Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

I'm uninformed...what the hell are Chromebooks?
They're cheap laptops that basically just run the Chrome web browser and Chrome apps. Hardware-wise they're generally better than the equivalently cheap Windows laptops, but they don't run Windows or Windows applications.

So yeah, if you want to run full-blown Office, you don't want a Chromebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Quad posted:

Will the new Chromebook 2 work with SDxC cards?
In short yes. I've used ext4-formatted cards and I'm not sure how the new stable affects that, but I don't think that has any bearing on exFAT.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

You don't want a Chromebook then.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

They're cheap laptops that basically just run the Chrome web browser and Chrome apps. Hardware-wise they're generally better than the equivalently cheap Windows laptops, but they don't run Windows or Windows applications.

So yeah, if you want to run full-blown Office, you don't want a Chromebook.

Thanks y'all. Let me amend my question, then. Any recommendations for a laptop that is lightweight, has a long battery life, will run Microsoft Office, and is less than $500?

I just need it for doing homework (nothing intensive, no need for Photoshop or anything like that), watching cat videos, browsing the internet, etc.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

Thanks y'all. Let me amend my question, then. Any recommendations for a laptop that is lightweight, has a long battery life, will run Microsoft Office, and is less than $500?

I just need it for doing homework (nothing intensive, no need for Photoshop or anything like that), watching cat videos, browsing the internet, etc.

Best Buy has an Acer that I think has an i3 and touch for a low enough price that you can buy Office and still be around $500 after tax.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Acer always easily beats their competitors' prices for equivalent models from what I've seen.

They must be cutting corners somewhere but who knows.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The Lenovo Thinkpad x140e is kinda nice, a bit tiny, but extremely durable, nice batter life, and available refurbished on their outlet site for like 300 or less. I ended up with the one with an upgraded processor, 4GB of ram, and an SSD for 300 including taxes and shipping. It's not the most powerful, but it's a good little machine.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 19, 2014

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
I'm considering a i5-4210U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD Yoga 2 Pro for its ability to turn into a (clumsy) tablet for $1250 CAD ($1100 USD).

The only thing that would change my mind is if I could find better value in terms of performance OR a bigger screen, but I don't think there are tablet-transformable 15" laptops.

Just one last check before I pull the trigger! (This is for my dad, by the way. I already own a Y2P. In case you have an incredible memory and remember me posting about this last year.) :tinfoil:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

Is a Surface RT out of the question?

Buddy got one for his mom because it came with Office for free. She does Facebook and her church's finances and types up their weekly bulletins and he said it was a great idea for her.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

Do you want a netbook? The ASUS Transformer Book T100 looks like a pretty good fit for what you want, and is among the best of the cheap bay trail tablets.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

internet inc posted:

I'm considering a i5-4210U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD Yoga 2 Pro for its ability to turn into a (clumsy) tablet for $1250 CAD ($1100 USD).

The only thing that would change my mind is if I could find better value in terms of performance OR a bigger screen, but I don't think there are tablet-transformable 15" laptops.

Just one last check before I pull the trigger! (This is for my dad, by the way. I already own a Y2P. In case you have an incredible memory and remember me posting about this last year.) :tinfoil:
I don't suppose you can talk me out of getting one, can you? I have a perfectly functional 15" Toshiba that I picked up less than six months ago but after researching the Y2P I can't shake the desire to replace the Toshiba with one. I know from personal experience that Windows is an awful tablet OS but I keep telling myself that the Tent and Stand modes would come in handy for presenting stuff to people and consuming media while in-flight during trips. Does the Y2P have any additional utility over a traditional laptop?

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

Karthe posted:

I don't suppose you can talk me out of getting one, can you? I have a perfectly functional 15" Toshiba that I picked up less than six months ago but after researching the Y2P I can't shake the desire to replace the Toshiba with one. I know from personal experience that Windows is an awful tablet OS but I keep telling myself that the Tent and Stand modes would come in handy for presenting stuff to people and consuming media while in-flight during trips. Does the Y2P have any additional utility over a traditional laptop?

I like to be able to browse the internet while in bed/on the couch without having a keyboard laptop in the way or use the tent mode when I'm cooking. I'll give you that Windows isn't quite ready for touch functions, though. I hate the start screen menu and have disabled it because it's so counter-intuitive, enough that I don't even want use any of the Windows Store Apps. Also, I use Foxit to take notes on PowerPoint presentations and it just doesn't work with touch commands.

All in all, I almost never use the touchscreen/tablet mode except when I'm in bed or on the couch. It's still pretty useful but not in a Surface Pro kind of way. I wish I had bought a convertible laptop with a digitizer or something. :( It's still a great machine but not much of a touchscreen monster.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Saw this on the Lenovo outlet for $1040 and was thinking of snatching it up. Carrying around, movie watching, Photoshop, light games (dota2 kind of stuff), Office. I'd grab another stick of RAM. Nothing really intensive. Thoughts?

ThinkPad T440s - New
Condition
Part number: 20AQ004GUS
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4300U processor (2 cores, 1.90GHz, 3MB cache)
Operating system: Windows 8 Professional 64 - English
Display: 14.0" FHD (1920 X 1080) MultiTouch LED backlight, IPS w/720p HD Camera
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4400
Memory: 4GB PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3L / soldered to systemboard
Hard Drive: 256GB SATA 2.5" Solid State Drive
Optical Drive: No Optical Included

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Does anybody here have a good sense for what exactly is bloatware and what you should keep? It's a Lenovo Thinkpad X140e, and I'm trying to free up some space.

http://pastebin.com/KY9hyFjw

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got a Lenovo Y500, and I'm ready to make the jump to SSD, and also to replace my DVD drive with the 1TB HDD the machine shipped with. The "official" caddy from Lenovo is $115, but there are plenty knock offs online for ~$20. Has anyone used any of these and know which ones work and which don't?
E: This one seems like the best bet, because it uses the plastic around the old ODD to blend in with the laptop, a problem which no other sites seem to acknowledge http://hddcaddy.com/en/lenovo-ibm-hdd-caddy/143-lenovo-ideapad-y500-hdd-caddy.html

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

I've got a Lenovo Y500, and I'm ready to make the jump to SSD, and also to replace my DVD drive with the 1TB HDD the machine shipped with. The "official" caddy from Lenovo is $115, but there are plenty knock offs online for ~$20. Has anyone used any of these and know which ones work and which don't?
E: This one seems like the best bet, because it uses the plastic around the old ODD to blend in with the laptop, a problem which no other sites seem to acknowledge http://hddcaddy.com/en/lenovo-ibm-hdd-caddy/143-lenovo-ideapad-y500-hdd-caddy.html

There is a post somewhere in this thread that discusses this issue. However, I am not sure if a specific product is actually recommended in that post. I researched this issue once, and I also found that the #1 complaint was a lack of 'flushness' against the laptop case where the optical drive bezel used to be. I "think" that some of the aftermarket products will actually let you clip your existing bezel onto their product. The best advice may be to read Amazon customer reviews. :(

schemie
May 3, 2004

I've had a y50 for a few weeks now and overall I am very happy with it. I have already upgraded to a sdd (which I would have done for any laptop) and the one remaining issue was the screen. It's not as bad as I've read it is but it's still a kind of washed out TN panel.

I ordered a replacement IPS screen on ebay and replaced it in about 5 minutes and the difference is night and day. This new screen is amazing and I can see myself getting good use out of this laptop for a long time. If you're on the fence about a y50 and concerned about the screen then I think it really is worth the effort of changing it out.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

everythingWasBees posted:

Does anybody here have a good sense for what exactly is bloatware and what you should keep? It's a Lenovo Thinkpad X140e, and I'm trying to free up some space.

http://pastebin.com/KY9hyFjw
The Office thing could be just a trial. The Nitro Pro on my laptop was just a trial. Skype, if you don't use it. Other than that surprisingly little that doesn't seem intentionally added by you (or is a driver for your hardware).

I'd recommend reconfiguring the Lenovo stuff to your liking from within the software and leaving it alone otherwise. There's some useful stuff in there and also some less obvious interdependencies. Some can be uninstalled, but it's hard to tell what exactly because there isn't like one universal package for all Lenovo computers, so some things I have no idea what they are. You can google each one of them, but they don't take up a lot of space anyway.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

schemie posted:

I've had a y50 for a few weeks now and overall I am very happy with it. I have already upgraded to a sdd (which I would have done for any laptop) and the one remaining issue was the screen. It's not as bad as I've read it is but it's still a kind of washed out TN panel.

I ordered a replacement IPS screen on ebay and replaced it in about 5 minutes and the difference is night and day. This new screen is amazing and I can see myself getting good use out of this laptop for a long time. If you're on the fence about a y50 and concerned about the screen then I think it really is worth the effort of changing it out.

How hot does this thing get? Could you feasibly play any games with the laptop actually in your lap without your legs burning or getting uncomfortably hot?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

schemie posted:

Could you link me the replacement screen you bought?

Did you need any special tools to make the switch?

I have a y410p which I really like, but it'd be interesting to get a better screen for it.

Speaking of upgrades, is there any way to buy a better battery for my y410p? This thing barely lasts 2 hours on regular use. Maybe 3 if I turn the brightness all the way down.

schemie
May 3, 2004

Zarfol posted:

How hot does this thing get? Could you feasibly play any games with the laptop actually in your lap without your legs burning or getting uncomfortably hot?

It gets warm but not not uncomfortably so after gaming for a while. The most hardware intensive game I've played so far is skyrim with a bunch of mods going and haven't had an issue. Other than that I haven't really stress tested it. I'll grab some benchmarking tools and see how hot I can make it tonight and report back.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Could you link me the replacement screen you bought?

Did you need any special tools to make the switch?

I have a y410p which I really like, but it'd be interesting to get a better screen for it.

This is the screen I picked up. Here is the detailed information about it. AHVA is the same thing as IPS. The main concern I had going into it was the 25ms response time. I haven't noticed any ghosting in practice.

I found a couple screen compatible with the y410p here. Replacing the y50 screen was super easy with no special tools. I'm not sure about the y410p.

schemie fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 22, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So the OP seems to be fairly out of date, maybe you guys can make a recommendation.

My wife needs a new laptop. Budget is around $500, but she could go higher if it made a huge difference.

She needs Windows, at least a dual core processor, at least 4GB ram, at least 500GB hard drive space. She needs to run a CAD program such as Solidworks or SprutCAM, and graphics editing such as photoshop/illustrator. RAM upgradeability is a good idea too.

Her previous laptop still works: it's a eMachines E627 and its performance has gotten pretty bad, with successive windows updates and such. I've cleaned off some malware and that made a big difference, but videos run really choppy, and with only 2GB of RAM it bogs down whenever she tries to do her CAD work.

She'd prefer Windows 7 over 8, and touchscreen is not needed. It does not need to be especially portable: it spends most of its time on a desk, and then occasionally taken in a big backpack to a meeting or whatever. It also is usually plugged in, so battery life is not crucial either.

She does need to be able to burn DVDs/CDs as well.

She found a Lenovo E540 on Amazon for $465.50, which seems like it'd hit most of the above, except that it's running Win8 Pro. Is that a good option?

edit: she also found a Lenovo G50 which seems similar except is has the core i5 4210u, for $448 on a 2-day sale at Fry's.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 22, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Leperflesh posted:

She found a Lenovo E540 on Amazon for $465.50, which seems like it'd hit most of the above, except that it's running Win8 Pro. Is that a good option?
Can't offer you better suggestions, but saying E540 doesn't really say much about the internals, so nobody will be able to tell if it's any good for CAD.

I'll tell you this much: the full hd screen they offer for the E540 is garbage and the hinges are getting awfully wobbly after a couple of months now. I also have a bunch of problems that just might be me with the wifi+bluetooth, getting the thing to sleep, getting it to wake up properly and occasionally perfectly random instant shutdowns (even when not touching the laptop at the time, so it's not the battery not being fitted properly or something like that).

I can't in good faith recommend it, based on the build quality alone.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Leperflesh posted:

So the OP seems to be fairly out of date, maybe you guys can make a recommendation.

My wife needs a new laptop. Budget is around $500, but she could go higher if it made a huge difference.
I'd look for 2yr old Dell Precisions or something. I was using one at work for exactly that sort of software and it could still do the job. Got an upgrade because I was offered one recently, but if she isn't doing anything too crazy you could probably look at older models. The newer Precisions are actually much worse in terms of build quality.

Something like this maybe? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precis...=item4add89dc26

17", but it has a warranty till 2015 and decent specs (i7, workstation graphics, dvd drive, OK keyboard/build quality). Probably spent its working life in a drawing office somewhere so I doubt it'll be too messed up aside from a pool of draughtsman's tears under the space bar.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 22, 2014

pilate
Jun 3, 2004
I'm looking for a decent alternative to the Yoga 2 pro. For reasons too long to get into, Lenovo and Acer are both on my shitlist and I'd prefer to avoid both.

I'm looking for a workhorse ultrabook. i5, 8GB+ ram, 256GB+ ssd. 1080p+ res. 13-14". Price flexible. Most importantly, I'd like something stable from a company that provides decent, ongoing firmware and driver support (unlike Lenovo and its yoga 2 pro :argh:).

The surface 3 pro is on my list. Any others worth considering?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

Can't offer you better suggestions, but saying E540 doesn't really say much about the internals, so nobody will be able to tell if it's any good for CAD.

Oh, sorry, I should have guessed the model number wasn't enough. It's this one.

Here's the G50 at Fry's.

quote:

I'll tell you this much: the full hd screen they offer for the E540 is garbage and the hinges are getting awfully wobbly after a couple of months now. I also have a bunch of problems that just might be me with the wifi+bluetooth, getting the thing to sleep, getting it to wake up properly and occasionally perfectly random instant shutdowns (even when not touching the laptop at the time, so it's not the battery not being fitted properly or something like that).

I can't in good faith recommend it, based on the build quality alone.

That's really discouraging, the OP seemed to be saying Lenovo ThinkPads were the well-made, NASA-qualified best laptops these days. :(

Chas McGill posted:

I'd look for 2yr old Dell Precisions or something. I was using one at work for exactly that sort of software and it could still do the job. Got an upgrade because I was offered one recently, but if she isn't doing anything too crazy you could probably look at older models. The newer Precisions are actually much worse in terms of build quality.

Something like this maybe? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precis...=item4add89dc26

17", but it has a warranty till 2015 and decent specs (i7, workstation graphics, dvd drive, OK keyboard/build quality). Probably spent its working life in a drawing office somewhere so I doubt it'll be too messed up aside from a pool of draughtsman's tears under the space bar.

That's higher than she wanted to pay, and I'm leery of used laptops. The six month warranty is a nice mitigating factor though. We'll take a look at Precisions.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Leperflesh posted:

That's really discouraging, the OP seemed to be saying Lenovo ThinkPads were the well-made, NASA-qualified best laptops these days. :(

The qualifier is X, T, W - the Edge range was never considered a real ThinkPad.

Even the traditional Thinkpads aren't as well regarded as they used to be - general consensus is build quality is sliding with each new model.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Leperflesh posted:

That's higher than she wanted to pay, and I'm leery of used laptops. The six month warranty is a nice mitigating factor though. We'll take a look at Precisions.
Yeah, that was the first one I found on ebay. You could probably get a better deal (or a lower specced machine) if you look around. I'd stretch the budget as much as possible because trying to model on a slow machine is agony.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lenovo outlet has Thinkpad 2 Pro Yogas with 1080p screen i5 and 8gb ram + stylus for $700

Woot has Dell 15" 1080p IPS touchscreen for $600, i5 & 12GB ram

Zorato
Nov 2, 2007

^ me reading your post
I need a laptop.

It needs to have at least a 14" display, HDMI port, and decent webcam. Preferably no touchscreen.

Used for home/business/very light gaming.

Budget is 600 bucks. I was looking at a T430 but it doesn't have the important HDMI port and supposedly the E540 is irredeemably a piece of poo because of its bad display.

Help me goons.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mini-Display Port (mDP) to HDMI adapters are about a buck at any online retailer and HDMI-mDP cables are pretty common as well

Bigntasty
Oct 15, 2003
What's the thought on buying a used laptop off ebay? I'm trying to get something with a decent resolution, light--under 4 lbs, and 12-14 " screen. Looks like a lot of T430s and x230s get recycled through there, but the resolution on them sucks. Anyone go this route? Am I asking for trouble other than having to wash a little semen off it, and probably needing a new battery?

Looks like a x230 i5/8gb/500GB can be had around $425 or so in good condition.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

Mini-Display Port (mDP) to HDMI adapters are about a buck at any online retailer and HDMI-mDP cables are pretty common as well

I couldn't find one that shipped to Canada for less than 25 bucks. :(

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Is anyone waiting on the Thinkpad Yoga 14? I have been waiting for a machine that balances battery, power, graphics, and tablet-ness in a 14 inch form factor for a while now. I have been waiting for reviews to drop and, admittedly, was disappointed by some of the early reviews of the Yoga 3 Pro.

So the Thinkpad comes equipped with a 840M. I've done a bit of reading on it and it sounds like it should be able to play games at medium/high on a medium/high resolution. I think that is adequate for me. I don't know of another 14" machine at this pricepoint that has the same balance of features.

Anyone have thoughts on this 'puter, or have ideas for what to expect when it drops at the end of the month? My 12" Pavillion dm1 is about to crumble to dust under my fingers at this point.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Here's one on ebay canada for approx $2 shipped, third result when i searched for "mini display port to hdmi"

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mini-Display...=item4189174f27

This looks identical to the one I have plugged in to my X230 right now.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Leperflesh posted:

I'm leery of used laptops.

Don't be. If you look carefully you can find a great deal. All my laptops I bought used and work perfectly. I bought a Precision M4400 a while back for a great price.. in warranty. This Vaio Z12 I'm using right now, and so on.

Business-class machines such as Latitudes and Precisions are usually a pretty solid bet, and they're always really easy to work on and find parts for.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 23, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

HalloKitty posted:

Don't be. If you look carefully you can find a great deal. All my laptops I bought used and work perfectly. I bought a Precision M4400 a while back for a great price.. in warranty. This Vaio Z12 I'm using right now, and so on.

Business-class machines such as Latitudes and Precisions are usually a pretty solid bet, and they're always really easy to work on and find parts for.
Yeah, most of the ones you'll see on Ebay are from companies changing out their workstations (probably unnecessarily). Most likely they'll have been sitting on a dock with the lid down, connected to two huge monitors. I haven't known anyone to take a Precision home with them or to a site. They're just too heavy.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Chas McGill posted:

Most likely they'll have been sitting on a dock with the lid down, connected to two huge monitors. I haven't known anyone to take a Precision home with them or to a site. They're just too heavy.

Describes my old Latitude D800 to a t.

It was sat in a docking station, beautiful 1920x1200 screen never used, by some finance manager. I grabbed it as the machines were being replaced.

Still works, use it as my car diagnostics machine. Upgraded a few bits, mind, but it was worth doing in the day - well-heeled companies refresh poo poo for no reason; yet poor ones don't even when the machines are swapping all day long.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bigntasty posted:

What's the thought on buying a used laptop off ebay? I'm trying to get something with a decent resolution, light--under 4 lbs, and 12-14 " screen. Looks like a lot of T430s and x230s get recycled through there, but the resolution on them sucks. Anyone go this route? Am I asking for trouble other than having to wash a little semen off it, and probably needing a new battery?

Looks like a x230 i5/8gb/500GB can be had around $425 or so in good condition.

I'm okay with it for the most part.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

My boss's laptop is dying and he's looking for a replacement that he can "run over with (his) truck" like he did with the current one (T420). My first thought was whatever the updated Thinkpad T series was but from what I read in the OP it seems like they don't have the same build quality that the old ones do.

Use cases will be document editing, web browsing, no gaming so integrated graphics should be fine. A 13"-14" screen would be ideal but 15" isn't out of the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been given approval to buy myself a new laptop for work and don't have to cheap out for once so I've been looking at Lenovo's models that have digitizers. My usage will be office stuff like documents/spreadsheets, some digital art and photo editing, and general entertainment like videos and maybe some light gaming. I don't do a *lot* of photo editing or sketching for work but do enough that I dug out my old Graphire and took it to work, but mainly I'll probably end up using it for doodling through boring meetings :v: To that end I was looking at the ThinkPad Yoga but wondered about waiting around for the new Helix instead. Also I have read mixed things about i5 vs i7 in the Yoga re: performance and power consumption and was wondering if it was worth getting the i7.