Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

odiv posted:

The LGS here wants $42 for Stormbreath Dragon and I've tried twice and failed to get people in the selling/trading thread to send cards to Canada

You could buy it for 21 CAD at Face to Face games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Also lmao if you think the police would give two shits about your missing Puca Points if the operators ever just cut and run.
Actually, law enforcement people I know tend to take fraud and the like very seriously.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM
I've been messing around with building a Whip deck for standard just as a goofy, fun project. While thinking of possible whip targets there are some weird interactions that came up.

The one I can't quite be sure of the ruling is clever impersonator. If I whip it back, does it become a new object on the battlefield and not get haste, but also not exile at the end of the turn? I think it comes down to what order do the triggers apply, or do I get to order them?

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Yeah I'm up in Canada too and FaceToFace is where I get everything. Quick with cheap shipping.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

DarkRider09 posted:

The one I can't quite be sure of the ruling is clever impersonator. If I whip it back, does it become a new object on the battlefield and not get haste, but also not exile at the end of the turn? I think it comes down to what order do the triggers apply, or do I get to order them?

Whip doesn't care if its not a creature anymore, it still exiles it at EOT. It should still get haste as well.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

DarkRider09 posted:

I've been messing around with building a Whip deck for standard just as a goofy, fun project. While thinking of possible whip targets there are some weird interactions that came up.

Becoming a copy of something won't override the effects of whip. It still "knows" that whip put it into play even though it became a copy of something else.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Yeah, I've been really happy with them when I bought from them, but I swear I was checking for some staples like Stormbreath, Caryatid, and a few other things for over a week and they had no stock. Maybe I just had really poor timing because now they have a bunch.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I wish they'd just reprint Squelch. I think it would be basically hilarious in Standard with Fetches and Rhinos and such. (No, they are not going to reprint Stifle)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Skillface posted:

Yeah I'm up in Canada too and FaceToFace is where I get everything. Quick with cheap shipping.

Speaking of shipping to Canada, I need to get some cards and boosters to my parents' place in NS, and I can't find anywhere that will ship for less than $9 (WHAT??). Including face to face. Just one booster and a couple singles is all. We're gonna build a card catalog over the holidays and he needs them for sizing.

I remember shipping was terrible when I lived there but seriously nine bucks?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Angry Grimace posted:

I wish they'd just reprint Squelch. I think it would be basically hilarious in Standard with Fetches and Rhinos and such. (No, they are not going to reprint Stifle)

You can Squelch a Fetch but you can't Squelch a Rhino. Activated abilities only.

Trickbind on the other hand. :getin:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

They could reprint squelch, but they certainly won't while fetches are in standard. I would like them to reprint Stifle, but I would assume they don't want that card in modern.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Puca Trade is weird to me because there is already a thing which I can exchange for cards I have and use to get other cards I want and its called money. The minor advantages Puca Trade offer don't seem worth it when I remember that at no point could I take my Puca Points and buy a phone or pay for a movie like I've done so many types with my stupid dork cardboard fund. Also lmao if you think the police would give two shits about your missing Puca Points if the operators ever just cut and run.
You can't take your magic cards to a theater and pay with them either so I don't know what the gently caress you're :smuggo:ing about here. It's a website for trading cards. Some of us don't have a ton of people to trade with, and even those of us who do might not be able to find someone who (a) wants what we have, (b) has what we want, and (c) is willing to trade A for B. Or they do but they think their Sword of Body & Mind is worth the same as a Fire & Ice. Or they think their top crimping is a feature and yours is a flaw. Or some other dumb bullshit.

Also lmao if you don't think mail fraud is a serious crime.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Cernunnos posted:

You can Squelch a Fetch but you can't Squelch a Rhino. Activated abilities only.

Trickbind on the other hand. :getin:

The problem with Trickbind is Split Second, of course. Even if you can't squelch triggered abilities, almost anything you'd *actually* want to counter is activated anyways, e.g. fetches, Planeswalker abilities, etc.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem with Trickbind is Split Second, of course. Even if you can't squelch triggered abilities, almost anything you'd *actually* want to counter is activated anyways, e.g. fetches, Planeswalker abilities, etc.

I know they won't reprint either right now. They'll probably reprint Squelch at some point but not while Fetches are in Standard. Trickbind will probably get a reprint either in MM2 or whenever they decide to reuse Split Second.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I think my main beef with Pucatrade is that I don't know why nobody seems to be listed for wanting the cards everyone seems to be chasing right now.

Seriously, the only fetch I see with a list of wants is Bloodstained Mire, and none of them are in the united states. :argh:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Man it is pretty annoying to only play in one standard tournament a year. gently caress spending 90 dollars on 2 Sarkhan when they'll be 12 dollars in a year.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Speaking of shipping to Canada, I need to get some cards and boosters to my parents' place in NS, and I can't find anywhere that will ship for less than $9 (WHAT??). Including face to face. Just one booster and a couple singles is all. We're gonna build a card catalog over the holidays and he needs them for sizing.

I remember shipping was terrible when I lived there but seriously nine bucks?

Buying anything but singles is pretty terrible in terms of shipping costs. I feel for ya.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Count Bleck posted:

I think my main beef with Pucatrade is that I don't know why nobody seems to be listed for wanting the cards everyone seems to be chasing right now.

Seriously, the only fetch I see with a list of wants is Bloodstained Mire, and none of them are in the united states. :argh:
Well it's first come, first served on sending and you can use an add on to refresh the page and notify you if you can send a card out. So for popular cards, people get the points to get the card and everyone with card sees it on the send list and someone clicks to send it within seconds.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Serperoth posted:

What about Breakfast Burrito? A bunch of random stuff appears and implodes, then a shifty dude pops in, who does a thing? I'm stumped.

A shady looking wizard opens up his trenchcoat to reveal row after row of random jewelry and trinkets, then gets clubbed upside the head by another shady looking dude and then an impossibly huge monster appears out of nowhere and then you die.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Serperoth posted:

What about Breakfast Burrito? A bunch of random stuff appears and implodes, then a shifty dude pops in, who does a thing? I'm stumped.

A wizard uses jewels to bribe a dude from Ravnica to find him the biggest graveyard around. Because the wizard doesn't have any territory, the dude finds a massive graveyard that already has some ghostly jellyfish in it. Then the wizard reanimates a giant monster.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

You can't take your magic cards to a theater and pay with them either so I don't know what the gently caress you're :smuggo:ing about here. It's a website for trading cards.

Its a website where you exchange cards for points, and then you exchange those points for other cards. That's not trading cards, its selling them and buying them. I have no problem with that, I do it all the time, I just prefer to do it with a currency I can use at more places than a single website for niche collectibles.

If there is one thing I think people like about Puca Trade its the automation. The thing I hear most people complain about selling/buying and trading in general is haggling for prices. Puca Trade takes that out of the equation and I think people love that, something about not having to deal with setting prices or considering an offer makes people willing to accept the fact that you're essentially selling and buying cards except never getting any cash.

I don't mind dealing with an occasional low ball or a dude that wants SCG retail for his stuff, and so I'd rather get rid of my poo poo on TCG Player and have cash than deal with Puca Trade.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 21, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Man it is pretty annoying to only play in one standard tournament a year. gently caress spending 90 dollars on 2 Sarkhan when they'll be 12 dollars in a year.

So sell them right after the tourney...

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

TheKingofSprings posted:

I assume that's for the Fusion 5K?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mikujin posted:

I assume that's for the Fusion 5K?

Yeah, I'm getting 2 decks ready this year so it's actually a pain, haha

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ciprian Maricon posted:

If there is one thing I think people like about Puca Trade its the automation. The thing I hear most people complain about selling/buying and trading in general is haggling for prices. Puca Trade takes that out of the equation and I think people love that, something about not having to deal with setting prices or considering an offer makes people willing to accept the fact that you're essentially selling and buying cards except never getting any cash.
Exactly. It if it was just a forum where you could barter trades, I wouldn't bother, but completely taking all the bother of haggling out of the equation is the innovation that makes it worthwhile. I mail out packs of cards I don't want while randomly getting cards I do want showing up in my mailbox.

It's a bad way of acquiring specific cards quickly (unless you put just those cards and nothing else on your want list), but if you're looking for random weird cards for Cube or Commander or whatever it's a great way to just turn your unwanted cards into those cards you do want.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Count Bleck posted:

It's because there's tons of people furiously :f5:ing all day everyday to send out cards and wants only show up on the list once people have enough points to afford it. Because of that, almost anything that is >500 points and is currently being opened gets snapped up immediately so you have to be the first one who sees it. I had a Flooded Strand in my wants list but not enough points to afford it and someone picked it up within seconds of a trade I sent out being confirmed, which kicked my available points into the range of affording the Strand. I'd recommend picking up a browser plugin that refreshes a page and checks for changes, I use check4change and it lets me catch a lot more trades than I usually would, although I still miss out on a bunch because someone beat me to it by a few seconds. Another fun trick is to keep an eye on the want lists of people who are sending you cards, if the points you give them when you confirm the trade puts them into affording a high value card you can easily be the first person to click it.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Its a website where you exchange cards for points, and then you exchange those points for other cards. That's not trading cards, its selling them and buying them. I have no problem with that, I do it all the time, I just prefer to do it with a currency I can use at more places than a single website for niche collectibles.

I don't mind dealing with an occasional low ball or a dude that wants SCG retail for his stuff, and so I'd rather get rid of my poo poo on TCG Player and have cash than deal with Puca Trade.

It's way easier buying cards with money but it's hard to get the same amount money out of selling your cards outside of the trading thread here. Pucatrade is nice because it strips a lot of the bullshit out of the trading process and doesn't have any discrepancies between what it costs to send and receive cards outside of whatever market changes happen during the trade.

For example, I had an extra Polluted Delta I wanted to change into a Flooded Strand. I could try and find someone local to trade with, which is never not awful So, what do you value this at :smug:. I could try and set something up on the trade thread here, which requires someone being willing to make that exact trade, or I could sell my Delta in the thread for ~$14.50 and buy a Strand for ~$13.50 not counting fees, which requires someone willing to buy and also willing to sell. I could buylist at SCG with store credit and pay them a couple extra bucks for the Strand, so I'm essentially getting a Strand for like $5. Or I could do what I did and send out a Delta on PucaTrade for 2200 points and get a Strand sent out to me for 1800 points. It's not without it's hassles, but it makes trading cards way simpler and lets me turn $1-5 cards into $30+ dollar cards or grab whatever dollar card I need to fill out a deck. If I'm ever in a place where I'm sitting on a ton of points and decide I need to cash out I can just list whatever staple cards are buylisting well and drain my account.

fake edit: The automation is what really shines, I can grind trades for a few days and then list what I want and then ignore it for a week or two and stuff starts showing up in my mailbox, it's hard to beat how cool that is.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Serperoth posted:

A undercover wizard by means of dark rituals and precious baubles bribes his way into gaining temporary power to summon unimaginable horrors.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

A undercover wizard by means of dark rituals and precious baubles bribes his way into gaining temporary power to summon unimaginable horrors.

Now explain the Laboratory Maniac version.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cernunnos posted:

Instead of a monster, the wizard revives a mad scientist and helps him to complete his plan.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

Instead of a monster, the wizard revives a mad scientist and helps him to complete his plan.

I'm pretty sure you could argue it's two mad scientists. Plus the part where an angel is enlisted.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Zoness posted:

I'm pretty sure you could argue it's two mad scientists. Plus the part where an angel is enlisted.

I was thinking of the Underworld Cerberus version, since that's better than the Angel of Glory's Rise version. I suppose I need to mention the part where the wizard first finds the graveyard and reanimates a hellhound, and uses that to learn how to revive everything in that graveyard.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yeah, I'm getting 2 decks ready this year so it's actually a pain, haha

I have two friends going - one on B/W aggro and another with a pretty stock Jeskai list. You won't get to play me in the mirror this year since I'm still in the US for school. Oddly enough I may end up in Brandon next year, though, as my fiancé has job prospects there.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cernunnos posted:

Everyone knows the story. Two wizards vie for dominion of a battlefield. They draw upon the mana from lands far and near to wage terrible war upon each other, raining death and destruction on friend and foe alike. It's a scene every man, woman, and child of the multiverse is raised to hear, and to fear.

Not this wizard.

I know the things that other wizards fear to believe. I have no connections to the land; after the things I have done, the mana will no longer hear my call.

The mana I draw, it is more precious than that. I hear the call of the Spirit Guides. They provide for me. When I hunger for more, I sacrifice the paltry baubles my rogues have furnished me to power the darkest rituals, secrets gleaned from the studies of Virot Maglan, himself. But never, never will I hear the call of the mountains and plains. I will never fill myself with the filth of the swamp or the ambient energies of the forests. That is for the weak, the mortal, the sane.

I give everything to the magic. I leave nothing behind. Other mages, they amass a wealth of treasures and spellbooks. They are fools. I know that by surrendering myself to the magic, body and soul, I will achieve a freedom and a power unrivaled amongst the planes.

Terrible things escape from my mind when the magic takes hold. Horrors lain dormant, illusions made real. But in the end, I know she'll come. She always does. She can't help herself. She must make clean that which I have stained with my foul pacts.

She once more gazes upon the hellish nightmares I have wrought, and speaks the words as only she can: "Justice isn't done until undeath is undone."

It's over. In the blink of an eye, my beautiful angel has swept the darkness away. Replaced the foul beasts I have contructed with powerful wizards; allies to tame my madness.

With every victory, the sadness in her grows. I know that my madness will never allow us to be together, but for this fleeting moment, I will take my victory, and to hell with the consequences. We will dance this duet again and again until every wizard has knelt before our might. Maybe then, I'll let her take me away to the light. Maybe I deserve to join the other twisted abominations that she shepherds from this existence.

Until then, I'll be here, waiting... with my burrito.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Its a website where you exchange cards for points, and then you exchange those points for other cards. That's not trading cards, its selling them and buying them.
By this logic all trading by a set price guide is just rapid fire buying and selling. I really don't understand what your actual issue is here; you'd seriously rather sell your cards and lose money, and then spend more money later on to get other cards using that cash, than you would to trade cards on a site for trading and get those cards' actual values? And this is somehow better because "heh, I get cash :smug:"? Because I would rather get cards from other people worth $X in exchange for my cards worth $X. That is what a trade is. That we used puca's assigned values doesn't change that. Or is it that you've never been in or seen a 3+ person trade? Because it's exactly what goes on through puca but entirely automated.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Isn't the value of every card skimmed off the top via points?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Molybdenum posted:

Well I mean, would you expect any middle-man to not extract value from transactions he's mediating?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Molybdenum posted:

I've seen this mentioned a few times in the thread and I'm not sure what it means. Like when I'm sending a card it'll say I earn 750 points but the person receiving the card will have to pay 770 points for it or something? I feel like I would have noticed that by now, it doesn't seem to be the case.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
The beauty of PucaTrade is that it shaves off fractions of cents by rounding down on each transaction ... I've created a program that takes these fractions of a cent and deposits them into an offshore account where, in due time, I will be able to move to an island in the Caribbean!

A flawless plan, if I do say so myself.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Yeah, I don't think that's really a thing but it has been mentioned here. I've never noticed a discrepancy between the points I get for sending out a card and the points that the recipient actually sends to me. On top of that, the send points feature for uncommon members doesn't shave any points either, if I send a buddy 200 points they get 200 points. It is possible for a card someone sends to you to be worth more or less by the time it gets to you, but that’s just a basic reality of trading magical cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
But why use points at all? Why not just cards at tcg mid and you get a credit you can use for other cards? I suspect the point valuation masks the price of a card, like how you bought points on Xbox to buy download games (no idea if they still do it this way).

• Locked thread