Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

ETB posted:

She's also the Avatar.

Does that give her +10 Poison Resist? Or maybe she was subconsciously bending the metal away from her nervous system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Armor of Plot +5

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
The korra game is fun, if you like platinum games anyway.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rawrbomb posted:

The korra game is fun, if you like platinum games anyway.

I like how you don't have all of your bending abilities until the game is basically over.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Deakul posted:

I like how you don't have all of your bending abilities until the game is basically over.

Every Platinum fan knows the first playthrough is just practice. :getin:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

Except like, all of them.

The Bayonetta titles are pretty much the only Platinum games that have gotten consistently good reviews. Wonderful 101, Revengeance, and Vanquish all got decidedly mixed receptions from review outlets.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Spergatory posted:

The Bayonetta titles are pretty much the only Platinum games that have gotten consistently good reviews. Wonderful 101, Revengeance, and Vanquish all got decidedly mixed receptions from review outlets.

What's "mixed?" I'm looking at these scores and they're overwhelmingly positive for each.

gently caress it, whatever.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

GigaPeon posted:

What's a lethal dose of mercury? That was a lot of mercury. She should be a vegetable.

She and every other character has taken a lethal dose of blunt force trauma in approximately every fight in the entire series. Everyone in Avatar should be a vegetable.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Re: the game.

I'm dumb and basically handicapping myself by using those two talismans that double SP/XP but halve life and attack power. In effect risking getting owned by every goddamn triad group because I hit like a feather and die like grass.

Reinforce to me why this is dumb.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

hiddenriverninja posted:

Re: the game.

I'm dumb and basically handicapping myself by using those two talismans that double SP/XP but halve life and attack power. In effect risking getting owned by every goddamn triad group because I hit like a feather and die like grass.

Reinforce to me why this is dumb.

Don't get hit and learn to combo and your ridiculous handicap will become incredibly rewarding.

so platinum.txt, really.

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.
I don't know if this was ever addressed in the show, but is Prince Wu an Earth bender? Was the Queen an Earth bender? Or are they just a royal lineage of non-benders that happen to rule the Earth Kingdom (or did)? Considering the snooty royalty character type they created for both the Queen and Wu, it would almost seem weird to see him actually bend something.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

DutchDupe posted:

I don't know if this was ever addressed in the show, but is Prince Wu an Earth bender? Was the Queen an Earth bender? Or are they just a royal lineage of non-benders that happen to rule the Earth Kingdom (or did)? Considering the snooty royalty character type they created for both the Queen and Wu, it would almost seem weird to see him actually bend something.

The original king was not a bender, or if he was he was never shown bending. I suspect the Royals are not benders.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's a good game, even without the "for a quickly made, low budget, licensed game." There's not much to explore in its systems, but it's nowhere near as shallow as Mad World was, and there's solid groundwork here for a bigger sequel. I'm sure people who just want to play through once and be done will be disappointed, and deaths not effecting your medals is odd, but I'd think you'd have to be insane to think it wasn't a solid title.

The bad reviews, like Vanquish and W101, really read like they need to get good. The naga sections are iffy at best, but if you get hit outside of that it's your own stupid fault. See gamespot:

quote:

You might be in the midst of a combo and miss the chance to perform a finishing move because the button prompt appears so briefly and inconsistently. You might block in a timely fashion, yet still get flung into the energy barrier that surrounds the combat arena by a particularly powerful bender--and then get stuck in the barrier and pummeled to death. You might accidentally initiate a quick-time based melee sequence, but fail because your fingers were finishing up the desired combo and the QTE prompt didn't allow time to adjust.

You can cancel out of any move into a finisher, you are fully loving invincible when you do a parry counter, and you have a solid second before the QTEs start.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 21, 2014

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

MrAristocrates posted:

What's "mixed?" I'm looking at these scores and they're overwhelmingly positive for each.

gently caress it, whatever.

Clearly you aren't familiar with the concept of the Four Point Scale.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

GigaPeon posted:

Does that give her +10 Poison Resist? Or maybe she was subconsciously bending the metal away from her nervous system?
The Avatar state making her force out a bit of the poison passively would be a :spergin: logical explanation yeah. :v:

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
The metal in Korra is totally a metaphor for her own fear. This is called a narrative device. It's much more illustrative to an audience if what's holding a character back is expressed in a literal internal poison, instead of merely an abstract, purely mental hang up. The big challenge of season 4 is Korra must conquer her fear and grow as a person and that other people can't fight your battles for you. If the thing holding her back is fixable via an external medical procedure performed by someone else, it really flies in the face of that. Itd be dreadfully dull. The show has set up that Korra's issue is not just physical, but mental, but entirely internal that she must fix herself. It's called a metaphor.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Korra will not be able to remove the metal until she is in a proper mental state to benefit from it. It's just a very blunt bit of symbolism.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

blurry! posted:

The metal in Korra is totally a metaphor for her own fear. This is called a narrative device. It's much more illustrative to an audience if what's holding a character back is expressed in a literal internal poison, instead of merely an abstract, purely mental hang up. The big challenge of season 4 is Korra must conquer her fear and grow as a person and that other people can't fight your battles for you. If the thing holding her back is fixable via an external medical procedure performed by someone else, it really flies in the face of that. Itd be dreadfully dull. The show has set up that Korra's issue is not just physical, but mental, but entirely internal that she must fix herself. It's called a metaphor.
Yeah, I think I understand the intent of the writers, but it's very clumsily done. A medical condition is poor choice of metaphor. The show as a whole has handled its themes very clumsily.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 21, 2014

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS

Baron Bifford posted:

Yeah, I think I understand the intent of the writers, but it's very clumsily done. The show as a whole has handled its themes very clumsily.

This children's cartoon about a teenage girl who can control the four elements by punching the air really hard isn't scientifically accurate in its portrayal of the debilitating disease of chronic mercury magic metal poisoning! :argh:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
This show wants to be more than your average dumb cartoon.

By "clumsy", I don't mean lack of scientific accuracy (I know little of mercury poisoning anyway). I mean that it's a poorly-designed metaphor for the theme of overcoming one's fears and doubts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

This show wants to be more than your average dumb cartoon.

Sickness as metaphor for personal growth is extremely common writing and the fact that it isn't medically accurate is completely and utterly unimportant. Doubly so when you're talking about unnamed fantasy metal which may or may not have identical properties.

Like, seriously, this is not just 'dumb cartoon.' It is writing both high and low across all forms of media. Realism is rarely the end goal of fiction.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I know that, but I still think it was poorly executed. When Toph gives her dumb diagnosis, I was thinking just give Korra a loving sedative and yank out the metal poison yourself.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Baron Bifford posted:

I know that, but I still think it was poorly executed. When Toph gives her dumb diagnosis, I was thinking just give Korra a loving sedative and yank out the metal poison yourself.

Let me just pull a fresh tranquilizer out of my WELL STOCKED SWAMP PANTRY.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Is the world map from Avatar inspired from any real world source? Because I saw this at a high end furniture boutique yesterday and burst out laughing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

Yeah, I'm sure Toph keeps powerful sedatives in her swamp hole.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I'm sure Toph keeps powerful sedatives in her swamp hole.

MrAristocrates, I hope you are considering this as a thread title.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Point taken. She is absolutely terrible.

Toshimo posted:

I second this. Then all of SA can sense Baron Bifford is at it again.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Zypher posted:

Is the world map from Avatar inspired from any real world source? Because I saw this at a high end furniture boutique yesterday and burst out laughing.

How much was it?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Toshimo posted:

Jesus loving christ I hate you all so much.

Honestly, I'll consider it.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS

Baron Bifford posted:

Point taken. She is absolutely terrible.

I second this. Then all of SA can sense Baron Bifford is at it again.

I feel like you are a very opinionated individual and there is little point to arguing against your incredibly subjective points. I found the episode very enjoyable and look forward to watching Korra work to overcome her present problems.

On second thought you just called Toph terrible.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Rosalind posted:

How much was it?

$5800

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Let me just pull a fresh tranquilizer out of my WELL STOCKED SWAMP PANTRY.

It's called brick to head.

Or just waiting until she falls asleep.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mymla posted:

There's a reddit for that.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Mymla posted:

The last thing I think Korra needs is more head trauma.

I think this whole argument is equivalent to the Lord of the Rings "why didn't the eagles just fly Frodo to Mordor?" argument. It's because it's the hero's journey and that means the hero has to solve their own problems and overcome obstacles. If the mentor figure just keeps stepping in and solving them, then there's no tension.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Rosalind posted:

"why didn't the eagles just fly Frodo to Mordor?"
:argh: The whole goddamn point of the quest was to be inconspicuous arrrhghgghghgh okay I'm fine :argh:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Zypher posted:

This can't be a coincidence.

For a cartoon poster, basically. A fancy one.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Don't you mean $58008?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Rewatching the trailer. There's probably not much basis for this but I'm speculating anyway; I think the Spirit Vines are going to be used to create bender-mechs. Think about it; we already had mechatanks with the equalists, so this new round of giant robots has to offer something they didn't. There are a lot of shots of those new mechs shooting either fire or lightning, and I don't think there are to many firebenders in Kuvira's army. It could just be a powerful flamethrower, but it would be much cooler if it were somehow related to bending. One of the last things that makes the Avatar special is the power to bend multiple elements. If they can create bending machines, that could drive her identity crisis even further. What would she have left besides the Avatar State?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Considering what you say, what makes the Avatar special in the first place? She can bend all four elements, so she's... four benders in one, I suppose. That's hardly an army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Having her soul bound to a divine spirit, maybe.

• Locked thread