Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

It's okay. He makes it.

There's more than one guy in his family, might not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

evilmiera posted:

There's more than one guy in his family, might not.

He's Carmine. Unless he has a similarly aged cousin/brother/whatever with the same name I think he's good.

I mean we know Fish can't succeed.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Okay, the comedy aspect of the show is in full force. They keep this up I'll watch until its cancelled.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

I had the TV on, but I completely zoned out of the episode. I think this might be where I get off the train.

This is the episode that did me in. I realized about half way that I just don't give a drat, shut it off, deleted it from my DVR and then removed it from my scheduled recordings.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I thought it was the best effort to date.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Proto-Venom, Penguin gets down with the name, Fish's plan is a foot. I watched Donal Logue as a bad rear end vampire in Blade then this.

Best episode yet

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Well, judging by the comments, I'd say this was right about the point where folks either like it or they don't. It happens at some point in every new series.

They're going in a very detective-y direction here, which matches well with the earlier Batman canon. And, as far as Batman-related live-action shows go, it's fairly original. They are sewing in some characters who we know will end up turning more or less into villains, but who aren't bad yet. It's a little obvious since we already know them by name, but given that handicap, I think they're doing OK. I mean, Nigma isn't wearing question marks on his green suit--that's gotta be worth something!

For all the missteps--like Penguin's sudden rush of stupid in this episode--I still like a lot of what I'm seeing, and I think there's potential here. The first season of almost any show is often the weakest, and I've certainly seen a lot worse than these few first episodes of Gotham.

Now, if they could change the title card so that when it shows up on the screen, I don't blurt out, "Got Ham?"

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
I found it cool that a black and white version of Zorro was playing in Bruces tv. Even cooler if it was the Gray Ghost.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

JuHoZ posted:

I found it cool that a black and white version of Zorro was playing in Bruces tv. Even cooler if it was the Gray Ghost.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Grey Ghost just from one episode of the animated series?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

tarlibone posted:

I think Penguin took some some stupid pills at some point between the last episode and this one. For such a sly guy who rises from expelled vagrant to restaurant manager in, like, a week or something, he sure did manage to easily blurt out the one secret he should have kept, at least for a little while. I get that sooner or later, his identity would have to come out, but to blurt it out like an idiot? This, from the mastermind behind the little robbery that got him both a promotion and a big ol' sack of stolen money?

No way, the longer a secret like that is kept the more dangerous it becomes when he's found out.

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009

Blackchamber posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Grey Ghost just from one episode of the animated series?

Yeah its possible. Somehow though its one episode I remember really well from my childhood.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
They kept saying that guy had a mangled ear, but I didn't see any mangled ear. That bugged me. If the dude has a hosed up ear, show me the hosed up ear!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

They kept saying that guy had a mangled ear, but I didn't see any mangled ear. That bugged me. If the dude has a hosed up ear, show me the hosed up ear!

They did show the hosed-up ear. It wasn't what I'd call mangled, but it was clearly hosed-up.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

No way, the longer a secret like that is kept the more dangerous it becomes when he's found out.

Penguin sidling up to Maroni and saying "Yeah, I worked for Fish Mooney, I know quite a lot about Falcone's operations" was by far his best option, because Maroni will keep Penguin a closely guarded secret so they can take advantage of his knowledge and Mooney thinking Penguin is dead will have no idea where the leaks are leading to random purges.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

Yea really I think it shows Penguin is smarter than the average villain. He knew that Maroni would find out eventually and if he didn't control when and how that happened he'd could easily wind up dead. Instead he lets the cat out of the bag in a controlled way so that he knows how it will go down and he's confident he can come out of it in an even better position than before. He's two steps ahead of all the other characters.

Val
Jul 11, 2003

I have to gush about this show somewhere and it's this place. It's like I'm watching magic happen on the screen. They're taking the Batman-Mythos to places it has never been before and I'm loving every minute of it and I don't care if it is ridiculous or not because it's like the comic book universe come to life. And Oswald Cobblepot has never been this scary... ever! My hat is off to the people who crafted this take on the character because this guy is menacing. A true wild card in a sense. I even like how they hint at Barbara's substance abuse problems. I wonder if we could see The Question in this show? Montoya's in it... (which is awesome also). Fish Mooney is pretty cool, too and I love the guy who plays Maroni. This week's ending really blew my mind, too. I was thinking - could this be like Batman Mad Men?

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Not the greatest show so far, but I had a pretty good chuckle at

"What's altruism?! :bahgawd:"

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
Yeah, the show is pretty bad but its an entertaining bad where you can make fun of all the stupid poo poo you see. I still have a sliver of hope that this can improve, but for now I'll enjoy it for what it is until it bores me.

Val
Jul 11, 2003

I predict you will come around. I think this show has legs.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

pentyne posted:

Penguin sidling up to Maroni and saying "Yeah, I worked for Fish Mooney, I know quite a lot about Falcone's operations" was by far his best option, because Maroni will keep Penguin a closely guarded secret so they can take advantage of his knowledge and Mooney thinking Penguin is dead will have no idea where the leaks are leading to random purges.

Yeah, if Maroni had found out on his own he wouldn't wait to fact check with Gordon before starting the face-slicing. Maroni would have assumed he was a mole for Falcone.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Yea really I think it shows Penguin is smarter than the average villain. He knew that Maroni would find out eventually and if he didn't control when and how that happened he'd could easily wind up dead. Instead he lets the cat out of the bag in a controlled way so that he knows how it will go down and he's confident he can come out of it in an even better position than before. He's two steps ahead of all the other characters.

Well, while Penguin is sort of smarter than your average mook, every depiction of him also shows he's overconfident and gambles quite heavily on chance to win the day for him. It ended up screwing him over in the first episode, and I doubt he felt almost getting his face sliced off and beaten heavily was a good day for him, even if he'll turn it to his advantage in the end.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Val posted:

I'm probably going to try at least paying attention to the last episode on Hulu or something.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
Last night's episode was certainly the most enjoyable so far (I am deliberately not using the word 'best' because...enh), but gently caress am I ready for the Mooney subplot to come to a swift and violent end. This 'secret weapon' girl is unbearable to watch. She can barely walk in high heels, but she's gonna seduce Carmine Falcone?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Penguin's tough to get a read on. In the first episode he was pretty solidly "not as big as he wants to be or even thinks he is" and while he's definitely still playing up the sycophantic snivelling it's tough to gauge if he's some master manipulator of if he's just lucky that nothing's blown up in his face since he went into the river. Which makes him interesting in a show full of 1-dimensional characters.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Val posted:

It's stepped up to the plate, it just needs to learn how to swing the bat

Val
Jul 11, 2003

Bruceski posted:

Penguin's tough to get a read on. In the first episode he was pretty solidly "not as big as he wants to be or even thinks he is" and while he's definitely still playing up the sycophantic snivelling it's tough to gauge if he's some master manipulator of if he's just lucky that nothing's blown up in his face since he went into the river. Which makes him interesting in a show full of 1-dimensional characters.

In a few of the early moments he reminded me of 'Dark Knight' Joker - because he's a really calculating, unpredictable guy on the one hand, but he's young - he doesn't know what works yet! This is how he learns to be a crime boss, remember?

I don't think the characters are one dimensional at all. I saw a mob boss get attacked with headphones on a batman show today and I thought it was awesome. I think the comic characters can actually gain a really even culturally interesting new layer or texture or shift along the scale of archetype - however you want to describe it. I look at this and I just see modern myths as they find their shape and I find it really exciting. Maybe the show's just for me?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Val posted:

In a few of the early moments he reminded me of 'Dark Knight' Joker - because he's a really calculating, unpredictable guy on the one hand, but he's young - he doesn't know what works yet! This is how he learns to be a crime boss, remember?

I don't think the characters are one dimensional at all. I saw a mob boss get attacked with headphones on a batman show today and I thought it was awesome. I think the comic characters can actually gain a really even culturally interesting new layer or texture or shift along the scale of archetype - however you want to describe it. I look at this and I just see modern myths as they find their shape and I find it really exciting. Maybe the show's just for me?

Its going to be costly to fund it on your own. I just hope they toss the showrunner on his rear end and get Adam West to West it up, Adam style.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
Harvey Bullock being a dumbass made this episode work for me.

On ther other hand, Penguin's hair is distracting as gently caress. The giant chunk of hair on his forehead kept moving around from shot to shot, fron dead center on his forehead to like, pointed right at his left eyebrow, when he was sitting at the table with Maroni.

Also, whatever the f is going on with Jada Smith's character had better pay off soon, because right now I groan extra hard every time she appears, because I know I'm about to lose 5 minutes of my life.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I like this show, but I just have to repeat: this show is best when Alfred is shown being awesome to Bruce and vice versa. Those scenes have the most pathos, the most heart, and the best acting. I have to say, though, Donal Logue is killing it. He's an rear end in a top hat but at the same time when he asked Gordon if he wanted help, I felt the sincerity.

Also I know "stock Mafioso boss" is a thing, but I was just reminded all day of James Gandolfini. Miss that dude.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Hey, I figured out what made this episode better than the other ones: there was no Barbara! It should stay that way.

And was that a Maxie Zeus easter egg? :hist101:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just caught up with this show on Hulu and I have to say... it's... good? Definitely getting better every episode? The Penguin is absolutely fantastic, Donal Logue is perfectly campy, the Bruce/Alfred stuff is alright, and Catwoman is pretty good (and looks eerily like a young Michelle Pfeiffer). I kind of hate every scene with Fish Mooney because dear God she needs to dial the vamp back from an 11 to about a 7 but other than that, I dig it.

I just hope that Ed Nygma goes insane and starts doing crimes sooner because he's also a delight but gets so little screen time thus far.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Krad posted:

Hey, I figured out what made this episode better than the other ones: there was no Barbara! It should stay that way.

And was that a Maxie Zeus easter egg? :hist101:

While I agree the parts with her in them have been pretty poo poo it was sort of weird to end one episode with her walking out on Jim and then him not even seemingly care or mention it the next. Like he was enjoying having lunch with Harvey just hanging out.

That being said I like how the Gordon/Bullock dynamic is working. They've started to get along and even like eachother but there hasn't been a super forced scene where they put aside their differences and they clearly both still have their own way of doing things.

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014

precision posted:

I kind of hate every scene with Fish Mooney because dear God she needs to dial the vamp back from an 11 to about a 7

Have to agree with you on that one, though i have to say the two donīs re delivering a solid performance. Itīs gonna be interesting to see the don fall for mooneys new secret weapon

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Are Batman suits really that expensive? Why do this when you could have the same show, but with Batman?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Are Batman suits really that expensive? Why do this when you could have the same show, but with Batman?

Probably something to do with them making more Batman movies.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Batsuit is under constant threat of being fenced by drunk hobos. It must be guarded by professionals at all times.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Wezlar posted:

Probably something to do with them making more Batman movies.

Also, this way the network only has to pay to produce a B- quality cop show. And they certainly have the system set up for that.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

oneof27 posted:

Also, this way the network only has to pay to produce a B- quality cop show. And they certainly have the system set up for that.

Even if they had the budget they wouldn't let that happen. The Bat embargo can be weird sometimes on what they do and dont allow, even complete reversals at times, but no even if they had a big budget they wouldn't allow it.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

That last episode was great. They really need to keep the campy/humor thing going, where goofy poo poo can happen but everyone still appropriately reacts with :stonk: They've got good stuff to work with and all they need to do is focus on it, like Bruce & Alfred, Bruce and his company, Penguin, even the cop duo felt fine last episode.

What I don't care about seeing is:
- The Barbara misunderstanding/internal affairs type story
- Fish Mooney
- Fish Mooney's girl

I really hope they aren't going the predictable route where Falcone ends up falling for the obvious plant. Please just have him listen to some classical aria's with her, gazing at a Gotham sunset, and then have one of his guys shoot her in the back of the head when the music crescendos. She's way too dumb and the plan feels way too obvious. Just fake-out that entire storyline, I'd be more than happy with the pay-off being that they show Falcone isn't a gullible sap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Fleve posted:

I really hope they aren't going the predictable route where Falcone ends up falling for the obvious plant. Please just have him listen to some classical aria's with her, gazing at a Gotham sunset, and then have one of his guys shoot her in the back of the head when the music crescendos. She's way too dumb and the plan feels way too obvious. Just fake-out that entire storyline, I'd be more than happy with the pay-off being that they show Falcone isn't a gullible sap.

I doubt they'd have Fish take out Falcone. I'm thinking Penguin takes out Fish, then goes up against Falcone next season.

• Locked thread