryhtaning posted:

I can't speak to doubling up on bonuses, but I'd be more worried about affecting my credit score.

Hard inquires stay on your credit report for two years and lower your score by several points. The effect on your score decays over time and is normally gone in a year so the overall effect is pretty negligible unless you plan on buying a house/car in the next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Buckhead posted:

I figure this is a good as a place as any to ask this... if you register for a credit card with some sort of signing bonus (i.e. 50,000 miles after purchasing $3000), are there restrictions in place that prevent you from cancelling the card and subsequently opening a new card of the same type and getting the bonus again? I'm sure there are, but I couldn't find anything specific on the internet.

Another nice thing if you can pull it off is to sign up for the personal and business card at the exact same time and get both approved. Or visa and MasterCard versions if both exist.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
A lot of the cards/banks won't give you the bonuses if you've already received it in the last 24 months or so. You'll also risk having your accounts canceled or being refused any further applications if you apply for a bunch, get the sign up bonuses, then immediately cancel the cards.

Basically, just don't be completely transparent about only getting the cards for the bonuses. Don't go overboard and spread your applications around.

And, ya, your credit will go down a little bit with inquiries and lowering of your average credit history, but it shouldn't effect it much - especially over the long term. And definitely don't get a bunch of cards if you're going to be getting a mortgage in the next year.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
My sister-in-law does that every year. They have one vacation where they open a new hotel card and a new airline card. They use the card for the year, while getting a heavily discounted vacation. Everybody wins!

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014
I am traveling often in my new job and would appreciate some advice.

I could not find a thread about travel luggage in SA so I think this is the best place for the help I need.

My job requires me to be on travel both domestic and international every week. Currently I am averaging about 4-5 days a week.

I have no loving clue of what I am doing in terms of packing or luggage. I would like to get the optimal set of luggage/carry-on to make my life easy.

Any suggestions for a carry-on that lets me fit 4-5 days of clothes? I would be wearing suits every day and would like to carry at least 2 different pairs of shoes.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I have a TravelPro wheely bag with a 3-fold suit compartment, I don't know the exact model but it's a 20 or 22 inch. I've used it as a carry on both domestically and internationally and as my only bag for trips up to a week. On some smaller regional jets overseas you may have to gate check. Fits 2 suits easily, though once you throw in an extra pair of dress shoes, extra shirts/ties, toiletries and workout clothes/shoes, it runs out of space fairly quickly.

It has held up very well. I don't think it will last as long as something from Tumi or B&R, but I have no complaints. I've probably only put about 60K air miles on it so far though.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There's a travel gear thread in tourist and travel under ask tell. But it's more focused for backpackers. Still the info is pretty useful. In short

1. portable toiletry bag with foldable tooth brush and mini liquid holders.

2. If it's always the same hotels then leave a set of clothes at front desk. That way just take your laundry home or whatever.

3. Eat properly and do exercises instead of pigging out in restaurants.

4. For bags lots of people like rollers but I prefer no wheels. the red oxx skytrain bag. Compact with foldable slot for suits. Tom bihn sells good stuff as well.

5. Different packing cubes for under wear, laundry, clothes and organization.

6. Bitch about airport lounges.

7. Have an electronics bag for chargers batteries and poo poo

8. Write post cards

9. Meet local goooooooooons

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
Do NOT meet local goons.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you are wearing suits, I recommend a wheeled garment bag. I have a Travelpro Crew 9 that has held up well - probably 250k air miles so far, checked about half the time. Only issue so far has been a broken zipper pull. Once it breaks, I will get a B&R.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Well drat. It looks like my last *A international flight was on a fare class that gives zero United miles. I was banking on that flight to get me to gold for the year because my work schedule has me busy with domestic stuff for the next few months.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Aristotle Animes posted:

Do NOT meet local goons.

People on the internet aren't real anyway.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Tyro posted:

Well drat. It looks like my last *A international flight was on a fare class that gives zero United miles. I was banking on that flight to get me to gold for the year because my work schedule has me busy with domestic stuff for the next few months.

Yeah, you gotta watch that closely on cheap partner tickets. You also don't get PQD credit for any ticket not plated on 016 stock. I'm missing about 9000 PQD from an LH ticket earlier this year because of that.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
I feel your pain. I'm 6 nights shy of Marriott Platinum, and my next trip is 6 nights in a city where our only approved hotels are SPG. :sigh:

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Mackieman posted:

Yeah, you gotta watch that closely on cheap partner tickets. You also don't get PQD credit for any ticket not plated on 016 stock. I'm missing about 9000 PQD from an LH ticket earlier this year because of that.

Yeah the problem is I don't usually get to book my own travel. Hopefully I can squeeze in one more trip next month but I doubt I will have time.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Speaking of luggage, saw this on Product Hunt this morning - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bluesmart-world-s-first-smart-connected-carry-on/

Carry-on case with bluetooth.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Aristotle Animes posted:

Do NOT meet local goons.

I'm in Seoul and trying all these cool restaurants and seeing local sights. Thanks to Seoul goooooooooons

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Speaking of luggage, saw this on Product Hunt this morning - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bluesmart-world-s-first-smart-connected-carry-on/

Some flyertalk bozos got ripped off via kickstarter by an idea just like this last yeah.

Also, remote locking. Lol.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I put the odds of this making scaled production at 0.5%

I put the odds of this meeting the timeline indicated on the Gantt chart at 0.0%

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I put the odds of this making scaled production at 0.5%

I put the odds of this meeting the timeline indicated on the Gantt chart at 0.0%

"You've gotta believe it before you can sell it!"

- Actual sentence uttered by an executive about a product that didn't work after making press statements to the contrary shortly before I laughed in his face and found another job.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Mackieman posted:

"You've gotta believe it before you can sell it!"

- Actual sentence uttered by an executive about a product that didn't work after making press statements to the contrary shortly before I laughed in his face and found another job.
I just.... sigh.

welp, here's what we're doing i guess.

*cries into liquor at night*

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Got a last minute assignment to the Netherlands and fly out this Sunday but can't find a oneworld flight that works leaving from the Philadelphia area. Going to end up sticking some nice international miles on Star Alliance/Lufthansa... sigh. Same issue flying to Cleveland the following week but I might take the train to Newark and fly out of their to get the miles on US Airways.

I'd very much like to find a oneworld flight to the Netherlands... any alternative search options beyond US Airways' website and Kayak?

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

http://www.oneworld.com/flights/timetable-search

Nothing direct but it looks like BA is the better option connecting through LHR.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Got my terminal-to-terminal transfer today via Delta's Porsche shuttle program.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lyon posted:

I'd very much like to find a oneworld flight to the Netherlands... any alternative search options beyond US Airways' website and Kayak?

Google flights or ITA Matrix

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 21, 2014

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Got my terminal-to-terminal transfer today via Delta's Porsche shuttle program.

How fast do they drive? I kind of want them to like drive out to the runways and race a taking-off airplane but that's not really "terminal-to-terminal."

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Thanks for this, through Google flights I got the most bizarre (but cheapest) routing out of Philadelphia. Still going to cost just under $2k but I'm not paying I guess so... I booked through American Airlines and I'm flying an Iberia codeshare on a US Airways flight to Amsterdam and then flying American back on a British Airways flight. It looks like I should get all my miles based on the fare code, hopefully anyway.

No idea if being Gold on US Air will get me any interesting perks on these flights but I doubt it since US Air doesn't do complimentary upgrades on international.

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009
Flying out for an interview tomorrow, any recommendations on the best way to pack my suit?

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Honestly, I usually just wear it on the plane.

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

bouncyman posted:

Flying out for an interview tomorrow, any recommendations on the best way to pack my suit?

you should be fine - worst case scenario just hang the suit up in the bathroom and turn on the hot water in the shower, close the door, and let the suit steam for about 5-10 mins. Just shake it out let it dry the night before.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

How fast do they drive? I kind of want them to like drive out to the runways and race a taking-off airplane but that's not really "terminal-to-terminal."

Not fast at all.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Lyon posted:

Got a last minute assignment to the Netherlands and fly out this Sunday but can't find a oneworld flight that works leaving from the Philadelphia area. Going to end up sticking some nice international miles on Star Alliance/Lufthansa... sigh. Same issue flying to Cleveland the following week but I might take the train to Newark and fly out of their to get the miles on US Airways.

In my experience one world is much weaker in Europe.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

sink the biz posted:

you should be fine - worst case scenario just hang the suit up in the bathroom and turn on the hot water in the shower, close the door, and let the suit steam for about 5-10 mins. Just shake it out let it dry the night before.

Most irons in hotels have a steam setting as well, which you can use if you're careful. Practice on a t-shirt if you've never done it before, and try not to burn your fingers. The advice above is simplest if it works, though. I do this with sports coats and wool pants a lot, too.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

caberham posted:

In my experience one world is much weaker in Europe.

Isn't it just BA?

e: oh and Finnair

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Pvt Dancer posted:

Isn't it just BA?

e: oh and Finnair
BA, Iberia, Finnair and Air Berlin

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

BA, Iberia, Finnair and Air Berlin

US Airways merging with AA has really screwed me in Philadelphia. United has a lot of good flights out of Philly and Newark isn't far so I used to be able to get good flights domestically and the Star Alliance is by far the best airline alliance particularly internationally, very sad.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I had a suit that I could fold in thirds and pack it on top of my carry on and the thing would be right as rain coming out. RIP that suit :(

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I'm 6'8" so there isn't a bag on earth that can hold dress clothes for me without loving them up. It is unawesome.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

gently caress clothes. I imagine there isn't a plane that can hold you without loving you up, mackieman.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Aristotle Animes posted:

gently caress clothes. I imagine there isn't a plane that can hold you without loving you up, mackieman.

LH F on the 748 did quite nicely, but that isn't really something one can plan around much less expect very often. The BusinessFirst seat on the old CO planes isn't terrible, though I make sure I get a bulkhead seat that has extra room in the foot well for my size 16 feet and I sleep with my knees bent. It gets the job done. It's also why I've stayed with UA through all the horseshit: Economy Plus used to be the only game in town, and it's still better from a pitch perspective than most domestic competitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

This thread is now Ask Mackieman about being Sasquatch.

Good god I can't believe you travel for work.