Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No, they just shoved it in this forum with the rest of the bad comics. Welcome home thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

idonotlikepeas posted:

It's not that it's not kosher to criticize QC, because it is, and there are things wrong with it, but we've gone over them in some detail before and frankly it's kind of boring. If you want something interesting to dig into, think about the answer to that question: why is THIS inoffensive sitcom comic wildly popular when a bunch of other similarly inoffensive sitcom comics get no traction and make no money? What quality is it that this comic has that others don't? Since we've done away with the usual excuses for why "bad" comics are so popular and renowned and make tons of money and are beloved by hundreds of thousands of people, what's left?

I don't why anyone would waste so many words in what amounts to a sideways appeal to popularity. I would have assumed that anyone who reads webcomics and could breathe would realise that popularity and quality have barely any correlation.

Anyway, people wasting moneny on Jeph Jacques' Patreon isn't that bad. It's good know that some people really don't deserve their money.

Fifthace posted:

As a webcomic author who actually did run out of steam re: making a webcomic let me just say: This is dumb and you're dumb. You don't know poo poo about how Jeph feels about making QC and mocking a dude for having a depressive episode is something a dogshit man would do. You are a dogshit man. Thanks.

It's indeed terrible how he didn't understand Jeph Jacques' deep feels or his special artistic sensibilities.

e:

Haha, thank you for clarifying what "good" means around here.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 21, 2014

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
These are my top 3 QCs:

My 2 favourite characters are the woman with problems and the guy with long torso.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hogge Wild posted:

These are my top 3 QCs:

My 2 favourite characters are the woman with problems and the guy with long torso.

Why does the black-haired person switch clothes, accessories, and gender between strips?

e: Or are they actually twin siblings?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 21, 2014

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Why does the black-haired person switch clothes and gender between strips?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Why does the black-haired person switch clothes and gender between strips?

Reported. I'm literally shaking.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I just read sweepingbravo's moderate-length effortpost and I have no idea why some people would think it's "hate" or somehow aggressive in any way. Sure, there's snark after, but judging by responses that snark was justified.

It's a fair and honestly rather gentle, even neutral-toned, appraisal. People wanted to know why there's people who actively dislike QC rather than neutrally non-acknowledge it, someone responds, and then you get some goons trying to stifle any discussion or criticism of the work in as intellectually lazy and condescending way you could manage without whipping out an image macro.

And they don't even care for it, judging by what I can see. It's like people are just allergic to honest opinions that aren't positive.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I just read sweepingbravo's moderate-length effortpost and I have no idea why some people would think it's "hate" or somehow aggressive in any way. Sure, there's snark after, but judging by responses that snark was justified.

It's a fair and honestly rather gentle, even neutral-toned, appraisal. People wanted to know why there's people who actively dislike QC rather than neutrally non-acknowledge it, someone responds, and then you get some goons trying to stifle any discussion or criticism of the work in as intellectually lazy and condescending way you could manage without whipping out an image macro.

And they don't even care for it, judging by what I can see. It's like people are just allergic to honest opinions that aren't positive.

Who the gently caress even says "snark"?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I think it's just that we see so many really, really bad webcomics (some of which are comparable on the "why does this earn money" scale), that it's a bit baffling to see anyone give the Exemplar of Bland a second glance. It's like walking onto the scene of a mass-murder and critiquing the drab wallpaper. I mean, yeah, analyze it if you want, okay.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Who the gently caress even says "snark"?

As far as I can tell you're upset that I don't write or say the kind of words that you want me to write or say. :smug:

Ditocoaf posted:

I think it's just that we see so many really, really bad webcomics (some of which are comparable on the "why does this earn money" scale), that it's a bit baffling to see anyone give the Exemplar of Bland a second glance. It's like walking onto the scene of a mass-murder and critiquing the drab wallpaper. I mean, yeah, analyze it if you want, okay.

On the one hand, fair enough. On the other, this was the topic of the moment, might as well let people discuss it. And I agree, QC is bland enough that I really have no urge to read it, so I can't even muster the material to give even a paragraph's worth of critique. That doesn't mean I want other people to stop talking about it, it's not as though we're going to reach Peak Posts on this thread, on the internet.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I just noticed that Pictures for Sad Children updated (kind of).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ditocoaf posted:

"This isn't as utterly terrible as Hitler, so I don't see why people bother."

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's once again pretty clear that some people kind of like questionable content and some people kind of hate it and both parties seem aware of its failings.

let's move on to the next part of the webcomic thread cycle where we argue about penny arca- :suicide:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Oh poo poo, Templar AZ updated~!

... on September 29th? I was sure I checked it since then.
More Jackie and Numbers. I hope Numbers stays in better shape than Ben

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fifthace posted:

As a webcomic author who actually did run out of steam re: making a webcomic let me just say: This is dumb and you're dumb. You don't know poo poo about how Jeph feels about making QC and mocking a dude for having a depressive episode is something a dogshit man would do. You are a dogshit man. Thanks.

Cool.

I didn't evoke the hand-stabbing incident to mock him, but to highlight how terribly inoffensive (as in, incapable to be offensive) the guy is. The most provocative he manages to be is to put swear words in the beak of a bird.

That's why the comparison with LICD doesn't work.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think qc stays popular because there are enough characters that aren't fully fleshed out so most people can find one they identify with, often by projecting their own ideas onto them.

Same with the mspa trolls thing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I thought about starting MSPA, loaded it up in Comic Rocket, saw that I was at page 1 of >6000 and immediately gave up.

nothings
Sep 29, 2008

Abyssal Squid posted:

In Demon news,

Short chapter, so we'll see what happens by the end of the week!

"Short chapter"? Why do you say that?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Wow hey, remember when someone made a Bad Machinery thread after like half a page of discussion? Since the QC talking is going on now a lot longer with more words and is generally more of a bore to read if you don't give a gently caress about it, why not move it into another thread for long arguments instead? You can even give it a funny joke title!

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
Does anyone have the QC guest strip where Faye goes back in time to try to stop her dad's suicide? I searched through the archives but couldn't find it.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I thought about starting MSPA, loaded it up in Comic Rocket, saw that I was at page 1 of >6000 and immediately gave up.

Counting the number of pages in MSPA is weird. A lot of them is a single image with no or little text. And then some of them are huge walls of text.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peewi posted:

Counting the number of pages in MSPA is weird. A lot of them is a single image with no or little text. And then some of them are huge walls of text.

It's also even longer than that dude thinks.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Psh, it's not that long.

:v:

This image is a) from June 2012 and b) does not include any text in flash/images, which was reasonable at the time since I don't think we'd had any of the walkarounds at that point, but by now would mean severe underestimation considering that Aranea's infodumps alone probably constitute a small novel :magical:

Nuns with Guns posted:

Wow hey, remember when someone made a Bad Machinery thread after like half a page of discussion? Since the QC talking is going on now a lot longer with more words and is generally more of a bore to read if you don't give a gently caress about it, why not move it into another thread for long arguments instead? You can even give it a funny joke title!

If we split it off and immediately gas it, will it stay dead?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Things are looking up in Three Panel Soul.

Also, cameo. :allears:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Renaissance Robot posted:

If we split it off and immediately gas it, will it stay dead?

Ideally

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

nothings posted:

"Short chapter"? Why do you say that?

You gotta read the Disqus comments, man!

Someone in the comments posted:

Farily certain [that this is the last page of chapter 6]. The store page says how long each booklet is (it says that chapters 1 and 5 are 36 pages each when in reality they are 35 and 34 pages respectively, but with the other chapters so far it's accurate) and it says that chapter 6 is 28 pages (and this IS page 28). Oddly it says that chapter 7 is only 4 pages, which when combined with the cover page would only be a weeks worth of updates.

I'm taking the word of an Internet stranger in the comments section without crosschecking, so I'd be willing to bet the farm. :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

idonotlikepeas posted:

It's not that it's not kosher to criticize QC, because it is, and there are things wrong with it, but we've gone over them in some detail before and frankly it's kind of boring. If you want something interesting to dig into, think about the answer to that question: why is THIS inoffensive sitcom comic wildly popular when a bunch of other similarly inoffensive sitcom comics get no traction and make no money? What quality is it that this comic has that others don't? Since we've done away with the usual excuses for why "bad" comics are so popular and renowned and make tons of money and are beloved by hundreds of thousands of people, what's left?

I have actually thought about this, and I believe the answer comes down to, as 100 Hogs Agree said earlier, characters. This is probably QC's greatest strength in gaining readers, since many of those other "inoffensive sitcom comics" (at least the ones I've read) tend to feature a fairly homogenous cast in terms of race/sex/etc. And it's understandable because hey, write what you know, and if I'm a white male, I'm gonna write a sit-comic about two zany white male roommates. But it's a well known fact that people like when they identify with the protagonist in a story, so Jacques fills his narrative with so many characters you cannot help but identify with someone. There's all ethnicities, sexualities, and neuroses present (there's also some robots if you identify with them I guess). He's not trying intentionally to capture different demographics with different characters, but I'm sure he does, that's just human nature. But honestly his overstuffed cast is one of the big symptoms of the real problem with his writing. Jacques' big problem comes with the fact that well, when you really look at it, he's as bored with QC as anybody. It's why every now and then, the entire supporting cast will get swept away into character limbo and be replaced with a whole new set, aside from the main cast (Marten, Faye, Dora, I guess Hannelore).

I honestly don't think he means to and I don't mean to mock him, but you can just look at his cast page and see that there are a whole lot of characters there who haven't shown up in years or read his comic and notice that frequently he'll kind of fall in love with a character and write a ton of strips featuring him/her. And every time that happens, all the other ones just kind of fall to the wayside, never to be seen again. This happens all the time in long running comics with bunches of characters like (this is a comparison that I never in a million years expected to make) X-Men, but generally characters in stories have a reason to leave or go away (frequently in the aforementioned X-Men they just die then come back later) but in QC, no one ever leaves town, and since no one ever seems to fight or get angry with anybody else, there's no reason for anyone to stop hanging out, they just... disappear. He released this print a while back for people to buy:

But honestly, half those characters haven't made appearances in some time. This is more accurate, (and since I invoked X-Men I had to Days of Future Past it:)

okay okay I won't lie this is the only reason I brought up X-Men

But anyway, yes, Questionable Content thrives because everybody has a character. Questionable Content lives on because of inertia (after all, we've all had this discussion and 'fessed up to reading it, even if we say it's bland), and Questionable Content is disliked by many for various reasons, but for me personally it's because I think the comic could be so much better if he actually focused on building up the characters he has rather than introducing a bunch of new ones every time he gets bored with the old batch. And maybe if the characters grew, something substantial would happen in the story other than "Whoa Marten has a second girlfriend in 9 years hold the loving phone".

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 21, 2014

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

Does anyone have the QC guest strip where Faye goes back in time to try to stop her dad's suicide? I searched through the archives but couldn't find it.

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=939

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Abyssal Squid posted:

You gotta read the Disqus comments, man!

I'm taking the word of an Internet stranger in the comments section without crosschecking, so I'd be willing to bet the farm. :v:

If it's short, I'm going to bet it ends on a cliffhanger, when it's revealed his daughter is a demon too.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

I really love The Girl Who Flew Away but am also hoping maybe things will sort of look up for Greer somewhat soon :ohdear:

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Hey, I had bad luck with the last upstart webcomic I posted, but maybe this one will stick around.

It's called Wilde Life, it started a month ago, and here's the story so far:

Ironic Twist fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 22, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ironic Twist posted:

Hey, I had bad luck with the last upstart webcomic I posted, but maybe this one will stick around.

He then becomes roommates with the ghost and buys her audiobooks and a polaroid camera.

It's loving adorable.

Ditocoaf posted:

Also, why does a story comic have a "random strip" button?
Maybe it came with the code, and taking it out was :effort:?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 22, 2014

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ironic Twist posted:

Nice so far, despite the town being literally named "Podunk" kinda clashing with the rest of the feel of the comic. Also, why does a story comic have a "random strip" button?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Ditocoaf posted:

Nice so far, despite the town being literally named "Podunk" kinda clashing with the rest of the feel of the comic. Also, why does a story comic have a "random strip" button?

There actually is a Podunk, Oklahoma. Although it's a ghost town that no one actually lives in anymore

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

DarklyDreaming posted:

There actually is a Podunk, Oklahoma. Although it's a ghost town that no one actually lives in anymore
Hahaha. I feel like that was intentional on the author's part. I'm not sure if it was, but I'm going to assume.

Sir Wilson
Sep 17, 2007

thousandcranes posted:

I really love The Girl Who Flew Away but am also hoping maybe things will sort of look up for Greer somewhat soon :ohdear:

This is pretty nice, I'm glad you introduced it! Definitely bookmarking this comic.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

Ironic Twist posted:

It's by the artist of Zap! which ran for like 10 years so the chances of it sticking around are pretty good. She's in webcomics for the long haul.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Now that I have read through Wilde Life's small archive, I will say that I enjoy it and am looking forward to new updates.

Also as far as I am concerned every fantasy story becomes 50% better if The Baba Yaga is in it, not sure if that should be tagged or not but just to be safe I am.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

KellHound posted:

It's by the artist of Zap! which ran for like 10 years so the chances of it sticking around are pretty good. She's in webcomics for the long haul.
Did Zap! end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

Elysiume posted:

Did Zap! end?

Yeah right before Wilde Life started.

• Locked thread