Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
They should release Mario kart 64's arenas for Mario kart 8's battle mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

I would be surprised if we don't get some battle mode DLC eventually.

Nuclear War posted:

I was about to say, how is it it works there? Anyway, my SO has one of the large 3ds handhelds, would Ocarina of Time and the older Pokemon games I see are available for that be any good, or are they the same mess of barely held together emulated games?

Not sure which Pokemon games you mean, but Ocarina 3D is the best version of that game.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Xavier434 posted:

Honestly, that doesn't say much. Any job description for a position like that will contain that sort of language. They always word it to cover both existing and future projects.

It does say what he was talking about though, namely that they are going to release another console. There's no need to have graphics architecture of an SoC as a part of the job description/qualifications if you didn't intend on making a new console. The Wii U, 3DS and new 3DS all have their graphics architecture laid out, so there would be no reason to solicit someone who has that experience (and the higher salary that that entails) unless your plan is for a future console.

The only other thing I'd venture a guess at is a copy/paste from a previous job description, but you would think they would pull out the graphics architecture part since it's the highest paying qualification in that description, if that wasn't your intent. You'd just end up with a lot of people interviewing for a job they would be over-qualified for and with that comes a waste of time and money on everyone's behalf.

Edit: Basically, that job description makes no sense outside of being involved with R&D of new graphics hardware.

Edit2: Just saw "Low power and SoC design experience would be a plus", basically spells out that it's new graphics hardware early enough in the design stage that low power is something that is preferred over something that is required.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 21, 2014

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'd pay for that DLC.

Fremry posted:

It does say what he was talking about though, namely that they are going to release another console. There's no need to have graphics architecture of an SoC as a part of the job description/qualifications if you didn't intend on making a new console. The Wii U, 3DS and new 3DS all have their graphics architecture laid out, so there would be no reason to solicit someone who has that experience (and the higher salary that that entails) unless your plan is for a future console.

The only other thing I'd venture a guess at is a copy/paste from a previous job description, but you would think they would pull out the graphics architecture part since it's the highest paying qualification in that description, if that wasn't your intent. You'd just end up with a lot of people interviewing for a job they would be over-qualified for and with that comes a waste of time and money on everyone's behalf.

Edit: Basically, that job description makes no sense outside of being involved with R&D of new graphics hardware.

Counter point: Job descriptions very rarely describe a job accurately or how a company intends to use that person in the near future. We have no clue if Nintendo is working on a new console right now or not based on that job posting.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Xavier434 posted:

Counter point: Job descriptions very rarely describe a job accurately or how a company intends to use that person in the near future. We have no clue if Nintendo is working on a new console right now or not based on that job posting.

Counter counterpoint: There's no reason to put up a job description for a lead graphics architecture that has like 8 references to the future state of their graphics design as well as 5+ years experience at a lead graphics architecture role (and the 6-figure salary that comes with that) to do minor optimization tweaks to their already stable graphics architecture on the Wii U or 3DS.

Unless the description is completely dead-set wrong on the role this person would be applying for (like asking for a classically trained french chef when you need someone to flip burgers at Wendy's), it means they are in R&D, however early it may be, for new graphics hardware.

Edit: Not that that should be news though, since it's an open secret that game companies start work on their next console soon before or after launch of a console.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The idea that Nintendo might be working on new hardware shouldn't be a revelation to anyone, because I'd expect there's always something being planned or prototyped or whatever you like at Nintendo HQ (or any other large electronics corporation, really).

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

The idea that Nintendo might be working on new hardware shouldn't be a revelation to anyone, because I'd expect there's always something being planned or prototyped or whatever you like at Nintendo HQ (or any other large electronics corporation, really).

Exactly. Like, the N64 released in mid 1996, and Nintendo already had staffed and started working on the architecture of the Gamecube in 1998. Previous to that, the N64 was being worked on in early 1993 when the SNES was released in late 1990. The concept of the Wii started in 2001 which is the same year that the Gamecube released, with a full staff starting formal work in 2003.

Based on the known facts of the history of Nintendo's development timing of previous consoles, staff working on the architecture of their next console should have started in the spring/early summer of 2014.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Fremry posted:

Counter counterpoint: There's no reason to put up a job description for a lead graphics architecture that has like 8 references to the future state of their graphics design as well as 5+ years experience at a lead graphics architecture role (and the 6-figure salary that comes with that) to do minor optimization tweaks to their already stable graphics architecture on the Wii U or 3DS.

Unless the description is completely dead-set wrong on the role this person would be applying for (like asking for a classically trained french chef when you need someone to flip burgers at Wendy's), it means they are in R&D, however early it may be, for new graphics hardware.

Edit: Not that that should be news though, since it's an open secret that game companies start work on their next console soon before or after launch of a console.

I agree that it is likely for these reasons. It was never a question that Nintendo is going to release another console in the future anyways. I am just not ready to jump to the immediate conclusion that they are working it right now based on this job opening alone. Maybe they are. Maybe they aren't. They probably are though.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Hey goons, it's getting close to time for me to pick up a WiiU I think. Can anyone tell me if there is some sort of special set coming out like the Zelda one from awhile ago? Or maybe a special deal like the Mario kart deal? Would it be best to wait until after Xmas at this point? Thanks in advance goons.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

XtraSmiley posted:

Hey goons, it's getting close to time for me to pick up a WiiU I think. Can anyone tell me if there is some sort of special set coming out like the Zelda one from awhile ago? Or maybe a special deal like the Mario kart deal? Would it be best to wait until after Xmas at this point? Thanks in advance goons.

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?productId=prod150200

Best Deal

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

there's a nintendo direct on thursday for the wiiu version of smash, where there's a non zero chance they might announce a bundle, if that interests you

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I should probably trade in my 3DS version of that game while it's still worth something, I can't imagine I'll Smash on the 3DS anymore than the 40 hours I have already. Although, do we know anything about how the 3DS and Wii U versions are supposed to interact? Is it something really awesome?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Xavier434 posted:

I agree that it is likely for these reasons. It was never a question that Nintendo is going to release another console in the future anyways. I am just not ready to jump to the immediate conclusion that they are working it right now based on this job opening alone. Maybe they are. Maybe they aren't. They probably are though.

I am positive that Nintendo is working on it and Sony is working on the PS5 and Microsoft is working on the Xbox Two (or maybe Xbox Three Hundred and Sixty). Console development isn't something that you just drop into when it's your primary business; it's a continuous process. Now it's possible that Nintendo isn't out of the "bouncing ideas off the wall" stage of development yet, but I'd bet that they're getting ready to start ramping up the development process for their next system.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I should probably trade in my 3DS version of that game while it's still worth something, I can't imagine I'll Smash on the 3DS anymore than the 40 hours I have already. Although, do we know anything about how the 3DS and Wii U versions are supposed to interact? Is it something really awesome?

We know that you can use your 3DS as a controller for the WiiU version (although this may not require a 3DS copy of smash)
We know that you will NOT be able to play against someone on the WiiU version with the 3DS version (or vice versa)
We know Amiibos will be compatible with both (and could have bonus features for using both)
We know that you can transfer custom fighters from one version to the other (which presumably unlocks those items on the other version if they weren't unlocked already)

That's about it. There's a Smash WiiU direct thursday night where they will probably announce more features, so if you can wait till then that's when we'll know more.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Something to think about if you are jumping in on the Toys R Us Amiibo deal:

joystiq.com posted:

An Amiibo figure slated to launch alongside Super Smash Bros. for Wii U next month will also be compatible with the recently released Wii U brawler Hyrule Warriors, Nintendo of America announced today.

Players who purchase Super Smash Bros. for Wii U's Link figure can register the Hylian hero with Hyrule Warriors, presumably after a software update. No further details regarding Hyrule Warriors' Amiibo functionality have been announced, but Nintendo notes that more information will be available as Super Smash Bros. for Wii U approaches its North American launch on November 21.

Source.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The funny thing that everyone seems to overlook w/r/t the value of Smash 3DS is that it's portable. Like, having Smash in my pocket is pretty loving sweet. Yeah, it's not going to be quite the same experience as the WiiU version, but sitting in your dark bedroom and playing it on the 3DS is probably not the point.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'd pay $20 for online Mario Kart 64 Battle Mode.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

RyokoTK posted:

The funny thing that everyone seems to overlook w/r/t the value of Smash 3DS is that it's portable. Like, having Smash in my pocket is pretty loving sweet. Yeah, it's not going to be quite the same experience as the WiiU version, but sitting in your dark bedroom and playing it on the 3DS is probably not the point.

When I used to take public transit a lot, yeah this would be a big sell, but I drive nowadays and thus I don't have any real opportunity or use for a portable game on its face, and if I need a game for a long road trip or something where I am NOT driving, that's sort of what games like Persona Q are for. The 3DS just has too crappy of online and the stages are boring, so I don't see why I'd play it once I get the Wii U version. But I can wait until Thursday to see what the Direct has to say.

Has there been an Iwata Asks about Hyrule Warriors yet?

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

This might be a long shot, but has anyone else had problems buying from the Nintendo UK online store? I bit the bullet and ordered the Mario Mega Bundle now that Bayonetta 2's apparently amazing, and I've spent the last two loving days trying to get them to take my money. I know my card is working, I've tried entering and re-entering my details, etc., and all that happens is 8 hours later a form email saying it didn't work and to re-enter my details again.

On top of that the customer support is loving useless; they can't see anything more than what I can already see from my account, they can't let me change payment methods, and they can't cancel my order since it's already sitting in the warehouse for dispatch. Anybody have any clue what the gently caress I can do now?

I just want to play Mario and Bayonetta 2, Nintendo, why won't you take my money?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

RyokoTK posted:

You'll still be able to play it in your dark bedroom on just the pad. :)

The 3DS version is great but I'm sure I'll sell it once the Wii U one is out. I'm afraid I'm going to break my circle pad if I play it too much.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm mainly getting Smash to play with friends on the couch, so the 3DS one would pretty much be worthless to me.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

SeANMcBAY posted:

You'll still be able to play it in your dark bedroom on just the pad. :)

Look at this rear end in a top hat whose Gamepad reaches to his bedroom. I'll bet it reaches your bathroom too, huh rear end in a top hat? :argh:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

codenameFANGIO posted:

Look at this rear end in a top hat whose Gamepad reaches to his bedroom. I'll bet it reaches your bathroom too, huh rear end in a top hat? :argh:

A proper gameroom is also your dark bedroom.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

codenameFANGIO posted:

My Gamepad was defective so it only works if plugged in. The cord is pretty long so it's not a big deal, but it's a bit obnoxious at times. Hope this makes you feel better.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

codenameFANGIO posted:

Posts like this one makes me wonder about how much of a killing Nintendo would make if they offered some sort of gamepad "access point" or signal booster. Wii U anywhere in your house!

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

thorsilver posted:

This might be a long shot, but has anyone else had problems buying from the Nintendo UK online store? I bit the bullet and ordered the Mario Mega Bundle now that Bayonetta 2's apparently amazing, and I've spent the last two loving days trying to get them to take my money. I know my card is working, I've tried entering and re-entering my details, etc., and all that happens is 8 hours later a form email saying it didn't work and to re-enter my details again.

On top of that the customer support is loving useless; they can't see anything more than what I can already see from my account, they can't let me change payment methods, and they can't cancel my order since it's already sitting in the warehouse for dispatch. Anybody have any clue what the gently caress I can do now?

I just want to play Mario and Bayonetta 2, Nintendo, why won't you take my money?

Check with your bank to be sure they're not denying it on grounds of the sheer payment size first. Its three hundred pounds and I dunno if the online store uses secure payment software. All I do know is that Lloyds recently imposed an online transaction limit of five hundred, and whilst that still leaves some space, whoever you're with might have similar, and thus a general wariness.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
There are games I don't like playing on handhelds, Smash Bros and Monster Hunter are some of them. Anything that requires or is better with precision controls I don't want to play on a handheld basically. Which is why I'm really going to be disappointed if the next Monster Hunter game isn't on the Wii U.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Modern Sonic games are #1 when it comes to butt rock

I'm gonna make a Guilty Gear mod that replaces all the songs with crush 40.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

re: gamepad

I loving love the gamepad and play strictly from it. I currently don't even have my WiiU plugged into a TV or monitor. I love being able to play games and also watch a stream or something at the same time.

poo poo's great

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

codenameFANGIO posted:

I played MK8 online while sitting on the shitter. No dice on sweet kitchen action, though.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Xavier434 posted:

Posts like this one makes me wonder about how much of a killing Nintendo would make if they offered some sort of gamepad "access point" or signal booster. Wii U anywhere in your house!

I agree with you in general, but I wonder if it would be spun as a PR disaster: "WiiU gamepad only has a 5ft range--you have to buy an extender just to use the damned thing! Thanks, Obama! Thanks, Nintendo!"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kaubocks posted:

re: gamepad

I loving love the gamepad and play strictly from it. I currently don't even have my WiiU plugged into a TV or monitor. I love being able to play games and also watch a stream or something at the same time.

poo poo's great

I'm planning on getting an HD tv in time for Smash, because I have to play that game at the best I can play it. But right now I currently don't have an HD tv, and the screen on the tablet looks GREAT! Mario Kart 8 looks great on it, 3D World looks great on it. The screen just looks good and CRISP. So I don't feel like I'm losing out on anything other than the image being TV sized. It's absolutely wonderful for youtube and other stuff (I currently have the co-optional podcast stream going on on it and it's great).

The gamepad rules, and anyone that bad mouthed it can SHOVE IT

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm glad my gamepad can travel all the way to my bedroom (since it's really just on the other side of a wall) but I'm not bringing this big hunking thing into the bathroom while I float poo poo particles in the air. Besides, I've dropped things into the toilet before and I'm not interested in having the gamepad be the next one.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

BottledBodhisvata posted:

My Gamepad was defective so it only works if plugged in. The cord is pretty long so it's not a big deal, but it's a bit obnoxious at times. Hope this makes you feel better.

it does a little actually

enojy posted:

I'm glad my gamepad can travel all the way to my bedroom (since it's really just on the other side of a wall) but I'm not bringing this big hunking thing into the bathroom while I float poo poo particles in the air. Besides, I've dropped things into the toilet before and I'm not interested in having the gamepad be the next one.

Now look at THIS rear end in a top hat who has never played a 3DS on the toilet. :wtf:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
With Bayonetta 2 coming out pretty soon, we're likely to have another addition to the recommended games, uh, list. I'm not sure I've seen anyone in this thread who has played Hyrule Warriors and been dissatisfied, even though I have my own misgivings about putting it up with some of the other games. Is there anyone who has really not enjoyed HW, or are the people who wouldn't like it just well aware of what they'd be getting into?

In addition, I'll probably be considering SSB for Wii U an exclusive when it releases due to how different it is from its 3DS counterpart (and how many of you felt that WWHD should be listed as an exclusive). Figured I'd bring that up now, rather than later.

Also, some adjustments to the OP:
  • Added a release date for Tetrobots - October 30th
  • Cleaned up some stuff near the top
  • Put links regarding the upcoming Direct near the top.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Ultigonio posted:

With Bayonetta 2 coming out pretty soon, we're likely to have another addition to the recommended games, uh, list. I'm not sure I've seen anyone in this thread who has played Hyrule Warriors and been dissatisfied, even though I have my own misgivings about putting it up with some of the other games. Is there anyone who has really not enjoyed HW, or are the people who wouldn't like it just well aware of what they'd be getting into?

In addition, I'll probably be considering SSB for Wii U an exclusive when it releases due to how different it is from its 3DS counterpart (and how many of you felt that WWHD should be listed as an exclusive). Figured I'd bring that up now, rather than later.

Also, some adjustments to the OP:
  • Added a release date for Tetrobots - October 30th
  • Cleaned up some stuff near the top
  • Put links regarding the upcoming Direct near the top.

Yeah, I'm in the corner that thinks SSB should be considered an exclusive.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Oh also I updated the software deals man I am really bad at updating eShop stuff

If you are not already using PaletteSwappedNinja's thread for digital deals please do that because I am awful at updating those despite the fact that I check them every week. UK gets all the cool connection sales.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Why... would Smash Bros for WiiU not be a WiiU exclusive? :confused:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Would you be less confused if I'd just said "Super Smash Bros."?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I'm of the idea that if it's exclusive to a company and just so happens to be on both the portable as well as home console, it's an exclusive on each of them. When people see that it's not exclusive they immediately think it's available on another company's console.

• Locked thread